PDA

View Full Version : How many people cut the animals throat after it's been shot?

Bill Dance
10-20-2010, 09:00 PM
This question probably has been asked before but I had this discussion with my dad and he's always heard that you are supposed to cut it's throat after the animal is dead to bled out. My question is what difference does it make? I have never cut the animal's throat and I don't see any difference.

The Dawg
10-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh Mooooooooooooossssssssssinnnnnnnn?

:mrgreen:

Gope
10-20-2010, 09:02 PM
For me it depends on the vehicle im driving, my ford slit its throat and toss it in the back. While my jeep does have a bed liner inside it, I prefer not to cut the throat to keep mess to a minimum.

moosinaround
10-20-2010, 09:04 PM
A critters heart must be beating in order to pump any blood out! So if a person was to wound an animal and walk up and cut it's throat then yes it would bleed out! If it is dead already it is just the blood left in the jugular that is draining out not anything else. A more affective way to bleed an animal is to hit it in the heart and lungs, it will then bleed out into the chest cavity and it will drain most of the blood when you split the chest or cut the diaphram! Moosin

moosinaround
10-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Dawgs deer was still kicking last year when we walked up to it. I cut it's throat and it blead out in the snow! If it was dead there is not much point in cutting its throat!

Bill Dance
10-20-2010, 09:09 PM
I totally agree with you Moosin!

killman
10-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Like Moosin said most are Bled out with a good Lung shot. No need to wreck the cape and dull your knife.

little moose
10-20-2010, 09:12 PM
most of the time i cut it cause its easer for feild dressing, unless its a wall hanger

Caveman
10-20-2010, 09:12 PM
With today's high shock ammunition there is no point as well as the animal has likely already bled out after the shot.

Yotapup
10-20-2010, 09:17 PM
I've immediately cleaned fish that I've caught on occasion, and the heart is still beating for at least 5 mins after I've cut the heart out. Even holding it in my hand with nothing else attached... it still beats.

That being said, maybe the same for game as well. And if not, could maybe still be possible before the blood hardens (coagulates)

I dunno. I cut the throat of the bear I shot, and I bled a good amount after it was already dead. Made cleaning slightly less messy, still crammed it into the back of my honda with no mess.

Buckmaster123
10-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Waist of meat with the potential of contaminating the cut with soil and such.......... but if it makes you feel more like a hunter, to each there own!

Oh ya, what Mossin said too!!

Bill Dance
10-20-2010, 09:20 PM
My next question is what difference does it make to the animal as far as taste or anything else?

The Dawg
10-20-2010, 09:22 PM
I cant tell the difference between my deer and Mikes. They were shot at the same time (within seconds). Ones throat was slit and the others wasnt.

Bill Dance
10-20-2010, 09:25 PM
I cant tell the difference between my deer and Mikes. They were shot at the same time (within seconds). Ones throat was slit and the others wasnt.
That's kinda what I thought too but I thought maybe I was missing something.

Shooter Jr.
10-20-2010, 09:28 PM
We don't usually. I did it this year once cause it was hit in the top of the stomach and was a mess up there so I cut it so i could just pull the trachea out and not reach up in there. Other than that we never have....

moosinaround
10-20-2010, 09:29 PM
My next question is what difference does it make to the animal as far as taste or anything else?
Meat taste and tenderness is affected by how you kill the animal, and how fast you get it cooled, and the hide off. A one shot bang flop is better than a wounded chase it for three hours kind of death. I like to knock the guts out and get em cooling as fast as I can. I like to skin them while they are still warm, and then open up the hams, the neck, and along the rib cage on the fronts. I wipe them down with warm water and sometimes vinegar, and if there is some dirt, pee, or poop contamination cut it out and wash it with some fresh cool water. Let it hang for however many days you like, a spike fork could be hung from 3-10 days, and a big ole rut bull should hang a minimum of 10 days! Then cut it up and BBQ for a year!! Or in your case 2 years!!:wink: You lucky bugger!! Moosin

Bill Dance
10-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Meat taste and tenderness is affected by how you kill the animal, and how fast you get it cooled, and the hide off. A one shot bang flop is better than a wounded chase it for three hours kind of death. I like to knock the guts out and get em cooling as fast as I can. I like to skin them while they are still warm, and then open up the hams, the neck, and along the rib cage on the fronts. I wipe them down with warm water and sometimes vinegar, and if there is some dirt, pee, or poop contamination cut it out and wash it with some fresh cool water. Let it hang for however many days you like, a spike fork could be hung from 3-10 days, and a big ole rut bull should hang a minimum of 10 days! Then cut it up and BBQ for a year!! Or in your case 2 years!!:wink: You lucky bugger!! Moosin
LOL! No luck involved but I'm noticing that I'm walking a little funny with that horseshoe hanging out of my bum.:wink:

BlacktailStalker
10-20-2010, 09:37 PM
I would but all my shots are through the heart and lungs so they're bled out when I get to them ;)

killman
10-20-2010, 09:38 PM
LOL! No luck involved but I'm noticing that I'm walking a little funny with that horse hanging out of my bum.:wink:

LOL fixed that for you..:mrgreen:

Bill Dance
10-20-2010, 09:42 PM
LOL fixed that for you..:mrgreen:
Holy crap that's hilarious! LOL! With all those shoes I should be able to bag a nice size buck too.

BromBones
10-20-2010, 09:51 PM
I think it's funny how some guys are adamant that the throat be cut, after they just put a big hole crossways through its lungs/heart.

It's not like a fatted pig hanging upside down from the tractor bucket ready to be drained :mrgreen: