PDA

View Full Version : Bow

BCLongshot
10-25-2010, 03:46 PM
I know this is a broad question but I'd like your help.

Going to start bow hunting, looking and researching on what bow to purchase. I'm going to participate in 3-D competitions.

Experienced hunter.

I do go to Portland, Or. to see my daughter and son/law so I can snag 1 down there if it's a good idea.

Let'er fly. Thanks in advance. :wink:

islandboy
10-25-2010, 04:37 PM
IBEP course - you will meet other beginner bow-hunters and get a feel for the limitations of this side of the sport.

Try to get out and shoot a few different bows - local archery clubs are usually a good place to do that. Most members are willing to share their knowledge if not their equipment.

Mountain Man
10-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Stay away from box stores.

markt308
10-25-2010, 04:44 PM
as far as makes to look at: Hoyt and Matthews are top of the line but of course you pay for it. PSE also makes a solid bow but bang for buck seams like one of the up and commers is Bear Archery. Nice thing about shopping in the states at Cabelas is you can often shoot the bow in store. kinda cool. good luck

Stéphane
10-25-2010, 05:38 PM
I know this is a broad question but I'd like your help.

Going to start bow hunting, looking and researching on what bow to purchase. I'm going to participate in 3-D competitions.

Experienced hunter.

I do go to Portland, Or. to see my daughter and son/law so I can snag 1 down there if it's a good idea.

Let'er fly. Thanks in advance. :wink:
Hi,

I am fairly new to archery too and the best thing that happened to me was to find someone I could trust. The advice of staying away from big box store is 100% supported by me as well. Since you're in Abby, may I suggest that you join the Abbotsford Fish and Game Club. There, you'll find archers with much more experience than me. I'm sure that some of them will be more than happy to let you try their bow.

As for buying a bow in the States, I hope you're saving a lot, because being a beginner like me, you might want to have a trusty source to tune your bow, get the right arrows etc etc. Always nice to encourage the small guy in town. My guy is extremely knowledgeable, and his prices are spot on. Doesn't matter what I buy, I always check the prices online and he's always competitive. For example, I searched all over and to come up with a saving of only $50 for the bow I want, I didn't think it was worth it to buy it across the border. Don't get me wrong, if you know what you're doing and you're very knowledgeable, then go ahead and save yourself some $.

His name is Wayne Meyers - Big Game Archery.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the archery side.

SG

BCLongshot
10-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Ya I am going to see Wayne for sure at Big Game Archery and will be switching my membership to Abbotsford F/G Club. Also going to take the IBEP course.

Not much of a consumer at the big box stores but do check out stuff there.

Appreciate the advice from the members.

sugar
10-25-2010, 07:03 PM
I hate to send business south of the line but I got my Hoyt Vantage Pro at a little shop in Puyallup for just over half of what the local guys wanted (saved $700 all in). He sets you up and gives you a lesson for free as well.

That said, I was lucky enough to have a great local guy who was available for trouble shooting/ coaching. There is a value in that for sure.

Ruger4
10-25-2010, 07:08 PM
welcome bow hunter !!!
your going to love it , both hunting and 3D !!

The Hermit
10-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Check out the Limbsaver line too. High quality without the big name/rep and price!

Advice... don't go buying a heavy draw weight bow to start... you aren't likely to ever need more than 60lb at 28" draw length.

Franko Manini
10-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Buy the longest axle to axle length bow that will fit your needs (if you're looking for a compound bow that is...). The longer a bow is, the more forgiving it will be and the more consistent your results will be. If you're doing nothing but hunting from a treestand, a shorter bow might be better for that, but it will be more difficult to shoot.

Compound bows let you shoot higher draw weights, but they can also induce bad habits. A longbow is harder to shoot, but will help you develop good form. A great choice is a recurve bow. They are easier to shoot than longbows, you can bling them out with sights, stabilizers, etc., they are relatively inexpensive, and they will provide you with a good foundation to learn from.

F

greybark
10-25-2010, 09:41 PM
:-D Hey BCLongshot , If you can hold off till the Abbotsford Indoor 3-d . Dealers are there as well as every kind of bow . Walk in amongst the targets with the "squads " and talk to the many friendlies .
Look me up with the appropriate hat .
Cheers

downsouth204
10-26-2010, 04:25 AM
Check out a website called archerytalk.com, lots of good info there! Get a bow that shoots 320 to 340 ft per second, 31 to 35 inch axel to axel. That'll give you flat trajectory and cover hunting and target archery for you. As was mentioned here a longer bow is a bit more stable to hold at draw. Biggest thing is to get your setup tuned well, practice like crazy and have fun!

islandboy
10-26-2010, 05:23 AM
Your post, BCLongshot, does not indicate whether you are looking for additional challenge, a more traditional way of hunting, or you want to extend your season with archery.

I have hunted with rifle and compound bows, but now use a recurve for the simplicity of it. Here is a site for the traditional archer (http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi).

The Hermit
10-26-2010, 01:27 PM
:-D Hey BCLongshot , If you can hold off till the Abbotsford Indoor 3-d . Dealers are there as well as every kind of bow . Walk in amongst the targets with the "squads " and talk to the many friendlies .
Look me up with the appropriate hat .
Cheers

Greybark - when is the Abby Indoor 3-D?

greybark
10-26-2010, 09:30 PM
:-D Hey Hermit , sorry for the delay . I just confirmed the Abby Indoor 3-D event will be held the second weekend in Jan . Jan 8 and 9th .
Cheers

BCLongshot
10-28-2010, 05:44 PM
:-D Hey Hermit , sorry for the delay . I just confirmed the Abby Indoor 3-D event will be held the second weekend in Jan . Jan 8 and 9th .
Cheers

Damn it I'll be down in the U.S. that week ! :(

Bow Walker
10-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Check out some of the archery retailers while you're down there, longshot. At the very least you'll get to handle and/or shoot a few different models. It'll make you a more informed buyer when the time comes to do a deal.

BCLongshot
05-29-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanx for all the help.

I did get a bow and I'm hooked !

Bow Walker
05-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Give us the details on your purchase. Brand, setup, attachments, and stuff like that.

Wayne @ Big Game will be your got-to source for guidance and accessories.

xtremearchery
05-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Big Game Archery hands down the best archery shop in BC! over 30 yrs of experience serving archers both beginner and advanced. After you have a coffee with Wayne, he'll match your needs and wants with the best solution for you. You'll never get that type of service from a big box store. check em out! www.biggamearchery.com or 604-859-2086. Tell em Mark sent you! You'll be glad you did.

MP

Bow Walker
05-30-2011, 11:53 AM
That one bear hunting video is great. But when I clicked on the "videos" link and watched that other bear hunting video - the one where we got to watch the other mountain range most of the time - I was really disappointed.

Looked to be way to far for a decent bow shot and for any chance of a quick kill. It took three arrows (that I saw) to down the bear.

Either the shooter was not very good or he should have waited for a closer opportunity. OR, he should've let the bear walk. I wonder what the distance was? It was at a pretty steep downhill angle too.

Not pointing fingers, just saying. I wasn't there and therefore can only comment on what is presented in the video.

Riverbc
05-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanx for all the help.

I did get a bow and I'm hooked !
If you're shooting your bow and Abbotsford Fish and Game..I'm sure we'll run into each other. I'm out there pretty much every day, in the afternoon. It's a lot of fun!!!

xtremearchery
06-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Hope to see ya at the AFGC Riverbc.
mp

Big Lew
06-02-2011, 05:19 PM
x3! on the advice to check out Wayne, at Big Game Archery.....just bought a PSE Dream Season EMO from him which he completely set up for my body and shooting style, and he will continue to help me fine-tune it. He was a great help in selecting all the various trappings needed to make for a complete, accurate shooting machine.

Riverbc
06-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Hope to see ya at the AFGC Riverbc.
mp

You bet! :D

THE BEAST
06-03-2011, 11:09 AM
from my experience hoyts are the best for your money .if you are going to get a hoyt look for a hoyt altra teck or the corbin matrix

Bow Walker
06-03-2011, 04:06 PM
In another thread you stated "Elites all the way".....