PDA

View Full Version : soup/stew stock from bones

ratherbefishin
10-20-2010, 01:38 PM
I just pressure cooked up all the bones from my moose-the butcher bones everything out and typically discards the bones.I pressure cooked 3 batches of bones-came out with about 15 big margerine tubs of soup/stew stock that will be frozen for making soup and stews for the winter.After pressure cooking for a couple of hours,I take all the meat off the bones,discard them ,and let the stock cool right down overnight outside ,skim the fat and then put up the resulting jelly and meat into containers and freeze it.May as well save it-afterall, I paid for it!

MB_Boy
10-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Good call.......I do make a lot of stocks out of various bones/leftovers.

Did you add any onions, carrots, celery, garlic herbs etc at all or just the bones?

c.r.hunter
10-20-2010, 01:52 PM
To take it a step further, I typically roast the bones with a bunch of veggies(onions, carrots, cellery, a pepper & a tomato). Then put it all into a stock pot, cover with water and simmer until you have a nice stock. Season with sea salt then pressure can into small jars. I use the stock for everything like making gravy, soup base, add it to rice ect.... It lasts for ever in the jar and is well worth the effort.

10-20-2010, 02:10 PM
just butchered a couple deer and was thinking about doing that.
i just need a big pot and one of thoes bigass out door burners.
a guy could buck an onion or 2 and some garlic bulbs and some rosemary stc into it.

mmmmmm need a pot'n burner

MB_Boy
10-20-2010, 02:15 PM
just butchered a couple deer and was thinking about doing that.
i just need a big pot and one of thoes bigass out door burners.
a guy could buck an onion or 2 and some garlic bulbs and some rosemary stc into it.

mmmmmm need a pot'n burner

Yup....all sorts of veggies as I mentioned above. One thing to bear in mind if you DO use rosemary as go easy with it as it can give a really, really strong distinctive flavour that you are going to notice everytime you go to use the stock. Some thyme and more subtle herbs may be a better call.

10-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Yup....all sorts of veggies as I mentioned above. One thing to bear in mind if you DO use rosemary as go easy with it as it can give a really, really strong distinctive flavour that you are going to notice everytime you go to use the stock. Some thyme and more subtle herbs may be a better call.

Got that in my front yard as well!
Think i might go to Value village and look for a big pot. I could stuff it on the coleman outside. I just dont like all that moisture inside when im doing major boiling like crab etc.

MB_Boy
10-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Got that in my front yard as well!
Think i might go to Value village and look for a big pot. I could stuff it on the coleman outside. I just dont like all that moisture inside when im doing major boiling like crab etc.

I hear ya.....you may also depending on where you are or what's in your area look for a restaurant supply store. I seem to recall one in Vancouver that would sell used equipment as well. I think that is where we got our big 'crab pot' a bunch of years ago.

Gateholio
10-20-2010, 03:37 PM
I woudln't use rosemary in a stock, unless you only want to taste rosemary.

Classic aromatics for a stock are:

Onions, celery, carrots, leek, thyme, bay leave, parsley, black peppercorn

I would also throw in some tomato or mushroom if I had soem that were older and getting past prime.

Avoid all the cabbages like broccoli/cauliflower, green peppers, root vegetables like rutabaga or parsnip.

10-20-2010, 03:40 PM
But i like rosemary! :)

Just have to find the deer now...... Im sold. This thread is going to my file

MB_Boy
10-20-2010, 03:41 PM
But i like rosemary! :)

Ha ha.....then add it to the sauce when you MAKE it....not the stock that is going to be your base. :wink:

I love rosemary too........but not in some preparations or dishes.

Gateholio
10-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah, a base stock should be reasonably neutral. It really should just taste like meat.:-D

The seasonings and veggies just give it some depth of flavour. Too much of anything will overpower it.:-D

c.r.hunter
10-20-2010, 05:36 PM
As Gatehouse mentioned, I always add bay leaves as well. Another note, be sure to throw in the leafy parts of the celery. The leaves have alot more flavour than the stocks.

tomahawk
10-20-2010, 06:29 PM
I just pressure cooked up all the bones from my moose-the butcher bones everything out and typically discards the bones.I pressure cooked 3 batches of bones-came out with about 15 big margerine tubs of soup/stew stock that will be frozen for making soup and stews for the winter.After pressure cooking for a couple of hours,I take all the meat off the bones,discard them ,and let the stock cool right down overnight outside ,skim the fat and then put up the resulting jelly and meat into containers and freeze it.May as well save it-afterall, I paid for it!

That's great, I make my own stock as well and have enough like you say to do the winter and then some!!

ratherbefishin
10-21-2010, 06:23 AM
I hadn't thought of roasting the bones first-that would give it more flavour.But when you think-this is the stuff people throw out-and I have 15 big tubs of meat and jelly for soup/stew base...I always save vegetable/potato water too,freeze that in yogurt containers,so we just add onions, celery[yes-use the leaves] carrots, green peas,mushrooms ,peppers and whatever seasoning comes to hand.A shot of worchestershire sauce,Soy sauce or a package of french onion soup base adds a nice flavour.Sometimes I add either a handful of barley-or break up pasta into 1'' pieces ,and put that in.I thicken it a bit with a spoon of cornstarch so it isn't watery.Any left over vegetables[especially roasted vegetables] from dinner go into the soup pot...add a baguette*,a wedge of old cheddar and a glass of red wine and you have great meal all in itself...from''leftovers''

* make your own baguettes-flour,water,salt and yeast-[do NOT use milk,oil or sugar-you want them ''crusty''].Knead well,roll out into a long loaf,and bake on a pizza stone,and eat right away-they go hard overnight.Do NOT CUT WITH A KNIFE-sacrilege!-Baguettes are to be''broken''