PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with an ATV and No Helmet

recon
10-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Guilty- I don't wear one when I'm in hunting mode. I tend to carry a lot of gear, sometimes overnight kit on my quad, the last thing I need is a bulky helmet to carry and wear. Moreover, the frequent stops make it a major hassle. I keep my speed under 30km/hr generally, just putting along.

I don't wear a helmet when I'm golfing and driving a golf cart either...

So I guess I'm screwed if I get stopped by John Law? Besides the Chipmunk Creek area in Chilliwack, is a police stop likely?

Would a C.O. be looking for helmet compliance also?

I'd love your thoughts...

shawnwells
10-20-2010, 02:16 PM
god i hope not...this worlds getting soft....

10-20-2010, 02:20 PM
god i hope not...this worlds getting soft....

We all need to be safe you know! Safety is paramount!
No your limits play with in it

Cyrus
10-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Don't think that law has been introduced yet.....but not totally sure! There was a thread on this a few weeks ago...but ya, wth you, no helmet for this guy when hunting....

10-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Really though,
The trouble doesnt arise while you are hunting. It is when you shot your deer whatever and are trying to get your quad to it. I might have made a sarcastic comment above but.....

You should always have one even a small one around on the bike. A friend of mine frome ucluelet almost died when his bike landed on him when he was recovering an animal. He broke some bones and litterally dragged himself to his truck.

While you are put putting down the road looking for something to shoot is not when you are risking injury. It is after you shot and are riding your limit to get to the animal and recover it.

PS the world is getting soft though!

shawnwells
10-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Really though,
The trouble doesnt arise while you are hunting. It is when you shot your deer whatever and are trying to get your quad to it. I might have made a sarcastic comment above but.....

You should always have one even a small one around on the bike. A friend of mine frome ucluelet almost died when his bike landed on him when he was recovering an animal. He broke some bones and litterally dragged himself to his truck.

While you are put putting down the road looking for something to shoot is not when you are risking injury. It is after you shot and are riding your limit to get to the animal and recover it.

PS the world is getting soft though!

true...i did wear my street bike beanie the first few times when i first got a quad....just in case...

KodiakHntr
10-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Guilty- I don't wear one when I'm in hunting mode. I tend to carry a lot of gear, sometimes overnight kit on my quad, the last thing I need is a traumatic head injury which will require me to wear a bulky helmet for the rest of my life . Moreover, the frequent stops make it a major hassle. I keep my speed under 30km/hr generally, just putting along.

I don't wear a helmet when I'm golfing and driving a golf cart either...

So I guess I'm screwed if I get stopped by John Law? Besides the Chipmunk Creek area in Chilliwack, is a police stop likely?

Would a C.O. be looking for helmet compliance also?

I'd love your thoughts...

Just busting your balls.
I understand where you are coming from, as I was that guy too. Right up till I was hit by a rock that rolled down off a cut slope as I was tooling along at a whole 34 km/hr.

That, and I've had bikes upside down trying to get them into ugly little spots for whatever reason where I was travelling at maybe 3 km/hr.

It isn't speed that is the issue, its having that critter land on your skull.

But it would be interesting to know if anyone is getting stopped by CO's for no helmets.

mcrae
10-20-2010, 04:00 PM
The catch is that you are required to have third party liabilty on FSR roads these days right...

But your insurnace is null and void if you are not wearing a helmet while riding.

So if they stop you and your not wearing a helmet does that mean your still insured? Not sure if they can use that loop hole but makes me wonder...

ufishifish2
10-20-2010, 04:45 PM
If I'm going slow, I don't wear a helmet. It always gets in the way of my bino's. If I'm flying along, I always wear a helmet - period.
Guess I'm just a crazy rebel!!!

Sitkaspruce
10-20-2010, 05:18 PM
There is no regulation that makes it mandatory for a helmet on an FSR, unless you are riding a trike or a motorcycle. Not mandatory for a quad.....yet.

Your third person liability, your life insurance, any other insurance you may have and your family may and probably will say something different, but as for the law, there is nothing while being on an FSR w/a quad.

However, when the OVR regs come into affect by Nov 2011, there will be some changes, including;

Safety:

· All ORV riders will be required to wear a helmet and use lights for low-visibility conditions on Crown land, including road rights of way. Seatbelts must also be worn where installed by the manufacturer.

It all here in black and white....literally:wink:

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2009-2013/2009TCA0012-000602.htm#

Cheers

SS

Kyle84
10-20-2010, 05:31 PM
x2 with mcrae

swampthing
10-20-2010, 05:37 PM
A guy should wear a helmut. I always wore one when racing quads but didnt while hunting, until I ended up under a very heavy arctic cat with the handlebar rocking back and forth over my bloody mouth. I am an expert on an atv, I dont need that I thought. After that I bought a camo open face. I can shoot with it on. I feel good being a good example to my boys as well. Tickets are now being issued for this.

300H&H
10-20-2010, 05:43 PM
You must wear one when you are on a paved road or on a FSR.
Other than that go O'Natural.
I personally dont wear one off road, but on a FSR I wear my half helmet type.
My wife naggggggs me about it. :-?

Vader
10-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Are you really hunting if you are on the quad? I am always going hunting... not hunting.

I tried running without a helmet and to be honest.. on the fast transit phase of riding to my general hunting area, I honestly couldn't hear like I should have because of the engine sounds and wind noise going by my ears screwed up the acuity. I also didn't like the watery eyes during the run and the frozen lips. Trying to blow an external reed bugle/cow call for about 20 minutes was pretty ugly.. Much nicer to have the warm face from a visor or full face and some noise reduction from the helmet itself. I do agree that the damn thing is bulky and you are moving at 3 kph and don't want to wear it, where the heck do you put it.. I haven't hurt myself while cruising, but I have been upside down 3x at under 5 kph and presently sporting a nice dent in my chest from a broken rib from 2 weeks ago. Don't recall if I whacked my head. Would have known I'm sure if I hadn't been wearing the old skid lid. I sure don't want to gear up with a chest protector too.. gotta be some risk thing to make riding it exciting... ;-)

BCTRUCKER
10-20-2010, 06:23 PM
I got stopped by two conservation officers last Saturday. Didn't say anything about not having a helmet. But asked if I knew of new atv laws that are coming in next year. Speed limits,and liability insurance. And probably having to have plates as well on quads. Then they asked if I knew about BCWF quad insurance, told me that would be the cheapish get. But who knows what going to be required as of next year. MIKE

mudNblood
10-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Helmets should be recommended but optional. The sikhs don't have to wear a helmet on street bikes at highway speeds cause their religion and I don't recall hearing about DOT rated turbans. Well,,, hunting is as close to a religion as I'll ever have so I, as a Canadian should have the similar rights as those Indo-canadians.

Sitkaspruce
10-20-2010, 08:29 PM
There is no regulation that makes it mandatory for a helmet on an FSR, unless you are riding a trike or a motorcycle. Not mandatory for a quad.....yet.

Your third person liability, your life insurance, any other insurance you may have and your family may and probably will say something different, but as for the law, there is nothing while being on an FSR w/a quad.

However, when the OVR regs come into affect by Nov 2011, there will be some changes, including;

Safety:

· All ORV riders will be required to wear a helmet and use lights for low-visibility conditions on Crown land, including road rights of way. Seatbelts must also be worn where installed by the manufacturer.

It all here in black and white....literally:wink:

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2009-2013/2009TCA0012-000602.htm#

Cheers

SS

You must wear one when you are on a paved road or on a FSR.
Other than that go O'Natural.
I personally dont wear one off road, but on a FSR I wear my half helmet type.
My wife naggggggs me about it. :-?

I reposted what I just said above as you might have missed it above. No mandatory helmet when on a quad on an FSR:wink:

I got stopped by two conservation officers last Saturday. Didn't say anything about not having a helmet. But asked if I knew of new atv laws that are coming in next year. Speed limits,and liability insurance. And probably having to have plates as well on quads. Then they asked if I knew about BCWF quad insurance, told me that would be the cheapish get. But who knows what going to be required as of next year. MIKE

As above, the link to the gov announcement that will be phased in over the next year. It is the sign of the times.

Cheers

SS

Jonas111
10-20-2010, 08:37 PM
I usually wear my helmet until I get where I'm going and then it stays on the quad. Good thing too, I went up Saturday morning early and was moving along pretty good and happened to miss a turn and went Into a ditch and busted my steering knuckle and the quad flipped on it's side in a matter of seconds. I landed flat on my back and also smacked the back of my helmet pretty hard and knocked the wind out of me.

I will always wear my helmet when I'm going quick to get to my spot but when I'm going slow through the bush I would rather not wear one. But I am sure thinking of getting an open faced one now.

chinooker
10-20-2010, 09:40 PM
I do not and never will wear a helmet law or no law, not saying they are a bad idea if you choose to wear one. I think if you don't ride like an A hole you will probably be fine. Yes there are freak accidents, but does that mean you shouldnt go outside cause you could get struck by lightning!:-D

gutpile
10-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Wear a turban than you won't have to wear a helmut !

Walksalot
10-21-2010, 05:05 AM
I might not be writing this had I been not wearing a helmet and I came so close to leaving the helmet in the truck. It's that "it won't happen to me" syndrome.