PDA

View Full Version : Meat Grinder advice

freonguy
10-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Calling on your opinions as to a decent meat grinder to purchase.

I can buy a ' cheapo - deluxe ' unit for $150.00 at a major sporting goods dealer in Vancouver, but, as I have learned, you get what you pay for. It looks like I will have to spend $300.00 to $400.00 - that is OK for a decent unit.

Not needing a commercial unit, it will be used to grind up one or two animals a year.

Opinions / feedback would be appreciated.

Freonguy

Bradana
10-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I have the 1hp Cabelas model. Arguably it is a little too much grinder for my one to two animals per year, but as with most tools/toys it's the ones I cheaped out on that I regret buying. Money well spent in my opinion (especially if you can get a buddy to partner on the purchase).

buck nash
10-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Mine's an old Spong That I picked up in value village for a couple bucks about ten years ago. It clamps on to your counter with a couple wing nuts. I've put hundreds of pounds of all sorts of meat through it without a problem.

If your just doing up the occasional deer, you don't need to drop hundreds of bucks on it.

One tip is to get the meat slighly frozen before you put it through.

Also I wouldn't get one from a sporting goods place cause everyone knows hunter like to drop lots of money on things they don't really need. They know it too. Thats why the charge a couple hundred for them when you can get one of similar quality for half the price elsewhere.

3kills
10-22-2010, 11:48 PM
i bought a warning pro from crappy tire a couple years back i cant remember how much it was but it was well worth the money. it has done probably bout 4 or 5 deer an elk and two moose so far.

Doe See Doe
10-23-2010, 06:23 AM
X2 On the Cabela's.
After killing a cheap grinder, we decided to go with a good one.
Got the 3/4 HP......way too much 'omph' then what we need, but I'd rather have too much power than not enough.
At the time, year and a half ago, the price was cheaper to order from Cabela's Canada than the US.

freonguy
10-23-2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the replies so far - will check out Cabelas - -

Freonguy

Steeleco
10-23-2010, 07:08 AM
Make sure you have a hands on first if at all possible. Some still use plastic gears to drive the auger, you just know they won't last!!
Mine is some Chinese import from Stuffer's here in Langley. Tough as nails.
Might actually be a little on the "too much" side, but I don't think I'll be needing another one anytime soon.

boxhitch
10-23-2010, 07:58 AM
One or two animals a year ?
I'll stick with my $100 hand grinder
Sometimes has a loose wingnut attached, but thats my fault.
No gears to break