PDA

View Full Version : Little geese are a-holes!

lorneparker1
10-24-2010, 08:50 PM
303 and myself were at it again. 50km winds and POURING rain, soaked to the skibbies before legal! We had a field lined up with a few hundred little geese, 20 or so snows some honkers and some ducks. On the way out we jumped 50+ ducks off some sheet water, and we made the decision to focus on geese this morning and come back for the ducks in the pm. Well it wasnt long and the snows were messing around, landed a 150 or so yards in the corner of hte field with out giving us a look. Then the lessers, (#*()%*@ i hate these birds. Circle circle circle, flare, circle, land 100 yards. THis went on most of the morning, as we passed on duck after duck after duck. We did manage to fool a few and finshed one short (due some crap shooting) with 5 little guys and 4 MONSTERS, and 2 ducks we couldnt resist. We didnt shoot into any big flocks and just picked off the smaller groups and a few trailers off the back of the big groups. SO the birds are none smarter IMO. Quick shower, nap and back at er.

In the pm, we set up a few robos and 6 floaters in a a little puddle and hammered them. Mallards, teal, pintails, widgeons, and even a BOOTLIP. aka spoonbill, aka shoveler. Finshed off our limit with 10 or so minutes to spare and headed home. Great day a field. final tally 16 ducks 9 geese.

303 with the morning bag (look at the 4 on he left, also notice the soaking wet hunter)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u279/LorneP/Oct2420101.jpg

Whole Schbang
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u279/LorneP/Oct242010.jpg

Spooner
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u279/LorneP/Oct2420102.jpg

Crazy_Farmer
10-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Nice job Lorne. Love the Hollywood duck. And to think all those Midwest and eastern boys always laugh when they hear west coast birds are smarter.... Our little geese are like wary ducks is the best way I've heard a Midwest guy put it after hunting them for the first time in Wa.

field marshal
10-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Nice going guys:-D
Great bag!! Not going to worry about you guys now:mrgreen:
I'm concentrating on deer for a couple of weeks.
Good hunting, Field Marshal.

Spy
10-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Looks like a great day out & a good bag of birds.:mrgreen:
Did you guys skin them or pluck them?:wink:
You must have had some challenging targets with this wind.
Well done.

lorneparker1
10-24-2010, 09:05 PM
2 things worth mentioning!

1. the snows were in the field when we got back in the pm and we crawled them fora hundered yards and well....

2. I Backed over the stock of my gun (nice crack/hole in the synthetic) in the morning, afte getting side tracked and forgetting it on the ground. some lady stopped on the side of the road to ask us if we were doing an experiement with all the geese that were in the bags. These were my decoys, and we were soaked to the bone covered in mud and camo. I love citiots!.

Yah you can sleep now Tony! :P

Dano
10-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Looks like you guys had a great day. Nice pictures!
Dan

303Brit
10-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Ya, it was a good day! The afternoon was substantially more comfortable than the morning. That aside the shooting was interesting in the morning ;)
But I will say after the calibrated vehicle alignment that the truck did to Lorne 870 he shooting greatly improved :tongue:
All in all a good day for all except the birds that came within 30yds of us ;)

lp270win
10-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Not a bad shoot at all for the dyke. Got permission there once and had some guy walk right through our set up. That was my first and last time there. I've been spoiled with spots I've shot ducks and geese in the valley for the last 10 years.

303Brit
10-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Not a bad shoot at all for the dyke. Got permission there once and had some guy walk right through our set up. That was my first and last time there. I've been spoiled with spots I've shot ducks and geese in the valley for the last 10 years.

Ya seen some pretty crazy chit down there for stuff like that. But with the new ownership I think that has come to a rather swift end. So far this year Lorne and I are the only ones I've seen in those fields. And Knopp owns Hurfords old land and I haven't seen anyone on it.

lp270win
10-24-2010, 10:36 PM
You guys look as avid as waterfowler as I am. PM me if you'd like to meet up and perhaps hunt sometime here in the valley.

lp270win
10-24-2010, 10:38 PM
I seen your MOJO's from the road today:wink:

303Brit
10-24-2010, 11:01 PM
In the morning or this afternoon???

nano
10-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Nice shooting, I was out in surrey on sunday and it was sunny. You gotta love this west coast weather.