PDA

View Full Version : leaving your truck/Camp

Barracuda
10-26-2010, 04:51 PM
sometimes I drive my truck to an area not far along the FSR, unload my MC and drive the backwoods (lisensed ad insured) to where i want to hunt (or i simply ride around looking for game or sign).

I am torn between leaving the truck obvious (on a main FSR) or setting a daycamp up hidden away to return to later.

they both have drawbacks but which do you feel is the lesser of the two from a risk point of view.

I also feel the same about the jetboat even though the chances of someone else being up a shallow river is pretty slim it is always a little unnerving.

swampthing
10-26-2010, 07:33 PM
I leave mine right out in the open. Lock up your ramps.

lightmag
10-26-2010, 07:35 PM

drive on top of your ramps!! works great. leave nothing of value in your vehicle and buy insurance, what else can you do.

Yotapup
10-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I'm always wary of leaving my car on the side of the FSR when I go for a hike, even though all steps are taken so there's no reason to get a window smashed in...

dog812
10-26-2010, 07:44 PM
i always feel the same.. especially about leaving camp for the day.. worried ill come back and my whole trailer will be sacked.

laredo318
10-26-2010, 07:56 PM
There have been threads about camps being trashed. I thinkl one of the better things is to put up a sign, along the lines of..
I have 3 new trail cameras posted around the sight. They can see, and are recording you. Can you see them??

mark
10-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Good advise! I see people parked on their ramps all the time now!

Park or camp in the middle landing of a huge cut block, put a sign in the drivers window....."I can see you"

I met a guy in the west koots this year....he had parked his quad at the end of the road (about a mile PAST his camp) in the last cutblock.
He decided he wasnt going too far in the bush so decided to leave his packframe at the quad.
He was only a few hundred yards in the bush, heard a truck pull up, guy gets out and lets out a fine bugle, he figured he'd humor the guy and return the bugle..... walked out and his pack frame was gone!

Myself Ive never had any problems, someone would have to be an idiot to mess with someone with a gun, that could walk out at any second!

caper321
10-26-2010, 08:06 PM
WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are all there for the same fuc king thing. Why touch other peoples stuff. You would'nt like it, so why do it to someone else.:confused::confused::confused:

Yotapup
10-26-2010, 08:22 PM
WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are all there for the same fuc king thing. Why touch other peoples stuff. You would'nt like it, so why do it to someone else.:confused::confused::confused:

Man, today's society is screwed... Best anyone can do is take precautions and trust no one.

buck nash
10-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Leave a note on the dash that says "I'm hunting from a stand within sight of this vehicle and have a high powered scoped rifle. If you're reading this you are probably in my crosshairs."

BCLongshot
10-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Ya this sucks.

The best one is other hunters who buy gear that is obviously hot !

ha ha ha Ya.....duh I bought a pair of blah blah binos at the flea market for $ 100. The guy selling'em didn't know what he had. ha ha ha duh

Jagermeister
10-26-2010, 08:29 PM
No, not all people are out there pursuing game.
There are those that know that some of us have a tendency to leave some nice stuff laying about while we are on a walkabout. They are the ones that want to take advantage of your generosity in getting them their next fix.
So get it out of your head that all the people travelling up and down FSRs are nice honest hunters like you and me and most all the others on this forum.
Know that some are thieving scumbags.

Big Lew
10-26-2010, 08:38 PM
There are those that know that some of us have a tendency to leave some nice stuff laying about while we are on a walkabout. They are the ones that want to take advantage of your generosity in getting them their next fix.
So get it out of your head that all the people travelling up and down FSRs are nice honest hunters like you and me and most all the others on this forum.
You're absolutely right!! There are individuals prowling around the forestry roads just to steal stuff. My brother and his logging crew take down licence plate numbers anytime they notice vehicles driving near their equipment....they have lost too much gear, even during the day when they are nearby working.

caper321
10-26-2010, 08:51 PM

i know there are other people that are NOT hunters up there that are looking for some free stuff. But what pisses me off the most is when other HUNTERS steal, thats what i was refering to.

Allen50
10-26-2010, 09:05 PM
and most of all do these people know wear you might be,, and that were caring firearms,,would you go steel from someones truck, not knowing where this person is,,maybe your dumber then a stump or you have very very big ones, to go steel from someone out hunting,, what will you do if they or he comes back and finds you in his truck,, hummmmmm, yea and it happens more then we know,, not all is reported, and it all should be reported to the cops, and the co's of the area, they will keep there eyes open,,and we can't loose sleep woundering what if,, we just have to go out there and hunt,,

oldschoolguy
10-26-2010, 09:29 PM
It would be an awesome joke to bait someone. Leave ur truck like you normally would and take up position 200 yards away. In sight. Wait for someone to try take something and then send a 30-06 bullet skidding through the gravel between their feet. U'd prolly get in shit for doing it, but the guy would never, ever try it again

urbanhermit
10-26-2010, 09:32 PM
thieves are the true cancer of society, they undermine every facit of civilization.

Phil
10-26-2010, 09:41 PM
I was parked at the start of main line this summer up in Fort Nelson. I came back to find every one of my tie down straps cut and my padlocks smashed. I had met a couple of unfriendly types on the trail who were heading out to the main road who I suspect of doing the damage. Fortunately they could not get through locks but they did do a lot of damage. I was pissed and felt worse cause my 9 year old had to witness the mess. I am glad that they were not there when I showed up.

BigBanger
10-27-2010, 12:44 AM
I like to tuck my truck away and set up camp.

Mr. Dean
10-27-2010, 01:24 AM
'Cudda; I like staying at private camping facilities just for this piece of mind. I'll then go bouncing off in my Jeep, DEEP into the bush where I rarely meet a sole. I also (typically) stay at home for the 'any buck' season.

When I park the Jeep, it's in the WIDE OPEN with little/nothing inside and ideally, in the bottom of a deactivation or hung up in a ditch so it can't be tossed off the mountain without hard effort. If what I need doesn't fit into my pack, I don't really need it or can handle it being stolen (not life threatening if gone).

But it SUCKS that this is even a concern......

Timber-hunt
10-27-2010, 07:14 AM
this happened to us a few years back.Set up camp ,friend just bought a new quad to try out in the OK ,so we decided to leave the quad at camp and hike up the mountain watching or camp all the way up an hour goes by and we hear a truck come in to our camp site, there were 3 of them 1 gets out looks in to our truck, that was parked at camp, the other gets out and check out my friends quad that was chained up. They scouted the place out for about ten minutes ,then the driver of the truck backs up the truck to the quad ,we were about 200 yards away watching this.I looked over to my friend and he had his rifle up and had the cross hairs on the guy that was sitting on his quad. Scared the $hit out of me ,he had the cross hairs on his head, they were trying to steal his quad by trying to left it up off the ground on to the truck,while this was happening my friend was saying I going to shot the SOB I have the cross hairs right on his f--kin head .I thought he was going to shoot him.I yelled out get the f--k away form our camp. the 3 thieves stopped for a sec trying to see were the yelling came from at that point my friend let out a shot that hit the gravel about 10 yards from there truck.I never was so scared in my life.I think if I didn't yell at those thieves my friend would of shot one and made up a story about what happened they took off so fast we noticed no lic plates on the truck ,we took down camp then went to the rcmp to told them what happened and they said its happened a few times ,your one of the lucky ones rcmp figures its the locals crack heads trying to make a quick buck

shadow1982
10-27-2010, 08:08 AM
IMHO Timber-hunt Kudo's to your friend.

trigger
10-27-2010, 12:35 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/c2732509.jpg

ratherbefishin
10-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Tough call,and with the laws the way they are if YOU do something,chances are YOU are the one who is going to pay for it-even if you got off,YOU still have your lawyer to pay-actually, you pay for their lawyer too-legal aid which comes out of your taxes....you would be forgiven if you thought you couldn't win....and chances are-the theives wouldn't even get any time added to what they stole from you-its all lumped together with the rest of the charges against them.

Somehow there is something in me that says if you wore out a willow stick on their backside,justice would be served,and if I was on jury I'd have a hard time convicting anybody guilty of assault if thats what they did ,even if I saw it on video tape

Jagermeister
10-27-2010, 12:57 PM
i know there are other people that are NOT hunters up there that are looking for some free stuff. But what pisses me off the most is when other HUNTERS steal, thats what i was refering to.How do you differentiate between "other people" and "hunters"?

In an outdoor setting, you can't differentiate. You cannot say as one vehicle passes your vehicle that that is a thief and that the next vehicle that passes is a hunter. Thieves under the guise as hunters are still thieves.
It is the individual human nature to be honest or not to be honest. Thieves are creatures of opportunity and leaving stuff openly visable to a thief only invites him to purloin your valuables whether you think he is a hunter or otherwise.

oldschoolguy
10-27-2010, 01:48 PM
this happened to us a few years back.Set up camp ,friend just bought a new quad to try out in the OK ,so we decided to leave the quad at camp and hike up the mountain watching or camp all the way up an hour goes by and we hear a truck come in to our camp site, there were 3 of them 1 gets out looks in to our truck, that was parked at camp, the other gets out and check out my friends quad that was chained up. They scouted the place out for about ten minutes ,then the driver of the truck backs up the truck to the quad ,we were about 200 yards away watching this.I looked over to my friend and he had his rifle up and had the cross hairs on the guy that was sitting on his quad. Scared the $hit out of me ,he had the cross hairs on his head, they were trying to steal his quad by trying to left it up off the ground on to the truck,while this was happening my friend was saying I going to shot the SOB I have the cross hairs right on his f--kin head .I thought he was going to shoot him.I yelled out get the f--k away form our camp. the 3 thieves stopped for a sec trying to see were the yelling came from at that point my friend let out a shot that hit the gravel about 10 yards from there truck.I never was so scared in my life.I think if I didn't yell at those thieves my friend would of shot one and made up a story about what happened they took off so fast we noticed no lic plates on the truck ,we took down camp then went to the rcmp to told them what happened and they said its happened a few times ,your one of the lucky ones rcmp figures its the locals crack heads trying to make a quick buck

If anyone tried this on me, I'd start off by putting a shot or two through their engine block to keep them there while I come to "talk" to them

10-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Fully insured against anything that could happen.
I leave my truck out of the way of anyone else and dont worry about it.

Allsort of tough guy comments out there but the bottom line is i dont want to kill anyone or maim them and i dont want the same to happen to me. Im insured up the hoop and spending the money on the deductable is better than being tough.

Surrey Boy
10-27-2010, 03:10 PM
May long weekend 2009 my 1989 Ford Festiva parked on a wide spot of Harrison West FSR got shot up just south of Tipella, not a window, light, mirror, tire left intact - looked like it ran an Iraqi checkpoint. I hitched a ride into Chehalis and called a friend from there. The car was $350 and nothing was actually stolen, so it wasn't a huge financial loss, but it's stuck in my mind and affects how I make decisions now.

ruger#1
10-27-2010, 03:13 PM
drive on top of your ramps!! works great. leave nothing of value in your vehicle and buy insurance, what else can you do. I did this and some jerk stole them. I could see the inprint of a jackall in the dirt. I hide mine in the bush from now on.

lightmag
10-27-2010, 03:45 PM
if the quad stays in camp or i get off to walk i park it way back in the bushes where no one can see it!

.330 Dakota
10-27-2010, 04:13 PM
It would be an awesome joke to bait someone. Leave ur truck like you normally would and take up position 200 yards away. In sight. Wait for someone to try take something and then send a 30-06 bullet skidding through the gravel between their feet. U'd prolly get in shit for doing it, but the guy would never, ever try it again

learn to shoot better, no witnesses LOL

ruger#1
10-27-2010, 04:18 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/gate.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14809&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=699)

cainer
10-27-2010, 06:33 PM
if the quad stays in camp or i get off to walk i park it way back in the bushes where no one can see it!

ditto-i park mine out of sight. if they're going to hijack it, they're going to work for it. i always say to myself when i park my quad-if they can steal it-they deserve it :-o

Timber-hunt
10-28-2010, 06:41 AM
If anyone tried this on me, I'd start off by putting a shot or two through their engine block to keep them there while I come to "talk" to them

lol---like what you said Oldschoolguy

frenchbar
10-28-2010, 06:50 AM
I park my jeep in all sorts of spots on the local roads around home...never lock it up...if they the thieves want in they could get in in a heart beat..ive never had anybody screw with my vehicles ever...most locals know me and what im capable of if i caught them in the act :mrgreen:

west250
10-28-2010, 07:09 AM
I park my truck wherever is most practical for me, leaving nothing in sight of value. Then I put a bullet on the dash thinking that should deter the more intelligent thieves. The less intelligent get buried somewhere close by where the ground's soft for digging!

Fishhound
10-28-2010, 07:10 AM
Do what you can to protect whats yours, hide your truck if you cani if you don't need something leave it at home.

But remember your wife and kids will have a hard time understanding why you are going to jail and the scum bag thieves are free to steal from someone else.
These are low life scum bags don't lower youself to their level, call the RCMP that is their job.

The harder you work, the more luck you have