PDA

View Full Version : Big dead buck found

mark
10-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Went for a long hike today, found a large wide muley buck dead.
Looks like it was shot 2 days ago! :(
Bullet hole right in the back of the neck, so I assume it dropped instantly!
The only thing I can figure is that whoever shot it, couldnt find it after.
I assume the shot was from a fair distance, the terrain was very rough, tons of blowdown, dog hair thick, waist deep pines.
I can easily understand how someone could of lost the location where the buck dropped as I didnt see it till I was nearly on top of it.

This would almost certainly be a kelowna guy due to its location. If this is you, or someone you might know of, or heard the story.....PM me with the details of the location, I have the GPS co-ords, or just go back and the ravens will guide you to your buck! :icon_frow

I believe its simply a case of "couldnt find it" cant imagine someone leaving a buck like that for no reason???????

BTW I phoned this into the CO, looks like your bullet is still in the buck!

Brambles
10-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Any pics? Would you have shot him this early in the season if you had seen him alive?

shawnwells
10-22-2010, 09:42 PM
frickin bummer...another one this year eh....

peashooter
10-22-2010, 09:52 PM
that sucks. gotta ask what the co and bullet in buck will do. you describe the area as being hard to find. if there where no crows would you have found it. could have been a simple shot it and searched for a day or two and gave up.

Brambles
10-22-2010, 09:56 PM
that sucks. gotta ask what the co and bullet in buck will do. you describe the area as being hard to find. if there where no crows would you have found it. could have been a simple shot it and searched for a day or two and gave up.

Or shot late in the day and couldn't relocate the kill site in the AM. Sucks for sure, I'd hate to loose a buck, especially an nice one.

Laurence_Erickson
10-22-2010, 10:01 PM
lets see a pic mark :)

mark
10-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Any pics? Would you have shot him this early in the season if you had seen him alive?

This is the kind of buck that would make yer heart skip a beat at first, running away I might have poked at it, but with a good look I would of passed, it wouldnt score worth beans maybe 160's
I did take pics, not uploaded yet!

Without ravens no-one would of EVER found this buck! I doubt I could find it again, hence I GPS'd it! Shy of shooting a deer in this spot, no person would ever walk to this particular spot, even if you did, you would have to trip on it to notice it!

I doubt the person spent an hour looking, even though the buck would of dropped in its tracks judging by the shot????

BimmerBob
10-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Looking forward to the pics, would be nice to have the shooter get their trophy...

hoochie
10-22-2010, 10:16 PM
I've heard a few stories of guys that have gone hunting by themselves and had to return to town to get a buddy help them load the deer in the truck. Perhaps it was one of those cases and they couldnt locate it once they returned.
Or, perhaps... if the terrain is as dense as you say, it might have been a "dusk" shot and the person had trouble getting to it, or was walking around in circles looking for it. I really dont think its the case of someone shooting the deer just to kill it.. I wanna give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

twoSevenO
10-22-2010, 10:28 PM
shitty deal. sounds like he probably spent some time running around in cirlces, ran out of daylight, then the next day couldn't even find the stump he shot from, let alone the deer..... hell two weeks ago we shot a 4x3 and i went some 1-1.5k to get the Jeep and when i pulled up it took me 20 minutes to find him in the grass.

I used to use my GPS if i had the feeling of "lost", now i waypoint EVERYTHING! lol

mark
10-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Looking forward to the pics, would be nice to have the shooter get their trophy...

I guess it cant hurt....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/my_2010_elk_026_Small_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=20789&size=big&cat=500)
&

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/my_2010_elk_022_Small_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=20788&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

These pics dont quite do it justice IMO, it was a fairly impressive rack! About 28" wide at the G-4's, some freaky huge eyeguards coming from the bases!

betteroffishing
10-22-2010, 10:43 PM
you would pass on that after a second look?? umm hello ,... bang! it sure would be nice to land that trophy in the hands of the shooter

peashooter
10-22-2010, 10:50 PM
thinhorns. crazy horn on his right. almost looks like a third antler the way it comes off the front. cool rack alright.

ufishifish2
10-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the pics mark. Puts a face to a name or something like that.....

swampthing
10-23-2010, 08:29 AM
By the looks of the location he probably couldnt find it. About a 135- 140 buck I would say, but not a buck many would pass up.

BromBones
10-23-2010, 09:33 AM
That was my first thoguht as well - couldn't locate it after he shot.

Maybe poked it in the evening and got too dark/couldn't find it come morning. Or he figured he missed?

Shitty deal anyways, to waste a deer like that.

butthead
10-23-2010, 12:48 PM
thats why i carry flaging tape so i can mark the area so i can find it again. Bright flaging tape.

BimmerBob
10-23-2010, 12:50 PM
thats why i carry flaging tape so i can mark the area so i can find it again. Bright flaging tape.

Oh cool, what color do you use and what general areas do you hunt? :wink:

butthead
10-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Oh cool, what color do you use and what general areas do you hunt? :wink:

pink
can't tell you

BimmerBob
10-23-2010, 12:57 PM
pink
can't tell you

LOL, damn! Figured I could locate your honey hole! :mrgreen:

butthead
10-23-2010, 12:59 PM
LOL, damn! Figured I could locate your honey hole! :mrgreen:
It's full of honey and pink flagging tape

tooley
10-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Looks like you found him in a cutblock or a burn. Any chance of night hunters seeing this buck from a road?

mark
10-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Looks like you found him in a cutblock or a burn. Any chance of night hunters seeing this buck from a road?

Nope, way to far from nearest road! The shooter saw the buck drop, guaranteed!

BlackBear
10-23-2010, 07:38 PM
I hope I'm wrong; however, it looks very very similar to a buck I watched for a while in the early season (late September/early October). To rule out the general area, was it anywhere near 8-11, 8-8, or 3-12?

urbanhermit
10-23-2010, 07:51 PM
pitlampers? maybe wasnt big enough for them?

bearslayer01
10-23-2010, 07:54 PM
i found one bigger than that i dont have any pics but i have come up with the conclusion that some people are scared of the dark

Islandeer
10-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Situation where a good ol dog comes in handy.

urbanhermit
10-23-2010, 07:59 PM
i found one bigger than that i dont have any pics but i have come up with the conclusion that some people are scared of the dark

i think that is 100% right too..

Muleycatcher
10-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Hopefully it gets back to the person who shot it.

Buckmeister
10-23-2010, 08:41 PM
you would pass on that after a second look?? umm hello ,... bang! it sure would be nice to land that trophy in the hands of the shooter

Have you seen the kind of bucks that Mark gets??? If so, you would understand why he passed on this one. This sucks for sure.

born2hunt
10-23-2010, 08:44 PM
thanks for sharing Mark !! nice rack but a little thin. to bad it wasn't found tho thats a shame.

Jelvis
10-23-2010, 08:56 PM
I found a buck way bigger than that and almost perfect tines up by Little Fort dead eaten from the neck back .. thicker, even and dark brown, look like a cat kill or a wounded buck some guy shot at one and wounded it two weeks before.
JP .. the genes on that one are not good at all .. crappy rack looks like a Whiteman Creek buck MU 8-21 access from Westside road along Okanagan Lake good mules and whites.

SURGE
10-23-2010, 09:03 PM
same thing happened to me i shot at a buck just before dark and watched it go over . i let out the big war whoop and charged over to where the buck was standing and nothing. i looked everywhere until it was black. i tapped off the area and came back with three buddies and flashlights.i looked the next couple of days, i was so sure that buck went down but still nothing. what a sick feeling (should of brought a dog). anyways this was thick crappy bush and a couple years later i decided to go back there to look around and about 70 yards or so over from where we looked i found all the remains of a nice 5x5 all the bones were in one heep .

Jelvis
10-23-2010, 09:08 PM
A dead deer when hot can curl up and fall into a small dipped spot and is very very hard to find. Ravens eventually will give the spot away, when you see ravens and here the noises they make, take a look it's a dead animal or remains.
JP More Gun

Ferenc
10-24-2010, 08:25 AM
If I could add to checking out ravens over a kill site....always take caution as something else may be taking a look and or lurking in the back ground and there preference will not matter...two legged or not!!!!