PDA

View Full Version : bad smelling antlers

skeld11
10-23-2010, 11:27 AM
i shot my buck in youth season so he had velvet and i was planning on keeping the velvet on like i did my last years youth season buck but this year the velvet smelt really bad on the base of the antlers so i tried to wash them and air them out for a few weeks that did nothing so i dicided to take the velvet off and iv talked to a few people who have done this as well and they just stained it with wood stain later on and they came out great so thats what i'm going for but even without the velvet on the base of the antlers still smell bad. i was hopin for some pointers or advice i would apperciate it thanks!

Caretaker
10-23-2010, 11:35 AM
"BORAX" works to clean them up, and takes away the smell

Caretaker
10-23-2010, 11:37 AM
"BORAX" works to clean them up, and takes away the smell
You can pour it right out of the box on the base of your antlers and let them set for a few days,

Twobucks
10-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Different, but I had a similar problem with antelope horns (wow - do those EVER STINK!!).

I let them sit and dry for a couple weeks in baking soda then painted them with a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and turpentine. They look great, and no smell.

Antlers are less porous, so I don't know if it'll work for you, but worth checking out.

Good luck.

2b

skeld11
10-23-2010, 11:57 AM
alright thanks ill definatly try that stuff out