PDA

View Full Version : How much does your day pack weigh?

GoatGuy
10-21-2010, 03:13 PM
With the thread on knives and guys carrying enough metal to skin a beluga whale wondering how much everyone's day packs weigh and what's in them.

Usually got a spotter, tripod, binos, camera, video cam and case for the two, 1 knife, lighters, foot warmers, tp, couple of game bags, couple strands of binder twine, SPOT, headlamp, food, water and extra clothes. I'm sure it weighs 25-40 lbs depending on the time of the year - seems heavy, can't imagine throwing other gear in like 3 knifes, a hatchet and a sharpener. Then throw a critter on your back on top of that.

Almost forgot the license, pal and registration photocopies. Pack light, pack right (including a license)

frenchbar
10-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Mines about 15 lbs 2 knives spotter sometimes ...bit of small rope ..water bottle ..game bags..little food incase im caught out over night..small flashlight ..rain coat ...first aid kit ..lighters camera .....not much else .

GoatGuy
10-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Mines about 15 lbs 2 knives spotter sometimes ...bit of small rope ..water bottle ..game bags..little food incase im caught out over night..small flashlight ..rain coat ...first aid kit ..lighters ...not much else .

Are you a nocturnal feeder?
:mrgreen:

Forgot to even include the rain gear as it seems that's been worn most of this fall instead of being packed around.

snareman1234
10-21-2010, 03:45 PM
about 30lbs

Water bladder,
Garbage bags for quarters,
knife, sharpener
flashlight,
headlamp,
wallet of shells,
foldable wood saw I use for cutting bone
a tin of st. jeans smokes salmon, cuz if i get lost, i am not gunna be hungry
granola/protein bars
Gps
4 lighters
duct tape and rope

OutWest
10-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Usually keep it between 30-35lbs. I need some tips from some sheep hunters on how to get the weight down. Hiking all day takes a toll on you carrying all that weight around.

BromBones
10-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Never weighed it, maybe 30lbs ish. I often end up spending a night or two unplanned so I keep a few extra things.

That's with spotter, couple knives, small stone, small saw, mini-thermos, water bottle, rain coat, extra clothes (wool shirt & socks usually) couple garbage bags, game bags, light rope or cord, matches/lighter, few strips of birchbark or other firestarter, basic first aid, headlamp, small led flashlight, pipe & tobacco, tags etc, black tape, camera, GPS, small whiskey flask, spare ammo, grub - usually trailmix/fruit bars (enough for a few days in a pinch), light plastic cup and a handful of teabags. Probly more that I can't think of.

Sometimes I'll throw my Primus stove & kettle in with a couple de-hyd. meals if I plan on going a couple days.

Can still de-bone a deer and pack it out along with what I've got here without too much trouble.

BCrams
10-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Its heavy. Depends on the time of year. I carry all the essentials and whether its raining or snowing dictates the extras. A far cry from when I used to just hit the woods with some rope, lighter, compass and a couple knives for the day.

dougal
10-21-2010, 04:25 PM
I am an over packer I usually have all and anything I could ever need and she ends up being about 35-40lb more depending if I have my extra clothes and snacks with me......you know a sweater and warm hat and extra socks...dry feet are happy feet.
and that does not include the four knives extra ammo and flash light on my knife belt that sits at about 5lb plus my 240 and the gun its about 320 humping my way through the woods.

longwalk
10-21-2010, 04:44 PM
I think @25lbs. Water filter plus bottle. Basic first aid and survival kit. Headlamp, compass and GPS with spare batteries. Trail mix, granola bars and a bag of my favourites, Hawkins cheesies. Also keep a touque and spare pair of gloves in the pack along with a couple of meat bags. 60' of climbing rope and a couple of carabiners makes a great block and tackle. I carry a Leatherman and my hunting knife on my belt. Worst comes to worst I could easily keep warm and dry for a few nights.

Yotapup
10-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Ha, wow... guess I know what to look forward too in my hunting future.

I pack light, as I don't go too far off the trail (yet)

20rnds, food/snacks, garbage bags, water, 4 knives (3 in pack, 1 emergency folding knife on my hip) PAL etc, rope, binos, spotter.

Thanks about it

Mark_S
10-21-2010, 05:03 PM
I haven't weighed it but I am estimating it at under 20 lbs.

I pack 3 knives, Bino's, camera, game bags, I usually have around 10 rounds, Leatherman, some thin rope, Wyoming saw, GPS, water, granola bars, lighter, roll of ribbon, spare pack of batteries, one of those magnesium/flint fire starters, Oh yeah and a roll of TP too.

I used to pack a spotting scope but I got tired of carrying it around.

Gateholio
10-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Probably 35-40 lbs....I usually have too many little odds and ends, but sometimes they really come in handy..:-D

BlacktailStalker
10-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Headlamp, gps + spare batts, lighter & TP (in a ziplock together, never leaves the bag) SPOT, lens pen, knife, 2-3 extra rounds (4 in my clip) cheese cloth or pillow case type sack for a boned out buck or first quarter of the elk when I go back for the pack frame.
Rain gear (Sitka stormfront jacket and Marmot precip pant, if its in the forecast), usually one extra top layer (or a vest I wore in the a.m that comes off about 15 mins into the hike) a sandwich and misc snack, water (if there wont be any where i am going)
Binos attatched to crooked horn harness on my chest at all times and spotter/tripod will be in the bag too IF I'm hunting glass-able country (dont need it here in the thick sh!t for blacktails)
This year I added a olive integral sil tarp II and 50' of white/blue twine.
License etc is a given and its always in my wallet tossed in as well.
Rangefinder could be on the belt or pack, depending on visibility of the area I'm hunting, anything up to about 300yds I dont bother unless I have all the time in the world.
Prob a few other things if I took it all out but whatever else is in there likely had/will have a purpose sooner than later. I like to keep a few tylenol too, nothing worse than a headache on a big hike.

Most days the day pack is the J104 which weighs about 5-6lbs I think so total weight I figure is a solid 25-30 lbs.

Preferaby heavier at the end of the day ;)

swampthing
10-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Waaay too much. I have more seasons behind me than years left to live. The older I get, the more crap I can afford, so the more I carry. My daypack is probably 30ish, 50-60ish for an overnighter and 70ish for a couple days.

blackbart
10-21-2010, 07:28 PM
While day hunting my pack weighs about twenty pounds or less (rifle and binos not included)- this includes enough "stuff" to spend a night fairly comfortable if it is -20C or warmer.

Extra stanfield sweater, down vest, toque and gloves, raingear, light weight tarp, first aid stuff, food, water, map, compass, headlamp, gps, pocket rocket and fuel, hunting gear, water 1.5l, and food.

Spotting scope and tripod are only carried when hunting for sheep or in terrain that allows glassing at long range.

Ammo (10), knife and lighter etc are on my belt or in the pant pockets.

With this setup I can easily carry out most of a deer and be safe for an unplanned overnight.

When I was a kid I did not even carry a pack - not a great idea.

If you are carrying a pack while hunting be mindfull of how your gun handles the strap while shooting. I can shoot easily with my daypack on, but the bigger multi day packs do not allow for comfortable shooting due to the heavier shoulder pads.

rocksteady
10-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Less than 10 pounds...Have a large dual pocket fanny pack, as I hate having crap on my shoulders...Prefer to be able to run fast and silent, no need for extra weight on this frame....Built like a gunny sack full of deer antlers:-D Don't tease me or I will take my shirt off , then you will really be scared:eek:

Lillypuff
10-21-2010, 07:58 PM
You are part goat and could carry another 40 pounds and leave me in the dust. The only thing I carry in there regularly that no one else has mentioned is 2 beer

rocksteady
10-21-2010, 08:01 PM
You are part goat and could carry another 40 pounds and leave me in the dust. The only thing I carry in there regularly that no one else has mentioned is 2 beer

One of my co-workers (female) told me I was like an old reservation dog ( No offence to FN persons) All cock and ribs !!!:eek::eek: YEP, she made me blush...

10-21-2010, 08:21 PM
My pack weighs about 35 pounds with all the essential and "what if" items.

J_T
10-21-2010, 08:44 PM
My elk pack weighs in around 30lbs. Wish I could lower it, but being an Eberlestock, it starts at 8 lbs. Add Spot, GPS, First Aid, knee brace, full hydration pack (2 knives), camera, extra clothing layer, rope. 30 lbs.

My deer hunting pack weighs in around 5 - 10lbs.

tomahawk
10-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Just weighed mine, 12 lbs right now as its ready for 2 deer trips coming up. Might get as high as 15-18 at times depending on what and where I'm hunting.

eastkoothunter
10-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Another cool forum. I started using my pack and frame 24/7 now as I'm getting into all sorts of adventures. Bino's around my neck, spotter/tri-pod, TP, lighter/matches, 2 knives and a bone saw, protein bars, water bottle, video camera/picture camera, license ect, rain gear and other sorts of gizmos I may need depending on weather, time of year, type of hunt!

mark
10-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Man I hope meathead answers to this one! :lol:

I carry everything I need, and nothing I dont need! My pack is overkill for a dayhike but necesarry for packing out 100+ lbs. of meat or more!

Deer Sausage
10-21-2010, 10:44 PM
mine weighs too much..i cut down the weight a bit buy leaving the tp behind..i got an amazing deal on cheap socks.

cainer
10-21-2010, 11:15 PM
enough to make me want to take a nap after a couple hours of hiking...

Lone Ranger
10-22-2010, 02:03 AM
30 years old, 6 feet tall 200 lbs. Yeah, my pack's a little heavy (45-50 lbs including water - 3L Camelback) but IMO its worth every ounce. I've never had an issue handling it even on long hikes, and I carry enough food/water/gear to last a few days without issue if need be. I don't generally carry a GPS because I don't really trust them, so if all else fails I pack for an overnight stay ;) LR

moose2
10-22-2010, 03:49 AM
This year I was doing day trips into the mountains. So I put my day pack contents into my framed pack that way I had it handy if I needed it to pack something out. It saved alot of time since I was four hours from the quad where I shot my ram , and did not have to go back for a pack . Contents were about 20 pounds
camera
scope and tripod
waterproof coat
touque and gloves
10 shells
2 exacto knives and a pack of replacement blades
rope
folding saw
hunting licence/tags
TP
two pillow cases( to put meat and cape in)
small survival/first aid kit/mole skin/lip balm
head light
snack
water bottle/with filter

Brambles
10-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Oh mine is pretty heavy

Eberlestock j107
Spotting scope
Tripod
Camera
Raingear
Game bags
Caping kit
Skinning knife
Headlamp
Rangefinder
Extra ammo
firestarters
little foam seat
Extra jacket if cold
Montbell packable synthetic sweater
GPS
Phone
Food/Snacks
Water
Sometimes if its an all day away from the truck and its cold out I'll pack a small camp stove to make something warm