PDA

View Full Version : Muleys in Region 3

lorneparker1
10-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Thinking about going after a muley around november 15th in Region 3 for a 5 day stint. Kind of a fly by the seat of your pants type hunt. How is my timing?

Caveman
10-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Great as far as I'm concerned!

Gunner Staal
10-28-2010, 08:07 PM
I have been hunting 3-12 hard the last few weeks and have seen very few bucks. I think its a great area right off the crack in the early 4 point season then really dies down due to hunting pressure in October. I havn't hunted it in mid November but I know 3-12 is SLOWWWWW right now.

MuleyMadness
10-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Best time for hunting big bucks in these parts imo...

one-shot-wonder
10-28-2010, 08:53 PM
I have been hunting 3-12 hard the last few weeks and have seen very few bucks. I think its a great area right off the crack in the early 4 point season then really dies down due to hunting pressure in October. I havn't hunted it in mid November but I know 3-12 is SLOWWWWW right now.

Check your elevation....the MD migration happened a couple weeks ago.

troutseeker
10-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Check your elevation....the MD migration happened a couple weeks ago.

Maybe for bucks, but the does are still way up there...:-D

one-shot-wonder
10-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Maybe for bucks, but the does are still way up there...:-D

True enough but the majority of those 3-12 deer are in the transition areas.

There is only a few handfuls of standing timber left and the bucks are using up all that available cover, forcing the does to be out in the cut blocks.:-D

M.Dean
10-28-2010, 09:17 PM
There's the odd buck around, I haven't seen any thing big yet, but you have to have a tag to shoot a gagger mule deer and some one cut some pieces out of my tag a few weeks back!!! Long long story! The 15th should be just about right for around region 3, if you can find a herd of does your going to find a decent 4 point if you play your cards right! I've seen more 4's in November than any other month, thats because there in rut. If you have 5 days to hunt, pick a area where you know there's deer or someone told you about seeing lots. Spot and stalk works good, if there's a skiff of snow you'll see exactly whats moving and where, good luck!

blackbart
10-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Your timing is perfect. There will be rutting activity from Nov 15 - 20th anywhere mule deer are found in region three.

lorneparker1
11-06-2010, 09:41 PM
So we have hammered it down to the 17th to the 20th around the Merrit area. Again kinda by the seat of our pants. We are towing a camper. Any ideas advice on where to go and camp for whities or mulies? Not looking for honey holes, just general areas. You can pm if need be.

stoneslinger
11-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Drive the roads like all the rest of the weekend warriors. Yesterday I saw 3 guys standing in the back of a pickup. All had rifles and all were glassing a wide open cut block in the middle of the afternoon - while the truck was moving! I finally realized what I have been doing wrong all these years.

This, IMHO, is a very effective tactic for harvesting a mature 4-point mule buck on any soil.

frenchbar
11-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Drive the roads like all the rest of the weekend warriors. Yesterday I saw 3 guys standing in the back of a pickup. All had rifles and all were glassing a wide open cut block in the middle of the afternoon - while the truck was moving! I finally realized what I have been doing wrong all these years.

This, IMHO, is a very effective tactic for harvesting a mature 4-point mule buck on any soil.

I was wondering where my redneck freinds were hunting..useually we just put a couch in the back..ive had em fall out before going through water bars :mrgreen:
stay outa my cut block.. ps when we really get into it we bolt a rifle bench rest on a swivel on the roof lol

white moose
11-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Thinking about going after a muley around november 15th in Region 3 for a 5 day stint. Kind of a fly by the seat of your pants type hunt. How is my timing?
Timing is great. Head up to 3-29. Thats where I go. Lots of Big Mulies starting to move

stoneslinger
11-07-2010, 09:53 AM
I was wondering where my redneck freinds were hunting..useually we just put a couch in the back..ive had em fall out before going through water bars :mrgreen:
stay outa my cut block.. ps when we really get into it we bolt a rifle bench rest on a swivel on the roof lol

I saw them about 4 years ago with the couch, spotlights, and whiskey. I liked thier style. Did not give a crap that I saw them and asked if I would like to join them.:-D

frenchbar
11-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I saw them about 4 years ago with the couch, spotlights, and whiskey. I liked thier style. Did not give a crap that I saw them and asked if I would like to join them.:-D

ya their back at it ...judge told em to shut it down for a few yrs...

steelhead
11-07-2010, 10:05 AM

lorneparker1
11-07-2010, 11:44 AM

THis not my style of choice :) Just kinda looking for what direction to head. Would like to park and hike if possible but dont wanna spend all day evey day driving a new area. Would like to focus for hte most part on one area and hunt it hard. We got 5 days.

stoneslinger
11-07-2010, 01:29 PM
There is great satisfaction to be had in sizing up terrain and learning for one's self. Once you figure out the type of forest and terrain where big mule bucks hang you will always be able to find them or at least be in thier midst.

steelhead
11-07-2010, 02:07 PM

stoneslinger
11-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Think mature fir forest with rugged topography.

dog812
11-07-2010, 06:44 PM
just came back from area near cache creek.. lots of deer.. but couldnt find the elusive 4 or better bucks..
the last hour we were there we saw a 3x3.. he gets a pass til next year i guess..