PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly In Lumby

Gunner Staal
10-22-2010, 08:59 PM
So, had an odd day today to say the least. Hunted the Harris Creek FSR area near Lumby from dusk till dawn. Saw one mulie doe early this am and did not see another living creature all day. Not a squirrel not a grouse nothing....until. About 4:30 my partner and I were hiking back to the truck between Jeffrey and Mcauley FSR. We were walking right down the guts of Harris which is the main drag. The first indicator I should have picked up on was the free range cattle running like Kentucky Derby winners towards me.....second was the pile of shit in the middle of the FSR I thought was horse.

We took one more corner and standing smack in the middle of the road was a huge mature Grizz. I should have clued in when I saw his crap but I just couldn't fathom a grizz in that area and being so low. He initially ran away from us and stuck to the FSR but after 100 meters he ducked off calmly into the brush. My partner and I were totally surprised and gave him a few minutes before we moved up. We walked about 30 meters off the FSR which then dropped steeply down a sand embankment. We sat on top of the embankment and watched below and within 2 minutes the big boy crossed right underneath us. He hadn't winded us yet and we watched as he paralleled the FSR back all the way to the exact point where we were standing when we first saw him. He then walked into the trees and appeared to be heading back to the road. I dont have a ton of grizz experience but im sure he was trying to get downwind of us to figure out what we were when he first saw us. Either that....or maybe we looked like dinner. Either way, just wanted to let the guys who hunt that area know he was around. Maybe its more common than I think for the area but I highly doubt it. Happy hunting.

boxhitch
10-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Good to read about your sighting.
Wonder if he has a taste for the beef ?

Gunner Staal
10-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Ya I thought the same. There is a tonne of cattle in that area and some of those calves would be a nice dinner before sleepy time. You know it was the nicest looking animal of any species ive ever seen. So cool to see one up close that way. I was never interested in hunting them before but that all changed today.

PointMan
10-22-2010, 09:27 PM
He might be one of the 3 from above Echo Lake, there was a mom and 2 cubs there 2 years ago. Might be a different one completely too. Thanks for the heads up though, I hunt there fairly often.

Jagermeister
10-22-2010, 09:39 PM
"So, had an odd day today to say the least. Hunted the Harris Creek FSR area near Lumby from dusk till dawn. "
I hope that you made a mistake here.

Forty or fifty years ago, grizzlies had a lot of remote forested areas that they could retreat to when human enroachment on their territories happened. With the demise of the forest due to increased logging because of the vast beetle kill, it should not be suprising to see grizzlies showing up closer to human settlement. I grew up in the Okanagan and hunted to the east of Penticton, grizzlies were unheard of until a few years ago when one made an appearance just above Naramata.

Brambles
10-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Another case of being on a Migratory Game Trail, you should have known better. :wink: Glad these grizz are nearly extinct, imagine how many we'd be seeing this year if there was actually respectable numbers....eh.

Be nice to get fall grizz leh in the southern portion of the province, thats for sure.

Gunner Staal
10-22-2010, 09:47 PM
hahaha! Brambles your not still holding a grudge over your "minor mishap" are you??

Brambles
10-22-2010, 09:53 PM
hahaha! Brambles your not still holding a grudge over your "minor mishap" are you??

One day I will have my sweet revenge:mrgreen: i think the ministry should have thrown us some grizz tags just because we deserved them.......but nooooooo couldn't do that...

swampthing
10-23-2010, 08:37 AM
I think you deserve an honerary tag for your efforts, Brambles. I zip up my bear proof tent and have a hand on the rifle all night long now.

Islandeer
10-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Hopefully the EK Grizz will be napping when I'm there for mulies in november !! :?

BimmerBob
10-23-2010, 09:49 AM
"So, had an odd day today to say the least. Hunted the Harris Creek FSR area near Lumby from dusk till dawn. "

I hope that you made a mistake here.

Alright! Jagermeister you don't miss much do you? I missed the order of that and just read it as dawn to dusk :mrgreen: My friend Knighthunter would be proud of you Gunner Staal! What kind of optics do you use? :wink:

ufishifish2
10-23-2010, 10:11 AM
A number of guys from this site have seen him many times over the past month or so. He has been discussed on a couple different threads already, only difference being that no one else pinpointed his exact location quite as well as you did. He's so damn tame, and it only takes one a$$hole. Anyways, here are a couple pics of him from a different thread.
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Grizzly201016.jpg

My camera doesn't have zoom. Sorry!! Would have been great pics otherwise.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv194/ufishifish2/Grizzly201011.jpg

Gunner Staal
10-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Yep thats him. The blonde back is unmistakeable. You make a good point fish. Maybe I shouldnt have been so exact with his position, im a little to trusting in man sometimes. My intention was to let some of the guys know hes there for safety reasons. I couldn't believe it when I saw him and I saw several fathers with young kids out yesterday walking for chickens and such. I know its unlikely that boar will cause anyone an issue but it doesn't hurt to know hes around. Thanks for the great pics. I wished I could have got some.

Trapper D
10-23-2010, 01:42 PM
i used to own the last farm on bobby burns road and ya they come though there sometimes along with other things thats why we sold our property

Chuck
10-23-2010, 01:55 PM
i used to own the last farm on bobby burns road and ya they come though there sometimes along with other things thats why we sold our property

What other things? You wouldn't be hinting at Sam would you?

ufishifish2
10-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Mostly pot growers - I've found a couple grow-ops right behind that last farm. Used to be great black bear hunting just past that farm. Not sure if it is any more.

Gunner Staal
10-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Wondering if this fella died this weekend as per castanet reports??????

Trapper D
10-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Mostly pot growers - I've found a couple grow-ops right behind that last farm. Used to be great black bear hunting just past that farm. Not sure if it is any more.
thats right, because the actual owners that we bought from were out of towners , and the disfunctional son had quite the set up in the bush. the story goes, from the realtor, that the son had gone a lil squirrelly growing , living remote , and the paranoias that come with that. well word got back somehow to the boys in blue, and they came to poke around i guess. well the son would have none of that, and shot out the window, well they eventually had the full force up there , but he wouldnt come out, i guess he was in the house for a couple of days, they cut the water supply , and thats how they got him. when we purchased the place, it was like someone just up and left, cause everything was still as it was the day they took him out. and i know he went squirrly cause i read his letters that he wrote to himself. we burnt everything in the house. ta there was piping and pots strewn over 77 acres, took some time to clean it up. sorry took a year to respond, or at least continue the posts , ifish.lol

Phil A. Bowl
10-24-2011, 08:04 PM

Your not talkin about samsqams are you?lol

thepitchedlink
10-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Wondering if this fella died this weekend as per castanet reports??????

I was wondering the same thing