PDA

View Full Version : Utah Mule Deer Hunt in progress

David Heitsman
10-21-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm currently logged in on an Alaska Airlines flight to Salt Lake City out of Bellingham. Will drive over to Vernon, Utah which is a couple hoursdrive into the desert SW of SLC.

My outfitter here is Lone Tree Outfitters and they arranged a land owner mule deer tag in a trophy zone for me this next week. I had driven thru here on my way to Nevada for a lion hunt in early winter 09. Couldn't believe the number of 180 class deer I saw just from the road.

So now I'm going to be looking for one for myself. The outfitter has sent me a few trail cam pic of two different bucks that will nudge 200. Be nice to get on one that size but I'm also looking forward to hiking these western landscapes again. I've mentioned it here before but I always
feel like I've just wandered onto a John Wayne movie set when I'm hunting down there.

The weather is calling for sleet and snow for a few days so had to pack the rain gear. (Thought I'd seen enough rain this fall after that typhoon week in the Queen Charlottes earlier this month.)

Not sure if I'll have internet access where I'm headed but if so I'll do a bit of a blog every day.

srupp
10-21-2010, 07:10 PM
hmmmm dont know which Im more jealous of...

David Heitsman...

David Marsh....

Both you gentlemen live charmed lives..

good hunting, straight shooting and thanks for taking us along sounds like a exceptional opportunity...

cheers
Steven

lilhoss
10-21-2010, 08:03 PM
so you have trail cam pictures? of a couple 200 score caliber bucks? what we aren't friends anymore? share man, share!Sounds like a great trip.

Blainer
10-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Good luck!
Look forward to the tale & PICTURES.

Beaverhunter
10-21-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm currently logged in on an Alaska Airlines flight to Salt Lake City out of Bellingham. Will drive over to Vernon, Utah which is a couple hoursdrive into the desert SW of SLC.

My outfitter here is Lone Tree Outfitters and they arranged a land owner mule deer tag in a trophy zone for me this next week. I had driven thru here on my way to Nevada for a lion hunt in early winter 09. Couldn't believe the number of 180 class deer I saw just from the road.

So now I'm going to be looking for one for myself. The outfitter has sent me a few trail cam pic of two different bucks that will nudge 200. Be nice to get on one that size but I'm also looking forward to hiking these western landscapes again. I've mentioned it here before but I always
feel like I've just wandered onto a John Wayne movie set when I'm hunting down there.

The weather is calling for sleet and snow for a few days so had to pack the rain gear. (Thought I'd seen enough rain this fall after that typhoon week in the Queen Charlottes earlier this month.)

Not sure if I'll have internet access where I'm headed but if so I'll do a bit of a blog every day.

Thats sounds like real hunting to me.

mark
10-21-2010, 08:44 PM
they arranged a land owner mule deer tag in a trophy zone for me

So is this a high fenced, canned hunt???
Or an area not open for others to hunt??

If so, how could a hunt like that feel rewarding???

Gateholio
10-21-2010, 09:01 PM
From what I understand, many areas of western states are only open to mule deer hunting via LEH or a land owner tag. I think land owner tags are given to eligible owners that maintain good deer habitat, and they sell them to offset costs. I could be wrong about that, but I am sure the Utah Wildlife dept website could explain the criteria used.

You could check the outfitters website for fence info, but I think high fencing big ranches in Utah would be impractical, but you never know...

1/2 slam
10-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Good luck Dave. Shoot a hog.

For those who really need to know this is not a high fenced hunt or a canned hunt. It's open to anyone, just buy the permit.

Brambles
10-21-2010, 10:28 PM

No i don't think its like that, but I guarantee landowner tags in prime trophy units ain't cheap......but that doesn't matter to Dave, If I had half his money...........Id BURN all mine....LOL

srupp
10-21-2010, 10:48 PM
lol @ Brambles...

steven

Stone Sheep Steve
10-22-2010, 04:01 AM
Here's a link to their website.

http://www.lonetreeoutfitters.com/muledeerhunts.htm

Enjoy the country and hunt, Dave!

SSS

David Heitsman
10-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Logged in for a minute here. Hunting close to 7,000# level and it was pretty much a mixture of sleet and hail interspersed with sideways rain
from dawn till about 1:00. Of course there's no trees that high for shelter
but that is still where the deer are. They brouse on the willow and cottonwood leaves.

Saw around 50 head today with about 20 bucks. One I needed only about 10 seconds more and would have taken. I just couldn't see his fronts till the last possible second thru my binos and there wasn't time to get a shot away. We thought he'd maybe go mid 180's. He just walked off into the fog and I couldn't get back on him.

Kicked up a bachelor herd of 6 bucks with two reasonables in it and tried to watch where they were headed as there are two other hunters from CA
here that if given some time and better weather might be able to get up to them.

Slid off the hill at 1:30 and drove a few miles to a flatter area. Of course we looked back to the peaks we had come from and they were gleaming
in the sunshine. Go figure.

'Sposed to snow tonight which should make it interesting. There is a storm watch anouncement calling for 3' of snow at 8'000#. That could start some movement perhaps.

"Base Camp" is their home which is a log house within an hour of where we are hunting allthough the area we are licensed for encompasses their property as well. The outfitter knows I like to mountain hunt so we'll stay in the hills as long as possible.

I'll post some more tomorrow if I get a chance. Right now just glad to be in out of the rain.

1/2 slam
10-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Sounds good David. I can't wait to see the big one when you get back :-D

David Heitsman
10-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Got weathered out today.

Made the climb same as yesterday but the top was still shrouded in fog. Caught a glance of two deer in our binos that we couldn't sex because the fog rolled down on them before we could get the spotting scope up.

Hiked to a point where we could see in when the fog lifted and there was a 4 X 3 buck bedded right in the rivlet in the draw where all we could see was ears and horns. His horns were outside his ears a bit but he was thin. Thinking that the other deer I had seen may be another bedded and invisible buck we waited an hour for the rain to stop and the fog lift.

Neither was imminent so we worked over a hogs back and up stright into the driving rain till we were within 150 yards and yet well downwind of the
bedded deer. Here we tried to hide behind a foot high chunk of sagebrush
to get out of the wind and hope the fog would lift. At one point the visibility was down to 50 yards from the driven rain and fog blowing across us.

Eventually the wind and rain ebbed our energy and no amount of pushups was going to keep us warm. I had full rubber rain gear on top of my goretex but not enough layers on to stay any longer. After another hour of that we eased off downwind and called it a day.

Got back to the ranch around 2:00, cleaned up and went over to Lehi and the Cabelas store. The other two with us have never been to one before
and they really enjoyed the experience.

Nice to see a weather change tomorrow but I don't expect the snow as it is still 50 degrees out in the valley.

Oh and for the record.
Utah does not have any 'high fence' deer hunting. There is some high fence elk operations but no deer. A guaranteed land owner tag simply means your guaranteed a tag, doesn't mean your guaranteed an animal.
I have applied in this area for 5 years now and as a non resident of the state I will need to wait a few more years before I am likely to draw. In this particular area the residents need to apply for about 5 years to get drawn. Some earlier and some later of course but your odds are it will take 5 years to draw.

Outfitters here do not have areas or quotas like BC. They operate to help the people who draw the tags or act as brokers to help the ranchers (landowners) sell their tags. The ranchers are given some game tags to help with their cash flow and to provide access to otherwise closed areas. The tags are also incentives to run less cattle and maintain water in the desert areas. Selling the tags also keeps them from subdividing into ranchettes which of course are highly detrimental to deer and elk migrations.

See what happens tomorrow.

Kudu
10-24-2010, 09:19 PM

Wow!!

Assumptions like that can only really have a sad ending .......

Have you ever hunted in Utah?

hntcrazy
10-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Deer land owner tags run anywhere from 3500us to around 20,000.00usd

BCrams
10-25-2010, 01:40 PM
In this particular area the residents need to apply for about 5 years to get drawn. Some earlier and some later of course but your odds are it will take 5 years to draw.

Sounds like nice country down there Dave.

I think everyone can agree how lucky we are to have quality trophy hunting for big mule deer bucks in British Columbia with GOS over the counter tags!!

That would suck having to wait 5 years to draw for resident hunters.

Manglinmike
10-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Hey Dave,or should I say rain man, sounds like you have done some homework and got yourself into a great area. Looking forward to the pics,some real stomppers come out of there every year.

GoatGuy
10-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Sure hope it works out for ya and you find the buck you're looking for.

Left a 165-170 and a 180-190 typical out there for ya a couple weeks ago if it doesn't.

David Heitsman
10-26-2010, 08:01 PM
The country here is so vast. The canyons are so wide with very little cover. It is certainly rifleman's country.

Missed on a 180 ish deer yesterday that had trash off his right side. Of course he went right over this 8500' pass and up we went tracking him in the snow. Once over the other side he broaded right to the valley floor never looking back or breaking his stride for about three miles. We followed as well as we could but once he got to the valley and the cedars I lost track of him in with all the other deer.

Today climed over another saddle in the snow to find two nice bucks bedded 2000' below in the valley floor. We've been seeing deer in the heads all the time this week and so down we went after them.
Both were 4 X 4 typs.

One was heavier and would nudge 190. Best I could get to him was 325 yards and as I was setting up the sticks he stood knowing something must be up. Rather than look and check us out he stotted dead away and turned at 428 yards. It was close to 45 degrees downhill and I couldn't get solid as I was sliding dowhill on a canyon slope as I was trying to get on him. I missed and he bolted into the trees.

He was two canyons away and it took us 30 minutes to get over and try to pick up his tracks. We followed them in the fresh snow but ended up following the smaller 4 X 4 deer and not realizing it till we caught up to him. He was fine but not what I had come for so we backed out and hunted all the canyons back up to our valley.

Kind of disapointed this afternoon but it's snowing out tonight so we'll
get after them again tomorrow. I checked my gun and of course it's dead on so can't blame it.

Will log in tomorrow if I get a chance. The internet here is via satelite and the storms really mess with the connections.

Elkaholic
10-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Man that sounds like a badass time! I have always wanted to go there to mulie hunt, i hope you bag a big one.

BCHunterFSJ
10-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Looking forward to your next installment...
Don't let those stupid "high fence etc." comments bother you!

BCrams
10-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Two misses on two great bucks. Settle down and breath cowboy!! :wink:

I've heard sticks are great. However, shooting off your butt and off your knee is very effective, or prone off a day pack eliminates the hassle of sticks and given the down hill angle, sitting down off your knee would have given you the time to shoot. I shot my British Columbia trophy mule deer last year just like that, range findered 380 yards and 1 shot.

I'm having a hard time visualizing what these canyons look like. 45 degree angle shot and 2 canyons away?? You have pictures what these 2 canyons away look like when shooting at a buck 45 degrees down hill? I shot a nice muley in a canyon over 350 yards away at similar angles so I'm trying to grasp the definition of canyon when its 2 away at the same distances.

Good luck.

The country here is so vast. The canyons are so wide with very little cover. It is certainly rifleman's country.

Missed on a 180 ish deer yesterday that had trash off his right side. Of course he went right over this 8500' pass and up we went tracking him in the snow. Once over the other side he broaded right to the valley floor never looking back or breaking his stride for about three miles. We followed as well as we could but once he got to the valley and the cedars I lost track of him in with all the other deer.

Today climed over another saddle in the snow to find two nice bucks bedded 2000' below in the valley floor. We've been seeing deer in the heads all the time this week and so down we went after them.
Both were 4 X 4 typs.

One was heavier and would nudge 190. Best I could get to him was 325 yards and as I was setting up the sticks he stood knowing something must be up. Rather than look and check us out he stotted dead away and turned at 428 yards. It was close to 45 degrees downhill and I couldn't get solid as I was sliding dowhill on a canyon slope as I was trying to get on him. I missed and he bolted into the trees.

He was two canyons away and it took us 30 minutes to get over and try to pick up his tracks. We followed them in the fresh snow but ended up following the smaller 4 X 4 deer and not realizing it till we caught up to him. He was fine but not what I had come for so we backed out and hunted all the canyons back up to our valley.

Kind of disapointed this afternoon but it's snowing out tonight so we'll
get after them again tomorrow. I checked my gun and of course it's dead on so can't blame it.

Will log in tomorrow if I get a chance. The internet here is via satelite and the storms really mess with the connections.

boxhitch
10-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Sounds like some rough country. No wonder they can market those 'Canyon Rifles'.
.....325 yards.........he stood knowing something must be upWow, jumpy buggers aren't they .
Rather than look and check us out he stotted dead away and turned at 428 yards. It was close to 45 degrees downhillWhat did the guide give you for shot advice ? True ballistics ? Fire him ! :)

BCrams
10-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Looking forward to your next installment...
Don't let those stupid "high fence etc." comments bother you!

Most of us don't really care with his hunting method of choice (guided hunts). What most of us do care about is his strong promotion of LEH for mule deer in the Chilcotin and "quality hunts" to the higher uppers of the GOABC. (i.e., LEH rut hunts that would be almost impossible for you and I to draw)......I have this fear the 'reinstatement' of the Region 5 rut hunt is going to be exactly that as part of a long term agenda by the GO's. I also hear he is supportive of landowner tags in BC as well. Imagine you having to pay 5000 US to hunt some farm in Ft St John.

There was a GO rep who reiterated how some "residents go to Alberta" for quality hunting to folks in Victoria. Take a wild guess who that is ;)

Otherwise, there are no issues, and he is obviously enjoying his hunt in Utah. I think seeing new country like that is great!!

I sincerely hope he tags out on a big buck on his hunt that he is happy with and look forward to his story segment for the latter part of his hunt.

hntcrazy
11-02-2010, 06:29 AM
No reports so I bet no kill???????????????

BCrams
11-02-2010, 10:56 AM
No reports so I bet no kill???????????????

Won't know until he posts up. I have no doubt he had a great hunt which was fun whether he killed something or not.

The 'guide' did his job hunting and leading him to two bucks of which Dave failed to do his job ... and that is shooting straight. Many outfits offer 100% opportunity. They don't say 100% success for obvious reasons.

David Heitsman
11-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Well I started this thread in the air and I'll end it that way too. I'm probably looking down on the range that I hunted in right about now.

I did not take a deer allthough the other two guys took 'last day' 150 - 160 class deer. At sunset on my last day I was in close range (for once)
on a mid 150's 4 X 4.

Just wasn't interested. Didn't pay the $$, fly all the way down there to take a dnik. John, my outfitter, was happy of course as any deer that makes it thru to the next season could make next years hunt a little easier. It would have been tough to get the meat back and I was hunting to improve anyways.

It did seem that on the last few days that the hunting was quite a bit harder. Not especially more physical but we were hunting a range that was maybe 10 miles long and 3 miles wide out in the middle of the desert
where the nearest pavement was easily 40 miles away. From the desert floor which was pretty much sagebrush to about 1/3 of the way up the mountains we were having to hunt in 15' high 'cedars' which to me looked like large junipers.

After a few days of pressure on the peaks and saddles the deer left the
alpine willow brouse and moved into these cedars. These trees are randomly spaced but thick enough to offer no visiblity, either from looking in from the top or trying to still hunt thru them.

On the second to last day on the way back to the ranch I eviscerated a coyote. He had needed a coup de grace and when I went to retrieve him
we ranged back to the truck at 399 yards. John just shook his head!
I had taken another coyote at 300 yards a few years ago with him on a cougar hunt. We stuck the coyote in a fence near the cattle guard as a signal to the ranchers that we had given them a hand. I'd seen several presented that way earlier.

I spent the last two days hunting for 'birdies' on the golf courses in Mesquite. Didn't get very many of them either but it's a great way to end a trip.

Of course I left a deposit for next year. I love it down there and will just have to brush up some more on the longer ranges required with desert hunting. Just glad it wasn't a desert bighorn hunt!

Stop by the WSS booth at Tradex next spring and I'll have some pictures of the areas I've mentioned.

Rodd
11-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Great Story, and great Hunt! Thanks for sharing it David! Not all great hunts end with an animal being taken, but still are great hunts none the less.... You'll get that big one you missed next year for sure! Cheers!

David Heitsman
11-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Boxhitch,

As to the first miss, it happened so fast that we weren't talking much. Beside's all guides ever say is "Muey grande, you shoot now! You know how they are...

BC Rams

I don't think I could have shot off my knee on the slope I was on. I wish that I could have settled along a tree as that works well for me most of the time. It's not my first misses, won't be my last either.

Yes the hunt was great, hence my rebooking. Having a hunt booked also makes me save $$ for the next year and keeps me away from the new truck and jet boat dealers.

As to the canyons; I was shoooting down the left side of a canyon that had two narrow drains coming into it between me and the deer. I posted them as canyons since they were quite deep but the term can be confusing. I had wanted to drop into the first of these and shoot from the bench between them but with the erratic winds John was not sure we could get that close without detection. In hindsight I would have like to have tried to get closer but I also thought I'd be shooting at 300 not 400 plus yards.

Do I go to Alberta for mule deer? Hell yes. Twice. So have seven of my BC hunting friends. Funny, some are even from Northern BC. Not a one of them is a member here on HBC. They can't can't handle the BS that would get thrown to them like I take here.

Goat guy: If you left one for me, that'd be great.

Mark; Wish I could have cornered a big one in the 'high fenced' area
on the first day. Could've played golf for 10 days which is hella lot cheaper than deer hunting.

Give another area a try guys. You'll learn lots and meet plenty of like minded hunters from all over the world. Take a journal with you.

I'm starting to write a book about the characters I've met and the places I've been and game I've taken. Now if i could just get sponsored like Shockey or Boddington did...

muledeercrazy
11-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Most of us don't really care with his hunting method of choice (guided hunts). What most of us do care about is his strong promotion of LEH for mule deer in the Chilcotin and "quality hunts" to the higher uppers of the GOABC. (i.e., LEH rut hunts that would be almost impossible for you and I to draw)......I have this fear the 'reinstatement' of the Region 5 rut hunt is going to be exactly that as part of a long term agenda by the GO's. I also hear he is supportive of landowner tags in BC as well. Imagine you having to pay 5000 US to hunt some farm in Ft St John.

There was a GO rep who reiterated how some "residents go to Alberta" for quality hunting to folks in Victoria. Take a wild guess who that is ;)

Otherwise, there are no issues, and he is obviously enjoying his hunt in Utah. I think seeing new country like that is great!!

I sincerely hope he tags out on a big buck on his hunt that he is happy with and look forward to his story segment for the latter part of his hunt.

That is pretty worisome! I take it you mean the op has enough money to go on guided mule deer hunts out of country, and is pushing for landowner tags in b.c., as well as leh only mule deer hunts in our province.. If that is the case then maybe he should have a go at hunting public land for 150 class dinks, and see how his opinion of a trophy changes. I have no problem with guys going on guided hunts, or even canned hunts if that is what suits them. I despise anyone who would make it harder for the average guy who doesnt have the money to pay for these services to enjoy quality hunting.. Supporting healthy animal populations and wintering grounds is something that should be a burden of the whole province and never end in landowners owning animals.. like with landowner tags..imo

BCrams
11-02-2010, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE]That is pretty worisome! I take it you mean the op has enough money to go on guided mule deer hunts out of country, and is pushing for landowner tags in b.c., as well as leh only mule deer hunts in our province..

That is correct. Dave Heitsman is a strong supporter of that and has voiced it with higher uppers of the GOABC and people in Victoria. He really pushes his agenda. Thats what people have an issue with.

If that is the case then maybe he should have a go at hunting public land for 150 class dinks, and see how his opinion of a trophy changes.

He can't find even a 150 buck in BC. Thats a well known fact in the BC hunting circles. He just can't really hunt without a guide leading the way.

He has visions of LEH rut hunts in the Chilcotin (Region 5) and the GO's on a quota so he can buy a hunt and ride a horse while seeing 180 class bucks prancing in the open grasslands and no one else around.

I have no problem with guys going on guided hunts, or even canned hunts if that is what suits them.

Neither do I, nor do most people on here with what hunters choose to do as far as guided hunts.

If I had money, I am sure I'd pay for a guided hunt to see some new country like New Mexico or something .... but as a resident and strong understanding of how important hunting opportunity is in British Columbia, you wouldn't catch me pushing those ideals like he is.

Flies to Alberta, shoots 150 buck next day and is out on the plane that night. Then talks how good the "quality" of hunting is for big bucks and that BC should be more like Alberta with the folks at the GOABC and hence they push for it in Victoria.

I despise anyone who would make it harder for the average guy who doesnt have the money to pay for these services to enjoy quality hunting.

You're not alone. There are thousands upon thousands of hunters in British Columbia who enjoy our quality of hunting as we have it (and it should get better if the folks in Victoria get their shit together). Doesn't help having a regional manager like Rodger Stewart in Williams Lake either who doesn't know a damn thing about good wildlife management based on science, nor does he support hunter opportunity for resident hunters.

BCrams
11-02-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't think I could have shot off my knee on the slope I was on. I wish that I could have settled along a tree as that works well for me most of the time. It's not my first misses, won't be my last either.

Guess I wouldn't know unless I was there. But in general, sitting on your butt for a 45 degree shot works on a steep slope with gun on knee.

Yes the hunt was great!

Thats the important part of the hunt. Glad you enjoyed it.

Do I go to Alberta for mule deer? Hell yes. Twice. So have seven of my BC hunting friends. Funny, some are even from Northern BC. Not a one of them is a member here on HBC. They can't can't handle the BS that would get thrown to them like I take here.

Nothing wrong with going abroad or other places to hunt!! Thats great!!

We just don't need that kind of management here in BC for landowner tags, LEH rut hunts etc.

We truely have one of the most remarkable mule deer hunting opportunities in BC compared to anywhere else for trophy bucks!!

srupp
11-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Whatever the wildlife management agenda is in Region 5..it isnt working..lots of dink deer..pretty good crop of does and fawns..but not many bigger bucks getting harvested..not putting out the effort, new hunters ?? whatever...not seeing quality deer...quantity yes..

I am also headed to Alberta on a late season Trophy mule deer hunt..I drew the tag ...after several years getting senority...but just me and Springer..one of my Alberta buds..and our buddy Randy...

cheers
Steven:mrgreen:

GoatGuy
11-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Whatever the wildlife management agenda is in Region 5..it isnt working..lots of dink deer..pretty good crop of does and fawns..but not many bigger bucks getting harvested..not putting out the effort, new hunters ?? whatever...not seeing quality deer...quantity yes..

I am also headed to Alberta on a late season Trophy mule deer hunt..I drew the tag ...after several years getting senority...but just me and Springer..one of my Alberta buds..and our buddy Randy...

cheers
Steven:mrgreen:

I got a tag in alberta for muleys as well but doubt I'll go. Usually just go out to hunt with a buddy and he'll be coming out here for turks next spring. Hard to leave BC to head out there for smaller/same size bucks and only able to hunt thurs-sat.

Next year should be speed goat and will go for that.

frenchbar
11-02-2010, 05:09 PM
This D.H guy makes me wanna vomit with his agenda on mule deer in our province.. :mrgreen:

hntcrazy
11-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Makes me wonder why DH buddies dont post here and he does ???hm
I wonder why?

boxhitch
11-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Clearly he has ,more buddies than you are aware of.

This D.H guy makes me wanna vomit with his agenda on mule deer in our province.To be clear, what do you think his agenda is ?

Gateholio
11-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Next time you guys want to discuss wildlife management in BC< start your own thread, don't hijack someone's thread about OUT OF PROVINCE HUNTING.

Easy enough to start a thread.