PDA

View Full Version : New grouse hunter

paddo
10-27-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm new to grouse hunting this year and have been out about 6 times on weekends. Squamish, Penticton, Harrison Lake, Pemberton.

Well, so far I haven't got any, and I've only seen 1, 2, or 0 each trip. Mostly I see them as they flush into the woods off the road. I've only had one real decent shot (I'm using a .22).

Anyhow, I've read that some areas are better than others this year for grouse. I'd really appreciate some advise on where to head (not too far from Vancouver). Feel free to PM me if you don't want to give any secrets away.

Also, I'm thinking of buying a shotgun mostly because I think I'd have a better chance. As I said, mostly I see them when they are flushing and don't have time to get a decent shot with my .22. What are your thoughts about an inexpensive and relatively light shotgun? (I like to go on long hikes so I don't want something too heavy.)

Thanks!

dougster
10-27-2010, 04:47 PM
a .410 works good for grouse, but the .22 is best. i like to go for them in the early afternoon when the deer hunting is slow. just walk along the roads, if you drive you can startle them, and when you get about 50-80 yards away take a head shot and enjoy

seanps
10-28-2010, 09:59 AM
I like my .20 gauge. If you're looking for lightness, get a single shot. Makes the whole game a bit more challenging as well, especially when you run into more than one bird. If you're in Vancouver look for a used gun at Reliable Gun or Italian Sporting Goods.

If you're new it'll take a while to develop the instincts to find them. For me, it's a lot about the noises; after some practice you can distinguish the noise of a leaf falling versus a bird taking a few steps. They blend in well, so spotting a still bird in a pile of leaves is almost impossible. I found a pair yesterday after hearing a light "crunch crunch" about 30 yards into the brush.

If you're in a birdy area, take a few steps, and then stop and pause. Look around, etc. You're likely walking by all kinds of them without knowing it. I'm hunting in some of the same areas you mentioned, and I never see fewer than 4 or 5 each trip.

You'll often startle them when they're on the side of a road. Good news is that they don't fly far. My advice: Rather than try to get off a quick shot, carefully watch where they fly, and if it looks as if they're landing or heading for a tree. If they land, they'll typically run for a bit and then strut around with their feathers up, watching.

Also, when you shoot one, take a look at the crop (it's at the base of the neck) and see what they're eating. If it's green leaves, start hunting in and around trees with green leaves.

I take my lab with me, which in theory should give me an advantage . . . but it ends up coming down to a game of who spots the bird first. If it's me, I shoot; if it's him, he chases it. Really need to work on that. However, if there's a bird in heavy brush off a road, he knows to find it and flush it out.

Any other questions?

One more thing: It may sound funny, and if anyone can back me up it'd be much appreciated. My brother and I are certain we can 'smell' them; we'll be hiking, notice a particular smell that's sort of musty, and almost always find a bird hiding nearby.

10-28-2010, 10:25 AM
If you're new it'll take a while to develop the instincts to find them. For me, it's a lot about the noises; after some practice you can distinguish the noise of a leaf falling versus a bird taking a few steps. They blend in well, so spotting a still bird in a pile of leaves is almost impossible. I found a pair yesterday after hearing a light "crunch crunch" about 30 yards into the brush.

I take my lab with me, which in theory should give me an advantage . . . but it ends up coming down to a game of who spots the bird first. If it's me, I shoot; if it's him, he chases it. Really need to work on that. However, if there's a bird in heavy brush off a road, he knows to find it and flush it out.

Seanps, Im sorry im gonna bug you here :mrgreen: Your dog lets you hear them befor he flushes them? And it comes down to who spots the bird firse you or your dog?????

lovin you Lab he is a cute guy but he needs a little work :mrgreen:
just a friendly lab guy to lab guy razzing!

O.P
Keep trying, be on the roads early in the morning start at day break and go till 11. Then stop for lunch and start again at 3 and go till dark.

With a .22 if the bird is facing at you shoot it in the brest. You will only have a .22 hole in it. Shot guns can do more dammage then a .22 face on. Side on and back on shoot the head. And dont try to get too close. The biggest thing i see new guys doing is forget they are shooting a gun and not throwing rocks. Your .22 should be good at a head shot out to 50yds. And if you can go buy one of them shooting sticks as well. So when you get out of the truck you arent looking for a rest or going free hand.

Good luck, keep at it and eventually it will come togeather.

seanps
10-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Seanps, Im sorry im gonna bug you here :mrgreen: Your dog lets you hear them befor he flushes them? And it comes down to who spots the bird firse you or your dog?????

lovin you Lab he is a cute guy but he needs a little work :mrgreen:
just a friendly lab guy to lab guy razzing!

Ha! Yep, he needs a bit of conditioning. I'm going to put a post over in the hunting dogs forum to look for some advice. For the most part he's either steady by my side, or sent up ahead to flush -- but if he sees a bird he just loses his mind.

I agree with 835 -- too often I try and sneak really close, forgetting how wide the shot from my .20 will spread.

ruger#1
10-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Paddo. Sept starting of the season, Try blue earth lake It's turn off is just past Spence's Bridge. Also upper hat creek is very good at the opening of the season. There are lots of Fields with bush you can walk and hunt in this area. I use a twenty gauge.

NorthShoreX
10-28-2010, 05:31 PM
I know you can have unlimited ammo capacity with .22's, but what are the rules when it comes to hunting? I have a Ruger 10/22 that I'd like to use for Grouse. I can't find anything about this in the hunting regs.

ruger#1
10-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Page 16. Grouse ptarmigan or turkeys, You can use a rim fire.

NorthShoreX
10-28-2010, 07:56 PM
I know that, but I'm wondering about the capacity limit (5, 10, 25 rounds).

Fishyy21
10-29-2010, 01:08 AM
went to area 7-16 came back with about 40 somthing grouse in 4 days between 4 ppl

stinney
10-29-2010, 01:24 AM
i personally prefer the .22 for grouse hunting as it leaves more meat intact. the shotgun sure does feel good though when they are skiddish like that. I want to try a slingshot...it seems every time I'm out hunting something else Im swarmed with grouse that I try to silently get with a log or rock...

10-29-2010, 08:21 AM
I know that, but I'm wondering about the capacity limit (5, 10, 25 rounds).

That there is an interesting question!
wonder what will come of it?

PS 20ga is best for upland! :mrgreen:

16ga
10-29-2010, 08:35 AM
a .410 works good for grouse, but the .22 is best. i like to go for them in the early afternoon when the deer hunting is slow. just walk along the roads, if you drive you can startle them, and when you get about 50-80 yards away take a head shot and enjoy

A head shot at 80 yards! no wonder I switched to my 16ga, I need to practice with my 22. I don't think I could even see a grouse at 80 yards.

barry1974w
10-29-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm a bit curious as to how many guys can hit a quarter with the first shot from field positions at distances over fifty yards. I figure that's about the size of a ditch chickens noggin, I know I can't do it very often. I also don't shoot a hign end .22 just a 10-22 with a 2.5-8X40 on it.

ruger#1
10-29-2010, 04:10 PM
I can hit shot gun shells at 50yrds with the 17 HMR.

anethema
11-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I think you guys are talking about different grouse than me! Those birds are designed to be eaten.

Over 2 days trekking around Christian Valley I shot my limit of ten grouse with a small .22 and with iron(peep) sights.

Most were shot after they had flown into the bush. The thing is, they never fly more than 20 feet in. Just pop them right out of the trees.

I'm no sharpshooter but I never missed a single shot just because they were always so close. (No head shots though)

Again, designed to be eaten! You just stand on the wings, grab the feet, and yank. You end up with the head and all the breast meat. No plucking, gutting, anything.

The wifey made a huge grouse stew that really hit the spot. Didn't see any shoot-able deer but that chipmunk got a workout!

(Chipmunk is the super tiny .22, single shot, weights like 2lbs haha.. http://www.gunblast.com/Chipmunk.htm)

EDIT: Been reading a long time and realized this if my first post. So, hi everyone!

nwalter
11-08-2010, 10:59 PM
I use a .410 with #6 shot in 2.5 inch cartridges 20 to 30 yards and they drop like stones with minimal damage to the breasts. I see a lot of Spruce and ruffed in 8-10 apparently blues are common but I have only seen 1

paddo
11-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the tips! Went out on Sunday up in the Fraser canyon and got my first one with my brand new 20 gauge.

I didn't have my camera in the field but here's the "after" pic of my first grouse!

I think this weekend I'm headed towards the South Okanagan. Anyone see any turkeys near Oliver or Osoyoos?

Great White Youth Hunter
01-02-2011, 05:44 PM
i think a shot guns best