PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for hunting BC?

dog812
10-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Hey i need some new outer gear. This is my first year hunting. I am not really sure what kind of gear i should be looking at?
obviously a good base layer is key.. and i already have some awesome boots...
But what about jacket / pants? what have you guys had good experiences with?

So far i have been wearing some military BDU's but they are not warm at all.

swampman
10-28-2010, 07:03 PM
If your on a budget (read Married) LOL, the stuff at Walmart is exellent for the price. It's warm and keeps you dry but don't hike in it (think sauna). All the higher priced stuff is good, look for quiet exterior and weather proof. Hope that helps. Happy Hunting!:-D

Caveman
10-28-2010, 08:02 PM
I you can, spend a little extra on a quality jacket, you won't regret it. Some comfortable pants that leave room to layer with quality undergarments such as Under Armour or simular

brian
10-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Where abouts are looking at hunting?
I prefer layers of good fleece and wool, with a heavier wool jacket for cold stuff and a thin rain jacket for really wet stuff. I usually have water proof supposedly breathable rain pants with me, but I have only ever used them once on the hunt (and even then found them too clausterphobic and noisy to bother with), so they became my winter biking commuting pants. The fleece I use sheds water surprisingly well.

GoatGuy
10-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Get wool from an army surplus place if you don't want to spend a pile.

dog812
11-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Well i went and looked at the surplus and i still think i am going to pick up the Browning Full curl wool pants / jacket. Only a couple bucks more..
Unless anyone has any reasons i shouldnt.

pearljam
11-05-2010, 08:35 AM
I wouldnt worry about spending more money just to get wool in camo. Deer see guys walking around in camo just as quick as a guy with a bright orange jacket on. Its how and when you move that allows you to get close to animals.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-05-2010, 08:42 AM
non water absorbing wool fleece and some waterproofs.

x2 on the military surplus. http://www.westleysurplus.com/products-page/military-surplus/clothing/ good folks

Iron Glove
11-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Deer really don't care what you wear. :mrgreen:
But, ditto on the Wal mart stuff, decent product to start out with, or try Canadian Tire when they have their Rocky stuff on for half price. They also have Yukon Gear on sale often.

Twobucks
11-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Hey Dog812 - when you've got the money, some stuff is worth spending a little more on. I'm in LOVE with the Icebreaker long underwear - it's merino wool, breathes, keeps you warm, doesn't stink and lasts forever. It's about $90 each for tops and bottoms, but they'll last you for 10 or 15 years if you avoid tearing holes in them. So cheap comfort if you think about it like that.

MEC has some similar stuff that's a little cheaper.

Whatever you do - make sure your base layer (the one next to your skin) fits snug - that's what keeps the warm in.

Good luck!

2B

roping_tom
11-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Dido on ice breaker, spend the cash do it once do it right. Go talk to someone at Valhalla or mec and if nothing else just talk and understand what all the different stuff will do for you. I went several years with the same old stuff now i spent 450 bucks on merino wool layers, and i have cut down the ammount i wear as well as the ammount you need to pack for back pack hunts, mearly beacuse of the quality. Check out the hiking spots these companies have alot invested in the clothing they but out not like other places that just have CAMO.

XPEIer
11-21-2010, 07:58 AM
My brother picked up the Columbia wool coat and pants, I liked them so much I bought the snow camo.

The coat is very well made, nice huge hood for days you may want to hunker down in a heavy snow. The pants are bulky and heavy, I use them more for ice fishing, but again, if you have to hunker down they are fantastic. I carry a backpack with a hip belt, so I opened the seam along each side enough to slip my hip belt through, makes a world of difference.
If you can see my profile pic, that is the coat.

Although not 100 percent virgin wool, they do shed rain very well, I hunted about 5 hours straight this fall in a steady rain, no issue at all with that coat on.

Cost, 79.00us at Cabelas... you cant buy wool socks for that cost anywhere else.

xpeier

frenchbar
11-21-2010, 10:16 AM
My brother picked up the Columbia wool coat and pants, I liked them so much I bought the snow camo.

The coat is very well made, nice huge hood for days you may want to hunker down in a heavy snow. The pants are bulky and heavy, I use them more for ice fishing, but again, if you have to hunker down they are fantastic. I carry a backpack with a hip belt, so I opened the seam along each side enough to slip my hip belt through, makes a world of difference.
If you can see my profile pic, that is the coat.

Although not 100 percent virgin wool, they do shed rain very well, I hunted about 5 hours straight this fall in a steady rain, no issue at all with that coat on.

Cost, 79.00us at Cabelas... you cant buy wool socks for that cost anywhere else.

xpeier

x2 cheap and warm ..but i only wear it when its cold out ...its a little over kill for the early season .

Ubertuber
11-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Wool pants and a jacket can't be beat. Don't forget the suspenders, they're a must have with wool pants IMO.

TroutFry
11-21-2010, 06:44 PM
i've been taking a good look at River's West. i've heard alot of good about them

kyleklassen
11-21-2010, 06:49 PM
double stany's

OscarMike
11-21-2010, 07:41 PM
go to walmart in bellingham if you are close....usa walmarts are the best....for hunting.....C

len173
11-24-2010, 12:58 PM
I use a poly pro long sleeve shirt as a base, then wear a stanfield over that, followed by my Australian Outerwear jacket.

Poly pro long johns, and ice pants down below. This has kept me warm and toasty well below zero.

Surrey Boy
11-24-2010, 01:57 PM
On hot days sometimes I only wear boots and sunglasses. I have my licence tucked in one sock and a knife in the other.

I usually hunt alone in case you wondered.

Brizz
11-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Keep a close eye on camofire.com.

Best deals you will find. In the last week I've seen merino wool base layers, sitka stuff, tons of good realtree stuff.

CanuckShooter
11-25-2010, 11:34 AM
For cold weather, one piece insulated coveralls do the trick....you'll find them warmer than most jacket/pant combos...

BigBuck155
11-25-2010, 04:02 PM
well i find kings outdoor world gear works pretty well. they have alot of different gear but its harder to find. i use it and love it works great and has a great patterns for different hunting conditions.