PDA

View Full Version : bowen island

tarzan
10-28-2010, 09:20 AM
I am wondering if any one has had any success on Bowen? I have friend who has some acreage there . My partner and i have been hunting there with our traditional gear . These blacktails really like the steep thick brush.Any comments ?

Danielcan
12-15-2010, 11:14 PM
the golf course has lots of deer. Im trying to get permission to hunt it in january.

Is it difficult to get permission from the rcmp to hunt?

One Shot
12-16-2010, 01:38 AM
the golf course has lots of deer. Im trying to get permission to hunt it in january.

Is it difficult to get permission from the rcmp to hunt?:?

The Police have nothing to do with granting permission for hunting. The regs indicate that you have to contact the Municpal Clerk for important information inregards to bylaws governing the use of bows etc..

tarzan
12-16-2010, 08:25 AM
i have a friend who has acreage there and have hunted ther for a few years. i have had several misses ,one on a beauty four point . this due to usually shooting my wheel bow and then bringing out the woody with finger tab. Most of my shots have come from still hunting and putting on lots of miles up hill . i have tried stand hunting with no success either. I am going to try hunting after the new year at least once. That s why i was looking for any island deer advise

Ubertuber
12-16-2010, 02:09 PM
I've managed to get a few on Bowen over the years. The best days were rainy and windy, I could walk up to within 10 yards of the deer.

Ruger4
12-18-2010, 04:48 PM
my mom lives on Bowen , right on the ocean
booners bed down in the back yard garden , not much of a hunt :-?

Big Lew
12-18-2010, 08:30 PM
I've been driving a lot of the roads on Bowen, 3 times during the last 2 weeks, with a large concrete truck, and from it's elevated position, have seen many deer, including decent bucks, in people's fields, gardens, and driveways. They seen too tame to be in a "hunting allowed" environment. I would think most areas close to the roads are private, and closed to hunting. The Island has a lot of hiking trails, and even in poor weather, there are numerous people walking along them, quite often in groups, and with dogs. I would think it best to carefully check maps and local authorities to be sure you are hunting where you are allowed, because, with all those eyes, they'll sure love to report you, if they could.

Danielcan
12-18-2010, 09:26 PM
:?

The Police have nothing to do with granting permission for hunting. The regs indicate that you have to contact the Municpal Clerk for important information inregards to bylaws governing the use of bows etc..

if you google the clerks number you can read the by-laws. they say the only place you can hunt on bowen is private land with the owners permission, and the local rcmp permission.

the company that owns the golf course, and the suronding developement, is The Seymour Bay Foundation

Ubertuber
12-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Oh oh, the urbanites on Bowen are getting restless about us evil hunters.

http://bowen-island-bc.com/forum/read.php?1,1231835

Big Lew
12-20-2010, 09:31 PM
I have read the comments posted on the http://bowen-island-bc.com/forum/read.php?1,1231835. Everyone is intitled to their own opinion, but most allow emotion, rather than common sense, influence their judgement. Far better, if people were to do some research and analize All the facts and reports, before they passed judgement, or made their comments. Chris Corrigan made the only level-headed remarks. Just because other individuals practice a different lifestyle, or pursue activities some people don't agree with, doesn't make that person any less an equal and valued member of society, providing they act responsibly and within all laws, including local rules and bylaws, and show respect and consideration to those that might be uncomfortable. As for the comments about deer running around with arrows sticking out of them, similiar sad situations have been reported elsewhere, including within city parks. Most were perpetrated by non-hunters, or novice poachers.

109D elk
12-20-2010, 11:38 PM
I live on Bowen and am a avid Hunter but I must say the Deer here are so small they are hardly worth anyones time to hunt them. If someone wants to follow the regs than have at it. I know my wife would love to have the population culled as they are always after her garden.

Danielcan
12-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Hey 109D elk, i dont believe you! i think you joined hbc to make that one post to discourage people form hunting on your fery nice island!

Big Lew
12-24-2010, 08:59 AM
My Dad lived on Bowen Island with his Mom, Grandmother, and 2 Brothers when he was a youth. (his father was killed in the war when Dad was only 3) There were only 52 permanant resident families living on the Island back then, although there were many summer cottages. He told stories of fantastic deer and grouse hunting. To help make ends meet, he would sell salmon and grouse to the rich dudes as they were waiting to board the Union steamship for the mainland. I took him back there 50 years later, and he was absolutely flabbergasted at the changes.

tarzan
12-24-2010, 09:23 AM
i make sure that i keep a low profile when on the ferry to not offend others by walking around in camo or playing with arrows. it is worth the little extra effort to have this unique hun ting opportunity, the island is beautiful and hiking the mountain is awesome. I have heard from others the deer from there are great table fare

109D elk
12-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Hey 109D elk, i dont believe you! i think you joined hbc to make that one post to discourage people form hunting on your fery nice island!

You can think what you want but I hunt all season for deer (mostly in region 8) . This year I was lucky enough to get a vancouver island elk tag and brought home a nice young 5x5 . I have bucks wander through my yard on a regular basis but I don't even bother since theres all but 40 lbs of meat on them. Besides hunting for me is 1/2 meat 1/2 being in the great outdoors so hunting on bowen would be kind of like hunting in north vancouver, ya theres a few trees around but your 5 minutes from a corner store.