PDA

View Full Version : Pink mountain buffalo hunt

hunterlaura
10-22-2010, 10:01 AM
We are heading out this weekend on our first ever buffalo hunt on pink mountain. Looking for details about where to camp and how far we will be quading to find these guys. Any information is greatly appreciated :)

elkdom
10-22-2010, 10:08 AM
first things , first!

prepare for LOTS of mud and snow,,,,
weather in the foot hills has turned ugly,
rain,snow, fog, YUCCKKKK!

have lots of warm/dry clothing, tarps, adequate lodging,!:wink:

fishkiller
10-22-2010, 10:53 AM
what area are you hunting in

BCrams
10-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Last minute inquiries like this are crazy. These plans should have been in place months ago.

hunterlaura
10-22-2010, 11:02 AM
I was asking for information, not ignorant comments - I didn't think it was a big problem for us to drive up there and see what we have in store - many people that I know that have gone up there get the information they need when they get there, from the indians and the land owners. Thanks though. PS - the draw wasn't months ago so there wasn't "months" to plan!

hunterlaura
10-22-2010, 11:10 AM
We heard the weather was supposed to be crappy, that's what makes the trip interesting! Should be fun!

tomahawk
10-22-2010, 11:20 AM
I was asking for information, not ignorant comments - I didn't think it was a big problem for us to drive up there and see what we have in store - many people that I know that have gone up there get the information they need when they get there, from the indians and the land owners. Thanks though. PS - the draw wasn't months ago so there wasn't "months" to plan!

I have to say that I agree with BC Rams. This is not the standard hunt for deer or moose and can require a lot of planning and equipment to make it happen. You ask for a place to camp?? Which area is your draw is necessary or you'll be camped in the wrong spot!!!!. Asking where the animals will be is dependent on how they have been pushed by the hunters already there and in which area you are hunting!!!! If you know so many people that have been successful with "just going up there blindly" to get there info and it works, that will have to do at this late time for you as well.

And lastly the "DRAW" actually was several months ago and you have had your results for at least 4 months to be able to plan. Its a good thing you are not on a later draw as the severe weather and equipment requirements are totally different then now and need lots of time to plan usually.

Anyhow, best of luck and let us know how it went and lots of pictures.

whitetailsheds
10-22-2010, 11:30 AM
prepare for LOTS of mud and snow,,,,
:wink:

............and more snow as we type......coming down pretty good....

hunterlaura
10-22-2010, 11:35 AM
I guess I'm not hardcore hunter enough for this website!!!!

hunterlaura
10-22-2010, 11:56 AM
I wasn't asking exactly where to camp, just if there are places TO camp. Most people stay in the lodge up there or whatever. And if quadding/sledding was an option for travel, which I now know is the best way. I joined this site looking for information, which I thought that's what it's for. People I know say to get where we have to go, you ask and pay for permission to cross a landowners property to get to there. And there are trails and logging roads that make it easy to find the meadows where they are. I am not completely blind going into this, as it may have sounded. Was just looking for a little extra info. Thanks anyway.

Peters Wildlife
10-22-2010, 12:02 PM
I wasn't asking exactly where to camp, just if there are places TO camp. Most people stay in the lodge up there or whatever. And if quadding/sledding was an option for travel, which I now know is the best way. I joined this site looking for information, which I thought that's what it's for. People I know say to get where we have to go, you ask and pay for permission to cross a landowners property to get to there. And there are trails and logging roads that make it easy to find the meadows where they are. I am not completely blind going into this, as it may have sounded. Was just looking for a little extra info. Thanks anyway.

Keep checking your post, I,m sure someone will help you out.....there is a lot of great people on here,

Cheers and good luck

palmer
10-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Laura: you need to let us know which area first A or B. then we can help

warnniklz
10-22-2010, 12:18 PM
I've known a lot of people that have been successful and un-successful up on Pink Mountain. Unfortunately I've yet to be up there, so I don't really have any information.

The only thing I've heard from the people I know is the weather is usually miserable and animals move due to hunting pressure. But I see other members have already posted that.

As far as you should have had this planned and all that. So be it. I'm pretty sure this forum was started so hunters could help each other out. Get out there and look around and enjoy yourself. Ask the locals, other hunters, whoever for advice. Don't think they'll walk you up to one and I don't think that's your intention. But they should give some areas to look around.

Just think if you're unsuccessful you'll probably have a good time, share a good laugh... maybe even a tear. At worst you'll probably get an idea of where to go the next time you get a draw.

Good luck and have fun

BiG Boar
10-22-2010, 12:42 PM
just go and do it. Then post pics of your big buff on here for everyone to drool over. Then say thanks anyways. Lots of info and stories on this site if you use the search function. Grab a beer and stay a while. Good luck. I got a draw also, but for a different zone and a different time of the year.

hunterlaura
10-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys :) That makes me feel better. The area is A. It's actually my mom's draw. My parents are loggers and farmers so for those of you who know how that goes, a lot of things are done unplanned! My stepdad is unable to come along so with that said, half our planning went out the door!

rymac
10-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Hey laura I was there. The camps up there range from 50 bucks a nite to 150. We were in A. And if u were set up for a camp lots of good areas. We found that they were deep on the trees or on the road. We got ours way back they had been shot up and an outfitter has set up now for two weeks. The roads are crap when they get wet. Best of luck

10-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Check with Jamie, at Pink Mountain Motor Inn, he is a super nice and he and his wife run a decent hotel and restraunt there.
You can stay there, or the natives with the Blueberry Band will offer cabins, about 60 per night BUT >>>>>>>> will charge you and every one else with you 175 bucks EACH just to access the land beyond them.

You can drive around with quads or sleds but it is a long way. Doable though, most go around and avoid the natives.

If having trouble finding them, head for the mountains up high, the basins, they will be there some where, some will be holed up in the dark spruce bottoms also.

Good luck to you.

CT

hunterlaura
10-22-2010, 01:05 PM
I also have a moose tag I would like to cut...so if we don't find any buffalo, maybe we will find a moose!

hunterlaura
10-22-2010, 01:08 PM
thanks guys :)

muledeercrazy
10-22-2010, 01:08 PM
nice! when do you leave? the weather does look like it is turning. It should be good!

muledeercrazy
10-22-2010, 01:10 PM
http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/dbc/125.html

I am going up that way for deer in a few weeks. I cant wait.

hunterlaura
10-22-2010, 01:15 PM
we are leaving on Sunday, going till Saturday. Taking the last week of the 2 week hunt. $175 EACH to cross? that's crazy! I heard it was just $175 to cross and you're good. wow! I told my Mom and she said, whatever, it's worth it!

rymac
10-22-2010, 01:23 PM
There is a way around the native ranch. But aparently its a rough road.

Good2bCanadian
10-22-2010, 01:42 PM
My 2 friends went up last year with out too much info. Rented a few sleds, talked to some locals, and had a successful hunt. Took a few days to find the herd. Then advised a plan. Bingo. Bison burgers for all of us. Yum yum. Just giver.
I think they paid to cross the ranch.

Probably not the best hunt to wing it, but go prepared and good luck.

How many guys preplan ther LEH hunts before they put in for a draw?
How many guys plan after they receive a LEH.
How many guys load up there typical gear and head out.

If it was me and my personal time restraints, and cost involved, I would plan, plan, plan to the best of my abilities, but keep in mind that anything could throw the planning out the window.
Who preplans, plan B, plan C, plan D.

I love it when a plan comes together. Aint gettin on that plane fool. Drink this BA. Ok?

Sorry, Jelly disease. Carefull its contagious.

G2BC

shawnwells
10-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Last minute inquiries like this are crazy. These plans should have been in place months ago.
tell me about it i been planning since summer for mine in december...

born2hunt
10-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys :) That makes me feel better. The area is A. It's actually my mom's draw. My parents are loggers and farmers so for those of you who know how that goes, a lot of things are done unplanned! My stepdad is unable to come along so with that said, half our planning went out the door!

good luck to you i hope you have a great successful hunt, look forward to the pics:)

hunterlaura
10-22-2010, 03:03 PM
tell me about it i been planning since summer for mine in december...

Thanks for the helpful info, I will take this with me on the hunt. :twisted: I'm sure you guys are the type that would be stoked if we came back with nothing.

ufishifish2
10-22-2010, 03:14 PM
:twisted: I'm sure you guys are the type that would be stoked if we came back with nothing.

Now that is just mean! I am hoping you do really well, and am sure that almost everyone here wants to see pics with grinning faces and a big hairy buff on the ground. Best of luck!

hunterlaura
10-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Now that is just mean! I am hoping you do really well, and am sure that almost everyone here wants to see pics with grinning faces and a big hairy buff on the ground. Best of luck!

That is only meant for the guys that are posting unrelated replies. To the rest that are very helpful and encouraging, THANK YOU :) means a lot.

huntcoop
10-22-2010, 03:27 PM

I had to re-read, I thought you said muff :mrgreen: .

hunterlaura
10-22-2010, 03:32 PM
I had to re-read, I thought you said muff :mrgreen: .

hahaha... everyone wants one of those on the ground don't they...

trigger
10-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Hey Laura

It is best to be over prepared for this hunt. As these are huge animals.
But having said that we are all here to help you out.

The best advice I can give is be the first person on the trail everyday. If you run into another group maybe stop and talk to them and perhaps you can travel and work out a plan together. From my experience once the heard was spooked into the timber they were gone for the day.
Now depending on what you want to kill (bull or cow) you should read and even study pics on how to identify the difference. Don't be disgouraged by a big bull not being good eating. My bull from last year was around 1500 to 1800 lbs and very good eating.
And last but not least get the animal skinned out as fast as you can with out butchering the he'll out of it. The hide holds in alot of heat, even in cold weather the meat can go bone sour.
If your into mounts and rugs take everything. Careful while skinning.
And you better post pics when you get your buff.
Best of luck to you and your fam

shawnwells
10-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the helpful info, I will take this with me on the hunt. :twisted: I'm sure you guys are the type that would be stoked if we came back with nothing.
ha ha....wasnt the case at all....but it is now.....

Vader
10-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Have a buddy up there right now working for the Outfitter.. Says for sure DO NOT LEAVE THE HIDE ON. Fastest spoiling animal he's ever seen. If you don't recover at nite or skinned out, it will be turned by morning.. Also says you wouldn't believe how much guts one of them things has in it. Mostly he says look to the timber once the hunters have been at them. Best of luck..

Mik
10-23-2010, 02:17 AM
PM sent: good Luck

swampthing
10-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Good luck hunterlaura. Above all, have fun.

boxhitch
10-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Good on ya for jumping on the challenge
Spontaneity is a good trait
Hesitation causes paralysis

hunterlaura
10-23-2010, 08:41 AM
thanks to all for the encouragement! means a lot. to the rest, I hope you feel better about yourselves with the un-encouraging comments! that's what fuels my fire to do even better!

boxhitch
10-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Don't let "em grind ya
You need a tough skin to stay on this site.

hunterlaura
10-23-2010, 09:22 AM
yeah everyone has their own way of doing things I guess. I'm not worried about it, I have a tough skin :) I'm not gonna change my ways for someone I don't know that has nothing better to do than bash people to make themselves feel better :) just looking for some advice, not criticism! maybe they are jealous because my buck this year in my pic is bigger than theirs :)

BimmerBob
10-23-2010, 09:42 AM
just looking for some advice, not criticism! maybe they are jealous because my buck this year in my pic is bigger than theirs :)

Good luck to you and your mom hunterlaura, you could be right it might be jealousy but I don't think it is because of the buck in your avatar as the picture is so small and dark it is barely distinguishable. Maybe you could post up a bigger shot of it to really get the jealous juices going? :mrgreen:

hunterlaura
10-23-2010, 09:51 AM
hahaha I was just joking :) I'll have to figure out how to post em, then I'll do so. haven't been on a hunting forum for quite some time - I used to go on huntshoot.com awhile back, it was very similar to this one.

BromBones
10-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Remember to shoot low!

The vitals are down fairly low in the chest cavity. A few guys have made the mistake of seeing that huge target, and holding on the center of mass for a shot - all that does is make a vent through the ribcage.

Either that or use a big 'boomer' and slug him through the shoulders.

Good luck.

hunterlaura
10-23-2010, 01:00 PM
she will use my .300 win mag. that should do!

Jetboat
10-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Just an update, I live north of FSJ and the weather is very socked in, we just had 3" wet snow and now they are calling for rain, sheesh. But next week is supposed to clear off...wait and see. Bring CHAINS and quality rain gear. And lottsa tarps & rope. Buffalo are where you find them. Likely see them on the highway around Pinky as well. Enjoy the country up here, we love it! Good luck to your Mom!

hunterlaura
10-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Just an update, I live north of FSJ and the weather is very socked in, we just had 3" wet snow and now they are calling for rain, sheesh. But next week is supposed to clear off...wait and see. Bring CHAINS and quality rain gear. And lottsa tarps & rope. Buffalo are where you find them. Likely see them on the highway around Pinky as well. Enjoy the country up here, we love it! Good luck to your Mom!

Thanks! We have been keeping track of the weather lately, doesn't look too pretty but we are used to it! should be an adventure!

hunterlaura
10-30-2010, 09:50 AM
well we had a GREAT trip! My mom got her buffalo on the second day! apparently the week before there were not many buffalo around so we went at a perfect time. everything just came together so perfectly. we were told the trails were so busy last week with people flyin 9-0 and hunters everywhere. it was only us and another group of 3 guys staying at the camp and we ran into one guide group. pictures to follow!

Rhyno
10-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Congrats! Can't wait to see those picts.

r106
10-30-2010, 10:10 AM
good job. can't wait to see some pics
________
Honda freed specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Freed)

375 ultramag
10-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Glad to hear your trip was successful. Need some pics....going through hunting withdrawals. Missed my up north trip this year.

trigger
10-30-2010, 12:24 PM
right on laura. congrats on a successful hunt. cant wait to see pics

Mik
10-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Fantastic! Glad to hear your mom nailed one. Can't wait to see the pictures.

hunterlaura
10-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Is there any other way to add the pictures without a URL? The only place I could post them would be on my facebook and attach a link but I have strong security settings on there that I'm sure wouldn't allow people to view them!

ruger#1
10-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Up load them to the gallery. From there you can copy and paste to here.

Brett
10-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Or use photobucket and copy the IMG link and post it here

2x4x16
10-30-2010, 08:59 PM
we are still waiting for those pics of that fat fuzzy beast!!!

born2hunt
10-30-2010, 09:29 PM
awesome ,glad to hear you gals had a successful hunt:)

curt
10-30-2010, 09:59 PM
thats great glad to hear it worked out!! Ladies with guns and camo is just too bad hot!!!:)

hunterlaura
10-30-2010, 11:20 PM
pics are coming just have to get them onto the computer!

srupp
10-31-2010, 12:30 AM
WELL DONE LAURA....damn fine job...getting it done...

cheers
Steven

Whisky Creek
11-01-2010, 09:19 PM
How's the pictures coming? Hope the snow stays up there!
Two weeks to go...

hunterlaura
11-01-2010, 10:50 PM
ok sorry guys but I don't know what it is with the photo gallery uploader! does anyone else use mozilla firefox for their browser? I'm wondering if that might be my problem!

BCrams
11-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Congrats on your trip!! With minimal planning, you pulled it off! Lots of people get skunked on those buffalo hunts every year.

Brett
11-02-2010, 06:20 AM
I use mozilla, no problem, again open a photobucket account and put the link to the pics here :)

hunterlaura
11-03-2010, 12:23 PM
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/huntingtrip095.jpg
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/huntingtrip076.jpghttp://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/huntingtrip055.jpghttp://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/huntingtrip078.jpghttp://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/huntingtrip135.jpg

hunterlaura
11-03-2010, 12:30 PM
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/huntingtrip129.jpghttp://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/huntingtrip123.jpghttp://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/huntingtrip115.jpghttp://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/huntingtrip105.jpghttp://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/huntingtrip085.jpg

hunterlaura
11-03-2010, 12:32 PM
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/huntingtrip063.jpghttp://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/huntingtrip032.jpg

doubled
11-03-2010, 12:40 PM
That is the biggest pile of antlers I have ever seen - WOW.

Nice job on the tatanka.

ufishifish2
11-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Thank you very much for the pictures HunterLaura. They are great.

Just a friendly suggestion (not a complaint) : In the future, you may want to try moving your cursor to the bottom Left hand side of the screen after attaching each picture. Then the next pics won't stack up across the page like that.
Thanks again for those awesome pics....

d6dan
11-03-2010, 12:47 PM
hunterlaura, Congrats on a nice Buffalo..I wish their was more women getting out like you..persistance pays off..Great pics by the way..thanks for sharing...

hunterlaura
11-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys. pretty beaten down paths we got to follow! the first trail with the Y in it, we came across some bow hunters, they got their kill on that one! we got ours the next day as me and Mom were following that blurry trail pic. Had to stop to shoot a grouse on the way home to camp (the day before she got her buffalo) - I KNEW mom was gonna get her kill the next day with all the tracks we saw, so I had to get mine :) it was delish!! Might have been a slight overkill on the rifle though haha!

hunterlaura
11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
and good thing we went back to get Gramps to help us out with the skinning and gutting, holy man do they ever have a PILE of guts in there! had to be a couple hundred pounds worth!

markt308
11-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Great job on the hunt and excellent pictures! Cheers

Kudu
11-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Well done to the both of you, that's a very nice buffalo - what an experience to share with your mum....

11-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Sweet!!! I want one!

hunterlaura
11-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Well done to the both of you, that's a very nice buffalo - what an experience to share with your mum....

Yeah it was a great experience to share with her! That was our first hunt together. We did all the tracking and stalking together - we left her parents behind! Like I said though, good thing we went back to get gramps because that sure is a grunt to quarter them up! and we just shot a small one! I couldn't imagine doing a big bull!

snareman1234
11-03-2010, 01:52 PM
nice which area, a b or c?

how cold was it?

Im headed there middle of dec

11-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Great Pic's ..... very cool to experience with your Mom.

Congrats to you all. !!

You stayed on the Blue Berry reserve, did they charge you 175 per person for passage, on top of the cabin rental? Or did they just charge the LEH holder.?

CT

hunterlaura
11-03-2010, 02:04 PM
nice which area, a b or c?

how cold was it?

Im headed there middle of dec

We were in A. Got to -6 to -8 at night. Warmed up to -2 to 0 everyday. it was beautiful! Email for more details if needed!

StoneChaser
11-03-2010, 02:06 PM
CONGRATS!!!!!!

This site is becoming increasingly overloaded with a heap of elitist, condescending a$$holes, and it had me grinning when I saw that you'd pulled it off.

Not bad for a hunt that you put together with less than 4 1/2 years of planning........

No whining, spot weaseling, or condescending remarks, you simply asked a steer in the right direction and got it done!

Good on ya!

hunterlaura
11-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Great Pic's ..... very cool to experience with your Mom.

Congrats to you all. !!

You stayed on the Blue Berry reserve, did they charge you 175 per person for passage, on top of the cabin rental? Or did they just charge the LEH holder.?

CT

The guy doing the shift for the month was very nice to us. He thinks that their rates are kind of outrageous, and I think if you're a nice respectful person, they will give back to you in that way. Lets just say we didn't pay the full fees we should have!

hunterlaura
11-03-2010, 02:18 PM
CONGRATS!!!!!!

This site is becoming increasingly overloaded with a heap of elitist, condescending a$$holes, and it had me grinning when I saw that you'd pulled it off.

Not bad for a hunt that you put together with less than 4 1/2 years of planning........

No whining, spot weaseling, or condescending remarks, you simply asked a steer in the right direction and got it done!

Good on ya!

Thanks :) I was pretty pleased myself! I actually think that most of what we learned while up there was on our own. And with the ease of the hunt, I would think the advice I could give to people would be very straight forward and extremely helpful! Not saying that guys on this thread didn't help, but, we figured out most of it ourselves :) If you don't mind staying on the reserve (which kicked ass by the way!) then take a left turn at Mae's kitchen til you get to the lodge, check in, and follow the trails! Simple! Anything that anyone wants to know, don't hesitate to ask!

ruger#1
11-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Nice pics Laura, Looked like you and your mom had a great trip. Never seen Pink Mountain with the snow. I was up around there a few Septembers ago, And glad to see you have gotten the picture posting figured out.

bc kid
11-03-2010, 03:26 PM
secound that talk to jamie at pmt inn awsome guy help me and my dad out last year good burgers too
Check with Jamie, at Pink Mountain Motor Inn, he is a super nice and he and his wife run a decent hotel and restraunt there.
You can stay there, or the natives with the Blueberry Band will offer cabins, about 60 per night BUT >>>>>>>> will charge you and every one else with you 175 bucks EACH just to access the land beyond them.

You can drive around with quads or sleds but it is a long way. Doable though, most go around and avoid the natives.

If having trouble finding them, head for the mountains up high, the basins, they will be there some where, some will be holed up in the dark spruce bottoms also.

Good luck to you.

CT

Peters Wildlife
11-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Awesome, awesome! Nice to see it was a successful trip. Congratulations to you and your mom! :)

bridger
11-03-2010, 04:58 PM
great hunt and really great pictures nicely done you have every right to be proud of your accomplishments. one thing i would respectfully point out tho as I feel it is important that everyone going up there after bison is aware. the land that is controlled by the blueberry indian band is not a reserve. It is a private ranch that was included with the giude outfitters license and area they bought a few years ago. It was originally owned by lynn ross the original outfitter it the area. just a bit of history and clarification. again congrats on a great accomplishment.

curt
11-03-2010, 05:36 PM
that pic of the antler pile is very cool!!!

Buck
11-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Congrats on the hunt. Nice to see those pictures i''ll be there Dec 3 can't wait.

Tank
11-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Great pics. Very entertaining thread, start to finish!

Rattler
11-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Great job! Thanks for sharing....

dougan
11-03-2010, 06:53 PM
CONGRATS!!!!!!

Good on ya!
x two couldnt agree more way to go!!!!!!!!!!!:-D

gon_fishn
11-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Need a partner?

xian
11-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Hey there, I had a friend who went up there for 10 days and just got back his draw was for the 16 -31st. He said a lot of the Bison had been pushed up in to the trees and were hard to find, prefering to stick to the thick bush. His plan, one goes in to the bush and tries to push them through to the open meadows or on to a road. The Bison were shot up pretty hard in the first two week opening and are pretty skiddish. Cover alot of road on the quad and look for sign, then push bush. Good Luck and have fun l;et us know how it goes!

girlhunter1
11-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Atta girls, congrats, goes to show you us girls can hunt!

Brett
11-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Wicked!!!!!!

hunterlaura
11-03-2010, 10:15 PM
great hunt and really great pictures nicely done you have every right to be proud of your accomplishments. one thing i would respectfully point out tho as I feel it is important that everyone going up there after bison is aware. the land that is controlled by the blueberry indian band is not a reserve. It is a private ranch that was included with the giude outfitters license and area they bought a few years ago. It was originally owned by lynn ross the original outfitter it the area. just a bit of history and clarification. again congrats on a great accomplishment.

Sorry I stand corrected! I did know that piece of information, we got a bit of the history while we were up there and it's quite interesting!

hunterlaura
11-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Great pics. Very entertaining thread, start to finish!

Haha - that, it has been!!!!! :)

hunterlaura
11-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Hey there, I had a friend who went up there for 10 days and just got back his draw was for the 16 -31st. He said a lot of the Bison had been pushed up in to the trees and were hard to find, prefering to stick to the thick bush. His plan, one goes in to the bush and tries to push them through to the open meadows or on to a road. The Bison were shot up pretty hard in the first two week opening and are pretty skiddish. Cover alot of road on the quad and look for sign, then push bush. Good Luck and have fun l;et us know how it goes!

read the whole thread, start to finish :)

we went up the 2nd week of that same draw. apparently the buffalo weren't around for the first week. they were EVERYWHERE when we were there. only 2 groups of hunters around as well. it was very easy to find them with all the tracking we did, and fingers in the shit piles to see if they were warm! the 1 group of hunters got 3 by bow last Tuesday, we got ours wednesday, left thursday afternoon, and haven't been in touch with the other group. They were around!

lorneparker1
11-03-2010, 10:24 PM
any girl that sticks her fingers in buffalo crap is good in my books! Good on yah!

The Hermit
11-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Happy for you! Bet the whole family celebrated!

coach
11-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks :) I was pretty pleased myself! I actually think that most of what we learned while up there was on our own. And with the ease of the hunt, I would think the advice I could give to people would be very straight forward and extremely helpful! Not saying that guys on this thread didn't help, but, we figured out most of it ourselves :) If you don't mind staying on the reserve (which kicked ass by the way!) then take a left turn at Mae's kitchen til you get to the lodge, check in, and follow the trails! Simple! Anything that anyone wants to know, don't hesitate to ask!

A huge congratulations to you, Hunterlaura! I admit I was one of the first to question why you would ask for advice only a few days before leaving on a hunt that most people plan several months in advance for. You showed a ton of moxie in how you responded to comments and you did a hell of a job figuring things out. Your story and pictures are very impressive - well done!

hunterlaura
11-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Happy for you! Bet the whole family celebrated!

did we ever - we met the other group that was staying at the ranch, "pokey" is on this site, what a great guy! me and Mom stayed up pretty late and celebrated with their group! what a great help they were, thanks pokey, and email the damn pictures you have already!

hunterlaura
11-04-2010, 08:25 AM
A huge congratulations to you, Hunterlaura! I admit I was one of the first to question why you would ask for advice only a few days before leaving on a hunt that most people plan several months in advance for. You showed a ton of moxie in how you responded to comments and you did a hell of a job figuring things out. Your story and pictures are very impressive - well done!

thanks! but ya know, was just lookin' for a little last minute tip or 2, no big deal! some sure thought it was, but hey, that's my goal, to prove people wrong! I wish I had half an hour to write out the whole story, because, it all went perfect!

hunterlaura
11-04-2010, 06:18 PM
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/46303_442105257273_505467273_5830126_483915_n.jpg

my 2010 baby non typical 4 point! just thought I'd share - not the best picture but it was taken with my phone!

stubbs
11-04-2010, 06:57 PM
i just love it , get a draw and then get pissed because you can't info where to go

BCLongshot
11-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Smokin job !

ramron
11-04-2010, 07:22 PM
I think I'm in love. Will you marry me.

Mik
11-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Awesome Pics, sounds like you had a great time up there. Once again, Congrats, to all of you :-D. Looks like a great set of horns.
The pic of the head doesnt look like it had enough cape for a shoulder mount, unless it was tucked underneath? Are ya thinkin of gettin it mounted?

hunterlaura
11-04-2010, 09:17 PM
I think I'm in love. Will you marry me.

if you can keep up!

hunterlaura
11-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Awesome Pics, sounds like you had a great time up there. Once again, Congrats, to all of you :-D. Looks like a great set of horns.
The pic of the head doesnt look like it had enough cape for a shoulder mount, unless it was tucked underneath? Are ya thinkin of gettin it mounted?

my Mom is doing a skull mount that she is doing herself - and my deer...is sitting on my deck getting a little ripe, boiling it and doing a european might be good for a little gagging hahaha! I would like to do a do it yourself european also! Hang er on the shed type thing..wouldn't want that cool rack to go to waste!

Mik
11-04-2010, 11:38 PM
my Mom is doing a skull mount that she is doing herself - and my deer...is sitting on my deck getting a little ripe, boiling it and doing a european but be good for a little gagging hahaha! I would like to do a do it yourself european also! Hang er on the shed type thing..wouldn't want that cool rack to do to waste!
WoW, sounds like the both of you have it under control, awesome.:cool:

BiG Boar
11-05-2010, 07:52 AM
I guess I'm not hardcore hunter enough for this website!!!!

PM that too BCrams with pictures of the buffalo....haha

lightmag
11-05-2010, 08:45 AM
any girl that sticks her fingers in buffalo crap is good in my books! Good on yah!

kinda turns me on.......

hunterlaura
11-05-2010, 09:27 AM
PM that too BCrams with pictures of the buffalo....haha

he's probably pretending this thread is non-existent!

trigger
11-05-2010, 11:17 AM
nice buffalo. congrats

hunterlaura
11-05-2010, 11:42 AM
kinda turns me on.......

hahaha never thought I'd hear that!!

kwasky
11-05-2010, 12:04 PM
way to go. way to stick in there and just do it. its pretty cool you got to do it with your mom too. nice job!

tomahawk
11-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Good stuff, best eatin steaks, roasts and burger of the ungulates!!

Jelvis
12-13-2010, 08:21 PM
WoW any news on the hunts up there?

Caveman
12-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Not sure how I missed this thread, but great Buffalo, Congrats!!! Well Done!!

Johnnybear
12-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Congrats on the Buffalo big time:-D. This is a Cinderella story (in a Bill Murray kind of way) for sure. I read the thread backwards.

Good on you for getting out there and getting it done. It was great that folks posted up some good information and tried helping you the best they could.

troutseeker
12-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Congratulations to your mom and yourself on a nice buffalo!

M.Dean
12-13-2010, 09:47 PM
A very well earned Trophy!!! Congrats to you and your Mother on a very successful Buffalo Hunt!!!

open-sights
12-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Don't know how I missed this thread the first time around, takes all kinds. Great job and Congrats to you both on the harvest!

Ogopogo
12-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Congrats on the nice animal, must be some damn good grub.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-13-2010, 11:39 PM
WoW any news on the hunts up there?
there should be a few stories to come from hbc'ers ...some lucky one's for sure....:-D

hunterlaura
12-14-2010, 09:00 AM
thanks guys. I think we got a little lucky with the weather, compared to the other guys posting about their hunts! Maybe got down to -10 at the most. We had the time of our lives. And damn is that meat ever great!

anglo-saxon
12-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Late entry due to being out of town...

Well, I have to say what a quality thread. Best one I've read on here for many moons!

Laura: Many congratulations on both your excellent hunt and on the way you have handled yourself on this forum. Very well done! You are clearly not only a gutsy young lady, but you seem to have some considerable style and finesse. Certainly you responded to the "nay-sayers" with dignity and poise AND you came out on top. Good for you. I'm sure your Mom was enormously pleased with her hunt (who wouldn't be). But I'd be willing to put money on her being far more pleased with her girl.

It is a sad fact that every public online forum has its fair share of "pond life" and this forum is no exception. I have learned to ignore the dross and drivel spouted so quickly by those whose lower nature seems to have got the better of them. From the arogant to the ignorant, we will always have them as our cross to bear; an unfortunate fact of forum-dwelling. You seem to handle them very well, though. Good for you. My mother used to say, "ignore them and they'll go away." One can but hope!

I do hope you stick around as a forum member. No doubt you will have lots of good stuff to share in the future.

Finally, congrats to your mom for raising a good'n.

Regards,

hunterlaura
12-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Late entry due to being out of town...

Well, I have to say what a quality thread. Best one I've read on here for many moons!

Laura: Many congratulations on both your excellent hunt and on the way you have handled yourself on this forum. Very well done! You are clearly not only a gutsy young lady, but you seem to have some considerable style and finesse. Certainly you responded to the "nay-sayers" with dignity and poise AND you came out on top. Good for you. I'm sure your Mom was enormously pleased with her hunt (who wouldn't be). But I'd be willing to put money on her being far more pleased with her girl.

It is a sad fact that every public online forum has its fair share of "pond life" and this forum is no exception. I have learned to ignore the dross and drivel spouted so quickly by those whose lower nature seems to have got the better of them. From the arogant to the ignorant, we will always have them as our cross to bear; an unfortunate fact of forum-dwelling. You seem to handle them very well, though. Good for you. My mother used to say, "ignore them and they'll go away." One can but hope!

I do hope you stick around as a forum member. No doubt you will have lots of good stuff to share in the future.

Finally, congrats to your mom for raising a good'n.

Regards,

Well said, and I thank you for the kind words! I've grown up with some pretty broad shoulders so it can be hard for people to get under my skin! The best part of it all was proving those guys wrong. I hope we get to do it again and again! I think the guys that sit there and criticize others on here having nothing better to do and have some self issues so they're trying to make themselves feel better.

12-15-2010, 10:14 AM
You right Buddy,
I remembered it worse. Re read it, shoulda kept my nose out of it.. But i didnt.

I dont want to remind you of your wife.

Still though it is a good buff.... Edit, re below

budismyhorse
12-15-2010, 11:47 AM
And the way you did it was grand!
Get told you are being a poor planner, people who do this are wasting a tag some other "Good" hunter could use.

And then going up and shooting your Buff!!! Kinda like proving Dad wrong for the first time.

loved every minute of it

Wow.......2 or three posts suggested she should have planned earlier.....and all of this DRAMA ensues....??!!?!

What a thread.......

BTW.....no one told her she was a poor planner and no one said she was wasting a tag some other "Good" hunter could use............835....you remind me of my wife the way you are making stuff up here.

however, congrats! Great job getting a nice Bison! Cool photo of the herd down below you! Gives a real sense for the type of hunt it was. It isn't just driving around and blasting one out the window.

buck slayer 642
12-15-2010, 11:49 AM
lots of game up there my friend shot a huge moose up there :-D

kennyj
12-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Congratulations on your sucessfull hunt. Glad it all went well.
kenny

hunterlaura
12-16-2010, 10:42 AM
I would love to go back even for a moose or elk hunt, beautiful country, came onto some elk on a mountain side while tracking buffalo. Saw a nice moose but wasn't legal. Hopefully next year we can meet up with some of you guys!

hunterlaura
01-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I thought I should share the finished product of the skull mount. We ended up getting our friend Heidi at Blue Mountain Taxidermy to do it, my Mom didn't trust herself! And I also realized I didn't post much of a story, only told it to people that PM'd me.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/buffalo.jpg

hunterlaura
01-19-2011, 03:08 PM
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x348/hunterlaura1/buffalo.jpgthis was taken with my phone, it's the best I can do right now :)

hunterlaura
01-19-2011, 03:40 PM
So first thing, we took the pink mtn. road that is right across the road from Mae's kitchen, which is a few kms past Mel and Meg's kitchen if you come from Hudson Hope way. We kept following the road, (felt like we were going nowhere, but took the advice of a friendly man at the post office/general store etc..) eventually we got to a cattle guard and an info sign. We carried on through, pretty sure we were in the right place, even through the no tresspassing signs, till we saw the big log lodge on the right. We arrived at the blueberry indian band ranch! We checked in with a man they called "Guy". The "guy" was so nice and gave us a good deal on the cabin and gate fee. I think this is definitely the best way to go, as the way to get around apparently takes A LONG time! and a terrible trail. Anyway, the cabin was perfect and mouse free, the guy was super nice, and the country is absolutely gorgeous. So from the cabin we stayed in, we rode the quads down the beaten path. I think the best place to go is about 26 km down, there is a fork in the road - if you carry on straight, you come to a big opening that we found tracks EVERYWHERE. We followed some along the treeline on the left but ran into a bow hunter hiding in the bush that said he had 2 hunters coming towards us trying to bring the herd in. We turned around and headed back to the quads and waited to see if they would come around. We waited 2 hours and nothing, so we back tracked and noticed the herd crossed about 400 yards up the hill and we never even heard them! We did some tracking up a mountain and saw some that got pushed up about a mile from us. As we turned to head back down, we looked down across the valley, and we noticed some down below in a meadow, so me and Mom walked up to the fork in the road and took the left road down a fairly steep hill, where you will come to what they call horse camp. There are 3 cabins in there that were unoccupied. We followed the trail and came to another meadow with tracks everywhere, but the animals got moved out again from the bow hunters. We gave up on that area to stay out of their way. So, I killed a grouse for dinner on the trail back. The weather was alright, didn't see the sun but it was calm. The 2nd day, we quaded 24 km out and all of a sudden my mom locked up her brakes because she saw a few asses run into the bush - so from there we walked 1 km down the road and saw a beaten path through the trees on the left (the blurry picture I posted) and walked in about 300 yards and there they were! One shot and she was down, we took a young cow. So we had to chainsaw our way in a bit to get the quad and trailer through but it was no big deal. The temperatures dropped down to -6 to -8 at night, and warmed up to about 0 during the day. The snow depth was about 6 inches - you can sled or quad, but if you have horses that would be so perfect. My mom kept saying she wishes she would have brought our horses instead! You can get higher up to where the bigger bulls are. And you can get to them if the hunters chase them up the mtn (which seemed to be the case at the time we were there) and would be way easier to pack out by horse! We saw more than enough grizz and wolf tracks! Saw one grizz ass disappear over a knoll on our way out with the meat. We woke up to such a beautiful day the next day, if gramps wasn't so tired from helping us, we would have gone for an elk, we glassed tons of em!