PDA

View Full Version : Questions For Treestand Hunters

leadpillproductions
10-21-2010, 09:41 PM
What do you guys do not to spook deer when getting into and out of your treestand.

The Dawg
10-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Be quiet.

:mrgreen:

digger dogger
10-21-2010, 09:56 PM
why ya gettin out early?

leadpillproductions
10-21-2010, 10:18 PM
why ya gettin out early?
going in at dark and out at dark but there only 60 yrds away

digger dogger
10-21-2010, 10:41 PM
tough! maybe a E-caller "fawn in distress" in a different area to take there attention away from you!

If you aren't bothering them they will get used to you and your smell!
There are 5 resident does around my place they don't mind me at all, I am the guy leaving the treats. they have seen me and my kids and a buddy shoot bucks infront of them for 5 seasons. Bucks will come for the residents once the rut hits! :-)

hunter1947
10-22-2010, 02:56 AM
Get there early if I spook them thats the way it goes ,there is lots of time left over the next 3 or 4 hours for more to show up.

Same goes for the evening get into your tree stand 3 hour before you loose shooting light..

aggiehunter
10-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Stay still when your up there...seriously still

Ddog
10-23-2010, 06:10 PM
after years of treestand hunting, one of my main concerns is spooking the animals when in the stand, getting in and out of the stand i have always just gone in slow and deliberate, i have had , on many different occasions, animals watch me then just go about their business. i have also scared animals out of the area when getting in and out, but most times they end up coming back in time.
after i have scared animals off, it never seems to affect the area for any length of time.

J_T
10-24-2010, 07:16 AM
I agree with Aggie and DDog. We spend a lot of time in stands. Sometimes your problem is the location of the stand. You don't want to be setting up in the bedding area. Getting in, just go in slow, quiet and deliberate, just get there and get in. If it's a feeding area, bump them and they'll be back. If it's a bedding area, bump them out of there and they'll bed somewhere else. But sitting still is so important. You always want to look around, but that can work against you. They pick up on noise you don't hear yourself make and they see movement you don't think you make. I see a lot more animals when I don't worry about trying to see behind me and just sit still. Arrow on the string and ready. I'm thinking of rigging up a couple of rear view mirrors in my stand for my back trail.

lightmag
10-24-2010, 07:42 AM
i'm planning on putting up 2 this summer, both will have routes in that don't bother the area i'm watching, like a trail thru the heavy timber to the stand that over looks a block/swamp.

doubled
10-24-2010, 08:15 AM
One guy swears on going in as fast and as quick as he can in the dark. Says the deer probably think it's other animals horsing around. He always seems to do well so not disagreeing with him, thats for sure.

waserwolf
10-24-2010, 01:55 PM
i apply doe scent to the bottom of my boots, go in in the dark, the trail they use coming into my treestand area has some trees between myself and the deer. The doe scent idea worked well last year, the buck I shot was right on top of my boot tracks.

greybark
10-25-2010, 01:40 PM
:wink: Cut back on the Beans and Cabbage .:-D
Cheers

Ruger4
10-25-2010, 01:49 PM
if you've got something on the ground that they like 60 yards away and you spook 'em, they'll be back

aggiehunter
10-25-2010, 07:09 PM
ps...I saw an article where a guy actually raked out his trail to get there...I always clip mine out as to avoid hitting crackly limbs on the way in.

greybark
10-25-2010, 09:21 PM
:wink: Hey Leadpill , when leaving your treestand wait till it is quite dark . WT generally will not leave the area due to noise alone and sighting will skatter them .
I f you have bright nocks on your arrows (some glow) place a cover over them . I leave my arrow case up in the stand and closed to keep rain and snow off the feathers .
Cheers