PDA

View Full Version : Fort ware or ware

elkster
05-21-2006, 07:11 PM
I've seen it spelt just Ware, but the proper name is Fort Ware. Its up at the top end of Williston lake. Anyone been in there? Whats the road like into there. The odds for lehs in that area are very good. Just wondering.

Maxx
05-21-2006, 07:14 PM
It is a long way by truck IMO, good luck,

mainland hunter
05-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Dont go. i drew there for moose and grizz and ended up deciding not to hunt there due to an unfriendly native band that apparantly doesnt take well to people hunting in the area. we heard reports of people having there camps torn threw and even trucks being stolen and torched. we figured its not worth the risk that far out. the road however is decent

mark
05-23-2006, 07:08 AM
Dont go. i drew there for moose and grizz and ended up deciding not to hunt there due to an unfriendly native band that apparantly doesnt take well to people hunting in the area. we heard reports of people having there camps torn threw and even trucks being stolen and torched. we figured its not worth the risk that far out. the road however is decent

ive heard the same thing about that area!

boxhitch
05-23-2006, 07:11 AM
Thats the thing about stories.........
I have heard stories of hunters with horses, going into the Ware area, having trailer trouble, and the locals being a great help and very hospitable. Check with the authoritys, CO's,etc. for the straight guff.

Timbow
05-23-2006, 11:57 AM
I worked up in that country. It's a long drive and the road can be rough in sections depending on what logging activity is going on. We saw very little game in that area due to the native hunting year round. Around 1995-96 there was a large forest fire that was around 10,000 ha in size. They logged the accessable areas and left the rest. Those ares should be prime moose areas.

If you are interested in that country, I would recommend turning south after crossing the north tip of Williston Lake and travel to the Ospika area. We saw more game in that country than the Fort Ware area.

elkster
05-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks for all the info. We started figuring out distances and gas prices. Well that kinda put the kibosh on that. Wwe just have to find somewhere a little closer to home.
thanks Guys

Art

Husky7mm
05-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Live a little are you going to check that country out when your an old fart?

elkster
05-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Live a little are you going to check that country out when your an old fart?

I am already an old fart. I think its just maybe too far to go and not get anything. I guess when we first looked at it, it seemed like a good idea. Might have the luckys in the system.

Mik
05-24-2006, 06:00 AM
Iv'e hunted around Thutade Lake, ( just West of Fort Ware), Great area, good road, excellent Moose hunting. It's a long way in, we brought 4- 45Gallon Drums of Gas with us for a 14 day hunt.Have more info if you like.
Mik

ryanb
05-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Just got back from that area. Natives were not a problem, and it seems the stories are a little exagerated. Saw many many moose, caribou, and black bear, but not one damn grizzly.

It's a long drive in, but the roads are pretty great. Someone had told me access was shit and all the roads were washed out. What a load of crap that was. Even the deactivated roads were in great shape. I don't know if it was just someone protecting their favourite spot or talkin out their ass, but don't always believe what you read on here.

Maxx
05-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Good for you Ryan B, not many people would have the balls to drive all that way to look for a Griz, in an area that they did not know!

elkster
05-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Just got back from that area. Natives were not a problem, and it seems the stories are a little exagerated. Saw many many moose, caribou, and black bear, but not one damn grizzly.

It's a long drive in, but the roads are pretty great. Someone had told me access was shit and all the roads were washed out. What a load of crap that was. Even the deactivated roads were in great shape. I don't know if it was just someone protecting their favourite spot or talkin out their ass, but don't always believe what you read on here.

How's the access to fuel? Did you have to pack it all in?

ryanb
05-30-2006, 07:21 AM
How's the access to fuel? Did you have to pack it all in?

We came prepared with 150 litres extra, but there were at least a couple spots you could buy fuel up there (both of which were CHEAPER than gas in the city, go figure). Omineca camp 2/3 of the way up the lake sells fuel, and you could top up your tank there and easily make it back without even needing jerry cans.

elkster
05-31-2006, 08:28 PM
We came prepared with 150 litres extra, but there were at least a couple spots you could buy fuel up there (both of which were CHEAPER than gas in the city, go figure). Omineca camp 2/3 of the way up the lake sells fuel, and you could top up your tank there and easily make it back without even needing jerry cans.
Thanks for the info,
Still trying to decide if we're going there or not. Guess I'll have to put it to the vote, and see how the guys feel.
Cheers,
art