PDA

View Full Version : hunting food

bearheart
05-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Does anyone know of a source (Canadian) for MRE type meals for hunting use and stocking hunting cabin? Thanks!

bigwhiteys
05-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Hey Bearheart,

I have used Mountain House food but it's expensive. Like nearly $15 each but we got them in Fort St. John at backcountry.

I have done plenty of searching on eBay and there is plenty of sellers selling case lots of MRE's and other freeze dried meals the problem is getting it to Canada.

When you do find a good source please let us know. As I would like to bulk order some as well.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

youngfellla
05-19-2006, 09:07 AM
I buy all my freze-dried meals at Coast Mountain Sports. The stuff they sell is Backpackers Pantry, and is about $11.00 per bag, each bag serves 2.

bearheart
05-19-2006, 10:21 AM
To clarify. I am looking for bulk/case lots not individual meals. :smile:

3kills
05-19-2006, 11:19 AM
bearheart...if u go to a military surplus store they usually have them...i think surplus herby's in kamloops sells them....my gf's mom is involved in the cadets in merritt and i know they have them i can see if she knows where to get them for u...

Ian F.
05-19-2006, 11:58 AM
what 3k4 said and see if you can find a serviceman, you will also find out what to avoid!

I had a student in the reserves that would bring me some from time to time. There are also those self heater meals, not sure if you looked into them or not..

Very best,

ian

moose hunter
05-19-2006, 02:06 PM
beans,craft dinner,popcorn,oysters

Tarp Man
05-19-2006, 08:36 PM
You should look into special ordering from Mountain Equipment Co-op. ( www.mec.ca (http://www.mec.ca)) They are usually very good at accomodating large special orders. you will likely need to contact them over the phone.
-Tarp Man

bearheart
05-20-2006, 08:57 AM
I have been a member of Mountain Equipment co-op for about 30 years now.I try to avoid spending any significant money there now for several years as they are extremely anti-hunting. When I have some time I'll post some info on specifics, if you google them and grizzly hunting you should find out what I mean.:frown: , the frown is at them of course , not you my fellow hunter:wink:

Walksalot
05-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Guys, we have to be optomists for chripes sake, all we need to take are onions for the liver and salt and pepper for the steaks.:p

Fred
05-20-2006, 09:58 AM
If I handled a bow like you I could be more optomistic John! :biggrin: Fred

Walksalot
05-20-2006, 10:17 AM
If I handled a bow like you I could be more optomistic John! :biggrin: Fred

If I was to heed my own advice I would weigh a lot less.:eek:

Ian F.
05-21-2006, 03:48 AM
guy in Edmonton is selling them on the huntshoot site I was told about here..

http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/showthread.php?t=8411

Very best,

Ian