PDA

View Full Version : Riddle me this

WoodySixes
10-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Why are there often small clusters of 5-8 trees left in a cut. All cut off at around 12 feet high, and de-limbed. Looks to me like loggers might wrap a tarp around the circle of trees for a shelter or a cook shack or something like that. I meant to take some pics on my last outing but didn't get around to it. Any insight?

andyp007
10-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Could be for a variety of reasons, but likely left for cavity nesting birds. If the trees were left without being stubbed off they would likely blow over.

shawnwells
10-20-2010, 10:55 PM
i asked someone the same thing this year and they told me they do it for birds...im not sure if its true or not..just what i was told..

BCrams
10-20-2010, 11:30 PM
In British Columbia, many species of wildlife depend on dead or dying trees; however, current Workers’ Compensation Board regulations require that such trees be felled. In 1990, in an effort to reconcile workers’ safety with wildlife habitat needs, Pope and Talbot Limited proposed the creation
of a number of tall stumps (3–5 m tall) in their logging operations.............and there it started.

Stubs provide an immediate potential source of wildlife habitat and a future source of CWD (Course Woody Debris) and may be used to compliment wildlife tree retention. Stubs with defects such as heart rot have a high wildlife habitat value, are generally non-merchantable and below utilization standards.

shawnwells
10-20-2010, 11:38 PM
ah...birds...i dont just hang out with dipshits i guess...

Bowzone_Mikey
10-20-2010, 11:49 PM
And here i thought of them as a dandy place to hang a tree stand

bearhunter338-06
10-21-2010, 07:26 AM
It is habita left for the elusive "Tree White Tail"........DUHHHHHH

boxhitch
10-21-2010, 07:32 AM
And here i thought of them as a dandy place to hang a tree standGreat spot about 8 years after the cut.
May have to contend with an irate woodpecker

swamper
10-21-2010, 07:45 AM
Those trees that you see that are cut off about 15' up are left there by the loggers to be used a perch trees for birds of prey such as small hawks. This practice has been going on for quite a while. The trees are there for the birds to sit on while they search of rodents.
Yet another brainstorm thought up by someone sitting in an office in Victoria.

BCrams
10-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Those trees that you see that are cut off about 15' up are left there by the loggers to be used a perch trees for birds of prey such as small hawks. This practice has been going on for quite a while. The trees are there for the birds to sit on while they search of rodents.
Yet another brainstorm thought up by someone sitting in an office in Victoria.

Partly right. Read my answer. Thats how it started....Pope and Talbot (not Victoria) working with Workers Compensation Board regulations.

Its mostly for cavity nesters and later when they fall over, contribute to the CWD component for small mammals. Birds of prey using them? I'm sure they do :wink:

goatdancer
10-21-2010, 04:05 PM
They're called pecker poles.

chainsaw
10-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Also called hooter poles (owls were the first reason for them)