PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 mule deer thoughts

watson721
10-24-2010, 07:56 PM
So me and my bud were hunting an area in region 3 and I headed off into game trail while my buddy was waiting with are quad, as he was just tagging along and doesn't have his hunting liscence yet. So while I was making my way through the bush a big 6x8 mulie casually walked across the road in front of him and disappeared into the timber on the other side and up the mountain. So I come back out about 10 mins later and my bud tells me what happened so I immediately head into the bush after him. I was able to follow his sign for about half a km until I lost track of him. Found alot of well used game trails off the one I was on and some nice bedding spots. So tomorrow is my last day to hunt and I am wondering how I should try and tackle goin after this buck tomorrow. I am a new hunter and not really sure what to do. Should I just sit and watch the game trail that I saw the buck on, should I go for abit of a hike and try some rattling? Any suggestion are appreciated. Oh and the place I wad just got it's first snowfall and probably got about 3-4 cm of it if that makes any difference.

Steelpulse
10-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Sounds like a buck worth chasing. Id say maybe try and find a big rub line which could be from him (by big I mean larger trees although not all big deer rub big trees little bucks generally don't rub big trees) sit on that all day dawn until dusk.
If the snows good for tracking find some big tracks near where you were and start walking obviously this is hit or miss if you can find some big tracks up around 4 inches long (this is not a sure way to tell if its a buck could be big doe) with tracks look for drag marks as well bucks tend to drag their feet where as does lift their feet. looking for big dew claw marks as well can be a good sign of some weight.
If the tracks are in sets some small ones some mid size ones i'd leave them alone most likely does fawns etc.
I'm not a fan of rattling but that's just me tons of people do it and it works for them.

I'd make the gamble track him down thats just my style though and has worked for me however has also not worked as well but this is why we hunt right because of the thrill we get thinking there might be a bruiser right over the next hill

Good luck hopefully send some pics our way

Caveman
10-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Give me the location and I'll find him for you! :wink:

ianwuzhere
10-24-2010, 08:30 PM
6x8 buck- id call in sick for the next week or longer and load up and header back to the last area you seen him...

deer nut
10-24-2010, 08:34 PM
ARGH! That always seems to happen - you see a big buck after you've cancelled yor tag or the guy without a tag sees it! Call in sick and give it the ol' college try. Good luck! Hope it snows!

boxhitch
10-24-2010, 08:37 PM
No partneers ? Tough to go it solo in the timber
Snow should stay overnight, follow some tracks but watch for bedding spots and try to see before been seen

What elevation did the snow drop to ?

watson721
10-24-2010, 08:41 PM
We were around 4500 ft when the snow hit us. Would be nice to stay for Tuesday to but gotta be back for and school cause I'm already takin tomorrow off

cainer
10-24-2010, 09:08 PM
i'd get into the area at dark tomorrow morning and hang off the trail you think he's going to be using. Hopefully you can remember the area a bit from today.
I'd only start tracking if I saw nothing for an hour to 2 after first light. The snow should help you choose which trails are being used right now as well.
No sleeping in!