PDA

View Full Version : 7A/7B Deer tags?

lightmag
10-26-2010, 12:09 PM
provincial bag limit is 3 combined. 7A is 1 only muley, 7B is 1 only muley. Question, I take a Muley buck in 7A, punch my tag as MU 7, i go north and take another Muley, punch my tag as MU 7. So how does a CO know you took one in 7A and one in 7B?? you don't indicate it on your tag?? seems it's your word against his? or am i missing something??

i was under the impression if i took a muley buck locally i couldn't take one up north in 7B, but now i believe i can take a buck here, then go to 7B and take another Muley buck and a whitey Buck!

correct me if i'm wrong.

thanks

ape
10-26-2010, 12:21 PM
you are right

mxracer328
10-26-2010, 12:26 PM
since i havent cut a tag yet this year i forget, but dont you cut what MU it came from?

KodiakHntr
10-26-2010, 12:27 PM
I was under the impression that you are incorrect.

7a is 7b is 7.....

However, I'm interested to see how this plays out.

lightmag
10-26-2010, 12:28 PM
you are right

so it's my word against a CO"s that i took a mule buck in 7A and 7B? seems odd, there should be away to mark your tag as 7A or B? so if i'm driving home from 7B and have a buck in the truck and i'm now in 7A coming home and i have two tags punched for Mule deer MU 7, who's to say the CO has to believe me? maybe i took 2 in 7A? seems a little scary, i would never poach or try to do this but i'm sure there are some that would.

KodiakHntr
10-26-2010, 12:28 PM
since i havent cut a tag yet this year i forget, but dont you cut what MU it came from?

Nope, just the region, 1 through 7.

lightmag
10-26-2010, 12:29 PM
I was under the impression that you are incorrect.

7a is 7b is 7.....

However, I'm interested to see how this plays out.

both 7A regs and 7B regs specifically say 1 mule deer only in their MU?? no where does it say only 1 Mule deer total in 7A and 7B combined, really confusing.

todbartell
10-26-2010, 12:30 PM
from regs

4Deer: The bag limit for mule (blacktailed)
deer in Region 7A is one. The
bag limit for white-tailed deer in
Region 7A is two, only one of which may
be a buck, and one of which may be antlerless.

&

4Deer: The combined bag limit for deer
in Region 7B is two. The bag limit for
mule (black-tailed) deer is one. The bag
limit for white-tailed deer is two, only
one of which may be a buck, and one of
which may be antlerless.

lightmag
10-26-2010, 12:31 PM
from regs

4Deer: The bag limit for mule (blacktailed)
deer in Region 7A is one. The
bag limit for white-tailed deer in
Region 7A is two, only one of which may
be a buck, and one of which may be antlerless.

&

4Deer: The combined bag limit for deer
in Region 7B is two. The bag limit for
mule (black-tailed) deer is one. The bag
limit for white-tailed deer is two, only
one of which may be a buck, and one of
which may be antlerless.

Soooo, 1 mule buck in 7A and one in 7B right??

KodiakHntr
10-26-2010, 12:31 PM
I always thought that they were a combined region, and there used to be a written justification for it somewhere in the regs years ago, but I could be mistaken on that.

Otherwise, one of them would be called region 9......

lightmag
10-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah...

I always thought that they were a combined region, and there used to be a written justification for it somewhere in the regs years ago, but I could be mistaken on that.

Otherwise, one of them would be called region 9......

nothing in the regs combining 7a and 7b, i'm scrutinized them many times

KodiakHntr
10-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Other than they share the number 7..........

Which would go back to the point, that if they were seperate regions why not call them 7 and 9 in the first place?

KodiakHntr
10-26-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm surprised that this topic hasn't come up before though, I'd be shocked if you were the first person to ask the question.

lightmag
10-26-2010, 12:38 PM
nobody seems to know the answer, lol

boxhitch
10-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm surprised that this topic hasn't come up before though, I'd be shocked if you were the first person to ask the question.Its only a matter of time before every possible scenario comes up on a site like HBC. There hasn't been a forum in place prior.
Most hunters probably don't ask 'what if,,,,' , they do what they feel is right and hope it all washes out ok.....or that they don't get checked

Wonder how many hunter survey cards go back with deer punched in 7a and 7b ?

lightmag
10-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Its only a matter of time before every possible scenario comes up on a site like HBC. There hasn't been a forum in place prior.
Most hunters probably don't ask 'what if,,,,' , they do what they feel is right and hope it all washes out ok.....or that they don't get checked

so you saying you DON"T think you can take 1 in each a AND b???

KodiakHntr
10-26-2010, 12:51 PM

I bet very very few...OR, a bunch, and the MOE figures there isn't the need for clarification.

todbartell
10-26-2010, 12:53 PM
the way I read it, you can shoot one in each region (A&B) but not go over your 3 deer provincial limit.

lightmag
10-26-2010, 12:57 PM
the way I read it, you can shoot one in each region (A&B) but not go over your 3 deer provincial limit.

as i thought, but can anybody CONFIRM IT???

todbartell
10-26-2010, 01:02 PM
there is phone # for CO's in the hunting regs on the first page of each region

or we can ask Tombstone, he knows the regs

blackwater
10-26-2010, 01:10 PM
as i thought, but can anybody CONFIRM IT???

Good grief!!! Phone the frickin MOE and stop asking the INTERNET!!!

What are you going to do...tally up the yes and no's and go with the one that comes out the highest? Make it easy...phone those that enforce the regulations.

lightmag
10-26-2010, 01:16 PM

What are you going to do...tally up the yes and no's and go with the one that comes out the highest? Make it easy...phone those that enforce the regulations.

for your info i HAD and was WAITING for them to call back!! kinds thought that's what this site was for but guess you have different thoughts, i'll disregard you lame response and and your wealth of help:mrgreen:

mxracer328
10-26-2010, 01:26 PM

this issue is probably something that alot of people hunting in 7A and 7B might encounter and never would have thought of. the more people reading it and discussing it here could cause less issues in the future.

lightmag
10-26-2010, 01:31 PM
see my new thread for answer

todbartell
10-26-2010, 01:44 PM
which can be found here

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57541

BCrams
10-26-2010, 03:30 PM
so it's my word against a CO"s that i took a mule buck in 7A and 7B? seems odd, there should be away to mark your tag as 7A or B? so if i'm driving home from 7B and have a buck in the truck and i'm now in 7A coming home and i have two tags punched for Mule deer MU 7, who's to say the CO has to believe me? maybe i took 2 in 7A? seems a little scary, i would never poach or try to do this but i'm sure there are some that would.

You are correct in this assumption that hunters will try to do that and get away with things. Including going up in consecutive years to hunt mule deer under the old 1 in 2 regulation.

There was a road block a couple years ago set up at the entrance to the Pine Pass to deal with this and believe me, plenty were caught and plenty were red flagged. There's no room for bullshit when hunting.

Hunting is as such that people shouldn't have to or need to be bending the rules.

They have been telling me the same thing regarding the punching of tags to differentiate between Reg 7a and Reg 7b for years.

Person goes up to the Peace and doesn't get checked by CO's and makes it back to PG without being checked then goes up a 2nd time to shoot another one. I am sure it happens.

One thing hunters also don't realize is that even if you did not get checked per se, there's a very good chance your licence plate has been recorded by CO's :wink:

jml11
10-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Person goes up to the Peace and doesn't get checked by CO's and makes it back to PG without being checked then goes up a 2nd time to shoot another one. I am sure it happens.

And Vice Versa here...once my mulie shot locally is hanging at home how does anyone know I didn't get in the Peace....:-?. If I say it was and no one can prove it I can go and shoot another mulie here with a new tag...it's a major deficiency on the licences that needs to be adressed, it only takes one extra 'slice' to make a 7a and 7b portion...I am amazed it has not been corrected yet as clipping tags for other regions is probably the second most common infraction behind hunting on someone elses tags...

7A and 7b have such different seasons I don't get why it wasn't automatic that they are treated as seperate regions on the licence. Similar scenarios with deer can be applied to Moose and Elk as well...may be hard for some to believe but I would not be surprised to hear of guys shooting 3 point or cow elk here or a 10-point/tri-palm moose in 7A and say it was shot in 7b...escpecially in some of the MUs bordering 7B...actually come to think of it I did hear of such a situation involving a moose 6 or 7 years ago...

lightmag
10-26-2010, 04:59 PM
something needs to change and the guy at MOE today agreed, but as i know, things in government move slow!!

blackwater
10-26-2010, 08:36 PM
for your info i HAD and was WAITING for them to call back!! kinds thought that's what this site was for but guess you have different thoughts, i'll disregard you lame response and and your wealth of help:mrgreen:

Guess my response wasn't so lame after all? You did/had called the CO and should have said that in the first place. As for my help, it was the correct response based on your question.

How many of these posts have you seen with completely different answers every time...that is and was the point of my rant. You are one of the rare ones that actually called and found out the answer. Good on you man. Sadly, more than a few will listen to the internet, the hunting buddy, the sports store, etc for their legal advise.

Reading the regs I would have said one in each A/B, but hadn't even thought about there being only a Region 7 slot to punch. A good question all the same.

ThinAir
10-26-2010, 09:00 PM
The lack of a 7b section on the lic has been overdue for years. The fact that you have really 2 different regions with very different seasons and only 1 spot to cut is absolutely ridiculous. It is a joke.

pinestar
10-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Here is a link for the guide outfitter section of the government web site. The peace is region 9

http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/cis/psupport/env_maps/goa.html

jml11
10-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Here is a link for the guide outfitter section of the government web site. The peace is region 9

http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/cis/psupport/env_maps/goa.html

Certain individuals and sections of the MoE have refered to the Peace as Region 9 for a few years now, but I am not sure why it hasn't been streamlined yet.

The Peace is managed as it's own Region and has been for years. 7A and 7B have seperate head bio's that dictate hunting seasons/management, much like all the other regions have one head bio.

boxhitch
10-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Can only guess that maybe there was a problem with changing the split of the province into '8 regions' ? something of a hurdle for changing the wording ? Not everything can be corrected with white-out alone.
I looked at the Wildlife Act but regions are not specifically named there.