PDA

View Full Version : Okanagan Mtn park whitetails

knockturnal
10-24-2010, 06:44 PM
So, i know there's mulies over there but has anyone hunted whitetails in it?

358mag
10-24-2010, 08:08 PM
All I can say is Good Luck few and far between You live in K-Town just head a little north+ east of the airport

knockturnal
10-24-2010, 08:14 PM
I've already got my whitetail hole. I'm just curious if anyone out there has pursued whiteys through there. I'm thinking it might be an overlooked area for them.

coach
10-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Areas don't stay overlooked very long when people start posting about them on the internet.

mark
10-24-2010, 08:30 PM
I've already got my whitetail hole. I'm just curious if anyone out there has pursued whiteys through there. I'm thinking it might be an overlooked area for them.

The odd one here and there, not where Id go for whitey action!

knockturnal
10-24-2010, 08:33 PM
So, I'm guessing you hunt it for whiteys. Haha. Just testing the waters. That's all.

coach
10-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Ha Ha - I don't, but I bet that if guys do, they probably don't want it talked about. It doesn't really look like whitetail country, anyway.

boxhitch
10-24-2010, 08:40 PM
South end near the ranches and vineyards couldn't be better WT country.
So I hear ;)

knockturnal
10-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Haha. It's funny when someone mentions the park. Usually gets some peoples blood pumping. All that I'm gonna say is this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/knockturnal/0f1b503d.jpg

Alpine85
10-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Haha. It's funny when someone mentions the park. Usually gets some peoples blood pumping. All that I'm gonna say is this:

IF you enjoy hunting whitetails, id head more south then that!!! Heres a weekend in the X-C Ski Area :-Dhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Alpine85/newshedsfeb006-1.jpg

blackbart
10-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Wow, that is a big freezer. Was it hard to find, or are there more like it in the x-c ski area? Obviously has been around for a few years as shown by the white colouration.

Just kidding, great bunch of sheds.

one-shot-wonder
10-24-2010, 09:41 PM

That looks like a "peachland" set of antlers......not black enough to be OK mt.

mark
10-24-2010, 10:08 PM
That looks like a "peachland" set of antlers......not black enough to be OK mt.

That rack looks way older than the burn itself anyways!

coach
10-24-2010, 10:24 PM
So do those wires running over the carpet..

Sangstercraft
10-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Wow, that is a big freezer. Was it hard to find, or are there more like it in the x-c ski area? Obviously has been around for a few years as shown by the white colouration.

Hehe, yeah I was gonna say, I almost never find freezers out there, and that one is a beauty.

Which x-c ski area are you talking about?

andrewheth
10-24-2010, 10:55 PM
So, i know there's mulies over there but has anyone hunted whitetails in it?

You know theres mulies in there?

Mountain Man
10-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Nock ! There is some great whities in there !! Dont let anyone tell u different !

.300WSMImpact!
10-25-2010, 06:30 AM
no deer, or elk in there, just people,

Ruger4
10-25-2010, 06:38 AM
Nock ! There is some great whities in there !! Dont let anyone tell u different !

just a tale without pics mountain mama ! :wink:

4pointer91
10-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Before the fire in '03 there were a couple good locations there but it will take years (if ever) to return to the same type of cover/foliage required by whitetail. If you've ever hiked through that area you'll have seen how extensive the blow down is ...good luck getting something out unless your by a road and btw there are no motorized vehicles allowed in the park. Much better places elsewhere IMHO.

knockturnal
10-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Before the fire in '03 there were a couple good locations there but it will take years (if ever) to return to the same type of cover/foliage required by whitetail. If you've ever hiked through that area you'll have seen how extensive the blow down is ...good luck getting something out unless your by a road and btw there are no motorized vehicles allowed in the park. Much better places elsewhere IMHO.

Thanks tips. Im sure that we all know there is no motorized vehicles allowed. Which is a good thing for those of us who like to put on our favorite boots and walk a few miles. I grew up hunting on the westside and i cant go anywhere anymore without running into someone. Since the start of september, iv hunted a solid 35 days and those days that i venture into the park are the only ones where i dont run into someone every 15 minutes. And even if i did run into someone, they wont be in a truck or on a quad. Which is fine by me.

snareman1234
10-25-2010, 11:10 AM
lol yea theres usually only 10 guys at every trailhead

knockturnal
10-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Don't go to a trailhead then!!

urbanhermit
10-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Very interesting thread for studying the human condition, there are probably 20-30 guys wishing this would go away quietly and about 200 thinking hhhhmmmmmmmm.

knockturnal
10-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Ha!!! You're telling me. My inbox is full of unhappy people.

GoatGuy
10-25-2010, 04:00 PM
A 4 pt white-tail in the Okanagan, now that there's impressive.

If you have any days where you're seeing a dozen bucks or better (good bucks) post it and we'll be sure to think about leaving our wt spots.

Good luck in November. :wink:

GoatGuy
10-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks tips. Im sure that we all know there is no motorized vehicles allowed. Which is a good thing for those of us who like to put on our favorite boots and walk a few miles. I grew up hunting on the westside and i cant go anywhere anymore without running into someone. Since the start of september, iv hunted a solid 35 days and those days that i venture into the park are the only ones where i dont run into someone every 15 minutes. And even if i did run into someone, they wont be in a truck or on a quad. Which is fine by me.

Funny I've hunted about a good month in Region 8 and 4, ran into two residents on a trail in the EK - that's it.

Hunted 8-12 and 8-14 a couple days the last week. Ran into moose, muleys, whitey's but no resident hunters. Haven't seen any 4 point whitey's though, only a couple 5+ points although we did find a few 4 pt sheds so I guess that's kinda similar.

Considering your past and all the complaining about guys shooting 2 pts here's a hint: If you don't want to see any hunters quit road hunting on your quad and hiking down the roads.

If you can't get away from the hunters on the westside you've wasted your entire 'hunting career' looking and hunting in all the wrong places. Hunting in an area with a 'motorized vehicle closure' won't change that - you'll still run into guys and not into wildlife.

boxhitch
10-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Ha!!! You're telling me. My inbox is full of unhappy people.x-c skiers can be vicious

dave_fras
10-26-2010, 05:58 AM
ive been hunting there for 3 years now!... and ive never seen this much pressure from hunters!...i really have to get my hike on now!... just to get farther and farther in there!... i hate running intho ppl after hiking for 2 and a half hours!... not worth my time!... i wont be goin to that area again

dino
10-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Don't go to a trailhead then!!
LOL! your awsome. You can always tell a good spot is where the locals say dont hunt there because it sucks.

knockturnal
10-26-2010, 11:14 AM
LOL! your awsome. You can always tell a good spot is where the locals say dont hunt there because it sucks.

Im jsut saying that you dont have to start at a trailhead. thats all

urbanhermit
10-26-2010, 11:47 AM
youre still alive? hahahahah

knockturnal
10-26-2010, 12:13 PM
It amazes me how many assholes are on this site.

urbanhermit
10-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Takin some flak are ya?

knockturnal
10-26-2010, 12:24 PM
I should change the name of the thread to " Don't hunt the park, there's no animals, to many snakes and not enough people".

dino
10-26-2010, 12:48 PM
I wasnt giving you a shot I totally see where your coming from and agree with you.

Mountain Man
10-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Its funny how everyone's dick seems to grow after telling stories of how far they hike !!

Just answer the poor guys question ! Lay off with the dick swinging contest !

The park has great hunting, the whities are in there, so are the elk, and big mule deer. These days we do need to work harder to hide from the pressure for sure. The rut is coming, good luck "Nock"

huntersam
10-26-2010, 08:53 PM
theres no deer in there not worth your time

watson721
10-26-2010, 08:58 PM
yea what sam said. not worth the hike really for whities

Fishhound
10-26-2010, 09:02 PM
In the last few years there have been a lot of deer, elk and moose taken out of the park, including whitetails,
Anyone saying differently on this forum only wants the place to themselves,
If you have satellite television (WILD TV) you can watch Shawn and Corey take a large Muley and Elk in the park on TV

GoatGuy
10-27-2010, 03:58 AM
It amazes me how many assholes are on this site.

There may be some people who share your point of view. Read through this, it should provide some insight as to why you think some people are "assholes". Let's review:

I grew up hunting on the westside and i cant go anywhere anymore without running into someone. Since the start of september, iv hunted a solid 35 days and those days that i venture into the park are the only ones where i dont run into someone every 15 minutes. And even if i did run into someone, they wont be in a truck or on a quad. Which is fine by me.

My dad and I were the first people on a dead end road Saturday morning. I look up and see a bachlror group of bucks running away. I jump off the quad.

Haha. I don't have high standards. I just don't know why people enjoy smashing a little spiker that is still suckin the tit. That's all

I believe one if the main problems is that no one practices quality deer managment. I know. I know. I sound like an American hunting show. But it works. I had the oppurtunity of being out in the bush a few days before any buck started. I was seeing upwards of 15 bucks every day. Almost all were under 4 points. On opening day, every truck that drove by my camp had a little dink buck in the back. I even watch a guy crank a little spiker. And when I say little. I mean little. It was a fawn with little nubs. I cringed and drove on. If more people passed up on the little ones, there would be more big boys around to hunt.

took a nice 3x3 mulie with the bow on september 7th

ive seen spikes on a whitetail that had to be well over 16". My dad actually missed it. I laughed. He swore. lol

Keep in mind the same people you're bagging on are the guys that are hunting the exact same way as you and are shooting at the same deer BUT they aren't complaining about you and the way you hunt. And you know what's even funnier is if you want more age in your bucks you let guys shoot yearling bucks (spikes/ 2 pts) so they don't shoot the young 2 and 3 year old 3 pts or 4 pts....... you know like the bucks that you shoot.

The only thing worse than somebody who says "everybody has to hike and shoot big bucks" is somebody who says "everybody has to hike and shoot big bucks, even though I'll ride the quad and shoot 3 pts". Do what I say, not what I do.

Don't worry, you aren't the only one on here with that complex. It's a disease I swear.

Jonas111
10-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Wow GoatGuy that is truly impressive. Remind me not to contradict myself on here.

I have heavily contemplated different styles of hunting and truly it came down to what i enjoy the most which is hiking and calling animals in. I am still practicing a lot and I probably don't see near as many animals but when i do it is way more exhilarating then driving on my quad or in my truck.

Even the little bucks get my heart pumping. That's what it is all about for me anyway. I just wish i was a little better at finding game.

Im heading to the park tonight. Good luck to all.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-27-2010, 09:02 AM
You would be NightOwl74,as well would you??
Similar stye of posts.

SSS

urbanhermit
10-27-2010, 09:06 AM
I have seen this sort of thing before, sperm retension headache, cant sleep..

BCrams
10-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Knockturnal - you got owned by a pretty impressive display of self contradiction there.

coach
10-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Very impressive, Goat Guy! Extremely well said.

GoatGuy
10-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Wow GoatGuy that is truly impressive. Remind me not to contradict myself on here.

I have heavily contemplated different styles of hunting and truly it came down to what i enjoy the most which is hiking and calling animals in. I am still practicing a lot and I probably don't see near as many animals but when i do it is way more exhilarating then driving on my quad or in my truck.

Even the little bucks get my heart pumping. That's what it is all about for me anyway. I just wish i was a little better at finding game.

Im heading to the park tonight. Good luck to all.

That's great and the way I enjoy hunting as well. I road hunted for a couple hours last weekend and was ready to rip the doors off the truck.

The way I see it is if I want to get up before daylight and put 15 kms behind me every morning that's my choice - I sure am not going to push that on every other hunter, nor am I gonna bag on them for filling their freezer.

Good luck.

watson721
10-27-2010, 05:16 PM
and yes very well said goat guy

knockturnal
10-28-2010, 06:01 PM
its nice to know that someone actually took the time to track down all my posts.

Alright, lets point out the obvious and get some things straight. I hunt from a quad. I hunt from a truck. I hunt from my boots. Ive shot dink bucks. Ive shot big bucks. Hell, ive even shot does! The so-called little 3x3 that i shot was with my bow. Im proud to say that i spot and stalked a mulie and shot it with a stick and string. i couldnt have cared if it was a spiker or a 200class mulie. If you wanna rag on me for doing so, have ater. I also shot a whitetail doe with a bow on the last day of the season. Ive passed up many dink bucks this year. I saw a cow moose yesterday. I drive a chevy and my birthday is on August 18th. Is there anything else that i can clear up for you?

I do what i do because thats how i do it. You can sit there all high and mighty on the other side of a computer screen and belittle me as much as you want. I asked a simple question expecting simple answers and all you guys out there that hunt the park got pissed because of it. If thats the case, how abotu you all stop posting pictures of the animals that you take out of there?

GoatGuy - Im sorry that i dont have the time to go through all of your posts to find some contradicting statements that youve made in the past. Im sure theres a few. Id be here for awhile (due to your post count) and im not that type of person. Look at the bright side, im sure you had a good night sleep after getting your internet rocks off on me

BCrams
10-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Knockturnal -

You still didn't get the message.

We're all happy to hear the variation of hunting methods you undertake.

Just don't preach or belittle others for their legal hunting methods or size of animals in which other hunters do and shoot. That was the point of highlighting your contradicting statements because it was obvious your hunting methods and animals you shot are just like the people you were belittling!!

knockturnal
10-28-2010, 07:24 PM
i dont even know why he quoted some of the stuff he did. Theres a story behind every one of them. Not that it matters. Everyone hunts differently and that is their choice. No one should be belittling anyone over their choice of hunting. i have nothing against people and how they hunt.from road hunting spikers to backpacking for record sheep. as long as they are hunting, its good in my books.

one-shot-wonder
10-28-2010, 07:44 PM
i dont even know why he quoted some of the stuff he did. Theres a story behind every one of them. Not that it matters. Everyone hunts differently and that is their choice. No one should be belittling anyone over their choice of hunting. i have nothing against people and how they hunt.from road hunting spikers to backpacking for record sheep. as long as they are hunting, its good in my books.

How is it good in your books:confused: You clearly belittle other hunters choices in shooting immature bucks.....in case you have forgotten refer to GG's post.

knockturnal
10-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Like I said. There's more to that post then just that. My arguing point for that was guys bitch about never shooting big bucks so they take little ones. There's nothing wrong with shooting dinks. But when they complain about not shooting big ones. I mean come on! What's a guy to say? You'll never hear me complain about a successful hunt. No matter what the outcome.

one-shot-wonder
10-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Like I said. There's more to that post then just that. My arguing point for that was guys bitch about never shooting big bucks so they take little ones. There's nothing wrong with shooting dinks. But when they complain about not shooting big ones. I mean come on! What's a guy to say? You'll never hear me complain about a successful hunt. No matter what the outcome.

Sometimes things are better left unsaid.

Good to hear you are content with a successful hunt. What about non successful hunts? Many guys I have hunted with over the years are missing the point about hunting and only recognize success with killing something and are only content with being successful when hunting.

knockturnal
10-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Haha. If that was the case, I'm sure there would be a lot of unhappy hunters out there. A successful hunt to me is just that. A hunt. I've put in many days in the bush this season with only one kill. Every time I'm out in the bush is a successful day in my eyes. I'm sure most people would agree.

one-shot-wonder
10-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Haha. If that was the case, I'm sure there would be a lot of unhappy hunters out there. A successful hunt to me is just that. A hunt. I've put in many days in the bush this season with only one kill. Every time I'm out in the bush is a successful day in my eyes. I'm sure most people would agree.

You are hopefully correct in stating most hunters would agree with you.....but I have hunted with guys like this in the past and they are basically the all or nothing type.

Not really what I would call "sportsman"

Good luck with finding those whiteatils.

knockturnal
10-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Haha. That's the funny thing. I already shot my whitetail a month ago.

Mountain Man
10-29-2010, 11:20 AM
A 188 whitey was shot this fall in the park ! No joke.