PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Data?

pickaspot
10-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Hi guys,

I am doing a final project in an upper division GIS course (Geographic Information Science) and as a die hard hunter would love to base it on some kind of hunting theme. With the heated Resident vs. G.O. battle I think it would be interesting and informative to create a map illustrating harvest statistics in various areas. Before I dive right in I need to figure out the nature of the data (if it even exists). I figured somebody on here may have an answer.

So, is there accessible data on Sheep harvests-ether Non-resident, resident or both (any or all species)? Ive seen figures on here before but is there any that are spatially referenced (i.e. broken down by area or associated with a location )? Where would be a good place to start looking? MOE?

Any ideas, tips or other cool hunting related project ideas that you guys would like to see done and know of good data sources?

Thanks for your help and hopefully I can come up with an awesome finished project that I'm sure hunters would find interesting.:-D

10-26-2010, 08:56 PM
The numbers are easy to get, the locations are considered highly confidential by MOE.

Gilmore
10-26-2010, 09:15 PM
I think the easiest way for this to work is everyone that has harvested a 10+ year old ram in the past 25 years post up a picture and a gps co-ordinate. Or just PM them to me, I can crunch the data and forward it onto pickaspot, would be much more confidential that way.:-D

BCrams
10-26-2010, 09:20 PM
IF ... and a big IF (and most likely NOT) you could get the data .... .... MOE have rough GPS coordinates on CI forms for all rams killed by resident and non resident sheep. Whether accurate or not, you could compile all the data from the last 10-20 years and plot them as plot data over laying maps and you'll definatly get a density pattern typically where rams are taken. Juicy thought eh.

kootenayelkslayer
10-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Might be pretty tough to find that information.

I like the way you think though: using school projects to benefit your hunting career. I did my final GIS project on seasonal elk ranges in the West Kootenays ;)
If you can't find the harvest data, you should be able to find lots of literature on winter/summer range of pretty much any ungulate in BC. You could do your project on that information, using slope, aspect, forest type etc. to select for the animal's range. Let us know what you find :D

Gun Dog
10-26-2010, 09:41 PM
The harvest stats by MU are available if you e-mail FishandWildlife@gov.bc.ca. The data goes back to 1976 (for sheep anyway).

boxhitch
10-26-2010, 10:15 PM
There is some info that is best left unpublished.

The ministry is careful about releasing sensitive data.

GoatGuy
10-27-2010, 04:32 AM
Need a direct or research contract to get information on harvest locations.