PDA

View Full Version : Allergic reaction

Piledriver
10-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Any one have experience with allergic reactions in their dogs? My 15 month old male lab woke us up last night with red skin everywhere + 1 swollen eyebrow he was very distressed. I am 100% sure he did not injest anything yesterday except his usual food, 1 denti bone, and his usual ration of swamp grasses. He had his monthly application of interceptor flea prevention in the morning. At 02:30 this morning the Vet prescribed 50mg of Benedrill & that minimized the itching and got him to sleep. He was in both dry and wet grasses yesterday retrieving several ducks. I'm thinking perhaps a spider bite on his eyebrow? I didn't see any mites or fleas on him or the ducks. His eyebrow is still swollen but his skin is not as red but he's still a little itchy? The Vet couldn't nail down the cause. Any thoughts?

Jagermeister
10-27-2010, 10:01 AM
I will bet that you dog is allergic to the flea prevention ned. My Akita/Collie cross developed an allergy to a flea prevention med and had a severe reaction to it. The hair actually dropped out around the area where it was applied. That was the last time I used that crap. I stopped being lazy and gave the dog a bath whenever there appeared to be a flea manifestation.

Onesock
10-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Could be a spider bite to. My dog had the same symtoms and the Benadrill fixed her up.

Iron Glove
10-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Have the Vet do an allergy test.
That will help you elimninate a lot of potential allergens.
We had one of our mutts tested a few years back and found she was allergic to poultry, rice, ants, sagebrush ( lots of that in Vancouver :mrgreen: ) and lots of other things.
We now know to avoid certain things.

Salty
10-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Same thing happened to one of our dogs the other night. She came in from outside and her face was extremely swollen. Probably an inch and a half of build up around her nose and jowels, one eye almost swollen shut. It was late at night and no chance for a vet. All I could think of was antihystomines - the wife googled that and we ended up figuring out bendrill (sp?) We had some in the medicine cabinet. Two tablets that night (she's 50 lbs) two more three hours later two more in the morning and it cleared right up.

I'm thinking it was a bug bite for her for sure, probably a spider bite they're active as all hell and pissy right now getting ready for winter. ..

bsa30-06
10-27-2010, 04:51 PM
My golden retriever has a thing for eating bees , her face swells up and she looks like a bulldog.A little benadryl and she is back to normal in about 20 minutes.

Piledriver
10-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks to all of you! Gunner didn't hit normal till about 3PM today but, (just like Elvis P.) Gunner was high on antihistomines all day. Swelling now seems to be gone. I didn't equate allergy testing with dogs as well as humans. I'll do that if it happens again! I wondered about that flee prevention (my wife insists upon). Back east her hounds used to get fleas. Gunner swims no less than 10 minutes per day. Heck he's almost always damp! A flea would have to have scuba gear to survive on him! However, "a happy wife = a happy hunter"! Thanks again! Tom.

Salty
10-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Piledriver I don't know anything about that interceptor flea stuff. But having 3 dogs now and a cat we've had good luck with both Revolotion and Advantage flea treatment. Both are easily applied, don't seem to bother these or other pets we've had in the past that have passed on, and both work. We've found with the pups and kittens once a month or two is the way to go. When they're older way less frequent than they call for on the directions - six months to a year has worked. Good luck with it all glad the pooch is doing well. ..

Lots'oLabs
10-28-2010, 09:11 PM
We have 4 Labs and have never seen a flea on them or in the house.
I don't use any flea protection on any of them.
Nasty stuff when you consider that it is an injectable insecticide.
Whether it's applied transdermally or injected, it can be hard on the liver and kidneys.
If fleas aren't a problem in your area, why use it?

.....different though for those parts of BC that have heartworm. Ask a good honest vet if they think it's really needed in the area you live.

Deb

Piledriver
10-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Hey Deb, did I meet you and Ian at Al and Colleens this spring? Tom

Lots'oLabs
10-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Hi! Yes. We trained together.
Nice dog Tom!

PM sent.
Deb