PDA

View Full Version : How to take field pictures for dummies

pitbell
10-28-2010, 08:33 AM
How about a thread on how to take proper, tasteful, field pictures? I love checking out the pics from everyone on this sight but lately it's getting a little crazy. We don't need to be giving the antis anymore ammo than they already have. I think we as hunters need to be careful in how we portray ourselves, especially on the World Wide Web. How does a picture of couple of dudes waiving around a yearling bucks severed head in a nice sub division make us all look. So lets teach the guys who are new to the sport how to take better pictures.
I'll start.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/records_phototips.asp?area=bgRecords

pearljam
10-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Your spot on, keep that kind of stuff to yourself, or better yet dont even take silly pics like that.

warnniklz
10-28-2010, 09:26 AM
add photography to the core class?

Elkaholic
10-28-2010, 09:37 AM
This should be stickied because all these young hunters coming up wont know what to do once they shoot an animal unless they can take "tasteful" photos to appease the masses.......

Mountain Man
10-28-2010, 10:04 AM
I take great pride in field photos and always give my friends a hard time with the bush league photos.

I always leave the weapon out of the pic. No one needs to see your rifle !!!!!!!!!! If its a bow kill dont put it in front of the animal and dont put your bow in the antlers it looks bad !!! Clean the blood off, stick the tongue back in, tuck the legs under the animal.

Just look at guide oufitter web sites for good pictures. As a guide the outfitters I work for have awarded the best pic of the year taken by a guide as they use those phots to sell hunts.

This is one of those things that is not stressed enough. I have a wall in my shop with hunting pictures and only 30% of them are classy.

todbartell
10-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Proguide66 had alot of good tips last fall when we hunted together. He said never sit directly behind the rack and try not to cover it up with your hands. Got many excellent shots, here's two favorites

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/09%20blacktail/DSC02281.jpg

A rifle or bow in the pic isn't bad IMO, but I dont like it stuck in the antlers. I like guns!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/09%20blacktail/DSC02279.jpg

try to keep your eyes open :wink:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/09%20blacktail/DSC02276.jpg

M.Dean
10-28-2010, 12:20 PM
I like to take pictures that everyone can look at. I spend lots and lots of time hunting, so when I do get a animal down I like to be able to display the photo's in good taste. In most of my pics we clean the animal up as good as possible, the hunter takes a few minutes to look as presentable as possible then I take 10 or 20, some times more photo's until I think I've got a few keepers! The photo's will be around for ever, it's nice to be able to go through them with different people and no one finds them offensive! Some people simply don't care what the pictures turn out like. I have a buddy that sends me pics every year of moose, huge bucks, wolves, cats etc, and most I find offensive! A pic of a giant white tail hanging in a garage where they gutted it, horns covered in guts and blood seriously take away from the fact it's a monster buck! Some people don't care about pictures, they remember the hunt, keep the horns and thats enough. I take pride in most of my pic's, specialty when it's a hunt that I've helped on with my kids and grandkids! Every time there up here to hunt the first thing they like too do is go through all the hunting pics on my computer! Each to there own, I find if you spend a few minutes after the kill, move the animal to a clean spot, wipe it down a little and take lots of tasteful photo's it's some thing you'll never regret!!! Take note of the pictures that most Sheep hunters or Goat hunters bring back after a successful hunt, great background, the animal is positioned as good as possible, it's cleaned up a bit and the pics look great! After putting that much effort into the hunt, why not spend a few minutes and take some pictures that you can be proud of!

luckynuts
10-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Those are great pictures TB. Something I really need to work on:oops: mine are far to rushed, not paying enough attention to the surrounding area and or done with substandard cameras (disposals). Though new Camera on list for Christmas:wink:

W.

frenchbar
10-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Those are good pics TB..the rifle in pic 2 takes nothing away from it been a good photo imo .

todbartell
10-28-2010, 12:28 PM
this is what not to do

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs159.snc3/18672_215557617991_512917991_3204210_885547_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs159.snc3/18672_215615577991_512917991_3204456_5682058_n.jpg

get your thumb out of the way!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs159.snc3/18672_215639127991_512917991_3204633_4661386_n.jpg

KB90
10-28-2010, 12:38 PM
I always cut the tongue off just enough that it can't hang out Also Keep a pack of wetwipes/paper towel in bag. Its good for cleaning off excess blood.

1 other thing I always do is take the pictures before you cut the animal open. 10 more minutes won't make a difference! snap a couple pics before you start with the messy stuff.

It's nice to be able to show tasteful pictures to people who don't normally hunt, also you can hang them on the wall and they look great!

Heres an example of a bad one, if they waited 5 minutes to start gutting, it could have been a great picture.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0065.jpg

Heres a good one. I actually shot this lynx in the head, lots of blood, took some wet wipes and paper towel and it cleaned up really nice. It's a picture I'm proud to have on my wall.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/lynx_2.jpg

Caveman
10-28-2010, 01:06 PM
#1. Field shots before you field dress, Nobody needs to see a bunch of blood or a gut pile

yamadirt 426
10-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Its an overdue thread imo. The calling all coyotes thread pic is the worst i've seen. I was going to type something in that thread but didnt want to waste 2 mins of my life. I was just lazy.

rocksteady
10-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Its an overdue thread imo. The calling all coyotes thread pic is the worst i've seen. I was going to type something in that thread but didnt want to waste 2 mins of my life. Thanks!

Maybe a nicely worded PM to the poster would get a more suitable picture to replace it???

llloyd
10-28-2010, 01:35 PM
replaced with a different picture, sorry if that other one was in poor taste.

budismyhorse
10-28-2010, 02:20 PM
I agree with the premise of this thread......I cringe at some of the "floating head" pics that hit this site.....

....my only advise is to take AS MANY PICS from as many different angles as you can. you never know which one will work best.

......and keep the weapons IN the photos.......I love looking back at which peice I used for that animal. If done right it is classy actually. If you make it the cornerstone of the photo....it makes you look like a douchebag.

AND SMILE......I hate grimace/stone faced kill shots.....

Stone Sheep Steve
10-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Sometimes blood is "okay" in a picture and completely unavoidable:wink:.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Lagomorph_Triple_Header_004.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15128&perpage=18&ppuser=1509)

Actually, my daughter doesn't like this pic anymore. Too much blood for her.

When I shot my Stone my buddy was telling me to hurry up and not waste so much time cleaning him up(couldn't get to the ram until the next day). Ignored my buddy and spent at least 20 minutes cleaning dried blood off the rams horns and face using water(we weren't packing much) and cloth game bags.
Pics turned out great and my buddy was very impressed with the outcome....and he was even more impressed when the pic he took made the cover of a magazine:mrgreen:.

I always hack off the tongue as it seems to always reappear at the wrong moment:?.

Digital cameras are a wonderful thing!

SSS

Gateholio
10-28-2010, 02:22 PM
I like to have a bit of humour in some pics:mrgreen:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v158/111/96/526315515/n526315515_678879_4318.jpg

ThinAir
10-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Great thread Pitbell.

Taking good field photos isn't actually that hard. I've been shocked at some of the horrific pics on this site. Try to keep the blood and hanging tongues to a minimum.

Gutpile shots are out, along with other pics that resemble chain-saw massacres:shock:

In the day and age of digital photo's....there isn't an excuse!!

Rodd
10-28-2010, 02:59 PM
I take great pride in field photos and always give my friends a hard time with the bush league photos.

I always leave the weapon out of the pic. No one needs to see your rifle !!!!!!!!!! If its a bow kill dont put it in front of the animal and dont put your bow in the antlers it looks bad !!! Clean the blood off, stick the tongue back in, tuck the legs under the animal.

Just look at guide oufitter web sites for good pictures. As a guide the outfitters I work for have awarded the best pic of the year taken by a guide as they use those phots to sell hunts.

This is one of those things that is not stressed enough. I have a wall in my shop with hunting pictures and only 30% of them are classy.

What wrong with having your rifle in the Photo?? It as much of the reason you were successful, as you were... So maybe you should avoid being in the photo too.... I understand the classy photo thing as well, as i guided for many years, and took very good photos of my clients animals... But remember the photos I take are more for me to remember the hunt, rather than to be posted on the web... So take lots of both, and if posting on the web, keep the anti's in mind when choosing a photo to post. My 2 cents!

warnniklz
10-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Is this classy or non-classy... just ignore how ugly the shooters are

http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/warnniklz/shooting/?action=view&current=popcans.jpg

TSW
10-28-2010, 03:48 PM
I have a lot to learn when it comes to field pics...I think I know how to take them, until it comes to actually taking them and then I don't seem to get what I am hoping for. The one thing I do that IS good, however, is to take pictures with multiple settings on the camera. It's amazing how much it makes a difference. Something that looks pretty good on the small screen may be slightly blurry when viewed in print or on the computer. Changing the flash settings is always a good idea too...it doesn't cost anything to erase if it is junk anyway.

Mountain Man
10-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Weapons in pictures is nit picky if you like it then fly at er, personally it dosnt seem tasteful to me. Everyone knows you shot it with a gun !!
If a bow or gun is off to the side its not so bad but hanging from the rack or holding your rifle up like your the champ just seems barbaric to me ! Just an opinion.

Mountain Man
10-28-2010, 05:36 PM

http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/warnniklz/shooting/?action=view&current=popcans.jpg

Classy is the wrong word

Crazy_Farmer
10-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Wanting others to take better photos, more tasteful, less blood, no tongue sticking out, not sitting on, gun not on antlers, not gutted yet...
A bunch of premondonas if you ask me.

When I look at a picture first thing I see is the animal and then the hunter and then go hmmmm I wonder what he shot it with and go ahhhh thats a nice rifle or bow. Very rarely do I ever notice the gut pile behind them and go....EWWWW why would they put that in the picture. Its a part of hunting live with it. No ones forcing you to look at these pictures and then complain about them.

Gateholio
10-28-2010, 06:17 PM

I see 2 shooters who have shot some pop bottles/cans.

They are both safety conscious enough to open the bolts of thier rifles and even though both rifles are right handed, one intentionally handles his rifle "left handed" to avoid pointing a muzzle anywhere near his partner.

2 safe guys out plinking.

2 thumbs up.

heyblast
10-28-2010, 06:31 PM
I see the same thing gun safety. No problem with gun in photo, big problem with muzzle pointed at hunter in photo and the reciever not open. Sends a poor message and would be an immediate fail in the core test.

huntcoop
10-28-2010, 06:59 PM
I see the same thing gun safety. No problem with gun in photo, big problem with muzzle pointed at hunter in photo and the reciever not open. Sends a poor message and would be an immediate fail in the core test.

Huh, what pic you lookin at?

WaterSkeeter
10-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Huh, what pic you lookin at?

the picture is of 2 dudes posing with there rifles and a shot up can....I cant see any other pics

rocksteady
10-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Reread the post..He says he does not have an issue with "a" gun in a photo....as long as the muzzle is not pointed at anyone and the bolt is open....

He is not specifically talking about any picture on this thread...

warnniklz
10-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Classy is the wrong word

Sorry.... I mean sexy

bighornbob
10-29-2010, 09:54 AM
I always take the time to take great photos. You will always have the photos to look at, even if you are in a seniors home with no room for mounts. That being said here are some of the things I do or tricks I use.

I try and remove as much blood as possible. This includes the animal or the ground beside it. Drag the animal a few feet to get a clean foreground and background. Yes we as hunters dont mind blood but when non hunters come over they tend to not appreciate a gut pile in the photo.

Use water or wet wipes to remove blood from the animal. You can jam some kleenex or TP up the nostrils to stop blood from dripping out.

Like others have said you can cut the tongue out so it does not fall out of the mouth. Mountain heep have a problem of their lower jaw hanging open after being killed. Some sheep hunters carry a bit of fishing line to tie the muzzle shut. Never see it in photos.

Take lots of photos. This is real easy with digital cameras. I used to take 1 or 2 rolls of 35mm and maybe get 2-3 good pictures. With digitals you can take a ton and review them right away. I make sure I zoom in when reviewing photos to make sure they are clear.

A tripod of any type will help take great photos. I set mine up and use the timer as I am usually alone when hunting. Even when hunting with buddies, I will use the tripod and get a few good photos.

When using the self timer, I will focus on the animal and press the button then aim the camera to where I will be sitting then run like hell to get in the photo. If you aim the camera to where you will be, the camera will actually focus on the ground behind you. So when you get into the photo, the camera is still focusing behind you so you and the animal will be slightly blurry. Most people dont know that you can focus on one thing and aim at another (as long as they are equal distance. This also works well with 2 people in the photo. If there is a fair amount of space beween the people the camera will actually focus on something behind them. So focus on and press the button half way down then aim the camera to get both people.

Remove all vegetaion that may get in the way of the animal. The camera will focus on the brush and not the animal.

Position your animal for a good photo. If the animal drops against a tree or into some brush, look for a good clear spot near by and move the animal if possible.

Like someone else said try taking some photos with the flash, even in the daylight. The flash will light up shady areas (like a face under a ball cap.) And make the photo more clear and bright.

BHB

Mountain Man
10-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Wanting others to take better photos, more tasteful, less blood, no tongue sticking out, not sitting on, gun not on antlers, not gutted yet...
A bunch of premondonas if you ask me.

When I look at a picture first thing I see is the animal and then the hunter and then go hmmmm I wonder what he shot it with and go ahhhh thats a nice rifle or bow. Very rarely do I ever notice the gut pile behind them and go....EWWWW why would they put that in the picture. Its a part of hunting live with it. No ones forcing you to look at these pictures and then complain about them.

We have a responsibility as hunters in this day and age to portray ethics in many different manners !! Pictures are what the general public sees> You and I as hunters can deal with blood and guts but the anti hunter feed off that stuff and use it a fuel any opportunity they get to make us look like we are barbaric dumb ass red necks. I'm as redneck as it come in many ways but I still try and portray a sense of class among hunters and non hunters.
Thats what the thread is about and I know most guys on here would agree with that ! Just make you hunting pictures taste full, humor is good to.

Mountain Man
10-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I always take the time to take great photos. You will always have the photos to look at, even if you are in a seniors home with no room for mounts. That being said here are some of the things I do or tricks I use.

I try and remove as much blood as possible. This includes the animal or the ground beside it. Drag the animal a few feet to get a clean foreground and background. Yes we as hunters dont mind blood but when non hunters come over they tend to not appreciate a gut pile in the photo.

Use water or wet wipes to remove blood from the animal. You can jam some kleenex or TP up the nostrils to stop blood from dripping out.

Like others have said you can cut the tongue out so it does not fall out of the mouth. Mountain heep have a problem of their lower jaw hanging open after being killed. Some sheep hunters carry a bit of fishing line to tie the muzzle shut. Never see it in photos.

Take lots of photos. This is real easy with digital cameras. I used to take 1 or 2 rolls of 35mm and maybe get 2-3 good pictures. With digitals you can take a ton and review them right away. I make sure I zoom in when reviewing photos to make sure they are clear.

A tripod of any type will help take great photos. I set mine up and use the timer as I am usually alone when hunting. Even when hunting with buddies, I will use the tripod and get a few good photos.

When using the self timer, I will focus on the animal and press the button then aim the camera to where I will be sitting then run like hell to get in the photo. If you aim the camera to where you will be, the camera will actually focus on the ground behind you. So when you get into the photo, the camera is still focusing behind you so you and the animal will be slightly blurry. Most people dont know that you can focus on one thing and aim at another (as long as they are equal distance. This also works well with 2 people in the photo. If there is a fair amount of space beween the people the camera will actually focus on something behind them. So focus on and press the button half way down then aim the camera to get both people.

Remove all vegetaion that may get in the way of the animal. The camera will focus on the brush and not the animal.

Position your animal for a good photo. If the animal drops against a tree or into some brush, look for a good clear spot near by and move the animal if possible.

Like someone else said try taking some photos with the flash, even in the daylight. The flash will light up shady areas (like a face under a ball cap.) And make the photo more clear and bright.

BHB

100% !!!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Some sheep hunters carry a bit of fishing line to tie the muzzle shut. Never see it in photos.

I'm not too sure about that. I've seen some pictures in GS/Ovis where the hunters must have read the same tip but took it too an exxxxxtreme. :roll:.

SSS

bighornbob
10-29-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm not too sure about that. I've seen some pictures in GS/Ovis where the hunters must have read the same tip but took it too an exxxxxtreme. :roll:.

SSS

By fishing line I mean like 4 pound line max. I too have seen some of the photos where they must have used Sturgeon Tippet:mrgreen:

BHB

Stone Sheep Steve
10-29-2010, 04:48 PM
I agree with what's been said about using a flash. We always try to take a mix of both.

What I like like about my camera is that is has a "soft" flash feature. Sometimes the regular flash can be just a tad too bright.
Here's two pics...one with flash ...one without. The pic with the flash seems to come alive and IMO is a "better" picture.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Kettle_River_2010_168.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20885)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Kettle_River_2010_169.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20886)

SSS

BromBones
10-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Straddle the animals neck, set your rifle across the rack, and display your beer proudly, like a man. :)

Just kidding. Few things I like to do -

If you are taking the pictures, get down low so you are level with the animal or even shooting slightly upwards. This helps include more background in the photo and also makes the animal look more dominant. Standing up, and shooting at a downward angle makes for shitty pics IMO, when all you can see is the ground around the animal.

Try to shift your animal around until you get good views of the background. This adds depth/color variety to the photo, and tells us what kind of terrain you were hunting in.

For a straight on shot, I like to tell the guys to kneel down near the animals flank which usually gets only your upper body & head in the photo - makes the pic more about the animal than your ugly mug :) I dont mind a rifle in the photo, just not propped across the rack or laying on the animal. Holding it beside you or across your body looks good. I take pride in my rifles so I want them included.

One of the biggest things I do and like to see used is the rule of thirds - basically you divide your photo into three equal vertical parts, and the same for horizontal. Imagine a 9 box grid on your photo as you are shooting.

From there, you need to place dominant objects of the photo in separate 'thirds' of the photo, or on the lines separating the thirds. I'd have to dig up some examples to show it better (or just google it), but the key is not to center your photo on the dominant part of the image - break it up by placing distinctive objects or background points into that grid. Once you get familiar with what to look for, it makes for some nice photos.

* Edit - SSSs pics above make really good basic use of the thirds rule.