PDA

View Full Version : How most people hang their game?

Bill Dance
10-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I hang my game with by the head or by the rear legs which ever is easier at the time. I heard the way you hand it makes a difference in the taste? I'm not sure about that as I have seen no difference.

deer nut
10-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Only Easterners hang their game upside down (by the head)! You want the blood to drain down through the head, not into the best meat!

jml11
10-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Never really thought about why but always with the head down unless the animal is quatered or halved...then the fronts get hung from the 'wrists' when quartered and sometimes from the ribs when halved...basically whatever is the easiest secure point...and the lower hocks are pretty good places...never get much blood dripping out after it has been gutted, skinned and transported so not sure it really matters?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-21-2010, 02:41 PM
I guess hanging it by head head would work "okay" in the field where you might be inclined to leave the head on to transport home....but once hanging in my garage I want to remove all parts that I'm not going to butcher .....before it hangs for a few days. Also, hanging it by the head won't work well if you need to cape it out for a mount:-|.

SSS

Caveman
10-21-2010, 03:26 PM
By the hind legs whole, but quartered more than anything, other than deer.

stitch
10-21-2010, 04:03 PM
I hang it high and proud!

#1fishslayer
10-21-2010, 04:17 PM
I worked in a few slaughter houses and it was always by the rear ler.

dougal
10-21-2010, 04:35 PM
we hang it buy the head for the first few days when we are in the bush and then the butcher hangs it for the rest from the legs I figure it stretches the upper meat a bit before its left to cure

4ptbuck
10-21-2010, 04:40 PM
I was just thinking about this. Normally I have by the head. I take the front legs off at the knees right away. Leave the back legs whole. I hang them just high enough such that the back legs help hold the deer a bit from rotating as I am skinning. Once skinned, the back legs come off. Then I bag it up, leaving the head attached, and outside the game bag.

At home though, it's always been by the rear legs.

jml11
10-21-2010, 05:02 PM
we hang it buy the head for the first few days when we are in the bush and then the butcher hangs it for the rest from the legs I figure it stretches the upper meat a bit before its left to cure

Actually I have also heard that is good for the meat quality/tenderness to stretch it by hanging from the legs as you say.

dabat
10-21-2010, 05:04 PM
I do exactly the same as 4ptbuck

swampthing
10-21-2010, 06:49 PM
By the knot on the gamebag, or on a log over a creek.

moose2
10-21-2010, 07:01 PM
We hang ours by the back legs. I always have , some of our poles are close are not to high. I think if a dog or predator was to chew on it I would prefer the hinds to be higher. I haven't had it happen to me but a guy I know lost the full ass end of a deer to the neighbours dog

chinook
10-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Back legs, Achilles tendon. Easiest for skinning, cleaning, draining, butchering, caping etc...

kendoo
10-21-2010, 08:43 PM
mostly by the hind legs except deer in rut then I hang by the head so as not to accidendly drag scent glands over any meat

Sooke Hunter
10-21-2010, 09:12 PM
A butcher friend of mine advised it is easier to remove the deer's hide when hung by the head....the direction of the hair is more favorable for skinning....less hair on the meat. After the hides off....hang it from hinds to drain, stretch and ready for cutting.:)

dougal
10-21-2010, 09:14 PM
the way I figure it the top and neck meat are lighter than the hind so hanging it buy the head for a few days gives the front half a little time to stretch out from the larger back half.
but in truth we tie the neck to the pole and the front legs to the hanging trees to stabilize it through skinning just seams to work out good for us for the most part its preference I think

Sooke Hunter
10-21-2010, 09:22 PM
What the heck...use the truck method:twisted: