PDA

View Full Version : SPOT Activation

Walksalot
10-22-2010, 07:59 AM
How many guys purchase the additional Search and Rescue Benefit when activating their Spot units? I am thinking of opting for the Basic Service only.

Slee
10-22-2010, 08:03 AM
If your going to use it out of country it might be a good idea to get the extra insurance. If your just going to use it here then search and rescue services is free.......

JeffR
10-22-2010, 08:11 AM
I did a google search before activating mine a came up with a promo code that gave me free tracking for a year.

When activating the SPOT it didn't list the tracking feature as active, but sure enough, it works.

Sitkaspruce
10-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Basic service for me. All the other stuff is useless for me as I do not want to have it track me and the S&R stuff is free here in BC.

I do like the roadside assistance, but then I would not be able to push the help button while way back in the bush and the truck is stuck etc. It is something I need to figure out.

Still the best piece of mind for my wife while I am out in the bush.

Cheers

SS

Mr. Dean
10-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Still the best piece of mind for my wife while I am out in the bush.
SS

x2

And nah, I don't use it out of country so I stick to the 'basic' plan.

Walksalot
10-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
The family is giving me a hard time as far as me hunting by myself.

Tenacious Billy
10-22-2010, 10:00 AM
I went with the basic. When you send out the "check-in" feature it sends your co-ordinates anyways....do that a few times and you'll have a general idea of the course you've travelled. That tracking feature puts a pretty serious drain on your battery life anyways. Cheers.

bigwhiteys
10-22-2010, 10:37 AM
How many guys purchase the additional Search and Rescue Benefit when activating their Spot units? I am thinking of opting for the Basic Service only.
I paid the $8.00 or whatever it was... It covers you for upto $100,000 (2 occurences of $50,000 each) per year of private rescue.

So if for any reason SAR or other emergency services couldn't get to you in reasonable time they would hire the nearest private contractor for a rescue and pay up to $50,000 for that rescue. It's not anything related to the "tracking" feature which I have found to be quite useless as already stated.

Carl

Tenacious Billy
10-22-2010, 10:39 AM
I paid the $8.00 or whatever it was... It covers you for upto $100,000 (2 occurences of $50,000 each) per year of private rescue.

So if for any reason SAR or other emergency services couldn't get to you in reasonable time they would hire the nearest private contractor for a rescue and pay up to $50,000 for that rescue. It's not anything related to the "tracking" feature which I have found to be quite useless as already stated.

Carl

I didn't know that little tid-bit of info......might have to look into that.

JeffR
10-22-2010, 05:25 PM
The thing I liked about the tracking feature is it is linked to the SPOT adventure website. You can set it up so anyone can track your location, not just people on your emergency contact list. Someone can search for your page on the website and anytime you are out on a hunt they can check the site and see your route.

The other cool part of the tracking feature is you can upload any photos you took onto the webpage, it reads the time and date the photo was taken and then assigns it to your location at the time the photo was taken. It also give you some limited stats such as average speed, distance traveled, etc.

Check out http://www.spotadventures.com/ to see what I mean. Considering you can get this for free for a year with the promo codes on line, it is worth checking out.

I didn't find the battery usage too bad. I have probably put 8 days of tracking on mine and I am on the original set of batteries still.

Walksalot
10-23-2010, 08:43 AM
I am trying to activate a Spot account and I am getting this message
Username should be between 5 and 30 characters and can have only alphanumerics, underscore and period What the hell does that mean?

Tenacious Billy
10-23-2010, 01:44 PM
It means you can't have a bunch of stupid symbols in your user-name.....just numbers, letters an underscore and/or a period.

Walksalot
10-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Hey guys, when I enter my phone number it tells me I have an invalid format. I am entering my residential and cell numbers as primary and secondary. I am entering my numbers as xxx-xxx-xxxx.