PDA

View Full Version : My first buck..

NitwiT
10-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Finally got some time on my hands, so I thought I post the story on how I achieved this enourmous milestone.

It all started at work, I found out that I was gonna get a week off of work, and decided there was no better way to spend this time then by ditching the family, and heading off into the mountains. I called a bunch of friends, but no one was in a similar situation, so I thought whatever, I'm going!

Headed out to Wendego Lodge, on Tranquille Lake, on Sunday afternoon, arrived there around 7 pm that day, and moved in. I had received a couple tips from some Kamloops hunters, and with those in the back of my head, and the lodge owners own advice on the area, I headed out to Hellar Creek FSR. Spent monday and tuesday driving around, getting out and walking, but being a rookie, I'm fairly positive that any bucks in that area left that postal code. I did happen upon one mule deer, when he ran, he was super close, (I hadn't seen him) and so large that I figured it was a weird colored elk.

Wednesday morning came, and I headed up to Silokun Mountain. As I drove slowly through the area, I kept glassing and in one, found a nice three point buck staring at me. My efforts to get out of the truck resulted in him taking off. Slightly discouraged at how bad I was at this, I drove on. About 25 minutes later, came around a small corner, to find a spiker buck poking around behind a tree on the side of the road. Wind was 100% in my favor, and I very carefully got out of my truck, snuck into the woods, and set up to shoot. As I lined up on his front shoulder, in the peripheral of my scope, another three point poked his head into. Getting greedy, I decided I'd wait for a shot at him. Couple minutes later, the wind shifted, and they both took off. At this point in my day, I'm discouraged and feeling kind of stupid.

Headed to Kamloops to get gas, came back up Red Lake FSR to Criss Creek, and back down Sawmill to Silokun mountain. It is now evening as I cross through the gate and into this territory. About half way through the area, I come around a corner, and see a doe standing on the of the road. Figure this is as good a time as any to stalk up and see how close I can get for practice. Again start climbing out of the truck, but as soon as I crack the door open, the doe looks at me and I noticed a couple sticks poking out of its head. Heart jumps, as I realize I'm staring at my fourth chance of the day.

Carefully climb out, stopping everytime he looks at me. Sneak to the nearest sturdy branch to set up shop, and he's gotten kind of suspicious and is walking away. By the time I'm ready he's about 70 yards away, and headed directly away from me. Not sure what it would do, but I woof at him, he turns to look at me, giving me a side/shoulder shot. I squeeze the trigger.

Eyes off the scope, focus on the deer to track him into the woods, first step was a lurch, but then he recovers and heads off into the side of a clearcut. I had expected the deer to fold up and die on the spot, wishful thinking I guess, but I head over to the area he was in, and take a quick look for sign. I see nothing in the ditch, in the woods, or on the road. Now I figure that the worst must have happened, and I've gut shot a deer, and am gonna have to chase him through the woods. I go back to the truck, move it closer, and get all set up for the long hunt ahead.

Back to the road to try find some trace of it, when I notice two 1/8" inch bright orange spots on the ground. These lead to a pool about 2" in diameter. Hoof marks up the bank, more blood rubbed on grass, and splattered on logs and rocks. Following this trail, it leads me about 20 yards off the road, to where my first buck is lying on his side having expired from the first shot.

I dragged it back to the truck, threw back a celebratory hot chocolate, and proceeded to gut the animal. Interesting process, haveing only read about it, but all in all the guts and blood came out in the end, with no damage to anything that shouldnt have been. The bullet that I fired, a 180 grain Barnes TTSX backed by 40.3 grains of varget, punch directly through the fifth rib, expanding instantly to tear a 3/4" hole through a lung. Exiting through the third rib.

I know it's been a long read, but I hope to never forget the elation upon finding that young buck taken with a single round. You have no idea how much that meant to me!

Mark

oh yah, heres a couple pics, sorry that they are after the fact, I forgot the camera and resorted to a fujifilm disposable.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=15484990&l=6c153a5b0f&id=855925181
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=15484993&l=3cadbf6e88&id=855925181
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=15485001&l=8c3b9e4d52&id=855925181

Shooter
10-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Good job. Lotsa chances for one day too. You will have a bright hunting future ahead of you and with a little practice those bigger boys will be hittin the dirt.

16ga
10-22-2010, 07:33 PM
I like your patience, waiting for a good shot, looks like good eating.

Kody94
10-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Congrats on your first buck! http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

I really enjoyed your writing style, and your attention to the details. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Cheers
K94

PointMan
10-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Good job! I picked up a cheap Primo hands free deer call from Wal Mart a while back, hasn't worked on hite tails yet, but the mulies sure seem to like it, might want to pick one up and give it a try, it's only 12 bucks.

Chuck
10-22-2010, 07:53 PM
For a while there, I thought you were having a joke on us. "First Buck" and then proceed to tell it like you've been doing this for many years, saying it like a veteran. My mistake! Well done.

sapper
10-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Well done. I've yet to get myself a buck. I'm also impressed that you appear to be doing all your own butchering. Did you read that too in a book? :-)

swampthing
10-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Good shootin and congrats on the buck. It only gets better.

Gerry
10-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Congrats on the buck and a great story as well. Thanks for posting.:-D

Sitkaspruce
10-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Congrats on your first of many!!!

Good story as well!!

Cheers

SS

Caveman
10-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Nice job Mark! Enjoy those steaks! Looks like you've got a pretty good grasp on the do it yourself meat cutting! Hint! Try a nice sharp fillet knife, hold a good edge and cuts a nice butterfly steak. That's what it's all about. Next time in Kamloops, PM me and I show you a few good spots.

cainer
10-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Good job Mark...My first buck had almost the exact configuration of antlers that yours has-one side wanted to split but couldn't quite do it. got em mounted on one of those plaques! still remember like it was yesterday.

luckynuts
10-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Congratulations Mark.

Good story glad everything worked out for ya. Nothing more rewarding than getting it done all by yourself.

W.

Sangstercraft
10-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Hey Mark, good story, it was fun to read.