PDA

View Full Version : Frame pack minimums (internal or external)

pushbush
10-29-2010, 02:18 PM
A lot of guys are talking about packing out an animal either boned out or not with their packs. 1). What do you do with all the stuff that is already in you pack for your day ( or multiple day ) trip. 2). What are your minimum contents in your pack.
Just wondering how you can pack out a whole deer, for example, if your pack is all ready 1/4 to 1/2 full with stuff, especially if you are on a 4-5 day hunt.

GoatGuy
10-29-2010, 03:12 PM
If you're backpacking it's bone out, the meat can go in garbage bags at the bottom of the pack. If there's no room in the pack take light stuff clothing etc put it in a bag and strap it to the outside. Same goes for tent, sleeping bag, thermarest etc. Also if you got meat that probably means you can chow down and eat a bunch of your food.

Your pack probably weighs 40-65 lbs + meat.

Nobody cares if you look like a gypsy!

swampthing
10-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Many packs have separate compartments. Use the small ones for your gear and put the meat in the big one. I use an eberlestock j107 which is an expandable pack. You unzip it from a daypack and it turns into a "freighter" with a compartment for meat. If you use an external frame you can attach your daypack to it and just strap your game bags to it. Have fun.

Gunner Staal
10-29-2010, 06:51 PM
I use a Tatanka 115 litre military style pack. Lots of room. Best purchase you can make is the Outdoor Research waterproof compression sacks. Gettem at Farwest or MEC. Get the large size. You can compress down all extra clothing, bag anything at all and strap to the outside of your pack when you get an animal down. Even in pouring rain your gear will be dry hanging on the outside of the pack. Key is to only go with the essentials. I mountaineer all summer in the Rockies and Monashees and you learn pretty quick that the light weight high end gear may be expensive but its worth it. Leave what doesn't have to come at home. Think multi-use.....my coffee cup is also my bowl.....my gortex jacket is insulated instead of having a winter jacket and a rain jacket...so on and so on. I personally find mountaineering packs more multi use and functional than hunting packs. Just my opinion though.

Mountain Man
10-29-2010, 07:36 PM
My method is as follows.

Badlands day pack.
Water
Jerky and cliff bars
Lighter
Shit tickets
Rubber Gloves
Knife
Folding Bone Saw
Pain killers
Duct tape / flagging tape
Extra shirt
Extra clip
Calls
Binos
Spotter
Tri pod
Video camera [always]
Still Camera [always]
1 pillow case or garbage bag, or game bag, ect.
This can weigh 20 to 30lbs sometimes. I bring way to much stuff but I rely like filming and taking pictures.

I take this pack and I use three black bungee straps and strap it to my aluminum pack frame. When I shoot something I put the De boned meat in a large pillow case and strap it to the pack board. I then wear my full badlands day pack backwards on my chest kinda like one of those baby carriers, then get my full pack frame on , carry my riffle and walk out in that fashion. 100 lbs on my back, 20 lbs off my front. Its not bad depending on the terrain but it is usually all down hill. The hardest thing is trying to get to your feet if you slip or sit down to rest ! Lol I have done this with two elk and two mule deer now and it works great. In saying that this is also why im getting horses, im getting way to fat now ! :cry:

moosinaround
10-29-2010, 10:43 PM
120Lbs???:eek:!!!!! Holy Fack!!! I packed out 2-100lbs calf halfs on sunday and it freakin near broke me in half!!! Actually might have been heavier than 100lbs each but anyways!! I am using the Cabela's Big game pack frame, and it is the first frame I have used! It was awesome! Once all the straps and belts are adjusted it actually packs the weight quite nicely!! I will take a tarp and some more rope or chord next time though. It would have been nice to have tied it a little sturdier to the frame so the weight didn't shift as much! I will be getting a nicer pack if i go in the mountains next Aug though. Something built with better stiching and a little heavier material. Moosin

pushbush
10-30-2010, 07:52 AM
So what would be your guys minimum gear requirements to take with you for a day hunt and a couple day hunt then.

kennyj
10-30-2010, 08:08 AM
If I'm backpacking I make an extra trip out with the meat.Several on large animals. I don't mind making meat runs. Heavy on the way out, nice walk with an empty pack on the way back in. On day hunts I put the meat in the main compartment (badlands 2200 pack) and everything else straps on the outside.
kenny