PDA

View Full Version : first bow hunt

marcocor
10-26-2010, 07:53 PM
i am very new to bows and a friend is going to take me out for a deer hunt in nov. but i need some broadheads I am sure this is not the first time this has been asked but fixed or mechanical ? I was thinking less $ because i am sure to loose one or more . another thing 100gr or 125gr the arrows i have are easton 2114 and the bow is an old bear 55#

mikek blacktail
10-26-2010, 08:49 PM
fixed broadhead would be my choice on traditional equip.Make sure you practice lots it isn't easy with traditional equipment.might want a little hievier arrow maybe a 2216 and use a 125 but either wieght will do

islandboy
10-26-2010, 09:01 PM
How long have you been practicing archery?

bearslayer01
10-26-2010, 09:12 PM
with the lower poundage i would go with 100 gr if u have problems shootign fixed blades but your field tips shoot good switch to a hybred somthign with a decent cut on contact tip and mechanical blaeds i recommed then montec well or anything from g5 mechanicals blades are already open and the deploy backwords so even if the dont open the will stiill cut. I dont trust anythign that has to flip open

stonepoint
10-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Don't fire at an animal unless you are good enough to consistently hit an apple at 25 yards. An apple is about the size of a deer's heart. If you don't wait until you can hit an apple, you will miss the heart. You will most likely miss the lungs too ('cause you'll be shakin'). In truth, you will probably hit the animal in the ass. We will come across that later on in the woods, after two weeks of it suffering and dying a slow painful death of gangrene. At which point the meat will not be edible, and your karma will very bad indeed.
If you are William Tell, good luck out there! And enjoy this gorgeous country. It's a lot of fun.

marcocor
10-26-2010, 09:39 PM
only been shooting for about 3 months but can put a consistant group at 40 yds

marcocor
10-26-2010, 09:45 PM
will try shooting some apples this weekend but in all honesty just wanted to be prepared but really just going out for experience

Awishanew
10-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Use a heavy arrow setup and try out your broadheads for accuracy as they may shoot somewhat differently than your fieldtips, Also, don.t shoot over 15 to 18 yds. and only broadside and the deer relaxed. Remember 1/3 up the body right behind the leg. Good luck.

16ga
10-30-2010, 03:46 PM
will try shooting some apples this weekend but in all honesty just wanted to be prepared but really just going out for experience

Have you tried hitting the apples yet?