PDA

View Full Version : .223 dropped a blackie

rollingrock
05-22-2006, 12:05 PM
A friend of mine took his two boys, first time hunters, for bear hunting this week end. First morning saw a huge blakie standing on its hind feet eating tree leaves 50 yards away. The older boy was either too excited or nervous to hold the gun steady! The bear wandered away!

The second day, which was Sunday, they went to the same spot. I guess the weatherr played its part, cuz it was getting sunny and the bears were all out for food after rain. They saw three blakies in a row, but only one gave them a good shot. The younger one took it at 50 yards with his .223, the bear dropped right on the spot.

So .223 does kill the bears!:lol:

CanAm500
05-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Well any bullet will kill, its just the power...

Anyway, congrats for him and his first bear!!!

moose hunter
05-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Screw All You Guys U Suck :d:d U Told Me My 22-250 Wouldnt Do It But If A 223 Can It Sure As Hell Could Muahahah

guntech
05-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Black Bears have been killed with .17 calibers too.....

However it is not a good idea to use fragile bullets in small calibers on heavy skinned animals purposely.

I think only BC has such lax regulations.

moose hunter
05-22-2006, 01:30 PM
me and my 22-250 are going out tommorow then

brotherjack
05-22-2006, 01:32 PM
A well placed bullet from just about anything will kill just about anything.

However, an only marginally well placed bullet from a very high powered rifle will kill just about anything - where from a smaller gun, it will not.

But a poorly placed shot won't kill anything at all, no mater how big (or small) the gun.

Will
05-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Would I want my Son shooting a bear with a 223 ??:|

Congrats to the Lad on his Bear.

ratherbefishin
05-22-2006, 02:07 PM
the world record grizzly was killed with a .22 single shot Cooey-but that sure as heck doesn't make it the weapon of choice.The minimum calibre I would choose would be a 30/30 at ranges under 100 yards

LeverActionJunkie
05-22-2006, 02:20 PM
I didn't know it was legal to use a .223 on big game used to be in the "Unlawful" section to use rifle smaller than 6mm(.243). If it is Legal now, it shouldn't be, there are plenty of other calibers suitable for youth, and recoil sensitive shooters to use.

CanAm500
05-22-2006, 02:45 PM
I didn't know it was legal to use a .223 on big game used to be in the "Unlawful" section to use rifle smaller than 6mm(.243). If it is Legal now, it shouldn't be, there are plenty of other calibers suitable for youth, and recoil sensitive shooters to use.

I thought .223 was ment for military use and varmints?

Mother
05-22-2006, 03:22 PM
I want to send my congrats to the young man with the .223. Good shooting kid.

Will
05-22-2006, 03:45 PM
In BC it's perfectly legal to use ANY centrefire on Big Game animals....just NO rimfires.
The only species that has a "minimum" is Buffalo:|

The 'Hummer'
05-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Myself, I would prefer something with a little more stomp.:| Perhaps a .223 might be acceptable in the hands of an experienced shooter but a young person, on their first big game animal. A questionable decission/judgement at best.:roll: There are better choices. Years ago, a woman by the name of Mrs. Joe Wendal who lived in Barkerville, used to hunt Grizz with a .22 Savage Hi Power. For the most part though, thats the exception rather than the rule. As I said, there are better, more acceptable choices.

3kills
05-22-2006, 04:48 PM
moosehunter dont use the 22-250 it will do it but u hav to have a perfect shot in the perfect place...

rollingrock
05-22-2006, 04:48 PM
the one they took was a 5'2. but it's a good shot for sure, good boy! :)

bsa30-06
05-22-2006, 04:53 PM
congrats to the young fella.

Freshtracks
05-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Well first I'll congratulate the lad for getting his first bear .. well done.

As for his father chosing a .223 as the weapon of choice .. I'd question his thinking. I'm thinking the lad has put in his time on the bench shooting, so he's probably shooting savy ... however I'm sure he doesn't understand the ballistics issue invovled here. I knew a buddy that swore on using a 22-250 for bruins. Until he lost a bear (see my pic gallery re- Dad's '96 bear) by taking a poor shot. He didn't have much to brag about on the drive back. I'd keep a junior to the minimum of a .243 for starting out on bears and deer, it's very doable. Anything smaller ... dads pushing the envelope.

My 2 cents.

000buck
05-22-2006, 05:33 PM
well done to the youngster, he may just be as good a shot AS I WISH I WAS but .223 is way to light just as well take a knife. 0 margin of error or your gunna be lookin for that p.o.'d bear and probably lose him cause you didn't HAVE ENOUGH GUN, that is your fault and you deserve to feel like crap if it happens that way.

brotherjack
05-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Don't misunderstand what I'm about to say - I'd want more gun for myself if I was doing the shootin - but come on, lighten up ya'll. People hunt bears with a bow and arrow - which has WAY less margin for error than a .223 ever will.

I say - congrats to the kid on some fine shooting, and thumbs up to his dad, for taking the time with the kid to teach him what to do with that rifle. Time spent with yer kids means so much more than just about any other way you can spend it (IMHO).

:)

i6s1
05-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Congrats!

The proof is in the pudding. 'Nuff said.

moose hunter
05-22-2006, 07:19 PM
well i dont doubt my shooting especialy with the 22-250 have put almost 300 rounds through it at the 250 m range

rrfred
05-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Glad it worked this time; sometimes 22 calibers can do spectacular things on deer or similar sized game; but not always; Only time I would even think to use a. 223 on a bity creature is if it was an emergency and that was all in hand.

todbartell
05-22-2006, 09:31 PM
any clue as to what bullet was used?? :)

PGKris
05-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Moose_hunter you're a goddam idiot if you do it! Thats friggin stupid and anyone who actually considers a 22-250, or a .223 for that matter, enough gun to kill a black bear is just plain dumb. Enough with the pop guns for bears! Give them the respect they deserve!

Gateholio
05-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Screw All You Guys U Suck :d:d U Told Me My 22-250 Wouldnt Do It But If A 223 Can It Sure As Hell Could Muahahah

Depending on the bullet used, and the range, the 22-250 may be a WORSE choice thana 223.

The 223 wil do it, but it is not my first choice of a big game cartridge, especially in inexperienced hands

Marc
05-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Moose_hunter you're a goddam idiot if you do it! Thats friggin stupid and anyone who actually considers a 22-250, or a .223 for that matter, enough gun to kill a black bear is just plain dumb. Enough with the pop guns for bears! Give them the respect they deserve!

Chris, Moose Hunter is just looking for a rise, and it looks like he got one. Anyone who owns a 300 win mag would never consider using a 22-250 for bear. If he did he needs to have his head examined. Sooner or later someone not using enough gun for the job is either going to get himself in trouble or worst leave a wounded animal in the woods to suffer.

I'm in the military and I shoot the .223 often enough and I'm quite proficient with it out to 200 meters with open sights, but I'd never choose a calibre like that for big game if I had a more suitable cartridge available.

Marc.

PGKris
05-22-2006, 09:49 PM
I don't care if he was looking for a rise. the point is, this whole discussion should not be happening. Anyone with half a brain knows that any calibre under a .270 is too small for bears. Have some respect for the critters you're hunting. It just bugs me that people will actually wander around in the bush with pop-guns banging at anything that moves.

rollingrock
05-22-2006, 09:53 PM
any clue as to what bullet was used?? :)

No, I forgot to ask him. I'm gonna meet him this week end though.

rollingrock
05-22-2006, 09:56 PM
oh come on guys, the boy is 15. I think he did a good job on the bear. Don't forget there is another boy holding a 300 right beside him. :)

youngfellla
05-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Anyone with half a brain knows that any calibre under a .270 is too small for bears. .

Grizzly, yeah.

Black bears, I disagree. You ever seen what a .257 Weatherby and a 115 Triple Shock X will do to a bear? It kills them. Dead. Quickly. :twisted:

Now excuse me while I go search for the other half of my brain.:p

3kills
05-22-2006, 10:13 PM
PGkris i disagree with u...it wouldnt be my choice either but u dont have to havea 270 or bigger to kill a bear...inexperienced hunters such as moosehunter who has already lost one (in my opinion) should NOT be shooting a bear with a 22-250

Marc
05-23-2006, 07:55 AM
PGkris i disagree with u...it wouldnt be my choice either but u dont have to havea 270 or bigger to kill a bear...inexperienced hunters such as moosehunter who has already lost one (in my opinion) should NOT be shooting a bear with a 22-250

Moosehunter and moose hunter are two different people.

ratherbefishin
05-23-2006, 08:50 AM
this discussion could go on for ever-and I'm equally sure I'd shoot a bear with a 22 if that's all I was carrying and was confronted by one will ill intent towards me,but consider this-had the bear been lost,the young chap might have felt so badly about it,he might not have hunted again,so better to take a more suitable calibered rifle.All the same-congratulations and I hope there will be many more bears harvested by him.

moose hunter
05-23-2006, 08:56 AM
i already got my first bear i just didnt wana post till i got my pics ive shown ian the skull i can take some pics of that with my webcam when i get home if youd like. i think i did a nice job on the skull to but i couldnt keep the fur had mites or ticks or somthing. I am probably not going for another, but think about how much of a challenge it would be to have to make the perfect shot on a bear and no doubt have to stalk with in 100 or less yards, i used my 7mm already and i like to keep my 300 for moose also dont like to take it out much cuz its a nice sako, i didnt know i could type so long but im bored in my spare calss again:p. anyways ill post pics of the skull tonight and hopefully have my pics in a week or so. cheers.

guntech
05-23-2006, 09:27 AM
i already got my first bear i just didnt wana post till i got my pics ive shown ian the skull i can take some pics of that with my webcam when i get home if youd like. i think i did a nice job on the skull to but i couldnt keep the fur had mites or ticks or somthing. I am probably not going for another, but think about how much of a challenge it would be to have to make the perfect shot on a bear and no doubt have to stalk with in 100 or less yards, i used my 7mm already and i like to keep my 300 for moose also dont like to take it out much cuz its a nice sako, i didnt know i could type so long but im bored in my spare calss again:p. anyways ill post pics of the skull tonight and hopefully have my pics in a week or so. cheers.

"Spare classes" can be used to actually study and learn. For instance, when using the letter i, referring to yourself, it is always capitalized. Correct spelling, commas, periods and apostrophes also have their place.

Honestly, if you don't aquire these skills now, you probably never will. It will hold you back all of your life.

3kills
05-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Moosehunter and moose hunter are two different people.

oops i knew that i ment to put moose hunter....

todbartell
Anyone with half a brain knows that any calibre under a .270 is too small for bears. Have some respect for the critters you're hunting. It just bugs me that people will actually wander around in the bush with pop-guns banging at anything that moves.

sounds like someone reads too many hunting magazine articles...:roll:

3kills

when are u going to get the field photos??? how big was it?? what does the skull measure???

MB_Boy
05-23-2006, 10:08 AM
when are u going to get the field photos??? how big was it?? what does the skull measure???

What is the story and when did you get it moose hunter?

Elkhound
05-23-2006, 10:17 AM
I think the original post about a .223taking a bear was all lies. THATS WHY THERE ARE NO PICTURES to go with the story.

Just kidding. Congrats to the young man.

Schmaus
05-23-2006, 04:51 PM
I love this site

willyqbc
05-23-2006, 05:34 PM
this site is truly a great place to LEARN if you are so inclined, although as a young man I also was sure that i knew everything....trust me I didn't, and neither do you young fellows who continually come on this site declaring what is and isn't acceptable, what works and what doesn't etc, or even just screwing around trying to get a rise out of someone. My advice to you.....speak less and listen more, there is a vast resource here at your fingertips, you just have to set your young ego's aside long enough to listen. I have learned more by letting someone older and more experienced tell me their stories than i ever learned through trial and error on my own and I have a feeling that trial and error hunting bears with a 22 caliber centre fire will probably not be a whole lot of fun.

Congrats to the young man on his first bear.... i question his father on his choice of weapon though.

Just my .02 cents worth
Chris

moose hunter
05-23-2006, 05:35 PM
i am a very accurate shooter with the 22-250 my abilities to shoot with that caliber got me into and army reserve

3kills
05-23-2006, 06:26 PM
i am a very accurate shooter with the 22-250 my abilities to shoot with that caliber got me into and army reserve

see now i know ur bullshittin cuz ur just a wee bit young to be in the reserves....

elkster
05-23-2006, 06:54 PM
The Armed Forces Reserves have no qualifications to join pertaining to weapons training. They actually prefer people without said training as the Forces like to train their personnel their way.

bcboy
05-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Congrats to the youngster getting a bear, interested in which bullet and gr. combo he used.

22-250 is pretty dangerous, more so when its attached to an experienced
marksman.

Funny my pappy said " only stupid people are never wrong "

PGKris
05-23-2006, 07:22 PM
I love this site

So do I....LMAO!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

bruno
05-23-2006, 07:28 PM
What army? Maybe the one with the little green plastic guys!

Mulie_Hunter
05-23-2006, 08:56 PM

well i dont doubt my shooting especialy with the 22-250 have put almost 300 rounds through it at the 250 m range

I'm usually a quiet guy; however, I can't help myself this time. moose_hunter I'm tired of and slightly annoyed by your repeated gloating about your amazing skills. Granted everyone has a different personality, but most people have the common sense and the taste not to continuously brag in pretty much every post they make, in fact your practically the only one on the site who does this. Your state of mind where you feel you need to have prove something to everyone on this site is laughable. Sit back read the threads, maybe you'll even learn something:shock: , Because believe it or not, there are people on this site who know more than you ( shocking I know, Take a deep breath:eek: ). Before you make your next post, in say two weeks :-D, think about it before you hit that little "submit reply" button, and for the love of god punctuate it.

3kills
05-23-2006, 09:01 PM
mulie hunter, moose hunters only skills is shoveling...shoveling the bs around :lol::lol::lol:

Gateholio
05-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Gatehouse. Duh!!! I was talking about this entire thread not the adult portion of it. Name calling and swearing are not to be permitted, or so I thought.

I see some debate, some strong opinions, some pot stirring by a little kid that got a 2 week time out, and not too much name calling.

I *personally* don't have a problem wiht some swearing as long as it isn't excessive or an attack. If someone says "Bullshit" it's not an issue, to me anyway.

Marc
05-24-2006, 04:42 PM
If anyone is wondering where the last half dozen post went I nuked them. Play nice boys.

bsa30-06
05-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Dam Marc, i didn't get to read those.lol

Onesock
05-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Thank you Marc.

ruger#1
05-24-2006, 05:00 PM
i wasted 10 minutes of reading this.

PGKris
05-24-2006, 09:07 PM
lmao I'm glad I got to see that before you nuked it. That was good.

rollingrock
05-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Ok, the answer to the puzzle: 55 gr remmy. Perfect broadside shot took both shoulders out, the bullet mushroomed perfectly and lodged right underneath the skin. I'll post the pix in a couple of days.

The dad is a very experienced hunter who took 14 bucks and a few bears with his 22-250 only. He's bow-hunted for most of his life. When I told him what you guys say, he just laughed it off. He was even mocking at guys carrying 300 or bigger calibres. :)

guntech
05-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Ok, the answer to the puzzle: 55 gr remmy. Perfect broadside shot took both shoulders out, the bullet mushroomed perfectly and lodged right underneath the skin. I'll post the pix in a couple of days.

The dad is a very experienced hunter who took 14 bucks and a few bears with his 22-250 only. He's bow-hunted for most of his life. When I told him what you guys say, he just laughed it off. He was even mocking at guys carrying 300 or bigger calibres. :)

Are you saying it went through both shoulders breaking shoulder bones and ended up on the far side underneath the skin in a recognizable expanded bullet?

todbartell
05-25-2006, 10:28 AM
cant wait for the pics...sounds like Remington builds them 55 gr. bullets a lil on the stout side...maybe for...deer :shock:

rollingrock
05-25-2006, 10:41 AM
Are you saying it went through both shoulders breaking shoulder bones and ended up on the far side underneath the skin in a recognizable expanded bullet?

Exactly! Honestly I was amazed too! The shot was taken at 50 yards. Since the bear was the boy's first one, my friend is gonna tan the hide for him. Still I would say that's a nice shot!

guntech
05-25-2006, 11:53 AM
I don't think anyone has any comments about the quality of the shot.

It is the choice of caliber that has most people concerned.

Hang on to that bullet, you have a rare one... I have never seen a 55 grain Remington not blow up on gophers let alone two bear shoulders.

troutseeker
05-25-2006, 08:56 PM
OMG!!! I can't believe what I'm reading!!! Everyone knows for any bear you MUST use a gun called Shirley in .338!!!! And you've got to be a sniper too, OMG, OMG!!!!

Hehehehehehe, good shooting kid.

Troutseeker

sawmill
05-26-2006, 10:46 PM
It is ilegal to use a 22 cal diameter on any big game.Check the regs and burn your computer cause I think you been finked already.240 of an inch minimum.Quite braggin kid.:mad:

Will
05-26-2006, 11:40 PM
It is ilegal to use a 22 cal diameter on any big game.Check the regs and burn your computer cause I think you been finked already.240 of an inch minimum.Quite braggin kid.:mad:
I think I added this already but here again..........
There is NO Calibre restrictions in BC, only Rimfire restrictions...It is perfectly Legal to use any "Centrefire" Rifle on Big Game (Buffalo is the only BG animal with any Min. energy requirement)
Now I'll add this.....
Just because something is not "Illegal" doesn't make it smart either:|

Example........It's perfectly Legal in BC to Hunt Coastal Brownies with a 17 Remington...doesn't mean it's a good idea !

rollingrock
05-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Okay, here comes Nick's first bear!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCF0019.JPG

Fred
05-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Not a bad looking Bear, and nice sized paws on it too. Fred

todbartell
05-28-2006, 05:08 PM
congrats to him on the bear.

as you can see, it is no 1000 lb grizzly, so no wonder a 223 could work, it is a 125 lb animal :)

The 'Hummer'
05-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Good shot, nice picture, nice Bear, but that isn't the bone of contention. The choice of calibre is. There are better, more appropiate commonsense choices!!

30-06
05-28-2006, 06:13 PM
last year a girl in burns lake was in her garden and a grizzly attacked her and she had a 8 shot .22 and she killed it ..shows what a well placed shot and having god on ur side can do eh

guntech
05-28-2006, 07:52 PM
last year a girl in burns lake was in her garden and a grizzly attacked her and she had a 8 shot .22 and she killed it ..shows what a well placed shot and having god on ur side can do eh

I would have thought that would have been a big story in the papers all across Canada....

Was it in the papers? More details....?

Fred
05-29-2006, 12:52 AM
Bonz could tell us the truth on that one, if he was allowed in here! ;) Fred

The 'Hummer'
05-29-2006, 08:15 AM

She was gardening, and just happened to have a .22 with her :roll: ??? Well placed shot, lucky shot? Obviously someone was on her side. Choosing to take an animal like that on with a .22, you're flirting with the wish to drop to the # 2 position on the food chain.:(

3kills
05-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Bonz could tell us the truth on that one, if he was allowed in here! ;) Fred
that is true but its not possible....go to his site and ask him....

sawmill
06-03-2006, 05:01 AM
It is illegal to use ANY .22 cal on big game.If yer gonna be stupid about shooting bears with a 22.250 at least have the grace to keep your mouth shut and (with any luck)get mauled quietly.Idiots give us all a bad name.:mad:

sawmill
06-03-2006, 05:04 AM
P.S game wardens read this site too,I hope you are ready for a visit.

brotherjack
06-03-2006, 07:10 AM
It is illegal to use ANY .22 cal on big game.

Not in BC, actually. Only game with a restriction on it, is Buffalo - has to be a 175gr bullet that retains at least 2000 ft-lbs of impact at 100 yards.

3kills
06-03-2006, 09:19 AM
brotherjack is right sawmill...

brotherjack
06-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Not that I advocate hunting big game with little guns mind you - (especially not if I'm going to be anywhere near the hunting!) - but as I think I mentioned earlier, seems to me that a .223 or the like has potentially more thump than archery tackle when using non-frangible bullets, and we let people hunt bears with archery tackle (which is another thing you will NEVER catch me doing), but anyway....

Will
06-03-2006, 10:02 AM
P.S game wardens read this site too,I hope you are ready for a visit.
Have you even read any of this thread............:?
It has been pointed out at least a 1/2 dozen times already that there is Nothing Illegal about the use of ANY centre fire rifle in BC for bears.
Perhaps you should read the regs...:roll: