PDA

View Full Version : Forgot how fun duck and goose hunting is

Ddog
10-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Well i was all pumped up to finally get out and do some goose and duck hunting again, It just wasnt the same for me after moving here to the EK and my yellow lab being 12 was just to much for him to go. So i finally got the itch to go again after 7 yrs and his passing 3 yrs ago. and well did it bring back some memories, sure wish i had the old boy with me today.
i lost a couple of ducks today, crashed them in the bull rushes and did not realize that there was actually no bottom when i was trying to go and get them, lessoned learned after about 30 minutes of trying to find them, changed spots and found a place i could crash a few and get to them if they were in the right spot, hard to not shoot at the 20 or 30 ducks that flew well in range but would have not been retrievable without dog or boat.
Geese were flying in range as well but i managed to bite my tongue and watch them fly on by.
finally got into a spot where the birds were flying through and did pretty good.
i took 7 shots today and the best was the triple on a nice flock of geese.
all huge birds today. can hardly wait to get back at it again.
actually thinking on a new dog!! ( my wife smiled and said ok!)
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/IMG_3160.jpg

The Dawg
10-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Nice shootin daryl!

Marc
10-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Good going!

303Brit
10-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Nice work Ddog!

Blacktail
10-25-2010, 05:56 AM
fun aint it !!!!:mrgreen:

J_T
10-25-2010, 06:30 AM
Living in the EK, a guy almost doesn't have time to hunt birds. Just too much to do. Used to hunt the Creston flats a lot. Haven't hunted birds in some time.

Looks like a great day.

field marshal
10-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Nice going Ddog!!!:-D
Still cannot believe anybody would stop waterfowling???:confused:
Cheers, Field Marshal.

Ddog
10-25-2010, 10:12 AM
WELL, as J T said there almost isnt enough time to go for birds with all the big game around, and it wasnt the same without my ol yellow lab.
but i can tell you that i dusted off the decoys and grabbed my calls and will make the most of it for the next little while.
look out birds....

rocksteady
10-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Be vewy, vewy sneeky....:wink:

Ducks and geese are not dumb you know :mrgreen:

How come no Coots in the picture?? I heard they were good eatin??

Ddog
10-25-2010, 10:18 AM
i saved the coots for you,,they actually landed on the pond i was at and did their little dance all around it, not a care in the world. I think you could actually hit them Mike, but you may have to throw rocks at em to make em fly first;)

Van-Isle
10-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Nice haul. I always find it more fun when the mut is with me. Love the pumpkin in the backround btw.

rocksteady
10-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Love the pumpkin in the backround btw.

That's his bait !!!!

OR he hollows it out, puts it on his head and then sits in the pumpkin patch at Fort Steele Farms, with his decoys out, waiting for the ducks to come in !!!