PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 rut

twoSevenO
10-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Ok, so does the rut in region 8 start earlier? Is that why it closes on Nov 10?

Looking for some tips on region 8 rut times, as well as an answer for why it closes Nov 10 there. Thanks. Cheers! :-D

one-shot-wonder
10-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Ok, so does the rut in region 8 start earlier? Is that why it closes on Nov 10?

Looking for some tips on region 8 rut times, as well as an answer for why it closes Nov 10 there. Thanks. Cheers! :-D

It is due in part to an ultra conservate regional bio.

As to rut times, there are many other threads the same topic and these are the same mule deer as in other regions around the province.

twoSevenO
10-28-2010, 09:36 PM
It is due in part to an ultra conservate regional bio.

As to rut times, there are many other threads the same topic and these are the same mule deer as in other regions around the province.

makes sense.
I wanted to confirm that it wasn't any different based on it being further south then some of the other areas which are open longer and a little further north.

Thanks! :)

blackbart
10-28-2010, 09:39 PM
From my recollection it closes on Nov 10th to protect the deer from the over-harvest that could occur if the season ran longer. Lots of the larger bucks are migratory that don't come down to the easily hunted areas until mid-late November, a November 10th closure provides these guys with a certain amount of protection.

The fall of 2009 had heavy, early snow in the high country of region 8. As such many large mulies were shot prior to Nov 10th. Check out some of last falls posts, more than one region 8 cranker showed up here.

Given the "right" conditions region 8 is one of your best bets to harvest a large mule deer. Granted if you don't get the high country snow it can be a tough hunt.

phoenix
10-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Also the more south you go the higher the pressure on the muleys from the whitetails and the declining number of muleys makes for a shorter season.
Kim

SHAKER
10-29-2010, 05:50 AM
From my recollection it closes on Nov 10th to protect the deer from the over-harvest that could occur if the season ran longer. Lots of the larger bucks are migratory that don't come down to the easily hunted areas until mid-late November, a November 10th closure provides these guys with a certain amount of protection.

The fall of 2009 had heavy, early snow in the high country of region 8. As such many large mulies were shot prior to Nov 10th. Check out some of last falls posts, more than one region 8 cranker showed up here.

Given the "right" conditions region 8 is one of your best bets to harvest a large mule deer. Granted if you don't get the high country snow it can be a tough hunt.

Well said, last year was fairly tough to find a good one in all the typical spots for me, lots of the guys got really nice bucks in what I call the "scrub" country that I would go to look'n for a meat deer not horns. IF conditions are right then nice mature bucks are not that hard to find and close'n the season then allows the smart survivors a chance to bump uglys' in peace!:twisted:

curt
10-29-2010, 08:57 AM
i went out in region 8 a few yrs back 1st day of bow season Nov26th i have never seen any rut like that before there were bucks chasing does everywhere it was an amazing day!! So i'm guessing deer rut a hell of alot longer than a typical moose rut for instance but i'm really dont know what the story is on these little guys. I know a guy in region 3 thats swears Nov 16th ish is when they really get moving but the jury is out!?!??