PDA

View Full Version : first ever elk..

1 shot 1 kill
10-21-2010, 07:39 PM
it was a great hunt..really enjoyed it...we got up tp chetwynd saturday around 12 noon..got camp set up by 2 and out for a scout around the area. by dark my brother had raced back to camp saying he shot at a big bull elk but lost him int he tree's when it got dark. we went back sunday morning to where he thought he last heard it crash! boy was he wrong..i got on to a small blood trail leading away from where he had last seen it for sure, and from there into the tree's. it wasnt a big blood trail but enough so that i could find dropps every 5-10 feet apart. my brother and i grabbed our backpacks with some gear and headed out. we hiked around in the trees for 3 hrs..busting him out of bed once before. he would leave some blood in his bed that amounted to a pool almost..other that that it was pretty thinly spaced let me tell ya. we had thought about turning back a few times as we had some spots where he went thru swamps etc where we lost the few drops we were finding, but then we would find a few areas where there was decent blood enough to make us keep going.
we hiked around checking our GSP to make sure it was tracking us along our epic journey..when low and behold...up pops the bull about 30 yards out front of us!! i raise my rifle and wham 1 thru the right side of his chest..he stumbles when wham my brother hits him thru the left side of his chest..down he goes..One more in the neck and the high fives began!! WE WERE STOKED..our first ever elk, and to make it better we tracked him for 3 hrs thru everything swamps thicks u name it..but in the end our stubborness netted us a bull elk.
i was checking my GPS and was very relieved to see that the nite before i was on a quad trail not more than 100 yards away from the site!!! wicked!! we hiked out got our quads and came back in for the elk. we cut some downed trees and rode right up the bull and dragged him out whole about 1 mile or so down the trail to the road over a home made bridge that crossed a deep muddy creek!! darn no pics wasnt thinking at the time..and out the truck where our dad was waiting for us..we loaded him up and went back to camp.
the next day on monday we hunted a different area in the morning seeing only deer and moose..and in the evening we went to another location we had a feeling about..i hiked around for a bit and just got back to my quad and off down a trail when a cow elk popped out in front of me..i took aim and wham 1 shot down she goes..my dad was on the radio coming over when wham cow elk 2 goes down...it was awsome we all got our elk!
wish we had more time to hunt around but i we were more than willing to take 3 elk in 2 days hunting and go home as the weather warmed right up!!
looking forward to next year we might go earlier for GOS moose and opening elk..
good luck to everyone else..may your lead fly true!!

NOT TO SURE WHY PICS WONT POST!! TO LARGE I GUESS I DONT KNOW HOW TO SHRINK THEM IF SOME ONE DOES CAN YOU POST THEM FOR ME? THERE IN MY GALLERY? I ONLY HAVE A FEW IN THERE..THANKS!! I AM SUCH A DUMMY...HAHA

rocksteady
10-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Two thumbs up for getting on the trail of the wounded bull, staying with him and dispatching him...That shows respect for the critters that we love...

Isn't elk hunting fun????

Looking forward to the pics...

bridger
10-21-2010, 07:52 PM
nice story about a great time. congrats on keeping on the trail and gathering up that bull.

The Dawg
10-21-2010, 07:53 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/scotts_deer_and_ELK_2010_023.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20766&limit=recent)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/scotts_deer_and_ELK_2010_026.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20768&limit=recent)

Caveman
10-21-2010, 07:57 PM
You're hooked!! Great Job! Enjoy those steaks!!

1 shot 1 kill
10-21-2010, 08:04 PM
to say I m hooked on ELK hunting in an understatement!!
thanks NoahDawg for posting those for me..i gotta figure that part out still!!
it was along treck but we got the bull..it made it so worth while i tell ya what a great feeling...2 brothers deep in the woods..slapping hands and cheering out loud!! funny stuff...thanks everyone for the kind words regarding the work we put it to find that wounded bull...just for the record..the bull was hit in the right leg just above the knee joint but didnt hit bone..he was moving at the time my brother took the first shot..and he has been out of hunting for over 15yrs and gets buck fever pretty bad!!! hahahahaha

rocksteady
10-21-2010, 08:09 PM
just for the record..the bull was hit in the right leg just above the knee joint but didnt hit bone..he was moving at the time my brother took the first shot..and he has been out of hunting for over 15yrs and gets buck fever pretty bad!!! hahahahaha

Irregardless of how the bad shot happened, cause we all have shat go sideways once in a while, I commend you both for tracking him down and completing the harvest...Good ethics...

10-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Great job. Nothing like a freezer full of elk.

1 shot 1 kill
10-21-2010, 08:17 PM
thanks rocksteady...appreciate it...our dad was a great mentor and we grew up with right in that department..i thank him for that

shawnwells
10-21-2010, 09:54 PM
nice elk..congrats

Photonuts
10-21-2010, 10:07 PM
congrats! nice going

BimmerBob
10-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Congrats to you, your brother and your dad on a highly successful elk hunt in the great Peace country. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

ydouask
10-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Great family hunt. I'm sure it will be replayed for generations to come !

gutpile
10-21-2010, 11:20 PM
I wounder if that is legal to shoot two elk?

1 shot 1 kill
10-22-2010, 09:00 AM
well consider the the bull was already hit..and we followed a blood trail and myself and my brother both shot once to finish him off before he ran again...yes it is legal! i shot a wounded animal nothing more..and yes i did shoot a cow as well on my own..and my dad shot a cow his own..i hope that clears it up for you!!!

rocksteady
10-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Just ignore the troll, he is trying to bait you into something, or just cause this thread to go sideways...

Don't let it take away from your great hunt...

watson721
10-22-2010, 11:37 AM
good job on a nice elk

bearslayer01
10-22-2010, 12:04 PM
just curious where can u shoot 5 point elk

goatdancer
10-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Nice elk. Good to see you stick it out and catch up to him after wounding him. that's the way it should be done.

rifleman
10-22-2010, 01:00 PM
good on ya for staying on the blood trail & recovering a wounded animal.
congrats on all the elk meat.

budismyhorse
10-22-2010, 01:20 PM
great job.....a good example of sticking to a blood trail!

lots of people would have turned around. good for you guys.

trigger
10-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Awesome man. Congrats