PDA

View Full Version : whats a good gps

caper321
10-26-2010, 10:38 PM
i am sure this has been asked before, but what is a good gps? I would like something for around $250.00 that i could put alot of maps in. i never did any research on any yet, so i have no knowledge at all on these. Any info will be appreciated, thanks.

todbartell
10-26-2010, 10:53 PM
I like my Garmin Legend HCX, you can add a micro SD chip for more detailed maps. Im using the Backroads Mapbook chip, love it. The unit is discontiued I believe but can still be had for $210

scoot
10-26-2010, 11:05 PM
I am not sure about the new generation of Garmins that are on the market. But when I bought mine, the Ledgend cx and hcx were the best bang for the buck. I ended up buying the Vista cx with a few extra fetures. The amount of maps you want to hold depends on the size of memory card you put in the unit. (watch, as some units don't have memory cards). I am not sure what those two cost now, but both are great units. Also, there was a recent post i put up asking about the garmin and backroads programs. Check it out if you will be looking to buy the maps too.

Steeleco
10-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Cabela's has the Garmin 60Csx on sale for $269 IIRC, the mapping software will cost you around another $100

tuchodi
10-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Garmin seem to be the most consistent with good quality products and have a good $ range to choose from.

srupp
10-27-2010, 11:57 AM
hmmm I personally like the LOWRANCE system..I was with several guys the past few days that ALL had Garmin...too small screen, not the mapping software..as lowrance...STILL think Lowrance is far better IMO.

Steven

Caveman
10-27-2010, 12:40 PM
hmmm I personally like the LOWRANCE system..I was with several guys the past few days that ALL had Garmin...too small screen, not the mapping software..as lowrance...STILL think Lowrance is far better IMO.

Steven

Size doesn't always matter Steve! Small is sometimes better. :mrgreen: Never looked at the Lowrance, but I have the first version of the yellow Garmin. It works fine, simple to use for the basics. Biggest drawback is the grayscale screen. That will be the first thing I look for in a new one, color that is.

tomahawk
10-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Got a new Garmin Oregon 200 with the BC Backroads map mini sd chip, its a great setup, I find trails, swamps, ponds and little lakes that I would never have known were there without it. Paid $210.00 Canadian at Cabela's in Lacey, Wash. I also have an older Lowrance but its not close to the Oregon.

One Shot
10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
I have and like the Garmin 60CSx. I have Topo Canada, Marine and Backroads chips for it.

srupp
10-27-2010, 01:27 PM
hmmm my Lowrance is still greyscale and it works just fine...the biggest bonuses with Lowrance is the "engine" and the size of the screen makes going in to detail much easier..detail very easy to see...
Steven

Brizz
10-27-2010, 01:34 PM
The new Garmin 62csx looks pretty sweet and has satellite image capabilities but I think it's over $300.

shantz
10-27-2010, 01:58 PM
I have had the Garmin 60Csx for three years with no complaints.

demlake
10-27-2010, 02:04 PM
I have an old Map76 by Garmin.

I looked into getting a new one, but the 76 does what I need it to do, so I decided to hold off for now.

But from what I read, the new machines have much better satellite acquisition. And also the ability to use memory cards.

I'd make sure that any new machine I bought had both of those.

tomahawk
10-27-2010, 02:44 PM
hmmm my Lowrance is still greyscale and it works just fine...the biggest bonuses with Lowrance is the "engine" and the size of the screen makes going in to detail much easier..detail very easy to see...
Steven

If you need detail with the Garmin you just zoom in to however close you like

ZENYO
10-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Another vote for the garmin 60csx... I'm actualy using the 60cx and it's a great unit!

caper321
10-27-2010, 04:18 PM
thanks for all the advice, garmin seems to be the choice. My neighbour said he has a megellin and they were one of the first and he says they are ahead of the game, but as i said i have not done any research yet, so again thanks for all the info, much appreciated.:-D

Biggestfish
10-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Just got a Garmin Oregon 450 is it is great. Would highly recommend it.

WoollyBullets
11-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Garmin gps receivers do work excellent. I use the 76csx, if you can find this in your price range I highly recommend it. It always works well even under a forest canopy.

Jagermeister
11-02-2010, 11:06 PM
StevenI would like to know what the "engine" is?

Greyscale is harder to see, especially in bright light, no matter the size of the screen, just compare one with color to greyscale to see what I mean.

Currently, I use a Garmin GPSmap 76C. It is an older model and has no SD micro port, but 115mb internal memory. I use Topo Canada and can see the track on Google Earth if I so choose when I have the track downloaded. I have about 2/3 of the province loaded into it and should I want to change location, I can download an overlay for the area of interest. This unit is no longer available, but there are similar ones from Garmin with the SD micro slots. With Topo Canada and a handfull of the cards, you can download from the map program to card for your own personal map library.

The antennas determine reception, there might be some benefit to having a model like the 530CX or one of the same configuration. The fact is, to get a proper fix, the unit, has to receive a sigmal from a minimum of 3 satellites, regardless of make or manufacture. The most antennas that the units will have are 12. The most satellites that you will likely receive from will be 8 with a strong signal from less than that. The more satellites you receive, the better the fix. Eight satellites with strong signal will get your fix to 5 or 6 meters, maybe down to 3 meters. If you are high enough and you have a good visual to the south, have WAAS enable, your fix will be really good, providing you're not too far north.

I recommend Garmin. Get the biggest bang for your bucks, but spend a little more bucks.