PDA

View Full Version : Big bucks

bigmuley
10-22-2010, 03:18 PM
So i been trying to find myself a big muley but no luck other then missing a massive 6 x7 in region three. Im wonder if anyone can give me a answer on wherer are some big bucks in region three?

GoatGuy
10-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Sounds like you already know.

Jelvis
10-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Tell us exactly where you saw the 6x7 first lol then maybe lol

ufishifish2
10-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Wow, your first post was a doozy! Atleast you got the "not so mandatory" joke under your belt already.

Jelvis
10-22-2010, 03:24 PM
How do you know you missed the 6x7 ? Hello?

bigmuley
10-22-2010, 03:32 PM
it was a random theres a deer haha never seen any in that area and ive been looking around there latley and nothing for deer sign and i know i missed because i saw the dirt on the side of the hill above him explode. and never got a second shot at him he was gone

Shooter Jr.
10-22-2010, 03:43 PM
So i been trying to find myself a big muley but no luck other then missing a massive 6 x7 in region three. Im wonder if anyone can give me a answer on wherer are some big bucks in region three?
Sorry Bigmuley, people on here can be very helpful but when it comes to there hunting spots, they would rather die. I don't know anything about region 3 but nothing personal, i wouldn't tell you, or anyone for that matter. That's just the way it goes:mrgreen:

bighornbob
10-22-2010, 03:44 PM
it was a random theres a deer haha never seen any in that area and ive been looking around there latley and nothing for deer sign and i know i missed because i saw the dirt on the side of the hill above him explode. and never got a second shot at him he was gone

I would live in the area you saw him in. He will be back.

BHB

Shooter Jr.
10-22-2010, 03:45 PM

BHB
Exactly....

boxhitch
10-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Or watch for birds and pick up the rack

BHB

knighthunter
10-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Region 3 is a big area, can you narrow it down for us? Maybe if you posted where you live, we would be able to give you better advice.

ruger#1
10-22-2010, 04:03 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/new_rifle_004.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6223&ppuser=699) This one is from region three. Hat Creek, Clinton area.

bigmuley
10-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Ya it seems that the deer in there move when winter or rut is almost around the corner(snow flys).
Its just realy hard to tell where there going cuase there headed north but there is so much country that its impossible to know. and believe me i am gonna hunt this place like no other when season starts next year.

GoatGuy
10-22-2010, 04:05 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/new_rifle_004.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6223&ppuser=699) This one is from region three. Hat Creek, Clinton area.

Before or after the colour television?

ruger#1
10-22-2010, 04:08 PM
2003. wait, Goat guy might still have a black and white tv.

GoatGuy
10-22-2010, 04:09 PM
2003. wait, Goat guy might still have a black and white tv.

holy, get the duster out. who needs a tv when you got this place?

oneheadshot
10-22-2010, 04:19 PM
theres lots of big mule deer on the far side of the moon grass behind the tree with the big will nots

Jelvis
10-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Just because the dirt flew from your shot up behind the buck and he ran away is no reason to think you missed short stuff ..
Jel .. please better explain further about it being a miss .. this your first year?

tomahawk
10-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Just because the dirt flew from your shot up behind the buck and he ran away is no reason to think you missed short stuff ..
Jel .. please better explain further about it being a miss .. this your first year?

So true, hopefully he went up and looked around for blood. Three guys in a pick up came past our moose camp yrs ago while we were having lunch, 20 min later we hear a single shot. They came back past camp a couple hrs later and had "missed" a bull because it didn't go down but never checked. I asked where and went there that afternoon and found the "missed" bull about 50 yds from where it was hit, deader then a door nail..

GoatGuy
10-22-2010, 04:58 PM

I screwed up and made that call on a caribou last year as well. Saw the rocks fly in behind and figured it was a miss. Couple seconds later somebody opened the taps and the blood was coming out of both nostrils full bore.

ruger#1
10-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I shot a buck this year and it took off like it wasn't hit. It made it 50yrds. it is always good to look . I gutted it and found the heart blown to peices. White tails are bad for running after being shot unless you hit them in the head.

CooperSscat
10-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I bumped into a guy a few weeks back in region 3. He said he took a few pokes at a 6x7 muley with a scoped .303 in 4 point season. He said the buck was 300 plus yards away and that he did not retrieve it. He was very pumped to have another crack at that animal in the near future. Too bad he couldn't get a tad closer to up the success rate.

Jeremy

Jelvis
10-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Some guys shoot at a deer and then hey I missed, so I said where did you see it, we went over to the spot, he shot from then I said where did you see it, over there in the bushes, we went over looked around in circles, bingo dead deer. He says I thought I hit it, duh. Some guys shoot from the road up a hill and think they miss then don't even look.
JP .. Where did they learn to do this? Someone should kick the guy on the crotch, then a knee in the chops when he bends over from the kick then after the upper cut kick he straightens up, again in the nadders, then when he goes forward, another knee to the jowls, then when he straightens up repeat until done.

swampthing
10-22-2010, 08:14 PM
If you already missed a big buck your doing better than most. I have hit all my big bucks only to find out there not that big. Good luck.

TIKA 300
10-22-2010, 08:52 PM
I shot a buck this year and it took off like it wasn't hit. It made it 50yrds. it is always good to look . I gutted it and found the heart blown to peices. White tails are bad for running after being shot unless you hit them in the head.

Or in the spine,and the lead running 2/3 of the way up it,without exiting the skin.....:wink:

bigmuley
10-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Ya cooperSscatt that was def me haha I havent seen that dam deer since i gurantee hes in the thick bush for the rest of the season. And ya i checked for blood for probably a 50 meters in all directions and i never found nothing. no blood and i know i hit high cause i was aiming high cause it was a long shot and the range finder said just under 300 yards and i wasnt packing a big rifle.

Jelvis
10-23-2010, 05:39 PM
300 yards in the bush? Was the massive buck moving or standing in the wide open spaces?
Jel ( Lost in Space ) Dr. Zachery Smith MD.

bigmuley
10-23-2010, 05:53 PM
He was across a huge cut block at first mistaked him for stump on my first glass of the area and then i noticed movement on my second pass and i was like woahh and started my stalk but only shortly after moving maybe fifty yards he had me pinpointed and he was just on the bottom of a nole when i lined up.

Jelvis
10-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Right on you got some good observation skills picking the buck out and then trying to get closer was a good move, go back there and the buck could show up again, he won't leave the country like an elk would.
Jelly ( Knight Rider's Mikel Knight ) N Kit .. Operation Big Buck :)

bigmuley
10-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Beleive me ive tried. Me and a hunting buddy have hunted there the last four weeks trying to get this buck but no luck. We think the deer winter lower closer to the river but there are numerous spots that they could go. But at the same time do the big bucks leave the area tell snow flies or do they follow the does as soon as ruts hit? like to hear what ya think. It could go either way i mean i have seen big bucks up in high country in rut with no deer around and also seen them in low country with tons of deer.

goatdancer
10-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Hey Ruger1 What kind of gun is that? I think I have it's brother.

Jelvis
10-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Elevation in wintering range where I hunt over the Thompson river ranges from 4000 ft and lower on the slope as it angles down. Halloween time finds the majority of mule deer below this elevation, because mule deer tend to hit winter range prior to the rut which begins now October 23rd and on into November.
It will snow tonight in the mountains so you can see tracks and where the deer are going.
Deer will be on the tops of hills now looking down pushed by hunters to these harder to get at areas, they move at night and breed at night mostly.
So in early morning in fresh snow pick a good size track and follow it step for step slowly looking ahead. Remember a buck this time of year is going to a doe in estrus. If you see a couple does look around them in the bushes the buck will be there somewhere.
Jel .. Good luck and be out there from now til end of November.

ruger#1
10-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Hey Ruger1 What kind of gun is that? I think I have it's brother. It's a CZ550FS in 6.5X55. It is a very nice rifle. Stock was to long for me so I had a thinner recoil pad put on it.

boxhitch
10-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Ya cooperSscatt that was def me haha I havent seen that dam deer since i gurantee hes in the thick bush for the rest of the season. And ya i checked for blood for probably a 50 meters in all directions and i never found nothing. no blood and i know i hit high cause i was aiming high cause it was a long shot and the range finder said just under 300 yards and i wasnt packing a big rifle.Most any rifle would shoot to 300 yards. What are you using ?
Where does it hit targets when shot at 300 ? Low ? Center ?
Been to the range since you missed, to check groupings ?

dmace
10-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Elevation in wintering range where I hunt over the Thompson river ranges from 4000 ft and lower on the slope as it angles down. Halloween time finds the majority of mule deer below this elevation, because mule deer tend to hit winter range prior to the rut which begins now October 23rd and on into November.
It will snow tonight in the mountains so you can see tracks and where the deer are going.
Deer will be on the tops of hills now looking down pushed by hunters to these harder to get at areas, they move at night and breed at night mostly.
So in early morning in fresh snow pick a good size track and follow it step for step slowly looking ahead. Remember a buck this time of year is going to a doe in estrus. If you see a couple does look around them in the bushes the buck will be there somewhere.
Jel .. Good luck and be out there from now til end of November.

Hey Jel

you are starting to sound like Yoda

doubled
10-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Hey Jel

you are starting to sound like Yoda

That is some funny chit!!!

bigmuley
10-25-2010, 01:54 PM
I had never sited my gun in for 300 yards or even close to that i site it in a about 200 yards every year. And its right on. It was just a clean miss.

BCrams
10-25-2010, 02:27 PM
I had never sited my gun in for 300 yards or even close to that i site it in a about 200 yards every year. And its right on. It was just a clean miss.

With any reasonable calibre, if you're sighting in your gun every year at about 200 yards (bang on), with a 1.5-2.5" high at 100 yards, your gun likely has enough punch out to 300 yards with only a -4 to -9 inch drop depending on calibre.

Islandeer
10-25-2010, 02:41 PM
With any reasonable calibre, if you're sighting in your gun every year at about 200 yards (bang on), with a 1.5-2.5" high at 100 yards, your gun likely has enough punch out to 300 yards with only a -4 to -9 inch drop depending on calibre.
so a 303 say with 180's at 300 yds would drop around 6 inches?

GoatGuy
10-25-2010, 03:36 PM
so a 303 say with 180's at 300 yds would drop around 6 inches?

probably a bit more than that, say a couple inches (12 max). Most hunters that shoot 300 yards are shooting 150 yards. Best thing is to take a range finder and look at stumps, rocks and guess the distance.

frenchbar
10-25-2010, 03:48 PM
probably a bit more than that, say a couple inches (12 max). Most hunters that shoot 300 yards are shooting 150 yards. Best thing is to take a range finder and look at stumps, rocks and guess the distance.

no wonder i keep missing.......:wink:

GoatGuy
10-25-2010, 04:17 PM
no wonder i keep missing.......:wink:

We never heard about the epic miss?

The bucks are at least 170 minimums and the bears are 7 footers - makes for a good story.

What gives?

frenchbar
10-25-2010, 04:22 PM
We never heard about the epic miss?

The bucks are at least 170 minimums and the bears are 7 footers - makes for a good story.

What gives?
Ive had a few epic misses:cry: im just headed out to try and redeem myself:-D

B.S Storys of 180 min non typs and jug head bears ahead at 11...