PDA

View Full Version : who hunts in the rain?

bc_buckshot
10-21-2010, 03:18 PM
I was wondering seeing how its going to rain on the weekend is going hunt during the rain.In my thoughts, animals don't move that often during the rain that they keep tight in the thick and come out brief moment to eat. Who has had taken game during the rain.

GoatGuy
10-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Rain with a good bit of wind is my favorite at this time of year. One of the only times the pendulum swings in favour of the hunter. Really the best time to sneak up on wt's in the thick stuff.

Rain by itself is good too if you're hunting the 'bush' as it keeps the noise to a minimum and can provide a constant wind direction.

frenchbar
10-21-2010, 03:28 PM
I have found some of the best days hunting are on overcast rainy days...animals seem to move around alot on days like that .imo .

10-21-2010, 03:29 PM
You dont live on the island do you ? :)
i have shot lots of deer in the rain. And in Ucluelet one of the best times to hunt was in the nastiest storm you got. Yes it was road hunting but what else you gonna do in coastal storm.

16ga
10-21-2010, 03:31 PM
I agree, the rain (or snow) muffles the sounds, I have been most successful during "bad" weather, the animals don't seem to care much.

d6dan
10-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Here on the Island, the best time to hunt Blacktails is worst weather day possible. They will be out in the log blocks or clearings. Look for the high points, they will be laying on them.

stitch
10-21-2010, 03:38 PM
let it rain let rain let it rain...my wife thinks I'm nuts when I start looking at the weather mid week praying for weekend rain.

BromBones
10-21-2010, 03:48 PM
I've seen plenty of game out feeding throughout the day when it's raining.

Good for hunting thick brush/timber as it keeps the noise down. I also always try to head out during the first wet snow dump we get during late october/early november. Good time to hunt.

digger dogger
10-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Here on the Island, the best time to hunt Blacktails is worst weather day possible. They will be out in the log blocks or clearings. Look for the high points, they will be laying on them.

dan is on the $. The worst of days for blk tls! :-)

OutWest
10-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Rain with a good bit of wind is my favorite at this time of year. One of the only times the pendulum swings in favour of the hunter. Really the best time to sneak up on wt's in the thick stuff.

Rain by itself is good too if you're hunting the 'bush' as it keeps the noise to a minimum and can provide a constant wind direction.

This right here should answer your question.

BCrams
10-21-2010, 04:17 PM
I was wondering seeing how its going to rain on the weekend is going hunt during the rain.In my thoughts, animals don't move that often during the rain that they keep tight in the thick and come out brief moment to eat. Who has had taken game during the rain.

Rain is one of the best times to hunt. Last time I was out, it was pouring out, yet I saw a big bull moose mid morning and put the drop on a calf later that afternoon!!

Its miserable for hunters and most prefer to stay at home, stay in the camp, stay in their trucks ..... its not miserable for the animals and therefor I just get out and hunt.

Shooter Jr.
10-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Now I would disagree with that, My first deer ever was in the rain, my moms first two deer were in the rain, our buddy shot a deer in the rain, all of this within 2009-10-2010-11 season. We usually see tons of deer during the rain.

10-21-2010, 04:24 PM
A light rain in perfect for still-hunting, quiet ground, poor scent transmission, dark at night - deer feeding in daylight hours, wear wool forget nylon rainsuits, keep your binoculars inside your jacket, use scope covers.

dougal
10-21-2010, 04:31 PM
I like the rain it takes that dead silence out of the woods

Nooker77
10-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Love the rain and snow!! Good clothing and boots and you can hang out all day!!

patdel
10-21-2010, 04:43 PM
I agree that the rain and a light breeze gets the animals moving all day long at times. I have noticed that if the wind is too strong then the animals tend to stay put, especially the deer since they are so skittish with the noise around them.

Steelpulse
10-21-2010, 04:48 PM
I love hunting in the rain get all the water proof gear on and head out its the best time to still hunt for deer. The ground is no longer dry and crunchy, as long as you still move very slowly emphasis on the slow you will see deer. I typically move a few feet every few minutes if you know the deer are in the area you don't need to be going very far.

Shooter
10-21-2010, 04:57 PM
The rain really sucks ass.... You will waste your time if you are out in the rain and would be better off just staying warm and dry sitting on the couch with a nice cold beer. Everyone should just stay home when it rains, if you ask me,.... which I think you did...:mrgreen::wink:

Shooter
10-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Now I would disagree with that, My first deer ever was in the rain, my moms first two deer were in the rain, our buddy shot a deer in the rain, all of this within 2009-10-2010-11 season. We usually see tons of deer during the rain.

\

Shhhhh.... hunter need learn be quiet.:-D

.330 Dakota
10-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Rain drives your scent right to the ground

sawmill
10-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Best time I find is just before or just after a big nasty low moves in,should be good here this weekend,clouds block out the full moon so we should see more deer at dawn.

kennyj
10-21-2010, 05:31 PM
I love hunting in the rain.
kenny

deeks1989
10-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Like others were saying! overcast stormy weather I find is the best time to hunt mule deer and white-tails...right after a storm is excellent for hunting too!
Here is a pick of my 2010 mule deer shot in crappy weather this year.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs381.ash2/65923_10150305738070425_651515424_15012062_7963387 _n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=15012063&id=651515424)
In this picture I was happy although I didn't smile....I was just thinking about how wet I was and how much work I had ahead of me hahaha.
Rain is good!

watson721
10-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Rain is a good thing

buck nash
10-21-2010, 05:44 PM
I doubt very much that I could have snuck up to 25 yards on the bt deer I got on Quadra if it weren't for the crazy weather masking my noise .

boxhitch
10-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Surprising how many like the rainy day hunts, considering how vacant the roads are on a muddy day.
Maybe the diff between the hunters and those waiting for the car wash to open.

Shot a great goat this year on a crappy rainy sleeting foggy day. Only openings were when we spotted him at 800 yds and again later as we closed to 50 for the shot and then pictures. Then the real rain hit. Was a good day.

BlacktailStalker
10-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Absolutely love it, desire it and take advantage of it.
Keeps all the road hunters home too, they dont like the wind pelting in their face at an angle through their window.
Once youre in it and already "over it" its not a problem ;)

wolverine
10-21-2010, 07:55 PM
First blacktail buck I shot it was raining so hard I could hardly see him 50 yards away. When I was on the Island I used to like to go out while it was raining and then wait for it to slow down or stop. Man, the blacktails came out of the woodwork then.

blindguy
10-21-2010, 08:23 PM
My wife thinks i'm a loser when i get excited a big blowy rain storms a comin.Like the one tomorrow can't wait for morn.

vortex hunter
10-21-2010, 08:24 PM
rains great keeps the idiots at home

rollingrock
10-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Just came back from an evening bow walk in the mountain ;)

It was rainy and windy, and the wind shifted a lot. Didn't see a deer, but on the way back down saw a big black bear. It was so dark by the time that I couldn't even tell which side his ass was facing. Also it's too close to the residential area, I suspect this bear probably has lived on garbage all year long.

chinook
10-21-2010, 08:38 PM
I live on the Coast and hunt blacktails. Hunting in the rain is a must, not an option. The harder the better. I hope it dumps this weekend!!

tomahawk
10-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Weather doesn't matter to me and if animals could talk its low on their priority list as well. They care about safety, food and the rut when its on, they were born in the outdoors and don't know anything different.

6 K
10-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Works for me.
I've sent alot of critters to the clearing at the end of the path in the rain.
Just not tonight................maybe tomorrow.

JCVD
10-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Straight down and pouring rain has never worked for me. A Blustery or all out windy storm and just after are the very best you can get for BT hunting.

Kody94
10-22-2010, 08:28 AM
When wanting to hunt:

Sheep/Goat -- I hate rain, fog and/or low cloud.

B-bear -- rainy days seem far less productive on average.

Elk, deer, moose -- rain is good, or even great. wet snow can be problematic, though, if its falling from the trees all day.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Straight down and pouring rain has never worked for me. A Blustery or all out windy storm and just after are the very best you can get for BT hunting.

Same thing can be said for mulies.
Buddy and I were out hunting mulies on Nov 10th a couple of yrs ago and a huge wind/rainstorm blew through in mid-morning. Right after it passed I have never heard so many rifle shots in such a short period of time....including one from my partner.:)

SSS

sneg
10-22-2010, 09:19 AM
I found rain is good for deer,not so for elk.Moose seems indifferent to rain.
More important is wind.Strong wind make animals to feed offten,fast then bed down.

32-40win
10-22-2010, 09:42 AM
The nicest time to hunt in the rain is during the light drizzles, breaks in it, animals will move out to clearings, stalking is a breeze, and blood tracking is a heck of a lot better. Snow storms can be nirvana if you know where the critters are bedding. The only issue is blood tracking something that goes on a death run, Rain & snow can be a miserable situation in that instance, and for a bowhunter, avoided in the afternoon.

whitetailsheds
10-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Yep. Have taken 2 bulls in the rain. Spot and stalk though, not calling.

weatherby_man
10-22-2010, 10:46 AM
I like it when it drizzles, don't like a downpour though. I've had lots of WT success in drizzly rain conditions.

IronNoggin
10-22-2010, 12:30 PM

True! headed out shortly now, and hoping the rain from this morning comes back for this eve. Passed another spike in the rain this am...
Hoping his big Brother makes an appearance tonight... :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

Barracuda
10-22-2010, 12:38 PM
i am made of suger and i melt if i hunt in the rain

built2perform
10-23-2010, 07:01 PM
didnt see a damn thing allll day in the rain! i dunno about this crazy rain talk

BlackBear
10-23-2010, 07:48 PM
I have harvested a few deer in the rain. I think that light or moderate rain doesn't necessarily cause any drastic change in the behaviour of deer. On the other hand, if there is a significant rain/wind storm, the deer will stay in the thick brush. In these conditions, it seems that deer movement intensifies after the storm has finished or right before the storm occurs.

jackychiles
10-24-2010, 06:05 PM
I like hunting in the rain for whitetails or mulies or bears it doesn't matter it is all good times

J. C. Gnarly B.T.
10-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Check the blacktail I took in a heavy down-pour. Rain kills your scent, and covers your moves. Check, Kishman post regarding BLACKTAIL, try it, they do not smell you as easily, or hear you because of the rain on their senses, ears, leaves, ground, etc., if you hunt with a bow (especially), get wet! (John)

BCbillies
10-24-2010, 06:24 PM
For those of us near the coast if we didn't hunt in the rain we wouldn't hunt much! The lack of rain during our fall grizz hunt likely contributed to us not cutting a tag. :icon_frow

guywitha270
10-24-2010, 10:25 PM
I shot the first deer of my life this morning in the rain. Lots of deer were out and about. And I was the only hunter around!! I love the rain! :mrgreen:

Johnnybear
10-24-2010, 10:39 PM
I shot the first deer of my life this morning in the rain. Lots of deer were out and about. And I was the only hunter around!! I love the rain! :mrgreen:

That right there say's it all:wink:.

Here on the Island the rain is a must to get them moving. I see more deer in the rain and serious frontal systems then nice days for sure. Love the rain.

Bts said it best in once your over the getting wet part get on with it (i.e. hunting).

J_T
10-25-2010, 06:37 AM
When wanting to hunt:

Sheep/Goat -- I hate rain, fog and/or low cloud.

B-bear -- rainy days seem far less productive on average.

Elk, deer, moose -- rain is good, or even great. wet snow can be problematic, though, if its falling from the trees all day.
Agree, I think it depends what you are hunting. I love hunting in the rain for whitetail and elk. Mule deer tend to require less clag.

I would also add that bowhunting in the rain presents a risk. Depending on the amount of rain/moisture, rain can compromise blood trailing and add a risk to recovery. Know your target.

Again, depends if you're talking west coast rain, or inland Okanagan, Kootenay rain.