PDA

View Full Version : Real or Photoshop?

Glenny
10-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Got this in a email the other day. Kinda spooky but maybe a hoax. This is the story that accompanied it.

"
Well the story sounds like bullshit, but who knows? Don’t know who this fellow
is but a good yarn is always welcome.
The elk is impressive .....

“This is freaking scary.As you know I was alone when I downed this elk.
I was using my camera's timer attached to my shooting stick to give me
enough time to get into the picture. I knew there were a lot of cougars in
the area but had no idea they would come in this close to people. He
had to be within 10 feet from me and I didn't even know it. I about
pooped my pants when I looked at the pictures the next morning and saw
he was there.”

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_640x480_.jpg

swampdonkey
10-29-2010, 12:28 PM
photo shop been on here before

randyhood
10-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Well, photoshop or not, is there any real danger with cougars while hunting in BC? I talked to a guy at a sporting goods shop in Vancouver about hunting in the Boston Bar area and other nearby places, and he said there are a lot of black bears and cougars there. Since I hunt bow only and am new to BC, this has me initially worried, but I'm still considering going on a hunt there. Is it too risky?

10-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Ya that one has been around class already.

Look at its feet and the angle of the slope. And think if a cat was that close to you, ( not that im a cat pro) I'd think it would be in a bit more ready to pounce kinda sneeky position. Nt just lookin at ya goin " hey can i have some?"

10-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Well, photoshop or not, is there any real danger with cougars while hunting in BC? I talked to a guy at a sporting goods shop in Vancouver about hunting in the Boston Bar area and other nearby places, and he said there are a lot of black bears and cougars there. Since I hunt bow only and am new to BC, this has me initially worried, but I'm still considering going on a hunt there. Is it too risky?

Hells ya! bears are around every tree, and the cats are it the tree tops waiting for ya!

No, I have hunted Van isle all my life. Fished boat access streams and all the like. Bears around every where. I have had zero preditory action against me. It does happen but the numbers of attacks versus the number of people in the forrest make your chances pretty good you'll be alright.

As for the cats. I have spent allot of time in the forrest and have never seen one. Some friends have seen a couple. Cat hunters can do really well. But again, id worry more about shooting yourself in the foot than getting eaten.

Glenny
10-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Ya that one has been around class already.

Look at its feet and the angle of the slope. And think if a cat was that close to you, ( not that im a cat pro) I'd think it would be in a bit more ready to pounce kinda sneeky position. Nt just lookin at ya goin " hey can i have some?"
That makes sense. That close should be in a more pouncey position. He more like in a "got milk" position. haha

Glenny
10-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Sorrry peops. Didn't know this had already done the rounds.

warnniklz
10-29-2010, 12:45 PM

The Roxy in Vancouver has some pretty dangerous cougars... trust me

10-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Hey big glenn,,, Your location is in the ocean?
So like are you frome there? or are you just there now? :)

Gilmore
10-29-2010, 01:28 PM
I personally have ran into 4 cougars while hunting, and only once was I not seen by the cat. Maybe thats a little on the high side for encounters or maybe I'm just lucky. To me when it comes to cats is how many times have we been observed by a big cougar while hunting and didn't have a clue? You probably don't want to know. When the hairs stand up on the back of your neck while still hunting through the big timber at last light, and you know what I'm talking about, I can guarantee you it ain't the boogie man.

LYKTOHUNT
10-29-2010, 01:58 PM
You stand a way higher chance getting killed or hurt driving to Boston Bar than getting attacked by critters. Just go dont worry about it. The only cougers you are going to have to worry about are in the bar at Boston Bar

huntinnewbie
10-29-2010, 01:59 PM
years ago, i think pre photoshop, I saw a picture of a family on vacation in California somewhere.
Anyways the people where hiking and taking pictures of each other.
One of the photos revealed, after they were developed, a cougar hiding in the tall grass. it was behind one of the people in the pic and you could just make out it's face through the tall grass.
They had no idea it was there until they viewed the pics.
Wish I could find the pic now.
I am positive that it was a legit pic.

Maestro
10-29-2010, 02:16 PM
As computer software engineer familiar with computer graphics I can say : It's photoshop.

Swamp Rat
10-29-2010, 03:04 PM
http://usera.ImageCave.com/chef/GH1-copy.jpg

The cougar is believable..but this?? :confused:

twenty_to_three
10-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Another thing that says photoshop are the eyes from the flash. Would they not be greenish rather than that flaming yellow?

Ive taken photos of a house cat in the dark and they're green. The house cats scrambling to avoid my car tires are also greenish in the headlights.

Guys who doctor photographs are not much better than the worms who make viruses in my opinion. Im sure there are some photos out there of genuinely huge bucks and bears but tough to say what is real and what is not anymore.

The Dawg
10-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Years ago on his ranch, my gf's father found a deer partially buried at the base of a tree. He took a few pics of it, and when they were developed you could see the cat perched in the tree above them. They had no idea it was there.

Creepiest pic I've ever seen. I'll have to see if I can get it and scan it to post.

mud-dog27
10-29-2010, 11:30 PM
The Roxy in Vancouver has some pretty dangerous cougars... trust me

seen a lynx but never seen any cougars in the bush.....i hear theres a lot in the langley area lots are spotted at night on the weekends around the corner of 203rd/fraser highway :mrgreen:

Glenny
10-30-2010, 04:06 AM
Hey big glenn,,, Your location is in the ocean?
So like are you frome there? or are you just there now? :)
bbububublerebble busted! I'm really Merman. Close friends can call me Mer unless in formal situations. Thenit's just Mermanius.

Walksalot
10-30-2010, 05:16 AM
One should not be paranoid when in the woods but one must be cautious and alert. Some of the critters which call the woods home appreciate an easy meal. Looking up into the trees and glancing over ones shoulder is simply common sense.

ruger#1
10-30-2010, 06:05 AM
Do any of you guys use your trail cams to see what comes back to the gut pile. This year the deer I shot. The gut pile was gone in a short time. Found a cat track or wolf in a cow turd that looked like a cat or wolf track.

randyhood
11-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Ok, on that note, what about killing a cougar in self-defense? I don't know how likely that scenario is, and I wouldn't think twice if I were in Texas, but this ain't Texas.

JAFA
11-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Ok, on that note, what about killing a cougar in self-defense? I don't know how likely that scenario is, and I wouldn't think twice if I were in Texas, but this ain't Texas.

Sooo... you would let it kill you just in case your wrong? I am sure you don't mean that LOL.

Don't care where I am Texas or no if I am in the need for self defense... it's dead.

Regardless of what "it" may be.

Jim.