PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scope - Angled or Straight?

Caveman
10-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Thinking of a spotting scope and was wondering what you guys prefer, Angled or Straight, Pros and Cons. Magnification levels 20-50, etc.

yukon john
10-28-2010, 11:11 PM
most guys prefer what they have used, i've used both and I liked straight before I tried angled, for someone not used to using a spotting scope a straight one makes it easier to find the animal, in the long run though the angled makes it much easier to glass for a long time through the scope, vital for long distance glassing or for finding stone sheep in the rocks etc. Like i said Ive used both a lot and definately prefer angled

pearljam
10-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Angled is the way to go imo..... I just upgraded my B&L 15-45x60 to an angled Swarovski. When looking up hill it is a lot more comfortable to look through the angled spotter.

Krico
10-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Another vote for the angled. Used both, I'll never go back. Much more comfortable, really not hard at all to locate animals.

shantz
10-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Angled is my preference too. Easier on the neck.

BlacktailStalker
10-29-2010, 10:54 AM
I use a straight 65mm Swaro HD 20-60x.
I suggest looking through both at a store and see what YOU prefer.

Mountain Man
10-29-2010, 10:55 AM
I have straight ! Wish I had angled

Jagermeister
10-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Angled is the way to go imo..... I just upgraded my B&L 15-45x60 to an angled Swarovski. When looking up hill it is a lot more comfortable to look through the angled spotter.Angled and add to that the Swarovski ATM viewing angle can be rotated 90° to either side. Doesn't seem that much until you have used the feature.

mntbowhunter
10-29-2010, 11:24 AM
I have used both too and now I use an angled Zeiss. Angled is way better. Its way easier on the neck.

srupp
10-29-2010, 11:46 AM
hmmm at first didnt like my angled Swaro..but over time have grown to love it..

Steven

Bow Walker
10-29-2010, 12:25 PM
When I get one, it's going to be an "angled" one. No need to hunch-up-like-a-dog-doing-a-football to see through the thing, and it'll require far less of a tri-pod height to comfortably see through it.

Krico
10-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Angled and add to that the Swarovski ATM viewing angle can be rotated 90° to either side. Doesn't seem that much until you have used the feature.

So true. You can be sitting on either side of the spotter, at pretty much any height, or right behind it. With a straight model, there's only one option-plant your butt right behind it. Seems most guys who like angled have used both, most who recommend straight have not.

mtnmannbc
02-26-2011, 12:40 PM
What about sitting on top of the mountain and looking down, what about using the scope on a window mount in your truck, finding the animals seems easier with straight as well. I am having difficulty choosing betweened angled and straight but I think I am going straight. Just preference I guess.

srupp
02-26-2011, 03:26 PM
hmm on my Swaro Hd 65 20-60x the body swivels so you can use it looking down on animals or from the vehicle with a window pod...

Like I originally posted I trued both and at first thought I had made a mistake getting the angled..when all it was ..getting used to what the angled design could do..now love it..

cheers
Steven

BromBones
02-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Angled is more comfortable for your neck - less fatigue = more time spent glassing. You can use a shorter compact tripod with an angled which is nice. Can also sit down and pinch the scope between your knees if you just want to take a quick look at something without setting up the tripod (that's if you're flexible enough :) )

Alone in the wildernes
02-26-2011, 04:09 PM
I have a zeiss straight and kick my self in the ass all the time for buying it go with the angled more comfortable on the neck after spending hours glassing.

pappy
02-26-2011, 04:16 PM
I bought an angled after hunting with a strait for one season. They are both cheaper models but they do the job for now, I like the angled way better.

Blockcaver
02-27-2011, 09:49 AM
I've never liked the angled as well as the straight scopes. If glassing near the truck I use a big, heavy Manfrotto tripod and pistol grip head setup for standing upright behind it. I find it works great for "all day" use. For backpacking I like a tripod that you can sit with your legs under it (no cross bracing in the way). Lean back against a boulder or tree and it works comfortably for a long time with a straight eyepiece and a thermarest butt pad. Straight works well out the truck window too.

Everyone is different so try out both style scopes and see what works for you. If you wear your eye glasses during spotting scope use, get a scope with plenty of eye relief. The Leupold 12-40 x 60 HD works well for me, as does the ancient Leupold 20 x 50 fixed power scope from 24 seasons ago.

bigwhiteys
02-27-2011, 09:54 AM
I have used Angle and Straight. My Zeiss is a straight tube, I have a nice tripod that allows me to sit comfortably and glass. My eyes dry out and feel like sandpaper long before my body/neck ever feels uncomfortable.

Don't forget eye drops! The lubricating ones seem to work best.

Carl

mtnmannbc
02-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Alot of great points, I appreciate the feedback, most like angled I find, but I sticking with my guts on this one and staying with a straight tube.

Trapper D
02-27-2011, 11:02 AM
if your wanting to attach a camera , as some have the capability, a straight spotting scope is a better choice, since your not taking a picture of a reflected image

Barracuda
02-27-2011, 11:03 AM
i have straight and it is a pain in the ass getting low enough to get a good view unless i have the tall tripod or put it on a table really high(Range)

I suppose it would be ok for looking down or hooked on the window of a truck at eye level but that is a very small percentage of real world hunting use i could find for it.

tried an angle and found it way better and if you plan to use it for actual hunting then i think it would be the better choice .

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-27-2011, 02:16 PM
I have used both . i like the straight . just my choice.. i own the straight . i have a DCB and use for photography too ..