PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry De-bone??

Gunner Staal
10-26-2010, 05:32 PM
With the rut fast approaching im planning on doing some serious hiking trips. If successful I will be skinning, quartering and deboning in the bush and packing it out myself. I dont have a hunting partner so im curious as to how much of the animal you guys pack out when your on your own and in this situation. Also, does anyone have a good youtube video or tips on deboning? I havn't done it yet and im trying to get prepped for what might be to come? Im planning for a mulie buck pack out....not moose of course.

Thanks fellas

Mountain Man
10-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Outdoor edge has a great video you can buy cheap ! It goes through it start to finish it will help you big time !!

Gunner Staal
10-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Awesome. Where is outdoor edge? Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Mountain Man
10-26-2010, 05:53 PM
They make all sorts of hunting knives and products.

Outdoor Edge Quarter and De-bone big game in the field Volume 2.

Probly get it for 2 bucks on e-bay !!

kennyj
10-26-2010, 06:40 PM
I pack ALL the meat out. I love it and the regs say you must. A big mulie will take 2 trips in rough country.( 90+ lbs de-boned plus cape and antlers)A big moose a least 5 pack loads of meat.( 400 lbs+ ) Full skull and antlers can weigh 60 lbs and are very difficult to pack. Great fun. I'm doing a solo mulie hunt myself again this year and hope to have 2 hard pack loads of meat.
Good luck
kenny

Brambles
10-26-2010, 06:49 PM
If you had Limited amount of gear AND the terrain was reasonable you could do it in one trip.

But if you got a gear along for a few days then your gonna be making two trips.

I personally dislike making multiple trips if I dont' have to, so if I could make one trip with an uncomfortable load then I would, provided the terrain would allow.

Rattler and I used that go heavy or go home attitude when we packed out my elk this year in one trip each.

behemoth
10-26-2010, 06:49 PM
There are lots of threads on here about the gutless method.
If the hike out is a long way, you can go one step further and take out the leg bones.

As for how much meat.... all of it!!!!!!!!!!

branthunter
10-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Don't neglect to take the shanks from the knee down and the meat between the ribs----that meat makes the best osso buco and tagine in all of culinary creation and yet it is frequently left behind for the ravens, even at roadside kills.

swampthing
10-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Boning is fairly easy once you do a few. I take the four quarters and the backstraps. I have never packed out the neck meat. Quite often a shoulder is shot up too. Put a front and rear quater as well as one backstrap into a game bag. Two bags will do. As you peel one side of the hide off, lay the meat on it as you go. Flip the animal and repeat. Once the animal is back home you may as well cut and wrap yourself as your halfway there already. I am self taught and do alright. I get more scrap for burger and such than a real butcher would but I enjoy clean, choice cuts. Have fun.

10-26-2010, 08:50 PM
All edible portions, it's the law, deboned every thing, 2 trips if you have too, if your adding a cape for weight it will be 2 trips for SURE!

CT

scoot
10-26-2010, 11:17 PM
If you had Limited amount of gear AND the terrain was reasonable you could do it in one trip.

But if you got a gear along for a few days then your gonna be making two trips.

I personally dislike making multiple trips if I dont' have to, so if I could make one trip with an uncomfortable load then I would, provided the terrain would allow.

Rattler and I used that go heavy or go home attitude when we packed out my elk this year in one trip each.

Ditto! I find the heavy load is worth not doing a second trip, that's if it can be done. As also mentioned, if you are bringing out any cape, I think with gear and meat, that would put you over the top for making only one trip. But take all the meat man, you have to and it's worth it.

Gateholio
10-27-2010, 12:09 AM
If it's a deer, you can take it all in one trip. You can bone out the hinds pretty quick- they are easy. Shoulders are less easy, because they have a few different angles, but it's worth it to take out the shoulder bones

Remove to loins and the tenderloins, and grunt your way back!:-D

Elk and moose are big, require the same treatment,but multiple trips.....I don't knwo any 2 guys that can take out a deboned moose in one go.:wink:

3006pg
10-27-2010, 12:52 AM
hit the gym and see how she goes ;)

KevinB
10-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Elk and moose are big, require the same treatment,but multiple trips.....I don't knwo any 2 guys that can take out a deboned moose in one go.:wink:

Just have to shoot smaller moose.

Gateholio
10-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Also...

LEAVE THE EVIDENCE OF SEX ATTACHED OT ONE PART OF THE DEER!:-D

moosinaround
10-27-2010, 06:33 PM
I packed out my calf in 2 trips this year. It was a grunt for sure!! Must have been 100 lbs + each trip. I am sure glad I did though, it is a pretty good marker for my training, and it told me to keep on training I AM NOT NEAR READY!!! If it was a bigger bull I would have boned it out. I have boned out a bear, deer and now part of the calf, and it wasn't that hard. Just take your time with taking the hide off, and it would have been nice to have had a tarp to lay the meat on. Youtube has some vids that show guys boning out elk and deer. Moosin

KevinB
10-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Here's a decent site showing the gutless quartering method.

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=News&file=print&sid=27

You can then debone the quarters from there - it makes a big difference to weight and bulk.

Here's a good visual of deboning a front shoulder:

http://www.best-venison.com/pdf/venison_front_shoulder.pdf

and here's a site that shows deboning everything, but the pictures kinda suck:

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/he125w.htm

The first few times will take awhile and might look a bit ugly, but you'll get better and faster.

GoatGuy
10-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Here's a decent site showing the gutless quartering method.

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=News&file=print&sid=27

You can then debone the quarters from there - it makes a big difference to weight and bulk.

Here's a good visual of deboning a front shoulder:

http://www.best-venison.com/pdf/venison_front_shoulder.pdf

and here's a site that shows deboning everything, but the pictures kinda suck:

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/he125w.htm

The first few times will take awhile and might look a bit ugly, but you'll get better and faster.

There ya go, first time seeing that one on boning.

Couple things we do differently is one side at a time and skin completely (evidence of sex and species still applies) if it's going into game bags. Do the cut along the back from head to tail. Take the fronts, hinds, backstrap, neck meat, trim, etc and tenderloin then flip and repeat. Keeps the hair program down - no need to pick hair off when you get home.

If the hair's staying on guess it doesn't really matter.

Also go in from the last rib to get the tenderloin out of either side.

Gunner Staal
10-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for all the helpful tips boys. Ill let you know how she goes.

Fisher-Dude
10-27-2010, 08:16 PM
With the rut fast approaching im planning on doing some serious hiking trips. If successful I will be skinning, quartering and deboning in the bush and packing it out myself. I dont have a hunting partner so im curious as to how much of the animal you guys pack out when your on your own and in this situation. Also, does anyone have a good youtube video or tips on deboning? I havn't done it yet and im trying to get prepped for what might be to come? Im planning for a mulie buck pack out....not moose of course.

Thanks fellas

ALL the meat. It's the law. That includes neck meat and rib meat. The "four quarters" include the neck and ribs, FYI.

eastkoot
10-27-2010, 08:19 PM
I think I call bullpoop on anyone who can carry a bull elk or moose out in one trip with two guys.. All edible portions,horns etc. no way!!! This from packing large animals a long ways many times..:-?

BCKID
10-27-2010, 08:21 PM
This is the one I use.

http://ces.uwyo.edu/PUBS/B884R.pdf

GoatGuy
10-27-2010, 08:43 PM
I think I call bullpoop on anyone who can carry a bull elk or moose out in one trip with two guys.. All edible portions,horns etc. no way!!! This from packing large animals a long ways many times..:-?

Bone out makes a huge difference. A small 6 would be very doable.

BromBones
10-27-2010, 08:56 PM

We've done large bull caribou and younger bull moose in one trip/two guys, but that was in decent terrain.

Crossing deadfall or winding through alders though is a different story.

lnelson
10-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Go to elk101.com and watch the video's on the gutless method. They will take you through it step by step.

bearslayer01
10-27-2010, 09:29 PM
some of u guys are big hippocrites a guarantee not 1 person takes all edible portions out its easy to add meat when your not packing it out i guess u guys must be hunters from god. If your going to pack out rib meat u should take eyes ear feet nose and hey y not just but the damn deer on your back.... But once u get it home its ok to waste as much as want right. soo question then if u drop a piece of meat in the dirt is it edible and do u ahve to pack it out? Becasue if u drop a piece of meat on your floor home and throw it out its ok sombody needs to define edible before i get any more angy

bearslayer01
10-27-2010, 09:30 PM
how can u bone out a deer gutless and take all edible portions what about briskits and the flanks this is bogus

Gateholio
10-27-2010, 10:51 PM
how can u bone out a deer gutless and take all edible portions what about briskits and the flanks this is bogus

How do you remove the brisket and flanks when you shoot a deer on the road, gut it and take it home?

Same way as you remove brisket and flank when using gutless method- you cut them off.

I don't take deer rib meat, as there is very little there. Neck meat makes great stewing meat, so it always comes home.

Gateholio
10-27-2010, 10:53 PM
some of u guys are big hippocrites a guarantee not 1 person takes all edible portions out its easy to add meat when your not packing it out i guess u guys must be hunters from god. If your going to pack out rib meat u should take eyes ear feet nose and hey y not just but the damn deer on your back.... But once u get it home its ok to waste as much as want right. soo question then if u drop a piece of meat in the dirt is it edible and do u ahve to pack it out? Becasue if u drop a piece of meat on your floor home and throw it out its ok sombody needs to define edible before i get any more angy

Eyes, ears, feet, nose organs and bones dont' need to be retained, as far as I know. Dirt on meat can be washed off at home, but why would you drop your meat in the dirt in the first place?

Fisher-Dude
10-28-2010, 05:43 AM
Rib meat is edible, and part of the 4 quarters. You must take it.

In the NWT, if you leave an "ice cream pail" of meat behind from a moose, you get a ticket.

KevinB
10-28-2010, 07:59 AM
There ya go, first time seeing that one on boning.

Couple things we do differently is one side at a time and skin completely (evidence of sex and species still applies) if it's going into game bags. Do the cut along the back from head to tail. Take the fronts, hinds, backstrap, neck meat, trim, etc and tenderloin then flip and repeat. Keeps the hair program down - no need to pick hair off when you get home.

If the hair's staying on guess it doesn't really matter.

Also go in from the last rib to get the tenderloin out of either side.

That's what I do, as well. Way cleaner than what the fellow shows in the article. You can use the skinned out side of hide to put meat on, if you don't have bags or pillow cases. What I like about that article is that it shows where to cut to remove the hind quarter, which can be a little tough to figure out the first time.

I have a great video that shows how to properly debone a hind quarter with pretty much just 2 cuts (if you have a long boning knife) but the file is over 60MB! And, I have lost the link to it on the internet.

budismyhorse
10-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Rib meat is edible, and part of the 4 quarters. You must take it.

In the NWT, if you leave an "ice cream pail" of meat behind from a moose, you get a ticket.

..interesting ....makes sense.

EastKoot........2 dudes, 1 bull elk deboned.....hack horns no "euro mount"....no hide........and that was a small bull.

......is doable......but you are looking at 150 pound pack at a minimum. Otherwise you are leaving meat behind. I've seen it done by one of the strongest most stubborn guys I know.......and he wasn't going very friggin far. The pack in this photo was 150 pounds MINIMUM. do the math.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/A_Grunt.jpg

Consider this, I quartered an elk a few years ago and brought it out on horses and straight to the butcher. Each quarter bone-in weighed 90 pounds (Straight across vertebrae and split down the middle for fronts and hinds_good ol' wyoming saw)

The butcher tagged me for 97 pounds of bone and waste and I paid for the rest of the meat.

that equates to 130 per person deboned......and that doesn't include back straps and neck, horns AND gear........

I tend to agree with you bud, the reality is, when two guys have an elk on the ground and just their legs to pack it out.......suddenly, "the fronts are totally shot".......and so forth.

Its math fellas.

xtremearchery
10-28-2010, 09:33 AM
I agree, 2 trips. Though I've been fortunate, only have had to do this once. I love my Badlands pack. Works like a charm for that application.

10-28-2010, 10:49 AM
We've done the gutless on 2 elk this fall. Mine was 4 trips with a little help from another hunter, and my partners elk took 2 trips with both of us packing heavy loads. Both elk were really big (340 class), and I can't imagine 2 guys doing that in one trip, but maybe I'm just wimpy.

BC Boy
10-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi, check out this video, its a 2 parter http://elk101.com/webisodes/gutless-video/

budismyhorse
10-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Hi, check out this video, its a 2 parter http://elk101.com/webisodes/gutless-video/

you could feed a small army with the amount of meat those guys are wasting.......

JCVD
10-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Pretty damn easy to pack out a deboned deer by yourself, never had a problem with that ever. If 2 guys are physically strong (not just cardio wise) an elk or moose deboned can be done in one trip. Obviously the old, infirmed and weak need not apply.

budismyhorse
10-29-2010, 07:40 AM
Pretty damn easy to pack out a deboned deer by yourself, never had a problem with that ever. If 2 guys are physically strong (not just cardio wise) an elk or moose deboned can be done in one trip. Obviously the old, infirmed and weak need not apply.

....as long as you leave behind lots of meat......it isn't a problem:icon_frow

frenchbar
10-29-2010, 08:01 AM

2 guys packing out a deboned bull moose your looking at a 200 pound or over pack each...u must have tree trunks for legs:mrgreen:

averagejoe
10-29-2010, 08:02 AM
....as long as you leave behind lots of meat......it isn't a problem:icon_frow

i have packed out half an elk boned before.. hind quarter and front quarter (unboned) backstraps tenderloints half neck and rib meat. about 145 pounds pretty good load. need help getting up but doable

budismyhorse
10-29-2010, 08:19 AM
i have packed out half an elk boned before.. hind quarter and front quarter (unboned) backstraps tenderloints half neck and rib meat. about 145 pounds pretty good load. need help getting up but doable

unless it was a spiker............you must have left a lot of meat behind....

and all your gear, rifle and horns (which are required to come out).

I've debone, quartered, butchered way too many elk to believe you.

I've also packed 130-150 pound packs and that is entirely possible. But I'm saying the math doesn't work if you take all the meat required.

JCVD
10-29-2010, 09:28 AM
2 guys packing out a deboned bull moose your looking at a 200 pound or over pack each...u must have tree trunks for legs:mrgreen:

Well I squat over 500 pounds regular-ally and do walking lunges with 225 for burn out reps and deadlift 600+ If you are strong it is no problem. I have packed out full BT deer around my shoulders when I was young and did not know about deboning. Nothing is out of reach if you are strong enough.

frenchbar
10-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Well I squat over 500 pounds regular-ally and do walking lunges with 225 for burn out reps and deadlift 600+ If you are strong it is no problem. I have packed out full BT deer around my shoulders when I was young and did not know about deboning. Nothing is out of reach if you are strong enough.
Holy chit ...if im in cell range when i drop my next moose can i call you up and borrow your legs and back:wink: sounds like you can pack a hell of a load:-D

JCVD
10-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Holy chit ...if im in cell range when i drop my next moose can i call you up and borrow your legs and back:wink: sounds like you can pack a hell of a load:-D

Actually for my weight I am pretty weak in comparison to other people that I know. I don't train competitively though lol, just one of the more useful hobbies I have. Most men can do what I do with a solid program and 4 years of training. Check out my buddy Kabuki from the states for instance. Much lighter than me but way, way stronger (he does train for competition). Lots of crazy videos on his page of him. I dare people to even try the wheel of death like he does them lol..slightly intense.:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egoUEgCskpU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyb86AA3R2k

GoatGuy
10-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Thinking about this what's an immy bull carcass around 350 lbs? Say you take the bone out and you get 200 lbs of meat (if that), very, very doable even for two outta shape guys. Wouldn't be much more for your everyday 6 pts.

swampthing
10-29-2010, 06:03 PM
I have two very scookum friends who carried out a whole boned out elk in one load each, plus their backpack gear. It was only 3km and all downhill through fairly easy terrain. We had hiked up the night before and shot one elk. The next morning my two partners slept in a bit while I went after the 6 point that got away the night before. I couldnt find it and when I got back to the kill site, I saw my two partners 1km down the hill and saw a pile of bones. Tough, but it can be done.