PDA

View Full Version : Access 5-15B

sneg
10-22-2010, 02:41 PM
We have moose LEH draw in 5-15B. I m looking for advise for best access. Right now plan to drive from Vancouver via Likely rd and along Cariboo lk prov park East side via Maeford lk up to Mitchell river.Than use small boat for crossing Quesnel lk north finger or Mitchell river.
Does anyone knows if road from Cariboo lk via Little river to Maeford lk is passable early November ? Or it is better to drive via Cariboo lk west to Cunnigham and than Mattew ? Or altogeter is better to go via Barkerville.
Appreciate any advise.:)

sneg
10-28-2010, 02:27 PM
hey Quesnel, WL guys .anyone been there lately ? how are the roads ? Lot of snow or still driveable ?
Tnx

LYKTOHUNT
10-28-2010, 02:42 PM
I live in Quesnel and at this point no snow around here, I will try to find out from our woods guys were I work for info out east

srupp
10-28-2010, 03:20 PM
hmmm I guided out of Maford Lake..Ghost Lake Outfitters..and hunted there for past 30 years..so I have some suggestions..

Its raining here in Wl today so snowing up in Cariboo mts..you do NOT want to get snowed in there and that can happen overnight...seriously..

HMMM all 3 of your ideas involve the same issue elevation and snow...LOTS of it and can happen overnight..

Where are you trying to hunt???:confused: If you prefer use PM..but all 3 may end up stranding you AND your vehicles and equipment....

I am home after 6 pm.... if you want PM me and send me your ph # and I will call you on my dime..

this time of year after the rut the moose up there are indeed starting to be pretty predictable in location and habits...

I cant recomend any of your 3 suggestions w/o more info..

just trying to help..

Steven:-D

Jagermeister
10-28-2010, 03:27 PM
We have moose LEH draw in 5-15B. I m looking for advise for best access. Right now plan to drive from Vancouver via Likely rd and along Cariboo lk prov park East side via Maeford lk up to Mitchell river.Than use small boat for crossing Quesnel lk north finger or Mitchell river.
Does anyone knows if road from Cariboo lk via Little river to Maeford lk is passable early November ? Or it is better to drive via Cariboo lk west to Cunnigham and than Mattew ? Or altogeter is better to go via Barkerville.
Appreciate any advise.:)
I just love it when guys put in for LEH by just looking at the odds. There is good reason the odds are so low in some areas.
When you look at the province, a late hunt in 5-15b has to be one of the hardest accessible areas if not the hardest, not to mention that it is in a huge snow belt and accumulates the white stuff early. That area was logged 20 years ago or more, so logging activity such as having roads plowed are quite unlikely. No active mines that I can think of either. The road to the lakehead of the north arm was no hell the last time I travelled it a few years back and at this time of year, if a storm were to dump snow while you were there, getting out would be pretty dramatic if not impossible.
Now having said all that, your best method of access would be by boat from the junction, going in from 150 Mile via Horsefly. And the boat that you want to use better be more seaworthy than a 17 foot aluminium, preference would be something in the size of 22' would be the order of the day. You would have to determine if one of the resorts on the south side of Quesnel Lake would be open to gain access to the lake. Most pack up their tents in the off season and leave, so having access there could also be problematic.
It's a fair distance to the head of the north arm, but doable. Just be mindful of the wind, it can blow like a banshee making the best place to be is on shore.
Others may have better information for you, hopefully, they will pony up.
Good Luck and err on the side of safe.

Jagermeister
10-28-2010, 03:35 PM
I say that your best bet is Ruppster. He's willing so take him up on it.

sneg
10-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks Gents.
My thinking to put for better odds than have fun trying to hunt in difficult area as oppose to put for lower odds and seat home b/c you did not get anything. If it is do-able than I wanna try it,if it is not safe than shall re-consider.

Mooseter
10-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Lots of grizz!!!!

Drillbit
10-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Grew up out there and have been all over the east side of the North arm. Best place to leave from this year would be Elysia Resort. Take a boat up to the Log dump south of the roaring river. Good docks. You could set up a wall tent camp there. You'll need wheels, so you'll need a boat that'll pack em. Used to use a pontoon boat and haul quads, but over the last 10 years have been using honda xr100's hauling them in 14' aluminums. We used to hunt there back when moose was open, but it was always tough dealing with the weather on the lake and the late snow. The other ways you mentioned would be a pretty big risk of getting caught in the snow, and I wouldn't try them. PM me if you want and I can give you a call too.
'Luck
Oh, and I would hunt around the Wasko Lakes for the best odds.

srupp
10-29-2010, 08:04 PM
some great info by all concerned..obviously from guys who do know the area and its inherent dangers..

This area has rebounded nicely with moose..no reserves close by, the natives always thought this area was off limits..bad spirits..

So it isnt hammered day anmd night all year long... the best area would be off to the right at the end of the North Arm..however at this time of year is also asking for issues due to sudden and violent storms...not a place for 12 foot tin in Nov..imo..

Yes there are lots of moose and I think Sneg has cow draws..so much easier...the trickiest place is the area just NORTH of Maeford lake..that the area that the snow acumulates the fastest in the entire Cariboo...amazing when it dumps..and nobody is coming to plow you out..so stay low before Maeford at Ladies creek for camping or come in from Quesnel and through the Cunningham pass rd..either the A OR B rd..should be watching the cuts to the North sure to see moose in those cuts first thing in the AM..at thjis time of year there will be snow so that will push some of the moose out of the high passes down lower..for the time being...

Yes good point about the grizzlies...there are indeed a LOT of them and these ones have very very ugly dispositions and are more likely to come than to go..and late in the season will NOT leave a moose carcass...thats a friendly warning IF you have to leave a carcass overnigt..be prepared.....Thinking of this area look for areas that have 3 or so valleys coming together...hint : think of logging rd intersections..:mrgreen:...and look along these access routes..

I also pick places I dont know and have never been..whats over that next mountain? around the next corner..:wink: and have sought out answers to questions I dont know..and have always had some wonderful help from this and other sites...live and learn.

Just be careful in this area with the snow ...thses late season hunts in this area arew onderfully successful...and I have seen 14 moose in 1 morning late when the snow had pushed em down..so a great place for a late moose hunt and especially a cow moose hunt..not many "troph " moose up there more meat moose..but in that rtespect this time of year a cow beats a bull moose in my books...

Good luck..and yes there are actually 4 ways to access this area...

Wasco and that whole area is great for moose ..but that junction is a dangerous place...

cheers
Steven:-D

Drillbit
10-29-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't think the trial that goes down to "Craig's" place (the end of the north arm on the west side) has been open lately, Betty Frank hasn't been down that way this year, she was running the Junction last I saw her. I could be wrong though, haven't seen for myself.

Good info from srupp too.

Also, if you get caught out on the lake or need help somewhere, the VHF channel is 156.300. It is also channel 6 on a marine radio. The juction has some permanent residents that always have their "ears on". If you're in the right spot this channell can be heard around that lake for a long way. Rent a radio if you have to, it might save your life.

srupp
10-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Ya some real tradgedies on that lake and close calls...

Pretty sure Betty has now sold the area to a lady guide from Alberta..although I believe her last name is Franks also..:confused:

cheers
Steven

Tarp Man
10-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Met the new guide in the spring... interpersonal communication not her strong suit that is for sure.

f350ps
10-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Ladies Cr. is a long way from Zone B. I've hunted the Mathew R. and it's a tough hunt, you better be well prepared. Access from the resort as already stated. Good Luck! K

sneg
10-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Gents,

Thanks for all the info and pointers.
decided not to cross lake in 12 ft boat. Will concentrate on land accessible part. Will come from Barkerville/Cunningham side, than trailer camp before road gets ugly than drive to hunting grounds.May be not most efficient,but probably safest way. Will pack marine VHF,land VHF and satelite phone (always do).
Can not wait to explore new area.
Sneg

shallowH2O
10-31-2010, 07:05 PM
sneg

just caught this thread. srupp and gerich got it right about the dangers of the lake at this time of year. it can whip up rather fast out there and catch you in a bad spot. middle of the junction is not were you want to be in a wind storm. snow levels are pretty mellow out there right now and were in for a week of warm weather which should keep the snow levels mellow but when it changes, pack up and move to lower ground or you run the risk of getting snowed in. hit up the road running down the east side of the mathews from ghost lk. hooks back up with the main rd back by the mathews bridge. might be the "b" rd. feww big new blks 3-4 years old down in the valley bottom. adjacent swamps an hanging valleys that they should be moving down from the high country. shoot me a pm if you want as well and i can give ya a call also. good luck

f350ps
10-31-2010, 08:20 PM
Ladies Cr. is a long way from Zone B. I've hunted the Mathew R. and it's a tough hunt, you better be well prepared. Access from the resort as already stated. Good Luck! K
Oops, should have thought before I typed, I was thinking about the Mitchell River which is in Zone B. If I'm not mistaking the Mathew is in Zone C but I've been wrong before. Regardless, if you do go over the top by Maeford Lk. keep your eye on the snow level as that pass gets LOTS of it. Good luck! K

sneg
10-31-2010, 08:33 PM
zone 5-15 B is essentially on North side from Mathew r up to Bowron lk park. I think it is only land accessible part of unit.Otherwise need to cross Quesnell lk. Road via Ladies crk is shortest ( from LML) way to location,but involve Maeford lk pass.Considering all pointers we shall try safer way via Cunningham pass.If weather stay mild we may try Little rvr road on way back.
thanks for advise

leadpillproductions
10-31-2010, 08:40 PM
If you can get across the lk lots of moose and g bears there good luck

sneg
11-01-2010, 07:08 AM
That s probably true. I have seen recent survey on web. Seems lot of moose and griz on that side.