PDA

View Full Version : Where's all the moose at? 7-16

Fishyy21
10-25-2010, 11:51 AM
We had group of 6 go on a trip for about 12 days. we were hunting area 7-16. We had 4 draws for moose cow or calf. There was a lot of sign, lots of moose sign, deer, bear, & cougar. But the only thing we found with 4 legs were beavers... there was a lot of grouse mind you. We were close to our limit for them. did anyone else have any succsess in this area? We were talking to a local logger and he was saying that the locals were hunting about 2 weeks prior to opening day.... :evil: any thoughts?

BCrams
10-25-2010, 11:55 AM
The "locals" have nothing to do with it. There's lots of moose in 7-16.

You just have to chalk it up as a fun hunt which was unsuccessful. It happens and LEH draws are never a guarantee you will get a moose.

Big7
10-25-2010, 12:03 PM
You would think with that many guys for that many days that you could have managed to get a couple!? As BCrams said, that's why it's called hunting not harvesting. Hope you had a good hunt regardless, hopefully better luck next time.

Fishyy21
10-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Ya we had a blast. Just no luck.

winchester284
10-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Just got back from 7-16 with a cow, immy and a calf for our group of 3. Saw a couple other cows and a bull.

tinhorse
10-25-2010, 12:20 PM
7-12A was great this year for my group. we went 3 for 3 in our group. we got 2 bulls with our draw and a calf. I had friends in 7-16 and they got their 2 bulls early in the rut and saw numerous other moose as well. Maybe bad timing on your part.

lightmag
10-25-2010, 01:25 PM
my buddy and his group did great, filled 3 leh bulls, 45-51" ers and saw 4 more bulls and a cow and calf? mind you they were NOT on the roads but rather hiking into lake/swamps and calling.

Tenacious Billy
10-25-2010, 01:33 PM
We had group of 6 go on a trip for about 12 days. we were hunting area 7-16. We had 4 draws for moose cow or calf. There was a lot of sign, lots of moose sign, deer, bear, & cougar. But the only thing we found with 4 legs were beavers... there was a lot of grouse mind you. We were close to our limit for them. did anyone else have any succsess in this area? We were talking to a local logger and he was saying that the locals were hunting about 2 weeks prior to opening day.... :evil: any thoughts?

Like everyone else has said, there's lots of moose in 7-16.....me thinks you were looking in the wrong spots or just had shit house luck. Not sure what is to be inferred from the 'locals' comment, but keep in mind the amount of hunting pressure that accompanies calf season. Better luck next time! :-D

jml11
10-25-2010, 07:07 PM
too bad about the hunt up there. The LEH seasons in 7-16 open August 15th so there has been pressure for 2 months already come mid october. 7-16 is quite greened up now with very little logging activity in the past 5 years. With so much timber and good habitat as a result, the moose need to be hunted a bit differently than other heavily logged areas.

mind you they were NOT on the roads but rather hiking into lake/swamps and calling.

I couldn't find moose at all this year during the calf season after 5 days out, finally decided to hit up a lake one afternoon with a large wetland on the end...5 minutes later I had a calf down...the interesting thing was that there was ZERO sign in the blocks around the lake and wetland. The other moose I saw this year were all along lakes and wetlands...couldn't find them in blocks...

mark
10-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Nothing wrong with lots of beaver! :smile:

lightmag
10-25-2010, 07:30 PM
too bad about the hunt up there. The LEH seasons in 7-16 open August 15th so there has been pressure for 2 months already come mid october. 7-16 is quite greened up now with very little logging activity in the past 5 years. With so much timber and good habitat as a result, the moose need to be hunted a bit differently than other heavily logged areas.

I couldn't find moose at all this year during the calf season after 5 days out, finally decided to hit up a lake one afternoon with a large wetland on the end...5 minutes later I had a calf down...the interesting thing was that there was ZERO sign in the blocks around the lake and wetland. The other moose I saw this year were all along lakes and wetlands...couldn't find them in blocks...

very dry spring and summer, less food awat from wet lands and lakes, every single moose i saw this year, 20+ where within 1km of water

Fishyy21
10-26-2010, 12:20 PM
haha well at least some ppl had good luck. we ran into about 5 other groups while we there. only one had luck. he had a nice big bull. other than that everyone else we talked to had shitty luck just like us and went home skunked. but we usually go and scout the area before we go for a hunt and we didnt do that this time. so it took us a few days to get used to the area. but ya i probably shouldnt have mentioned what the logger said about the locals. we stayed at bear lake and the locals were verey helpfully and full of tips. Sorry if i stirred the pot about that comment. & the weather wasn't helping us either. we're gona go for a couple deer in a week or so to a familiar area so hopefully we get better luck.

Happy Huntin.