PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail Doe

the sentencer
10-19-2010, 07:31 PM
So last week I took off Thursday night and hunted until Sunday to try and get myself a whitey doe but didn't have any success. I tryed around Merritt, Falkland, Christian Valley and Osooyos but came up with jack all. I saw some muley does and that was all. Everyone else I asked hadn't come up with anything either. My question what type of terrain do whitetail like? Do they like the tighter bush or the more open plains? Do they mind dry terrirory or prefer more wet habitat? I tryed it all to no avail. Is there anywhere some can direct me? I tryed every place I could think of but got nothing. All I want is some whitetail meat and don't care about a buck. The wife doesn't like the taste of muley to much so I need to get myself a whitey this season. Any help is appreciated.

pearljam
10-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Get in the thick stuff....... Seen 6 today at one of the areas you posted. Shot a nice old one. gonna be good eats

sakohunter
10-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Sound like you are in some good area's. Maybe you are just hunting way to fast. I agree that they tend to come out of the thicker bush, but speed hunting is know way to figure it out. Where we went last weekend was filled with hunters most of them on quads or in trucks, that equals lots of spooky deer not standing on the side of the road. So slow down and go to them and most important wear blaze orange so you don't get shot.

TPB
10-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Seen 8 today all standing around asking to be shot the funny thing is i was grouse hunting for the hell of it. I bet if i had my .270 and not the .22 i would see plenty of grouse but no deer figures eh. To answer your question i seen them all around 1000 m in the thick stuff. best of luck

jonz
10-19-2010, 07:59 PM
1 problem might be that you were in way too many areas in 3 days. Not enough focus.

Pete
10-19-2010, 08:13 PM
The areas that you went through are great spots. Slow down pick a spot and take your time. Don't be in such a hurry to move, you will get your deer

5 spike
10-19-2010, 08:27 PM
the areas you went through are the best spots. pick one of these areas and stay put. it will happen get off the roads check out the slashes and when glassing the slashes when you see a ridge in the middle that you cant see the other side of walk in very slowley and have a good glass around. those are the spots they love to bed in or just stand and wait for the road hunter to drive by. good luck and i no there will be a great storey and pics posted soon.

3kills
10-19-2010, 09:09 PM
usually when i see them around here it is early mornin or late evening. usually comin off of fields and headin into the thick stuff. the 4 or 5 i seen last week were just comin off the fields and i knew roughly where they come off but the took me by surprise and came off in a different spot and i wasnt even at the spot where i park and walk in yet. i guess next time i go in i park sooner then i usually do seems like they have changed there pattern in this one spot. with sayin that last year i shot my buck in a clear cut right by a main road at 9 in the mornin

jackychiles
10-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I have been out twice. I saw 8 whitetail does the first time down by Rock Creek, didn't get one but I have never seen so many hunters, mostly road guys and one of them drove his truck right up to me as I was picking out a nice doe. Wasn't too pleased with him.

Then this weekend we went out ( a pile of hunters again) and I didn't see much until about 1:30 PM when I saw a nice buck, but by the time I had a good shot it was gone. About 20 min later I ran across 2 whitetail does. I watched, picked the biggest one and took it. We had hiked a fair bit to get away from people but it was worth it. It look delicious. :) I will wait now for bow season and try to get a buck.

BlackBear
10-24-2010, 07:14 PM
As others have suggested, it is best to focus and intensify your search in a specific area. When hunting in high pressure areas for White-tailed deer, I tend to look for sparse/open timber with natural clearings (i.e., transition zones) well away from cut blocks. It's best to let the road hunters ramp up the pressure on the cut blocks.

When under hunting pressure, White-tailed deer tend to feed in the early morning or late evening in cut blocks. As such, deer will often travel through transition zones in the late morning or early afternoon as they move from feeding areas to bedding areas. Transition zones often have very little sign other than tracks and a few droppings because the deer aren't really feeding or staying very long. However, transition zones often have well worn trails and active scrape lines.

After October 1st (opening for any buck season - when hunting pressure increases), I tend to stop hunting cut blocks; instead, I use the road hunting pressure to my advantage while I hunt transition zones. Tree stands and still hunting work well for transition zones.

boxhitch
10-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Falkland wouldn't be my first choice for WT., but south OK should be good
Pick an area and hunt bottom to top to know what is where