PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Luck! 2x immature Bulls, 1 x cow 3 Shots, 3 kills

generallee
10-22-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm so escited to share this! We had such a awesome trip!

It all started with a 12 hour drive to 7.6 hunting grounds to our special spot that some of the other guys have been going to for many years, 3 rookies on this trip, including myself.

We set out our first day checking out the area, making sure that everyone was familiar with it. Didn't see much for Tracks or movement that morning, pretty quite. After talking with a few other hunters that had been there for 11 days without anything in sight, so we head back for Breakfast/Lunch and decide were we would head for the evening. I decided I wanted to Head out on the Quad with one of the other guys, we covered a pretty good area without seeing anything just a few old tracks. Well our luck was about to change. We managed to catch up to some of the others in the group at about 5:00PM and they had decided that they were going to shoot some chickens (Grouse) and continue hunting moose in the morning. So we move on and head up the same road they were on. Well about 1 KM up the road we came through a creek on a corner and about 200 Yards up the road staring at us was a Bull, it took about 2 minutes to confirm because the Moose only had a Deformed Knub on one side, and wasn't turning the other way to get a good veiw. While my buddy was looking at the moose a I crawled over to get a clear shot (well I was freakin shakin with excitement as this was my first Moose oportunity) My Buddy shot and dropped the Moose on the Spot on the side of the muddy road Before I even Heard him confirm 2 x WTF, meanwhile the rest of the group was watching us from just around the corner and could not quite see what we were shooting at. But as soon as they heard the Shot they new! There were 6 of us to pretty much witness this, and 3 of us are new hunters. Pretty Damm Exciting. Take er back to camp and start cleaning..

I'm now thinking, this moose hunting thing is pretty cool, easy as hell right? Well the weather had changes just a little over night to -5, this should get them moving, so after a late night (2AM), we set the Alarms and up and out at 6:00AM to go look for more illusive Immatures as only one of us had a Cow Tag. I couldn't get anyone else to come on the other Quad with me that morning ( to cold, sore Back sore Bla, Bla, Bla) What ever. So I say screw it, my second day hunting ever I head out by myself early and get over to where we shot the last one, same area they shot there Cow the previous year (3KM area). So I'm taking my time cruising along and I can tell i'm the first hunter down this road this morning as there is ice on the Puddles until some local hunting guides that work in the area come racing up behind me, I let them through and them they start hunting 100 Yards in front of me on the same road (these guys need a serious tune up , as they are agressive towards everyone that comes up there). Anyways i chill out poor a coffee and have a smoke, continue on until I caught up to them again at a clearing so I chill out again a decide to work my way back so I can stay in Radio contact with the rest of my group. So i'm cruising along for about 1/2 hour and I'm coming around a corner and up a small hill and Holy Crap, another Bull, but this time I'm even closer 100 Yards. Well I'm shakin from excitement again, grab the Bino's confirm 3 times 2x2, 2x2, 2x2, Did i say I was excited? Well I set myself all up, look throught the scope, Crap my scope is All fogged up, and I had to wait what seemed like forever then "POW", I dropped him with my 7MM Savage on the spot, dropped like a rock on the side of the Muddy road 8:30AM.

Well I get on the Radio and Get ahold of another part of my group and Guess what? we can come help in about 2 hours, Cow Down about 1KM down the road, this is not so easy, Down a ravine, across a river, it took 6 of us 7 hours to get her to the road with turfer jacks, a 10ft boat and a truck, bent the taillgate on the truck loading her. We spent the next 2 days cleaning moose Quarters.... What a trip. I think we hunted for about 14hours, hauled the Cow out of the Bush for 7 hours and Cleaned meat for about 18 hours (rookies) and drove for 26 hours.

I cannot believe our Luck, And we all reallize how fortunate to have this much meat in our freezers.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=301025&id=745604008&l=636642808e

muledeercrazy
10-22-2010, 02:49 PM
congrats! nice work, now you will definetly be addicted.

forthunter
10-22-2010, 03:09 PM
right on bud congrats on the successful hunt, i went up there couple weeks ago with some friends no moose but tons of grouse there

generallee
10-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Yes we were there on the 10th, Girlfriends dad just got back from 7.6 with there group and dropped Cow, Calf, 9x9 and another bull not sure on the size as he got back last night and i havn't talked to him yet.

GoatGuy
10-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Nice job, way to go!

sawmill
10-22-2010, 05:49 PM
You know what?I just got goosebumps remembering my first moose sucsess!Well told story and big congrats to you!Ain`t nothing like it is there:mrgreen:

tomahawk
10-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Awesome..........

generallee
11-22-2010, 03:01 PM
[quote=generallee;770397]I'm so escited to share this! We had such a awesome trip!

It all started with a 12 hour drive to 7.6 hunting grounds to our special spot that some of the other guys have been going to for many years, 3 rookies on this trip, including myself.

We set out our first day checking out the area, making sure that everyone was familiar with it. Didn't see much for Tracks or movement that morning, pretty quite. After talking with a few other hunters that had been there for 11 days without anything in sight, so we head back for Breakfast/Lunch and decide were we would head for the evening. I decided I wanted to Head out on the Quad with one of the other guys, we covered a pretty good area without seeing anything just a few old tracks. Well our luck was about to change. We managed to catch up to some of the others in the group at about 5:00PM and they had decided that they were going to shoot some chickens (Grouse) and continue hunting moose in the morning. So we move on and head up the same road they were on. Well about 1 KM up the road we came through a creek on a corner and about 200 Yards up the road staring at us was a Bull, it took about 2 minutes to confirm because the Moose only had a Deformed Knub on one side, and wasn't turning the other way to get a good veiw. While my buddy was looking at the moose a I crawled over to get a clear shot (well I was freakin shakin with excitement as this was my first Moose oportunity) My Buddy shot and dropped the Moose on the Spot on the side of the muddy road Before I even Heard him confirm 2 x WTF, meanwhile the rest of the group was watching us from just around the corner and could not quite see what we were shooting at. But as soon as they heard the Shot they new! There were 6 of us to pretty much witness this, and 3 of us are new hunters. Pretty Damm Exciting. Take er back to camp and start cleaning..

I'm now thinking, this moose hunting thing is pretty cool, easy as hell right? Well the weather had changes just a little over night to -5, this should get them moving, so after a late night (2AM), we set the Alarms and up and out at 6:00AM to go look for more illusive Immatures as only one of us had a Cow Tag. I couldn't get anyone else to come on the other Quad with me that morning ( to cold, sore Back sore Bla, Bla, Bla) What ever. So I say screw it, my second day hunting ever I head out by myself early and get over to where we shot the last one, same area they shot there Cow the previous year (3KM area). So I'm taking my time cruising along and I can tell i'm the first hunter down this road this morning as there is ice on the Puddles until some local hunting guides that work in the area come racing up behind me, I let them through and them they start hunting 100 Yards in front of me on the same road (these guys need a serious tune up , as they are agressive towards everyone that comes up there). Anyways i chill out poor a coffee and have a smoke, continue on until I caught up to them again at a clearing so I chill out again a decide to work my way back so I can stay in Radio contact with the rest of my group. So i'm cruising along for about 1/2 hour and I'm coming around a corner and up a small hill and Holy Crap, another Bull, but this time I'm even closer 100 Yards. Well I'm shakin from excitement again, grab the Bino's confirm 3 times 2x2, 2x2, 2x2, Did i say I was excited? Well I set myself all up, look throught the scope, Crap my scope is All fogged up, and I had to wait what seemed like forever then "POW", I dropped him with my 7MM Savage on the spot, dropped like a rock on the side of the Muddy road 8:30AM.

Well I get on the Radio and Get ahold of another part of my group and Guess what? we can come help in about 2 hours, Cow Down about 1KM down the road, this is not so easy, Down a ravine, across a river, it took 6 of us 7 hours to get her to the road with turfer jacks, a 10ft boat and a truck, bent the taillgate on the truck loading her. We spent the next 2 days cleaning moose Quarters.... What a trip. I think we hunted for about 14hours, hauled the Cow out of the Bush for 7 hours and Cleaned meat for about 18 hours (rookies) and drove for 26 hours.

I cannot believe our Luck, And we all reallize how fortunate to have this much meat in our freezers.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=301025&id=745604008&l=636642808e

d6dan
11-22-2010, 03:06 PM
generallee.Congrats on a great hunt,and that's the kind of picture slide show we like here on HBC!..It was Great!..Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.:-D.

Deaddog
11-22-2010, 03:08 PM
great job, thanks for sharing the story, nice to see you get your first one.

srupp
11-22-2010, 03:25 PM
congradulations EXELLENT job at getting it done..:mrgreen:

I especially appreciated how well you guys and gals took care of the game meat..spotless....impressive..

However you may want to feed your camp guard dog..lol he looks a bit tiny and underfed...:wink:

great job

Steven

yzchamp
11-22-2010, 03:33 PM
NICE!! congrats.:)

knighthunter
11-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Also great that you took alot of pic's.

goatdancer
11-22-2010, 06:34 PM
What kind of a comealong are you using?