PDA

View Full Version : illegal hunting

bc_buckshot
10-20-2010, 10:43 PM
This post has to do with tombstones hunt.Don't know what he said was true or making it up but it is wrong.yes he should of made sure before pulling the trigger.I know the C.O work hard, but do you think they will really look into it, or will they think this is just someone making it up.You need proof before calling someone out.Then again why would you post it.I'm just wonder what extent do the CO do to find people breaking the law

troutseeker
10-20-2010, 11:58 PM
It is likely that when someone spouts of for the whole world to read, the CO's may take a little "extra" interest in them. Someone on this site who know's a CO has probably already told them. They may want to investigate just to make an example.

upcomer
10-21-2010, 12:19 AM
if you dont know the simple parts of the regs like that, you shouldn't be out in the bush. Not only are you giving the rest of us ethical hunters a bad name, but putting us in danger aswell.

I hope the CO has been reading these threads....

Stone Sheep Steve
10-21-2010, 04:17 AM
Ohhhhhh........most of the CO's read this site.
Keeps their costs down in finding the bad guys:-D.

SSS

moose2
10-21-2010, 05:11 AM
I missed the original thread but did anyone ask if the hunter was a kid. With her junior licence my 13 year old would be able to shoot my LEH animal ( if I ever got one ) then I would have to cut my species tag.
MIKE

3kills
10-21-2010, 05:57 AM
i know for a fact that there is a few members on here that are cos

hunter1947
10-21-2010, 06:02 AM

You got that right not to mention any of there names...

oscar makonka
10-21-2010, 07:00 AM
His buddy is also up shit creek for putting his tag on an illegally killed animal.

EURO*D
10-21-2010, 07:14 AM
This is an important topic that should be discussed more IMO. There are a lot of hunters out there who do not understand the REGS. They might read them and follow them but they don't fully understand what they are reading. I think its partly due to the people but also due to the way they are worded. For example, I know a few people who have argued take with me that you can take 3WT and 3MD a year...... yes it does state that in the REGs, however people forget to read the Provincial Bag limit of 3 deer total. I don;t know if this goes back to a CORE issue and should be taught earlier or if it is just plain ignorance on fellow hunters. I am still of the belief that our CORE system is way too lenient and is just simply in place so the MOE and GOV can cover their ass. just my .02c

Now someone else shooting someones LEH for them is a totaly different story and then posting on HBC about it.......:confused: I am not sure what he thought would come of this..

thecoug
10-21-2010, 07:53 AM
This post has to do with tombstones hunt.Don't know what he said was true or making it up but it is wrong.yes he should of made sure before pulling the trigger.I know the C.O work hard, but do you think they will really look into it, or will they think this is just someone making it up.You need proof before calling someone out.Then again why would you post it.I'm just wonder what extent do the CO do to find people breaking the law

CO's are peace officers in and for the province of BC... So are Van PD,
VicPD, and others (RCMP are Feds in a dual role with a few more jurisdictional responsibilities than provincial peace officers)

The question as to how far peace officers can or will go to enforce the law appears a little naiive.. Post your sins at will.. It gives legal grounds for any peace officer to follow up on... Sadly this post and the one that precipitated it speaks for some very dodgey conservation practices..

yamadirt 426
10-21-2010, 07:54 AM
I doubt anything will come of it.

thecoug
10-21-2010, 08:14 AM
This is an important topic that should be discussed more IMO. There are a lot of hunters out there who do not understand the REGS. They might read them and follow them but they don't fully understand what they are reading. I think its partly due to the people but also due to the way they are worded. For example, I know a few people who have argued take with me that you can take 3WT and 3MD a year...... yes it does state that in the REGs, however people forget to read the Provincial Bag limit of 3 deer total. I don;t know if this goes back to a CORE issue and should be taught earlier or if it is just plain ignorance on fellow hunters. I am still of the belief that our CORE system is way too lenient and is just simply in place so the MOE and GOV can cover their ass. just my .02c

Now someone else shooting someones LEH for them is a totaly different story and then posting on HBC about it.......:confused: I am not sure what he thought would come of this..

This one gets personal... I teach CORE as do several members on site.. All that has been mentioned in this and the post that brought this thread on is covered throughout the course. It is as important to understand the synopsis and regs as it is to legally drive a car.. Yes, you can drive at 150k and NOT lose your car and licence, but if you get caught you WILL..
Same as drinking and driving, but as in all stated cases, the laws are there. You possess the licence and fundamentally agree that you will follow the rules and regulations in purchasing and signing that licence. (and purchasing the species tags)
The problem here is that it seems that GETTING CAUGHT is the issue.. Accountability for one's action in the field is the CORE ISSUE.. If you do not know what you should be doing or harvesting or where you should or should not be doing it STOP and pick up your phone.. Call the CO's office and ask..They WILL get back to you. DO NOT RELY on what "greatbigfreakinrack @ hunting bc" with a "superhunter" status of 4000 postings on line... In some cases I have found that a few of the most prolific posters are extremely UNKNOWLEDGEABLE of practical skills, but very very skilled at banging the keyboard. (not intended to insult the responsible, active, contributors to the site)
Abusing the established conservation system in place can only result in the implementation of MORE regulation.. To work with this system will benefit more than screwing with it..
Stop whining... get educated about the laws...work with it.. use and DO NOT ABUSE OUR repeat OUR RESOURCES,,,:evil::evil::evil:

Slee
10-21-2010, 08:25 AM

Ohhhhhh........most of the CO's read this site.
Keeps their costs down in finding the bad guys:-D.

SSS

If this is true, Why don't they have the balls to step up and clear things up on questions about the regs ie: proof of sex/species....??????
There have been 4 threads on the topic this fall and there is still no clear answer.

Albafly
10-21-2010, 08:32 AM
I did the CORE a few years ago. Since then, I have probably read the regs dozens of times in part, as there are always questions that come up in my head, like "what guns can you use on different species" or whatever. I am always questioning whether I have it right, as the consequences of getting it wrong are significant. The reality is that there is a ton of information in the regs, especially if you hunt many different regions. There is NO WAY a short course, even with a lot of great instructors, can teach people all that information and then expect them to remember it without any follow up.

Currently, there is a responsibility on the individual to complete the CORE and to continue to learn and refresh their knowledge on the regs. Problem is, there are obviously a lot of people who don't care enough or are just plain too dumb for this. Maybe there should be an online refresher test , say once every five years to keep people current? I know that means more rules etc for us all, but it would force some people to pick up the regs more often.

Ddog
10-21-2010, 08:40 AM
i find it rather humorous, in a way, that so many people are ready to hang toombstone for an action which i have heard many many times that someone else has done.
Not me though as i have never been on an LEH before, but i know lots of hunters that have drawn tags in the past and two or more have gone on the hunt and someone other than the tag holder has shot the animal. lots of you out there have also heard this or been responsible of the same action. Most of us know it is illegal to do.
i am not defending the actions of the hunter, just pointing out a fact that happens.
so would this be the same kind of offense as shooting an animal with no tag?
(although he was with a tag holder) would there be any leniency in a case as this if a person was caught?
another question, What if the tag holder wounded the animal and say a few hours later a partner found it and killed it, is that the same thing?

10-21-2010, 08:42 AM
If this is true, Why don't they have the balls to step up and clear things up on questions about the regs ie: proof of sex/species....??????
There have been 4 threads on the topic this fall and there is still no clear answer.

They cant. You need to ask a direct question to a Conservation Officer. There can be no grey. If a guy stood up and said " I am a CO and this is your awnser" How do you think that would look. A guy named " Bush Basher" calling himself a CO

( yes i just made that name up... if it isnt taken i wanna switch!)

Awnsers from a professional need to be professional in every manner. I have a Officer's card and when i am in Qusetion i Email him. Couple days later i have an awnser.

bighornbob
10-21-2010, 08:42 AM

Becuase they dont know either. They are interpreting the regs just like we are, thats why you get one guy do one thing and its fine and the next guy another CO get a warning or a ticket.

BHB

Slee
10-21-2010, 09:09 AM
They cant. You need to ask a direct question to a Conservation Officer. There can be no grey. If a guy stood up and said " I am a CO and this is your awnser" How do you think that would look. A guy named " Bush Basher" calling himself a CO

( yes i just made that name up... if it isnt taken i wanna switch!)

Awnsers from a professional need to be professional in every manner. I have a Officer's card and when i am in Qusetion i Email him. Couple days later i have an awnser.

I wish I had your conections..... Once again its who you know.

I have called the Kamloops office 4 times now since Aug. Have left my phone number and email and still have not heard back from anyone.....

How am I supose to follow the law if no one will call me back to answer my questions????

Albafly
10-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Its true there are some grey areas in the regs- these areas get all the attention, but 95% of the regs are clear, like the case of LEH holder must be the shooter.

We spend a lot of time blaming grey areas of the regs, when really we should just be learning them better. If this guy shot someone else's LEH animal, he needs to be told the right way, and possibly fined.

I have talked to one guy in the woods who thought this was ok, but after talking it through, he was confused about shared hunt/group hunts etc and thought the moose format was for everything. He had been hunting for many years- longer than me. I didn't try and give him my interpretation, as it may also have flaws, I just politely told him I thought he was inaccurate and he should review the regs in his own time.

10-21-2010, 09:15 AM

I have called the Kamloops office 4 times now since Aug. Have left my phone number and email and still have not heard back from anyone.....

How am I supose to follow the law if no one will call me back to answer my questions????

That is the bitch 'eh. Seriously how does the law expect us to follow it when we cant ask a question of it?

I tryed for a long time to get through. The guy i know i met on Elk lake in Victoria when i was walking my dog. Had a question about out boards and duck marshes. I kept his card and try not to harass him unless i need to. He has given me email addresses to other CO's when i have had questions about road closure locations in new areas etc.

Try a round about route. Phone Fisheries or something and explain it to them, they might give you a direct line. DFO some times is a bit easier to get a hold of.

BromBones
10-21-2010, 09:24 AM
i find it rather humorous, in a way, that so many people are ready to hang toombstone for an action which i have heard many many times that someone else has done.

My thoughts as well. It happens, but ethically it's not a big issue. Much the same as going 5 km over the speed limit.

Some of the guys on the other thread got a little carried away saying the COs would come and take the moose - very unlikely. Worst case scenario is a small fine and a slap on the peepee.

pearljam
10-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Yeah, give the guy a break. We werent there and we dont know all the details. This is the internet, you never know whats the truth or made up........

And how are they ever going to prove anything....... Pretty easy for him to tell the CO that he made the story up. Would never hold up in court.

The Hermit
10-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Rather than insulting tombstone and others like him, I think we should encourage everyone that practices similar activities to post all the details!

steel_ram
10-21-2010, 10:29 AM
I wonder if CO's (or any other peace officer) are different than anyone else. Generally most people don't go around looking for more work to do on their leisure time. It's the internet, sure there's once in a while a real obvious nugget, but most of the time the follow up is not worth the effort.

BCrams
10-21-2010, 10:39 AM

Thats because there are quite a few CO's out there that do not know themselves. Posting up could implicate themselves if a situation arose in the field and they were wrong. (keep in mind, there are many who really know their stuff).

I can't wait for the day I meet a CO in the field who doesn't know the regs inside out. Its the same with RCMP officers. Many are not clear on the regs regarding transportation of firearms when hunters are headed out into the field. I met one such fellow who said I needed a trigger lock on, that it needed to be behind the seat out of sight etc. Didn't take long to show him that he was wrong and he sheepishly appologized and let me continue on my way.

Gateholio
10-21-2010, 10:41 AM
I wonder if CO's (or any other peace officer) are different than anyone else. Generally most people don't go around looking for more work to do on their leisure time. It's the internet, sure there's once in a while a real obvious nugget, but most of the time the follow up is not worth the effort.

If someone from HBC makes a complaint, I think they are obligated to follow up on it.

averagejoe
10-21-2010, 10:49 AM
If someone from HBC makes a complaint, I think they are obligated to follow up on it.

I CALL BULL@#$%# ON THIS ONE TRUST ME

Kirby
10-21-2010, 10:49 AM

I have personally sat in a room with 2 COs that were looking at Facebook and discussing the infractions posted by 2 guys and how they were going to pursue it.

Kirby

Gateholio
10-21-2010, 10:57 AM
I CALL BULL@#$%# ON THIS ONE TRUST ME

Well chev/starlight....If someone files a complaint with RCMP, they are obligated to follow up on it. That's what I have heard them say, anyway. I assume it's similar with CO's. Might not result in charges being laid, but following up on something takes several forms.

boxhitch
10-21-2010, 10:59 AM
I CALL BULL@#$%# ON THIS ONE TRUST METhats a bold statement
Back it up with something or it is just smoke

Kirby
10-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Thats a bold statement
Back it up with something or it is just smoke

This is the internet, everybody and expert and no need to back anything up... if it wasn't true it wouldn't be posted!:-D

Stone Sheep Steve
10-21-2010, 12:22 PM

Because some of them are on here for the same reasons as the rest of us are...because some of them hunters:).
Once they started answering questions there would be no end and I'm sure they want to actually have time to spend in the field:wink:.

SSS

bridger
10-21-2010, 12:38 PM
shooting an animal on some one else's tag is illegal and I wonder why no one has mentioned the common practice of that happening on the bison leh. one tag holder with six or seven buddies all carrying firearms and all trying to fill the tag. happens more times than not!

Jelvis
10-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Character is still doing what's right when no one else is around ...
Jel ( All by yourself ) Even if no one else would know you do it right anyways.

10-21-2010, 12:54 PM
shooting an animal on some one else's tag is illegal and I wonder why no one has mentioned the common practice of that happening on the bison leh. one tag holder with six or seven buddies all carrying firearms and all trying to fill the tag. happens more times than not!

Happens with Moose, Elk .... Everything.. I know you know that...
seems it is like the "Speeding ticket" of hunting. Tonnes of us do it but it is illegal.

( not implying myself :) using the greater "WE" )

Jelvis
10-21-2010, 01:08 PM
If two people are going after a four point buck in 4 point season and the one has filled his or her tag one week end and then the next week they go out again, then only the one with a valid tag should shoot a four point or better.
If they don't then if they separate they might shoot two and have one tag and make it even worse, the lie becomes a waste and wasting is the same as stealing. Ticket and a record against the BC Wild Life Act.
Jel ... and then a guilty feeling takes all the fun away .. imho .. it should stay legal and fun, not guilty feelings and silence on the run ..

muledeercrazy
10-21-2010, 03:09 PM
i agree with following the law, as long as the intent of the law is reasonable. I dont blindly follow what anyone says. I also realize the ministry has gone out of its way to provide a way for groups of hunters to plan trips together with group and shared hunts, and not have to break the law. However, we all know that moose hunts are best done with partners. Keeping that in mind, what is the big deal? I realize that there is potential for two animals to be shot, but there are definetly ways around that. Like I said previously, the province and ministry have recognized a need for these types of hunts with shared and group moose hunts... We are talking technicalities here people.. This is not criminal behaviour in my mind.

For clarification i do not share my tags, and will not... I am just being realistic..

I really notice that too many people on this site like to look down on others for supposed unethical or imaginary illegal behaviour... Recently i noticed someone being critical of others for driving or pushing deer, and others beating the hell out of a young hunter for posting pictures he probably thought everyone would enjoy.. This isnt helpful at all, for anyone.

muledeercrazy
10-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Rather than insulting tombstone and others like him, I think we should encourage everyone that practices similar activities to post all the details!

how about a civilized debate about the potential problems you could encounter with this type of hunt, and why you personaly dont agree.. Like i said, i dont participate in this type of hunt and wont allow anyone else to fill a tag of mine. However, everyone recognized a need for this type of hunt, including the ministry. There is nothing wrong with it, if you adress the potential for two animals to be shot and have a way of dealing with it..my 2 cents, anyways

The Dawg
10-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Well chev/starlight....If someone files a complaint with RCMP, they are obligated to follow up on it. That's what I have heard them say, anyway. I assume it's similar with CO's. Might not result in charges being laid, but following up on something takes several forms.

Yep. If there is credible evidence, you bet there's an obligation to follow up.

muledeercrazy
10-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Yep. If there is credible evidence, you bet there's an obligation to follow up.

they probably dont care and certainly have better things to do with their budget and manpower constraints.

stitch
10-21-2010, 03:53 PM
I read the comment on last nights post...tombstone said he shot the animal in question and told the guy who called him out on it to basically go pound sand. To me that is an admission of an illegal act and may be followed up on. Nowhere did it say someone was going to come and take the moose as posted earlier in this thread. I just got comfy with my popcorn and 3 post in the whole thread was gone...:frown:

Mr. Dean
10-21-2010, 06:59 PM
The last thing I EVER want out of a hunt, is someone else killing MY animal. It's MY hunt and I wanna be the one that makes the call.... Not some over zealous nit-wit that *thinks* if something isn't D E A D, the hunt was/is a failure.

My licence
My tags
My hunt

MY CHOICE!

You wouldn't believe the reactions I get when I make that statement. Me thinks that 'filling tags', happens quite a bit... Just another reason why I like it solo.

Jelvis
10-21-2010, 07:17 PM
It's about what the discussion is before the hunt that counts not after it's done. It's your tag you shoot it, it's my tag I'll shoot it, not if you see one take it for me it's the last day type of stuff.
Jel .. Hunting should be about fun and playing within the rules of the game .. then it's fair and fun

darrin6109
10-21-2010, 07:25 PM
stirring the pot i see, i thought this thread and topic was closed?

ruger#1
10-21-2010, 07:29 PM
The last thing I EVER want out of a hunt, is someone else killing MY animal. It's MY hunt and I wanna be the one that makes the call.... Not some over zealous nit-wit that *thinks* if something isn't D E A D, the hunt was/is a failure.

My licence
My tags
My hunt

MY CHOICE!

You wouldn't believe the reactions I get when I make that statement. Me thinks that 'filling tags', happens quite a bit... Just another reason why I like it solo. I couldn't of said it better. Thank You Mr Dean. It is why I also hunt alone.

urbanhermit
10-21-2010, 07:32 PM

My licence
My tags
My hunt

MY CHOICE!

You wouldn't believe the reactions I get when I make that statement. Me thinks that 'filling tags', happens quite a bit... Just another reason why I like it solo.
otherwise its just much like killing, i too prefer hunting.

urbanhermit
10-21-2010, 07:33 PM
I couldn't of said it better. Thank You Mr Dean. It is why I also hunt alone.
not to hurt your feelings but you look like a scary dude to go hunting with:-D

BimmerBob
10-21-2010, 07:35 PM
not to hurt your feelings but you look like a scary dude to go hunting with:-D

LOL, and that is not even his hunting outfit...:mrgreen:

ruger#1
10-21-2010, 07:36 PM
not to hurt your feelings but you look like a scary dude to go hunting with:-DThanks, I'm Married and spoken for. But my wife had a good laugh on that one.

M.Dean
10-21-2010, 07:36 PM
2 guys plan a trip to go moose hunting, one has a LEH tag, when they return from the trip, they have a moose in the back of the truck. Now only these 2 guys can say for sure who shot the moose, no matter who fired the fatal shot, the moose tag is filled. If for some reason the tag holder couldn't pull the trigger at the last second does it really matter if his buddy did? If your wife got a moose draw and at the last second she couldn't fire for what ever reason, do you pack up and go home mooseless??? Ya, right!!! Tomestone and his buddy went for moose, they killed one and came home, does it really matter who fired the killing shot??? It's illegal to lie on your income tax form, it's illegal to speed, it's illegal to drink and drive and on and on and on!!! Maybe telling every one on here he shot the moose wasn't the smartest thing he could have done but the moose tag was filled, nobody got hurt or lost a eye over it, so I don't see any reason to hang this guy for doing some thing that if the truth be known, happens a hell of a lot more than most people will admit!

ruger#1
10-21-2010, 07:37 PM
LOL, and that is not even his hunting outfit...:mrgreen: Depends what I am hunting for.

urbanhermit
10-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks, I'm Married and spoken for. But my wife had a good laugh on that one.
hahahahha, brave girl! :-D

ruger#1
10-21-2010, 07:39 PM
hahahahha, brave girl! :-D No, she is blind.

urbanhermit
10-21-2010, 07:42 PM
does your makeup run in the rain?

oscar makonka
10-21-2010, 07:53 PM
how about a civilized debate about the potential problems you could encounter with this type of hunt, and why you personaly dont agree.. Like i said, i dont participate in this type of hunt and wont allow anyone else to fill a tag of mine. However, everyone recognized a need for this type of hunt, including the ministry. There is nothing wrong with it, if you adress the potential for two animals to be shot and have a way of dealing with it..my 2 cents, anyways

Leh tags unless otherwis indicated are issued with the intention of only one person doing the hunting. Fish and wildlife determine that they can remove a certain number of animals from a MU. If they decide they want 10 bull moose taken out of an area then they may issue 40 tags knowing maybe only half the people drawn will actually hunt and only about half of them may actually kill an animal thus getting the target of 10 animals taken out. So if they have to issue 40 tags to get 10 animals out this allows lots of tags and opportunity for many people to hunt. What happens when 2 people or a group of five people go out and all hunt for one moose the results will be that they're chances of killing a moose go up five times. If everyone does that then there will be far more moose killed than the game dept intended. So what happens when people do this is that in following years there are even less tags given out to get the target number of animals removed. If people quit party hunting when they are not supposed to there would be a lot more tags given out. The game dept knows this illegal party hunting is very common, especially so with moose, so they simply calculate their numbers, do their averaging and issue less tags for the draw because they know people do this. People wonder why they give so few moose tags out, one of the biggest reasons is illegal party hunting for moose.

RJ
10-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Why not just apply under a shared or group hunt? Save the hassle and be legit about it.

Big Lew
10-21-2010, 08:08 PM
[quote=Jelvis;769442]Character is still doing what's right when no one else is around ...
Jel ( All by yourself ) Even if no one else would know you do it right anyways.[/quote
Jel, you never cease to amaze me......beautifully said!

urbanhermit
10-21-2010, 08:10 PM
[quote=Jelvis;769442]Character is still doing what's right when no one else is around ...
Jel ( All by yourself ) Even if no one else would know you do it right anyways.[/quote
Jel, you never cease to amaze me......beautifully said!
Jell is more clever than people give him credit for.

dougal
10-21-2010, 09:36 PM
its similar to the tree falling in the woods theory. if he had kept silent no one would know if it fell at all. Yet the law is clear your name on the tag you must fill your own. Short of kids on your tag there is no exceptions. This is simply the persons own moral view on the situation I wasn't there and unless we are there its just a he said she said situation If the CO`s get involved its in there hands and the law will be upheld. otherwise he is probably sweating bullets and hunting karma is giving him a swift kick in the @$$ and there is nothing we can do

just my 2cents

born2hunt
10-21-2010, 10:40 PM
The problem here is its all circumstantial, its considered a rumor and hearsay until the facts are proven and the best thing about Canada for criminals is the right to refuse to answer any questions. The party in question here can totally deny any and all accusations . therefor the burden of proof lies with the prosecution to prove an illegal act was committed which in this case would be very hard to do . Thats why some people do this shit and are able to get away with it, And the laws protect the criminals.

muledeercrazy
10-22-2010, 12:44 AM
Leh tags unless otherwis indicated are issued with the intention of only one person doing the hunting. Fish and wildlife determine that they can remove a certain number of animals from a MU. If they decide they want 10 bull moose taken out of an area then they may issue 40 tags knowing maybe only half the people drawn will actually hunt and only about half of them may actually kill an animal thus getting the target of 10 animals taken out. So if they have to issue 40 tags to get 10 animals out this allows lots of tags and opportunity for many people to hunt. What happens when 2 people or a group of five people go out and all hunt for one moose the results will be that they're chances of killing a moose go up five times. If everyone does that then there will be far more moose killed than the game dept intended. So what happens when people do this is that in following years there are even less tags given out to get the target number of animals removed. If people quit party hunting when they are not supposed to there would be a lot more tags given out. The game dept knows this illegal party hunting is very common, especially so with moose, so they simply calculate their numbers, do their averaging and issue less tags for the draw because they know people do this. People wonder why they give so few moose tags out, one of the biggest reasons is illegal party hunting for moose.

the way i understand it is different. It was even described differently by a recent newletter for the victoria fish and game prot society. A tag is meant to be filled. The ministry does not give out tags with the intention of them not being filled. In many cases they are hoping all those tags are filled. Secondly, party hunting for moose is not illegal. There are shared moose hunts because the goverment recognizes the advantages of them. It allows more hunters to get out there and enjoy the hunt and harvest fewer animals. It also makes recovery of a animal alot easier if you have some friends to help. Anyways, here is a good link to educate yourself. Maybe you missed my post on not being so critical of people without know what you are talking about.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/leh_system.pdf

Mr. Dean
10-22-2010, 01:13 AM
2 guys plan a trip to go moose hunting, one has a LEH tag, when they return from the trip, they have a moose in the back of the truck. Now only these 2 guys can say for sure who shot the moose, no matter who fired the fatal shot, the moose tag is filled. If for some reason the tag holder couldn't pull the trigger at the last second does it really matter if his buddy did? If your wife got a moose draw and at the last second she couldn't fire for what ever reason, do you pack up and go home mooseless??? Ya, right!!! Tomestone and his buddy went for moose, they killed one and came home, does it really matter who fired the killing shot??? It's illegal to lie on your income tax form, it's illegal to speed, it's illegal to drink and drive and on and on and on!!! Maybe telling every one on here he shot the moose wasn't the smartest thing he could have done but the moose tag was filled, nobody got hurt or lost a eye over it, so I don't see any reason to hang this guy for doing some thing that if the truth be known, happens a hell of a lot more than most people will admit!

Crack houses and meth labs have nearly invaded ALL communities too and guess what? Both are illegal but WTH.

Just because it happens doesn't make it 'right'.

I'm not condoning OR am I accepting; it is what it is and a line needs to be drawn somewhere - And I'm also in favour of residents bagging their allocations.

Do the Hunters need to be in *close* proximity?
Maybe one sitting in camp is OK??
Maybe the tag-holder can be at home in contact via internet????

Can't say that I've seen any of these stipulations in the Hunting Synopsis.

Or maybe everyone should just 'tag up' on a Group LEH???? (the legal, most viable option at the present time).

Mr. Dean
10-22-2010, 01:21 AM
the way i understand it is different. It was even described differently by a recent newletter for the victoria fish and game prot society. A tag is meant to be filled. The ministry does not give out tags with the intention of them not being filled. In many cases they are hoping all those tags are filled. Secondly, party hunting for moose is not illegal. There are shared moose hunts because the goverment recognizes the advantages of them. It allows more hunters to get out there and enjoy the hunt and harvest fewer animals. It also makes recovery of a animal alot easier if you have some friends to help. Anyways, here is a good link to educate yourself. Maybe you missed my post on not being so critical of people without know what you are talking about.

On a Shared Hunt, only the applicants are entitled to harvest. Not friends of friends, Uncles, nephews, grand-daughters, etc. Only those that applied.

I didn't see any comment on the contrary in that link.

muledeercrazy
10-22-2010, 01:21 AM
i agree. I know it isnt technically right and it doesnt work for me, but at the same time i have a really hard time saying that it is wrong. It would be easier to just say that any draw could be filled by any member of the party if the holder of the authorization approved it. Not a chance I would let anyone fill my draws, but...It makes sense for alot of people.

Mr. Dean
10-22-2010, 01:32 AM
i agree. I know it isnt technically right and it doesnt work for me, but at the same time i have a really hard time saying that it is wrong. It would be easier to just say that any draw could be filled by any member of the party if the holder of the authorization approved it. Not a chance I would let anyone fill my draws, but...It makes sense for alot of people.

EXACTLY one of my main reasoning's of not playing the LEH 'game'. IMO if I should get drawn and NOT be able to do the hunt, I'd like to see another family member be able take it over....

Legal is legal and not is not. IMO we either accept it or abstain. And if it's the latter, lobby for change.

Mr. Dean
10-22-2010, 01:40 AM
It would be easier to just say that any draw could be filled by any member of the party if the holder of the authorization approved it.

OK..... So what if the other *member* shot an illegal animal?
Who takes the responsibility?

Shit shovel shut up???

Lone Ranger
10-22-2010, 01:54 AM
If for some reason the tag holder couldn't pull the trigger at the last second does it really matter if his buddy did? do you pack up and go home mooseless??? Ya, right!!!

5 days in Christian Valley, I only had white tail tags. One of the other guys in the group had a mule deer tag, same hunting party. I had a 2 pt mule deer buck in my scope for 2 solid minutes but being that I didn't have a tag, no deer. I usually hunt with friends but its always done legally, simple as that. If I can't trust the guys I hunt with to control themselves in that situation, how can I trust my life in their hands otherwise?

I can't trust hunting with people who are only there to shoot an animal regardless of rules or regs, if they don't have the control to handle themselves professionally I won't wander around in the bush with them with loaded rifles. The guys I hunt with are top notch guys and never once do I have to worry out there with whether or not they're hunting safely. My two cents. LR

muledeercrazy
10-22-2010, 09:23 AM
OK..... So what if the other *member* shot an illegal animal?
Who takes the responsibility?

Shit shovel shut up???

good point. i think the shooter has to take responsibility all the time.

Mr. Dean
10-22-2010, 09:45 AM
good point. i think the shooter has to take responsibility all the time.

But he's acting on your behalf (tag) and you appointed him as a shooter. It was your judgement and faith in him/her to honour your wishes.

But regardless, I don't think an "appointed" shooter will be turning himself in under the conditions we have now.... More likely just another SSS - And that is my point.... Slippery slopes usually lead to disasters.

Jelvis
10-22-2010, 10:16 AM
It's the same if someone that didn't get an leh tag for any bull but his friend did and then the guy who didn't get the valid tag was out and saw a bull and shot it, then phoned friend with the tag to come up and say he got it.
JP .. It's all about choices of the decisions made, your choice, your decision to be illegal, or say, "No way," I'm sticking with being legal. I'm respecting authority and therefore have no need to fear them. No need to fear C.O.s if you do things legal. That is the reward for legality. " No Fear."
... Fun and peace of mind is worth way more than a pile of illegal moose meat imho

kgs
10-22-2010, 10:25 AM
We all make poor judgment calls from time to time and I think Tombstone is in this category right now. He made a bad call really all thats left now that everyone knows about it is to call and speak with a CO. Its the right thing to do it sucks but like Jelvis said (No need to fear C.O.s if you do things legal. That is the reward for legality. " No Fear.") Not taking responsibility for your actions will cost more in the end like losing your hunting privilege. Just my humble opinion.

Kirby
10-22-2010, 12:02 PM
It was even described differently by a recent newletter for the victoria fish and game prot society. A tag is meant to be filled. The ministry does not give out tags with the intention of them not being filled. In many cases they are hoping all those tags are filled. Secondly, party hunting for moose is not illegal. There are shared moose hunts because the goverment recognizes the advantages of them. It allows more hunters to get out there and enjoy the hunt and harvest fewer animals. It also makes recovery of a animal alot easier if you have some friends to help. Anyways, here is a good link to educate yourself. Maybe you missed my post on not being so critical of people without know what you are talking about.

1- Perhaps you should learn what your talking about???

If you have a population of 100 animals and you want 5 harvested you look at the average success rate, say 50%... you issue 10 tags.

Now if everybody who draws one of these 10 tags has a group of buddies say 5 guys hunting instead of 1 you will increase harvest rates upwards of 100%

So instead of having the harvest goals achieved you've over harvested. So instead you issue 5 tags.

2- Party hunting is illegal, Shared hunts aren't... they are different, maybe you should learn the difference?

3- The law isn't saying don't hunt with friends, its saying don't shoot other peoples tags.

I saw a nice ram the other day, don't have a tag but I'm sure one of my friends does, should I shoot it and just start making phone calls? Or how about the 6 point elk I saw at the end of Sept? I've already tagged my elk, but I know a guy with an unburnt tag should I shoot it for him?

Its poaching for a reason.

Barracuda
10-22-2010, 12:33 PM
I have been saying this for years .

no tag no shoot .

I was on a hunt where one person had a cow tag and i didnt .
I came across a cow and i didnt shoot it and all i could do was try to radio the guy that had the tag as i watched it slip into the woods.

Yes i know it frustrated the other hunters but it would have gone against what i believe. (no they didnt get one at all )

For Leah and I hunting is much more then the kill .

M.Dean
10-22-2010, 12:38 PM
"Pretend"your wife put in for a moose draw, she gets it. Because of work or what ever you and her can only go out once, the last day of your 4 day hunt you and her spot a moose! You both sneak up to get a shot off, she aims, and aims and aims but just can't find the moose in the scope, it slowly starts walking away, 5 more steps and it's in the bush, gone forever! What would you do??? Please, lets not bring up Meth houses, crack shacks or tag holders sitting at home and you shoot there animal, this does not refer to buddies sheep tag or the price of rice in Singapore! Would you sir let the moose walk away or go home with 600 lbs of meat!

Barracuda
10-22-2010, 12:46 PM
that moose would be free to live its life.

the wife and i have been in similer situations a number of times where she hasnt seen or wasnt in a position to shoot and i could have and we let the animal walk .

Kirby
10-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Would you sir let the moose walk away or go home with 600 lbs of meat!

Let it walk, get divorced and find a woman who can actually see something that is the size of a sheet of plywood through a scope.

Barracuda
10-22-2010, 12:53 PM
perhaps remove her scope covers might be a good start also:)

Sitkaspruce
10-22-2010, 01:00 PM
"Pretend"your wife put in for a moose draw, she gets it. Because of work or what ever you and her can only go out once, the last day of your 4 day hunt you and her spot a moose! You both sneak up to get a shot off, she aims, and aims and aims but just can't find the moose in the scope, it slowly starts walking away, 5 more steps and it's in the bush, gone forever! What would you do??? Please, lets not bring up Meth houses, crack shacks or tag holders sitting at home and you shoot there animal, this does not refer to buddies sheep tag or the price of rice in Singapore! Would you sir let the moose walk away or go home with 600 lbs of meat!

It walks, because it is not about the kill, it is about the hunt experience. If she screws up, SHE screwed up, nobody else. We all have had it happen and that is why it is called hunting and not killing. No animal is worth the grief of a ticket. And you have no idea who is watching.........

And for me, I would not have my gun with me as it is her hunt. I would be the spotter, teacher and packer.:wink:

oh and I aint a saint, it is just my morals when to comes to hunting.

Cheers

SS

budismyhorse
10-22-2010, 01:13 PM

its pretty obvious what you would do M.Dean :wink:. You would infact be poaching technically. Would a CO follow up with charges ??????who knows. But if the wife/tag holder is at home with the kids......you bet they would.

I've spoken with CO's about this many times and they don't really care it someone follows up with a killing shot, but the tag holder has to have hit the animal first.

GoatGuy
10-22-2010, 01:26 PM

Geez, that happened with a couple bulls last year and a dozen or more bucks in the last 2 years. Not to mention the other bulls and bucks with other new hunters.

There sure aren't gonna learn if somebody else is out shooting their game, never mind the moral, ethical and legal obligations.

sako7mm
10-22-2010, 01:50 PM
The animal walks away, unless of course you don't have any morals or ethics.....

muledeercrazy
10-22-2010, 01:56 PM
I have personally sat in a room with 2 COs that were looking at Facebook and discussing the infractions posted by 2 guys and how they were going to pursue it.

Kirby

sounds illegal to me. CO's have no right to discuss infractions or course of action with you even if you happen to be a mountie. Definite privacy and ethical infraction. I suggest now that you have publicly stated this you disclose the officers names so we can get them reprimanded? Do you see any similarities here?

in response to your other post:

a shared hunt is legalized party hunting. the only difference is in the technicalities. the point is that the ministry has confirmed that the risk of shooting an animal that a tag does not exist for is minimal if precautions are taken. deal with it, this is a fact.

different leh hunts are managed in different ways. for instance, whitetail and mule deer doe draws are often given in agricultural areas in response to damage to grazing areas because of high animal populations. In these hunts the intention is that every tag be filled. As i mentioned earlier.

Authorizations can be given based on success rates, but does that really make a difference? Groups of hunters that do share tags have been doing so for years and it isnt about to drastically change the stats. Or am i missing something? Because the way i see it if a group of 4 puts in for a shared or group hunt they have a better chance of getting more authorizations than if all 4 put in separetly. The fact that some hunters share tags "illegaly" probably actually increases your odds..If all those hunters put in for the legal hunts they would be able to legally party hunt with a higher chance or more animals being taken. That would result in less draws for you next year. I have to ask myself where the hell the common sense is in all this.

like i have mentioned, i dont support sharing tags. I would never lend a tag, or a leh. However, it makes sense for certain groups and i dont have a problem with shared hunts. I believe in following the rules, I just think this is a good example of one rule that doesnt do anyone any good. I think every member of the party should have to purchase a tag, and more revenue would go towards stopping what i would consider serious infractions.

oldschoolguy
10-22-2010, 02:00 PM

In this case, what you would have to do, is teamwork. You get in position, look through the scope, put the crosshair just behind the front leg, and she reaches around you and pulls the trigger. Then she shot it. You were just helping with aim, which should be just as legal as using a rangefinder for someone else

bighornbob
10-22-2010, 02:11 PM
sounds illegal to me. CO's have no right to discuss infractions or course of action with you even if you happen to be a mountie. Definite privacy and ethical infraction.

You are assuming he's not a CO. :shock:

BHB

muledeercrazy
10-22-2010, 02:13 PM

lol, it seems like common sense is not so common... dont worry, someone is sure to question the morals or ethics of almost everything on this site. Right, wrong.. ? who knows, except that I cant think of any reason not to shoot in that scenario.. No chance of shooting more animals than you have authorizations, the tag would be filled immedietly, the freezer would be full (this is actually important for some people, especially once you have spent the money on a hunt and tags).

Anyways, i have heard rumours of the leh party hunting system being expanded to other animals besides moose. Hopefully some of you can find it within your ethics to still hunt if this happens...

muledeercrazy
10-22-2010, 02:14 PM
You are assuming he's not a CO. :shock:

BHB

lol, thats right. I am just trying to offer another side to this argument. I have yet to here anyone give me a good reason why I should be against leh draw sharing... Tag sharing, i could never support..

steel_ram
10-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Tags are issued in numbers reflecting expected harvest ratio's. Not the number of animals wanted harvesting. So, missed opportunities, no shows, screw-ups and even illegal acts like shooting on someone elses tag are part of it.
A artificially higher success ratio would me less permits issued, which translates into lower odds for those of us that play by the rules.

If it's about getting your dollars worth in meat out of the hunt, I'd suggest using the grocery store.

muledeercrazy
10-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Tags are issued in numbers reflecting expected harvest ratio's. Not the number of animals wanted harvesting. So, missed opportunities, no shows, screw-ups and even illegal acts like shooting on someone elses tag are part of it.
A artificially higher success ratio would me less permits issued, which translates into lower odds for those of us that play by the rules.

If it's about getting your dollars worth in meat out of the hunt, I'd suggest using the grocery store.

the question was if illegal party hunting transfered into lower odds for individuals, and the awnser is no if the alternative is the same people all aplying for a group or shared hunt.

i hunt for the enjoyment, but putting meat in the freezer is a reality for some people and i suggest you consider yourself lucky that it does not enter the equation for you.

Jelvis
10-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Make sure you cancel your valid tag at the kill sight pronto and not hoping to make it home to your place .. with out cutting it ...
Jp .. Hello

steel_ram
10-22-2010, 03:38 PM
i hunt for the enjoyment, but putting meat in the freezer is a reality for some people and i suggest you consider yourself lucky that it does not enter the equation for you.

Sustainance hunting is a completely different story and requires special permits. Anyone that can afford to drive around the woods in a truck or quad, with all the toys can afford to buy their meat.

People that share tags (not legal group hunters) are cheaters at the very least. Not much better than those that think their hunting season starts the evening before opening day.

Jelvis
10-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Same as someone shooting an animal in one region and then taking it across into another region to save a tag or cheat is a total thief and a full blown poacher. Hull 0
Jp .. stick to the rules don't be fools ..

ruger#1
10-22-2010, 04:39 PM
[quote=steel_ram;770445] Anyone that can afford to drive around the woods in a truck or quad, with all the toys can afford to buy their meat. This is the way the antis see it.

Tenacious Billy
10-22-2010, 05:18 PM
the question was if illegal party hunting transfered into lower odds for individuals, and the awnser is no if the alternative is the same people all aplying for a group or shared hunt.

So.......are you trying to say that the most viable way for some people to feed their families is by hunting??

dougan
10-22-2010, 05:34 PM
This one gets personal... I teach CORE as do several members on site.. All that has been mentioned in this and the post that brought this thread on is covered throughout the course. It is as important to understand the synopsis and regs as it is to legally drive a car.. Yes, you can drive at 150k and NOT lose your car and licence, but if you get caught you WILL..
Same as drinking and driving, but as in all stated cases, the laws are there. You possess the licence and fundamentally agree that you will follow the rules and regulations in purchasing and signing that licence. (and purchasing the species tags)
The problem here is that it seems that GETTING CAUGHT is the issue.. Accountability for one's action in the field is the CORE ISSUE.. If you do not know what you should be doing or harvesting or where you should or should not be doing it STOP and pick up your phone.. Call the CO's office and ask..They WILL get back to you. DO NOT RELY on what "greatbigfreakinrack @ hunting bc" with a "superhunter" status of 4000 postings on line... In some cases I have found that a few of the most prolific posters are extremely UNKNOWLEDGEABLE of practical skills, but very very skilled at banging the keyboard. (not intended to insult the responsible, active, contributors to the site)
Abusing the established conservation system in place can only result in the implementation of MORE regulation.. To work with this system will benefit more than screwing with it..
Stop whining... get educated about the laws...work with it.. use and DO NOT ABUSE OUR repeat OUR RESOURCES,,,:evil::evil::evil:well said !!!!!!

andrewheth
10-22-2010, 05:41 PM

I feel the same way, I have tries numerous times to call the CO office and every time I phone there is no CO in the office and conviently nobody else in the office knows the laws either. I think that the province needs to make a change to this system as it makes it very difficult to get your questions answered. Its not just hunting questions either even in the off season I have tried to get fishing questions answered but yet again no response!

peashooter
10-22-2010, 05:44 PM
character is what you do when no one is around to see what you are doing.

just a thought. what happens in tombstones case when his partner is in a totally different cut. suppose both guys see and shoot a bull. now you have two bulls and one tag. let me guess, take the big one and let the other one go to the crows.

Gateholio
10-22-2010, 05:48 PM
sounds illegal to me. CO's have no right to discuss infractions or course of action with you even if you happen to be a mountie. Definite privacy and ethical infraction. I suggest now that you have publicly stated this you disclose the officers names so we can get them reprimanded? Do you see any similarities here?

is.

That doens't seem to make sense. How are CO's or RCMP supposed to get information about something from possible witnesses or those with knowledge about an area or a topic etc without discussion?

Mr. Dean
10-22-2010, 06:22 PM

In your scenerio, it would live to see another day. No bout-a-doubt it.

Now *IF* she managed up the nerve to pull the trigger and made a bad hit, I would back her shot up with one of mine AND post the tale of the hunt for all to see.

Jelvis
10-22-2010, 06:35 PM
How about the two hunters who hunt together and make up stories to cover their asses in case they happen to get caught with the deer under the load of firewood in the truck box, so the passenger side guy holds the tag in a way so he can cut it in case the CO pulls the slime buckets over?
Jel .. Concealed under a load of firewood .. Talk @ Me ..

muledeercrazy
10-22-2010, 11:48 PM
That doens't seem to make sense. How are CO's or RCMP supposed to get information about something from possible witnesses or those with knowledge about an area or a topic etc without discussion?

i cant say i completly disagree. my thought was that if he wasnt a conservation officer he had no right to be discussing possible infractions with other officers unless he was reporting them himself. And we both know that unless he is a officer they would/should not be discussing how they would pursue conviction in front of him.

again, i dont mean to say i think that punching your buddies tag is ok. I dont. I just think that you should have something to back up what you say, and maybe some of these guys need to think about what they are saying. Maybe i do to, but i dont see the reason this is unthethical :)

j270wsm
10-23-2010, 03:23 PM
A few years ago I helped a friend get his first elk. The last day of elk season he was out trying to help his grandfather find an elk, they found a bull,Steve(Not his real name) jumps out of the truck walks over to the edge of the road and shoots the bull twice, turns out it was fake. He was charged with exceding his bag limit($395 fine) and discharging a firearm too close to the yellow line- wasnt 15m from the line($395 fine).

His grandfather was no more than 10' away and he STILL got fined for pulling the trigger. No tag-Dont shoot.

bforce750
10-23-2010, 03:25 PM
A few years ago I helped a friend get his first elk. The last day of elk season he was out trying to help his grandfather find an elk, they found a bull,Steve(Not his real name) jumps out of the truck walks over to the edge of the road and shoots the bull twice, turns out it was fake. He was charged with exceding his bag limit($395 fine) and discharging a firearm too close to the yellow line- wasnt 15m from the line($395 fine).

His grandfather was no more than 10' away and he STILL got fined for pulling the trigger. No tag-Dont shoot.

Probably one of the many guys that shot the robo bull at Horshoe Lk.:mrgreen:

FishBC.org
10-23-2010, 04:46 PM
My question since I missed the original thread was whether it was a LEH Group hunt? or just a LEH draw?
Major difference between the two.
Can anyone shed some light?

steel_ram
10-23-2010, 05:20 PM
[quote=steel_ram;770445] Anyone that can afford to drive around the woods in a truck or quad, with all the toys can afford to buy their meat. This is the way the antis see it.

Well they are correct on that point. So the meat can't be the only part of the pro-hunting "argument" and it isn't. Fortunately it isn't that simple, though some of people on either side are.

Sitkaspruce
10-23-2010, 08:25 PM
My question since I missed the original thread was whether it was a LEH Group hunt? or just a LEH draw?
Major difference between the two.
Can anyone shed some light?

It was a single draw.

Cheers

SS

Jelvis
10-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Ask your self what are the most common infractions of the hunting part of the BC Wildlife Act?
Jel .. Do ye knoweth?

Islandeer
10-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Trapping mice in your tent without a trappers license ?

chinooker
10-23-2010, 09:55 PM

its plain to see from this thread that there are two kinds of people on this site, realistic people and hoighty toighty holyer than thow people.LOL:-D

steel_ram
10-23-2010, 10:16 PM
its plain to see from this thread that there are two kinds of people on this site, realistic people and hoighty toighty holyer than thow people.LOL:-D

Those self rightious cheaters, who have always cheated and know they can get ahead by it, and then there is those "suckers" that don't.

You break the rules, your a thief, regardless if you get caught.

j270wsm
10-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Probably one of the many guys that shot the robo bull at Horshoe Lk.:mrgreen:

No, It happened in the Elk Valley. He called me just after and was freaking out, he thought he was going to lose all his hunting stuff.

Jelvis
10-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Watch shooting toward dark, make sure of the legal time or you could get in deep dark trouble ... shooting.
Jel ( Trouble Shooter ) No better than a looter .. Tink check dah Timex .. Sundown @ the OK Coral

ruger#1
10-24-2010, 04:05 PM
http://www.huntshoot.com/forums/attachments/f5/3838d1287860470-wheres-steady-poachers-bottle-copy.jpghttp://www.jollyhucksters.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/poacher.jpg

Jelvis
10-24-2010, 04:54 PM
No don't you dare shoot that big buck, it's on cultivated land you you ____er.
JP ... Private cultivated land .. Do you know what (cultivated) means?
Hint it starts with any cleared land for gr--ing c--ps.
You bin Tun-der strucked .. a gaan .. AMW ...........

clell
10-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Very interesting thread. A few years ago as a new hunter I expected hunters to be careful, honorable, law abiding similar to most of the replies in this thread. My hunting experience is limited, but most of the hunters I have met are the complete opposite. I have seen dead animals left to rot (probably too many tines to be an immy determined after it was shot), had shots come through the tree tops of our camp from guys on the road injuring an animal at dusk- at least 10-12 shots where fired - sounded like a gun fight. One guy that shoots 3-4 Moose and Elk each year and brags about it (gets them for family and friends with tags). Offers such as "You haven't shot your xxx yet? If I see one today I will shoot it for you." which was politely declined. Met some guys drinking, driving, and hunting and heard about how they missed an easy shot so went to sight in the rifle and how the stupid rifle had a problem as the shots where all over the place to which my buddy replied maybe it was the dozen beer that was the problem (they actually thought that was pretty funny). Rifles being dropped hard/fallen on without being resighted. These are just a few stories from people I had never met before. It seems most of the replies for this thread don't jive with what I have seen in the real world.

Barracuda
10-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clell http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=772208#post772208)
Very interesting thread. A few years ago as a new hunter I expected hunters to be careful, honorable, law abiding similar to most of the replies in this thread. My hunting experience is limited, but most of the hunters I have met are the complete opposite. .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps a better quality of person is in order?
I hear horror story after horror story from decent folks that go hunting with people that in day to day life are decent yet when it comes to hunting they turn into jackasses.
The sooner jackasses are weeded out of the hunting community the better

Its an easy thing to say "real world" and very often people that ignore the rules justify it by saying everyone else is doing it (which does not make it right).

I agree with you that many hunters do ignore rules they dont like and very often they are the born and raised self entitled residents that should know better.

Personally I would like to believe that the vast majority are ethical and do thier best to stay within boundries of the regulations (mistakes happen , it is the guy that ignores the rules on purpose that i am talking about).

The type of person that would cheat at hunting is the type of person that would cheat at sports .

I feel sorry for thier kids .

kgs
10-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Very interesting thread. A few years ago as a new hunter I expected hunters to be careful, honorable, law abiding similar to most of the replies in this thread. My hunting experience is limited, but most of the hunters I have met are the complete opposite. I have seen dead animals left to rot (probably too many tines to be an immy determined after it was shot), had shots come through the tree tops of our camp from guys on the road injuring an animal at dusk- at least 10-12 shots where fired - sounded like a gun fight. One guy that shoots 3-4 Moose and Elk each year and brags about it (gets them for family and friends with tags). Offers such as "You haven't shot your xxx yet? If I see one today I will shoot it for you." which was politely declined. Met some guys drinking, driving, and hunting and heard about how they missed an easy shot so went to sight in the rifle and how the stupid rifle had a problem as the shots where all over the place to which my buddy replied maybe it was the dozen beer that was the problem (they actually thought that was pretty funny). Rifles being dropped hard/fallen on without being resighted. These are just a few stories from people I had never met before. It seems most of the replies for this thread don't jive with what I have seen in the real world.

LOL do we live in the same area because I have experienced everything you just described. The good news is I do run in to some great ethical hunters the problem is they are very few of them. The most recent meeting I had with hunters was two older guys driving a company truck both were so smashed that I could hardly talk to them. I wrote down their plate number and later called the RCMP. But wow these guys were hunting and had guns very scary.

10-25-2010, 01:13 PM
http://www.huntshoot.com/forums/attachments/f5/3838d1287860470-wheres-steady-poachers-bottle-copy.jpg

Are you kidding me? Does that stuff come with a free spotlight in the box?

steel_ram
10-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Try stickin an arrow in a bullet hole . . . sorry, your not fooling anybody.

Bring two bucks into the local Sporting goods because you just had to show them off at 11 am opening morning . . . already cold and stiff. Hmmm?

Jelvis
10-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Do not forget to leave a testicle on the meat or the bone on the head piece.
The testicle must be attached in the sack a rilly yack ..
Or you'll be in the penalty box
JP .. Testi calli Rose

ruger#1
10-27-2010, 05:27 PM
A new avatar for tombstone. http://www.jollyhucksters.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/poacher.jpg

doubled
10-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Now that is funny.

I haven't heard of that beer either.