PDA

View Full Version : MU 2-16 Gambier and Anvil Islands

Blair
10-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I wonder about hunting Gambier and Anvil Islands for mulies. They both look very steep and heavily treed for the most part. I have a boat so getting there is no problem. Does anyone have any advice?

MB_Boy
10-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Lots of "Blacktails".....and it is thick and pretty steep; especially Anvil. I have spent a fair bit of time on both Islands. A friend's family owns a big chuck of southeastern Gambier and his Dad bought a bunch of property on Anvil.

I know guys hunt on both Islands; the issue would be getting access on to them. There is the gov't dock(s) on Gambier where you could tie up and likely in the little bay where the foot ferry comes in; can't quite recall about there. Getting on to Anvil may be a bit more difficult as the only real access is the southeastern corner of the Island as it is pretty sheer the rest of the way around. That corner of Anvil is mostly private; and I don't know how you'd get access; but there is always kayakers that pull in on the corner that faces across to Porteau Cove. There may be some public access along there but I can't guarantee as my friend's place is on the other side of the point facing more towards Gambier and down Howe Sound. If you google Anvil Island you may find some access info. This time of the year it'll be pretty quiet over there with the exception of the caretakers at the church camp. We usually do a couple of treks over through the winter and never anyone on the island except for us; great prawning around the Island as well...they'd go great with your backstraps!!

Here is a matched set from Anvil that I found a couple of years back.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0594.JPG