PDA

View Full Version : Exercise

bckev
05-20-2006, 11:37 AM
I am curious about how many of you guys do a regular exercise routine to be in shape for hunting season. I walk an hour a day ( some exercise and a little pre-scouting combination), but I find as I am getting older it is harder to get into shape and harder to lose weight. I may have to work even harder and eat less. This getting old sucks.

moose hunter
05-20-2006, 12:31 PM
i take a walk or bikeride every morning and like to do weights 2 times a week

youngfellla
05-20-2006, 01:29 PM
I stay in pretty good shape all year round. If I'm going hunting in the mountains, I start training about 2 months before I go, using a loaded pack(50-60 lbs) and hike up Felix Mountain every day, which is right near my house. Also use the excercise bike 2x a day to get my legs in good shape for climbing.

bigwhiteys
05-20-2006, 01:53 PM
I also do as YoungFella has stated... I usually start by Bike Riding an hour or so a day up the hills around my house just because it's low impact and helps me lose weight.

After riding for a few weeks I then switch to hiking up Horth Hill (local hill) with my pack fully loaded for 3-5 days out in the mountains. It takes me about an hour or so to do this hike.

Last year I did this for my sheep hunt and was able to lose 20lbs. Even after all that I still wished I had done more excercise with a pack on.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Ronforca
05-20-2006, 04:52 PM
I do a bit of biking and a lot of walking all year around.Not just to keep in shape for hunting but to keep in shape period.It does not seem to do much for my Beer belly though.

moose hunter
05-20-2006, 05:46 PM
why hasnt gatehouse posted:D:D:D:D im sorry that wasnt nice

houndogger
05-21-2006, 01:10 PM
I generally run before work in the mornings 4 to 5 days a week. You got to keep the legs in shape to keep up to those dogs.

slyfox
05-21-2006, 01:48 PM
I drink beer and eat steaks thats my exercise and work in cement and play soccer.

ruger#1
05-21-2006, 01:48 PM
I just mowed the lawn with my lawn tractor, that keeps me in shape.

The 'Hummer'
05-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Go for a morning ride on my mountain bike 3 - 4 times / week(on the road), usually 30km / day. Helps keep, the cardio system in shape, blood sugar levels down and I'm also trying to mitigate the effects of about fourty years of smoking. Also it helps keep the post retirement weight in check.

youngfellla
05-21-2006, 04:47 PM
I drink beer and eat steaks thats my exercise and work in cement and play soccer.

Ha! Drinking beer can be a good arm workout, rasing the bottle to your mouth every few minutes. I like to drink 12 beers with my right hand and then switch to my left for another 12, and after that..... Hmmm.... Can't quite remember what I do after that.:mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
05-21-2006, 05:44 PM
A lot of guys ask this question. Seems the more hardcore the hunt, like for sheep etc or long backpack trips, the more intense the training has to be. I hit the gym 4-5 times a week (weights) and have been taking Muay Thai kickboxing private lessons for over a year now, twice a week. There is NO form of fitness or cardio that tops that. You'd be amazed what is required to even skip for 20 minutes. If a guy cant get out to do much else buy a skipping rope.

oldtimer
05-21-2006, 09:39 PM
I gained a lot of weight when I quit smoking and then the knee gave me trouble. since the Knee operation I go to the local gym 4 days a week and do cardio for 30 + min. then weights. One day for upper body and one day for lower. Told the trainer that got me going on this I wanted to lose 35 to 40 pounds and be able to hold my bow steady and walk the trails without getting winded. I also told him that under no circumstances would I give up beer !! He said why would you ?? to date lost 34 pounds and feel great and ready to hit the bush for hunting season. Mike

moose hunter
05-21-2006, 09:58 PM
not many of us exercise or what im confused

bcboy
05-23-2006, 07:13 PM
not many of us exercise or what im confused

Some of us have jobs..even after throwing rocks around all day I still do cardio.Hiking 3 times a week, already doing 6km fairly flat groung trails in 1hr 25 min with 55 lbs.

I still am freakin out as I leave July 29th for a fly in for sheep.:grin:

Husky7mm
05-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Old timer do you drink beer regularly?How much?

Adam.c
05-23-2006, 09:27 PM
well i play baseball and practise everyday no matter what. I just started a trianing thing my pitching coach set up with me is that I have to play long toss then do a 2 mile run then I get a day off and I keep doing this. I also do weights and go to the gym regularly with my good friends from baseball.

MRBucks
06-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Ha! Drinking beer can be a good arm workout, rasing the bottle to your mouth every few minutes. I like to drink 12 beers with my right hand and then switch to my left for another 12, and after that..... Hmmm.... Can't quite remember what I do after that.:mrgreen:

Good post! I had to laugh at that one..

Darn smilies don' work for me, otherwise I would have added a few..