PDA

View Full Version : Quad gun holder??

Sitkaspruce
10-19-2010, 07:32 PM
So after owning my quad for 13 years, I am finally going to break down and follow FD's and a few others tracks and hunt off my quad. I have just over 1000 k's on the girl and 400 of it has been this year, doing lots of scouting and using it to access some areas up north while on our moose hunt.

I am still a walker, but instead of burning copious amounts of fuel and possibly doing some damage to the truck, I am going to use the quad to acces those animal spots.

My question is, what is your choice of gun rack/holder??

I had a Koplin hard scabbard and mount, but I kicked it off once when I went to get off my bike and hit it with my foot, the plastic could not take the cold and broke. I have just been using a soft Koplin and bungies to hold the gun in place on the front rack.

I want one that can be removed or folded away so I can place quarters and such on my racks.

Cheers

SS

Bisonfirst
10-19-2010, 07:35 PM
I think that having a exposed style rack and also the enclosed boot are useful depending on the situation.

frenchbar
10-19-2010, 07:37 PM
I lay mine in a scabbard on the front rack like you ss ...i never get any thing to haul out so it works out great :mrgreen:

cavebear
10-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Do you have the threaded holes on your handle bars?

If so there are several types of pinch holders that work great.:-D

MuleyMadness
10-19-2010, 07:53 PM
I have a scabbard and a pair of these:

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/products/utility-grips-presses/grips/gear-grips.html

They hold the rifle really well, and are quick to get it out if something provides you with an opportunity while driving. That plus they have a quick release system where only the very bottom 1/4" is left on the rack if you want to remove the grips, so no problems with putting quarters on there. Never had a problem with mine.

eaglesj
10-19-2010, 08:00 PM
I like my Koplin gun boot, and you can get metal brackets for them. I like how it absorbs some of the bouncing when you are going down the trail, and it keeps the gun clean. The squeeze ones that go on top of your handlebars are useful for some occasions, but not for ripping out to the site in the mud/snow/rain, all of which is hard on your pricey rifle.

I do not have the metal bracket for mine, but I did put a piece of plywood in the bracket where the U bolts go through. Much stronger, although it still does not hold up to 165 pounds rolling over backwards on top of it... go figure.

BlacktailStalker
10-19-2010, 08:03 PM
I had the kolpin removeable clamp style that goes on your front rack but the plastic tabs broke easily ($70)
Not a fan of the gun boot because it means you can only bail from one side and you'll crush your rifle if you roll.
Sometimes I tote mine in my OGIO front bag with just the barrel sticking out a bit but 90% of the time I have it slung over my head and across my back with my clip in my pocket, real quick access and damaging it is unlikely should it get 'western'

Matty_ola
10-19-2010, 08:09 PM
I have a scabbard and a pair of these:

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/products/utility-grips-presses/grips/gear-grips.html

They hold the rifle really well, and are quick to get it out if something provides you with an opportunity while driving. That plus they have a quick release system where only the very bottom 1/4" is left on the rack if you want to remove the grips, so no problems with putting quarters on there. Never had a problem with mine.

I bought the exact same set from WSS a few months back and last trip out the screws stripped out of one of them and it blew appart :(

I'm on set number 2 and from what customer service at Kolpin said is, I should keep an eye on the screws and re-tightened them from time to time as the vibrations from quads can cause them to come loose and under load they will disassemble... WTF... HOW ABOUT A LITTLE LOC-TITE MAYBE.

So just a little FYI the screws are behind the Kolpin decal, If you notice the clamp is skipping teeth when you clamp something down it's likely from a loose screw... No pun intended;)

Matty_ola
10-19-2010, 08:20 PM
For the serious road hunter

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad78/matty_ola/id_mgator_700_20.jpg

huntcoop
10-19-2010, 08:58 PM
I used these this on my first week long hunt and they worked great....

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Gun_Boot_IV___Bl_4c0d1caa140df.jpg

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Gun_Boot_IV_Loop_485a18c6408d1.jpg

goatdancer
10-20-2010, 12:25 PM
I had the kolpin removeable clamp style that goes on your front rack but the plastic tabs broke easily ($70)
Not a fan of the gun boot because it means you can only bail from one side and you'll crush your rifle if you roll.
Sometimes I tote mine in my OGIO front bag with just the barrel sticking out a bit but 90% of the time I have it slung over my head and across my back with my clip in my pocket, real quick access and damaging it is unlikely should it get 'western'

I think you'll crush more than just your rifle if you roll, no matter how you carry it.